Paul Reubens, the actor best known for portraying Pee-wee Herman, died Sunday night after a private bout of cancer. He was 70.

He wanted to keep his struggle with cancer private. Good for him. There were stories out there on the 26th about his arrest in Florida back in '91. Glad the dates didn't coincide.

R.I.P. PeeWee.

Before the movie and Playhouse TVs series, I remember watching Pee Wee on David Letterman, not being sure if it was a bit. It felt as though Dave wasn't necessarily positive either.

Before the movie and Playhouse TVs series, I remember watching Pee Wee on David Letterman, not being sure if it was a bit. It felt as though Dave wasn't necessarily positive either.

Letterman would do that kind of thing. Rubens must have been okay with it. He was on Letterman's NBC Show 11 times. All before the incident. And on the CBS show 3 times. All after the incident.

I was watching Blues Brothers a month ago and noticed for the first time that he had a role as a waiter in the movie. He was also very good in "Blow" considering his stereotype as Pee Wee.

the movie version of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was not great (IMHO), but Reubens was pretty funny as one of the main vampire's henchmen.

he also voiced a robot in "Flight of the Navigator," a kid's movie that I watched on HBO back in the day. (when it's 1:00am and you're stoned, it's amazing what you'll watch).

Letterman would do that kind of thing. Rubens must have been okay with it. He was on Letterman's NBC Show 11 times. All before the incident. And on the CBS show 3 times. All after the incident.
I was pretty sure after 2 or 3 appearances Dave was in on it, but those first couple...not sure (in an Andy Kaufman sort of way).

My favorite moment was after his arrest, when enough time had gone by he was asked to present at some award show as Paul Rubens. When he came on to present, the crowd went nuts cheering, laughing, etc. He stood there patiently until it was finally quiet, and asked "Heard any good jokes lately"? :)

Top Bottom