Patterson to Colorado

mkAz

Reaction score
I hate to see him go, but I guess that’s the nature of college football.

Same. I hate to see him go, but he needs to do what's best for his life. Good for him hopefully. For some reason I thought he was higher on the depth chart than just TE coach.

I don't mind this at all. Good coach, good recruiter, but Fleck has always said that he hopes his assistants have high aspirations for themselves.

Some head coaches - Jerry Kill, Kirk Ferentz, Scott Frost when he left UCF - like to keep the same gang around for years and years. And you can win that way. But Fleck clearly recruits coaches who are hungry for advancement. He's at the coaches convention right now, and I'm sure he's intent on finding two young and ambitious replacements for Patterson and Harasymiak.

I think it's interesting there's something called a coaching convention. It makes sense - I've just never considered it.

Too bad, but the route to advancement at MN probably looks steep with Ciarocca back and Simon the popular heir apparent. As a former head coach and offensive coordinator elsewhere always thought he might get advanced up the ladder here but wasn’t to be.

With Sanford sure to be fired in 18-24 months, maybe sooner with the head coach on the hot seat kind of an interesting move but the title looks more expansive on a resume.

Too bad, but the route to advancement at MN probably looks steep with Ciarocca back and Simon the popular heir apparent. As a former head coach and offensive coordinator elsewhere always thought he might get advanced up the ladder here but wasn’t to be.

With Sanford sure to be fired in 18-24 months, maybe sooner with the head coach on the hot seat kind of an interesting move but the title looks more expansive on a resume.
Plus I'm sure the passing game coordinator title comes with a nice pay bump. Patterson honestly stuck around longer than I thought he would. Hate losing assistants just like I hate losing guys to the portal, but it's the nature of the beast.

Plus I'm sure the NON-passing game coordinator title comes with a nice pay bump. Patterson honestly stuck around longer than I thought he would. Hate losing assistants just like I hate losing guys to the portal, but it's the nature of the beast.
Fixed it as that seems the appropriate title in Sanford Jrs’ O

Not sure Sanford is the one I would hook my train car too. He hasn't done anything recently to impress me offensively. Seems likely he will be gone in 2-3 years max and then what.... find another TE only coach somewhere else or go the mid major route.

Couple things…PJ is the man dictating the Gophers run more than they pass. Balll control time of possession and the ball is the program. Passing incompletion stops the clock, interception greatest fear.

Kirk in the past did not pass to the tight ends basically ever with PJ.

So I think Sanford will pass more than he did with MN and the tight ends will catch more passes in Colorado than in Minnesota.

So, not a tough decision for a tight ends coach really.

Not sure Sanford is the one I would hook my train car too. He hasn't done anything recently to impress me offensively. Seems likely he will be gone in 2-3 years max and then what.... find another TE only coach somewhere else or go the mid major route.
You wouldn’t hook yourself to a guy that has managed to be a head coach, and an offensive coordinator at 3 different power 5 schools (if you include Notre Dame) before the age of 40?

Say what you want about Sanford, but a dead end guy to coach for, he is not.

Couple things…PJ is the man dictating the Gophers run more than they pass. Balll control time of possession and the ball is the program. Passing incompletion stops the clock, interception greatest fear.

Kirk in the past did not pass to the tight ends basically ever with PJ.

So I think Sanford will pass more than he did with MN and the tight ends will catch more passes in Colorado than in Minnesota.

So, not a tough decision for a tight ends coach really.

Kirk already said that was because we didn't previously have the types of athletes at TE who he would want to throw to a lot. He also said he thinks that is different now on his second go round.

I think it's interesting there's something called a coaching convention. It makes sense - I've just never considered it.
I'm assuming it's tied to the BCS Title game, just like the the Final 4 has a convention for the basketball coaches.

Kirk already said that was because we didn't previously have the types of athletes at TE who he would want to throw to a lot. He also said he thinks that is different now on his second go round.

That point is so obvious, yet some people have a thick skull, can't seem to understand it, and bring up the TE issue over and over and over and over; as if throwing to the blocking TEs on the Goph roster in 2019 was somehow a better option than throwing to 2 and maybe 3 future NFL receivers and/or dump-off passes to multiple very skilled running backs.

Last edited:

That point is so obvious, yet some people have a thick skull, can't seem to understand it, and bring up the TE issue over and over and over and over; as if throwing to the blocking TEs on the Goph roster in 2019 was somehow a better option than throwing to 2 and maybe 3 future NFL receivers and/or dump-off passes to multiple very skilled running backs.
Yup, because you did the research on how often he threw to the tight ends at Western Michigan and other seasons at Minnesota with PJ.

