PAYNE A GOPHER!!

Nice pickup, I haven't seen him play but reminds me a little bit of Nnaji from his video's.

Just stop. You continue to say it is not racially motivated to classify it as a diversity hire? Get real.

Nobody really cares if you think the hire was qualified, because you are not aware of any actual details and you were not responsible for the hire. There are many who have applauded the hire that know much more about basketball than all of us combined.

Just to address your ridiculous insults about the Gopher roster. Have you ever been involved in a major reorganization? First priority is to establish the culture. You weed out the old culture and fill the organization with talent that will meet your culture and objectives. Ben could easily have brought in some “higher” touted players this first year, it is a fricking B1G program! But he wanted to bring in high character guys that will establish the culture and focus on the next year recruiting.
Your first sentence does not make any sense whatsoever, I never once said that calling something a diversity hire is not about race. I openly said it was a diversity hire. That has obvious racial implications.

You obviously care what I think. You get completely bent out of shape when anyone says anything even close to resembling something negative about Ben. You are here to white knight for Ben Johnson any time anyone questions the hire. It's fair to say you don't agree with my opinion, but you can't say you don't care. You care immensely.

As to your last point, yes I have. Have you? I've seen you attempt to make a point on here and I think the closest thing you've come to a major reorganization is the shift change at Subway. I've never seen a spun off organization be unable to fill their most lucrative positions (you know like Big 10 scholarships). I'll tell you, to investors, not being able to even fill those high salaried positions would be a MAJOR red flag. So yeah, I have been around them. If you want to use this analogy, our shareholders would be considerably less kind to Coyle/Johnson's first three months than Gopher fandom.

That said, because you get blinded by hissy fit if anyone gives any sort of critique, you've missed where I stand. I've said numerous times on this thread that I don't really care about the roster construction this year. But that I understand why some people are alarmed. I know this is going to be a foreign concept to you, but I can disagree with something while still understanding where the other side is coming from.. But me, personally, I don't really care. I said weeks ago that if we landed Carrington, Payne, and Olo-Joseph, I'd consider this offseason a success. I am happy with the program right now, but I also don't think Ben Johnson needs idiots like you white knighting him against any criticism. He'll get criticized, he's a Big 10 basketball coach.

Nice pickup, I haven't seen him play but reminds me a little bit of Nnaji from his video's.
Nnaji was more of a polished offensive player, but Payne is a better defensive player and more active (IMO).

Your first sentence does not make any sense whatsoever, I never once said that calling something a diversity hire is not about race. I openly said it was a diversity hire. That has obvious racial implications.

You obviously care what I think. You get completely bent out of shape when anyone says anything even close to resembling something negative about Ben. You are here to white knight for Ben Johnson any time anyone questions the hire. It's fair to say you don't agree with my opinion, but you can't say you don't care. You care immensely.

As to your last point, yes I have. Have you? I've seen you attempt to make a point on here and I think the closest thing you've come to a major reorganization is the shift change at Subway. I've never seen a spun off organization be unable to fill their most lucrative positions (you know like Big 10 scholarships). I'll tell you, to investors, not being able to even fill those high salaried positions would be a MAJOR red flag. So yeah, I have been around them. If you want to use this analogy, our shareholders would be considerably less kind to Coyle/Johnson's first three months than Gopher fandom.

That said, because you get blinded by hissy fit if anyone gives any sort of critique, you've missed where I stand. I've said numerous times on this thread that I don't really care about the roster construction this year. But that I understand why some people are alarmed. I know this is going to be a foreign concept to you, but I can disagree with something while still understanding where the other side is coming from.. But me, personally, I don't really care. I said weeks ago that if we landed Carrington, Payne, and Olo-Joseph, I'd consider this offseason a success. I am happy with the program right now, but I also don't think Ben Johnson needs idiots like you white knighting him against any criticism. He'll get criticized, he's a Big 10 basketball coach.
Once again another thread hijacked. This thread is about Payne, not whether Johnson was a diversity hire or not. Please stick to the subject, some of you make this board unreadable.

People can and will rip the team this winter when the wins are slow come. They will likely point to the level of talent on this year's roster.