It has not been a focus in recruiting for Kirk. Will Spann Ford have a career year? Maybe. He has NFL receiving talent but difficulty blocking effectively. We recruit blocking tight ends.

We threw to the backs about as often as the tight ends. Rodney led with 7 catches, Mo was next high with 3. Shannon in 9 games caught 0 passes.

We ran 43.1 times per game and passed 24.8 times on avg per game with 3 future NFL receivers in 2019. What will those numbers be with lesser receivers? I’ll go slightly less passes and more runs per game in 2022.

Last edited:

Hopefully KC calls a couple pass plays to BSF in the first game of the season so that the "throw to the TE" crowd doesn't have a coronary :)

Yup, because you did the research on how often he threw to the tight ends at Western Michigan and other seasons at Minnesota with PJ.

It has not been a focus in recruiting for Kirk. Will Spann Ford have a career year? Maybe. He has NFL receiving talent but difficulty blocking effectively. We recruit blocking tight ends.

We threw to the backs about as often as the tight ends. Rodney led with 7 catches, Mo was next high with 3. Shannon in 9 games caught 0 passes.

We ran 43.1 times per game and passed 24.8 times on avg per game with 3 future NFL receivers in 2019. What will those numbers be with lesser receivers? I’ll go slightly less passes and more runs per game in 2022.

Freiermuth only played 4 games under Ciarrocca at Penn St, but he was on pace to blow his previous receiving stats out of the water. So to say Ciarrocca can't use a good TE effectively is wrong.

The ball control, grind the clock offense was also far more Sanford than Fleck. Fleck definitely wants to run the ball and control the clock, but he wants to be able to throw as well. Sanford took one of the best passing offenses in the country at Western Kentucky and did the exact same thing he did here. Slowed the offense down to a snails pace in order to shorten the game and grind the clock. This is why Sanford was fired, and why they will throw the ball far more next season.

From my experience there are a lot of touchdowns scored at the afore mentioned convention/clinics. As is always the case, the coach with the pencil last, wins.

As to PJ wanting his coaches to leave for other jobs. Sorry, but that’s “coaches speak”. No head coach REALLY wants to start all over with new assistants. Especially married ones.

From my experience there are a lot of touchdowns scored at the afore mentioned convention/clinics. As is always the case, the coach with the pencil last, wins.

As to PJ wanting his coaches to leave for other jobs. Sorry, but that’s “coaches speak”. No head coach REALLY wants to start all over with new assistants. Especially married ones.
Of course Fleck doesn't want his coaches to leave, but he understands how the business works and as long as guys are getting promoted it is a good thing because it means you are hiring good coaches that are in demand.

Of course Fleck doesn't want his coaches to leave, but he understands how the business works and as long as guys are getting promoted it is a good thing because it means you are hiring good coaches that are in demand.
It also makes it much easier to find top notch replacements. If you come to MN and coach well, it'll improve your career. Honestly, this is a winner's mentality, PJ keeps surrounding himself with guys who work hard to improve their careers.

We lost 2 guys who went to be DCs and another who went to be an OC.

Yeah, and outside of the guys who aren't brought back the coaches that leave are moving up so it isn't like they are fleeing a bad situation. Fleck gives them a shot to prove themselves and they get better opportunities. Same thing Fleck got from Kill and Schiano.

You wouldn’t hook yourself to a guy that has managed to be a head coach, and an offensive coordinator at 3 different power 5 schools (if you include Notre Dame) before the age of 40?

Say what you want about Sanford, but a dead end guy to coach for, he is not.

The bigger issue is if Colorado doesn't get to a bowl game, it is likely they will all be fired at the end of next year. If I'm Clay, I'm not sure I would leave the current situation in Minnesota to hook my wagon up to a head coach who just fired a bunch of guys to save his own job. That usually doesn't end well.

The bigger issue is if Colorado doesn't get to a bowl game, it is likely they will all be fired at the end of next year. If I'm Clay, I'm not sure I would leave the current situation in Minnesota to hook my wagon up to a head coach who just fired a bunch of guys to save his own job. That usually doesn't end well.
How much more is he getting paid? A nice one year raise is worth the risk. Plus there will be plenty of jobs available after next year if he gets canned.

Maybe it wasn't only Patterson's decision?

Top Bottom