Like some others have said, I will be looking more at this team's competitive nature. I'll be looking for toughness. I'll be looking for hustle. I am hopeful that the current roster is full of scrappy underdogs. We will undoubtedly lose more than we win, but if this group establishes a program identity for the future, I think it's worth putting up with losses this season. Higher rated players may have brought us more wins, but without the right mentality, progress toward a truly competitive top-tier B1G team would be slowed.

On the right night, we may surprise a few teams. I hope this team annoys the crap out of everyone we play.
Awesome post.

Once again another thread hijacked. This thread is about Payne, not whether Johnson was a diversity hire or not. Please stick to the subject, some of you make this board unreadable.
I agree, just have trouble not reacting to some blow hards. You saved me from doing it again.... thanks.

I really like Payne. I think he will be more of an impact player than Chet, he can play several positions without being afraid to play inside. I liked how he put the ball on the floor and went right around the defender in that last video. This is just the start of a very good class.

I agree, just have trouble not reacting to some blow hards. You saved me from doing it again.... thanks.

I really like Payne. I think he will be more of an impact player than Chet, he can play several positions without being afraid to play inside. I liked how he put the ball on the floor and went right around the defender in that last video. This is just the start of a very good class.
More of an impact than Chet....come on. I like Payne and am very glad he's here but this is ludicrous. I believe we have a winner for preposterous statement of the year.

Many on here just go off when anyone says 1 negative word but the other side says things like this and doesn't want criticism? Ha shesh. Chet is special, just like Suggs. 1 year of him is better than 4 years of an average talent for so many reasons.

More of an impact than Chet....come on. I like Payne and am very glad he's here but this is ludicrous. I believe we have a winner for preposterous statement of the year.

Many on here just go off when anyone says 1 negative word but the other side says things like this and doesn't want criticism? Ha shesh. Chet is special, just like Suggs. 1 year of him is better than 4 years of an average talent for so many reasons.
ha, ha, ha.... OK, so I may have overstated his impact.

ha, ha, ha.... OK, so I may have overstated his impact.
ha fair! Listen i hope Payne is the next version of Murphy and is here 4 years and starts a MN wave of kids more than anyone but Chet/Suggs heck even the Jones boys are just different.

I will be interested to see where Payne ends up in the final rankings. I see they put him at 150, but they still have guys like Aligbe and others up there that I think fell a bit further than what they changed. Certainly will be fun to watch Payne all year knowing we will get him on the squad! Hopefully being committed will unlock another level to him when he isnt worried about his next steps.

Newest Gophers commit Pharrel Payne talks about joining Minnesota basketball​

By Chris Monter

does minnesota use September 1 to determine grade level? if so, if he was born a few weeks later he'd be entering his junior year?

quite the player for a 16 year old this past summer

does minnesota use September 1 to determine grade level? if so, if he was born a few weeks later he'd be entering his junior year?

quite the player for a 16 year old this past summer
Yeah I believe that is the date, it isn’t a hard deadline. A lot of it depends early childhood screenings. Parents have control as well. His age certainly only adds to his potential though for sure

When is the last time the Gophers got a white, 3+ star player from an exurban school like Lakeville?

All joking aside, just curious.
Not sure what you consider exurban. Hurt from Rochester?

When is the last time the Gophers got a white, 3+ star player from an exurban school like Lakeville?

All joking aside, just curious.
How many white, 3+ star players are from exurban schools in the last 20 years?

How many white, 3+ star players are from exurban schools in the last 20 years?
Um take a look at Wisconsons roster :ROFLMAO: Ruevers, Davidson, Ben Carlson, Ben Crowl, Tyler Wahl.
There are also guys like Mathew Hurt, Will Tschetter to name a few

Um take a look at Wisconsons roster :ROFLMAO: Ruevers, Davidson, Ben Carlson, Ben Crowl, Tyler Wahl.
You didn’t answer my question.

Also, not really missing a ton with that group aside from Hurt.

Jacobson would be in that category. That was a while ago

Pryz came a few years after Sam

Richert maybe but I agree with the earlier poster that hurt probably was the most recent

Top Bottom