Patrick Reusse Turkey Award

All I have to do is write schit articles and have people bitch about them.

Dam, I think I could do that easily.
You’d have to be good enough at it to sell papers, get clicks, create buzz, make money. What exactly do you think Pat’s job is?

If I remember correctly, it was also written before the Wisconsin win and the bowl win. In that respect you could say up to that point the Gopher season was pretty shit.

Boy, for a guy everybody seems to hate and nobody reads, there sure seems to be a lot of activity on here about it.

That's why Ruesse is great. You don't have to like it. But you still end up reacting to it. That's his job. And your reactions allow him to be successful.

Masterful.

You’d have to be good enough at it to sell papers, get clicks, create buzz, make money. What exactly do you think Pat’s job is?

Correct. And if I did this, I'd be in your head, right?

If I remember correctly, it was also written before the Wisconsin win and the bowl win. In that respect you could say up to that point the Gopher season was pretty shit.

yep, and now that it's not shit, he quits......LMAO

That makes him in your head! Oh, this site and it's people!

Boy, for a guy everybody seems to hate and nobody reads, there sure seems to be a lot of activity on here about it.

That's why Ruesse is great. You don't have to like it. But you still end up reacting to it. That's his job. And your reactions allow him to be successful.

Masterful.

I love the modern, digital age.

Anyone who is able to provoke, annoy and irritate enough to garner some type of public reaction is considered a big "winner".

That's so cool.

You're exactly right, of course, but part of my aversion to Reusse is me lamenting that "journalism" has come to this. He's sort of the poster child for the downfall of newspapers in the age of the internet. A formerly revered form of communication that relied on polished writing, timely interviews, opinions and stories crafted over a course of days and weeks rather than seconds...now reduced to tweeting, trolling internet boards, and saying the most outlandish thing possible simply to get a response. Reusse has adapted rather than being put out to pasture. One can respect him for that or be a little bit sad our discourse has come to this.

You're exactly right, of course, but part of my aversion to Reusse is me lamenting that "journalism" has come to this. He's sort of the poster child for the downfall of newspapers in the age of the internet. A formerly revered form of communication that relied on polished writing, timely interviews, opinions and stories crafted over a course of days and weeks rather than seconds...now reduced to tweeting, trolling internet boards, and saying the most outlandish thing possible simply to get a response. Reusse has adapted rather than being put out to pasture. One can respect him for that or be a little bit sad our discourse has come to this.

There it is. The degradation of public discourse is both a symptom and a cause of the dumbing down of our society.

Pat has figured out a way to continue to get paid while 'mailing it in', rather than honestly working at his craft.

In late 2019, that makes him a "winner" in the eyes of some.

I realize this guy is negative but I have never understood why he has particular hate for the Gopher football program. Something must have happened way back the he can't let go.

The Reusse situation will ultimately resolve itself. I would imagine that on some lonely future Christmas Eve after Jim Klobuchar has passed, ole' little town boy affecting big city cynicism Pat will be visited by Jim with the warning to expect visits from three ghosts.

The first ghost will transport Pat back to the joyously painful life of growing up in Fulda on the prairie.

The second ghost will show him gleefully torturing PJ and Heather with a stinkin' inkin".

And the final ghost will hover above TCF when they somberly announce that longtime sports columnist Pat Reusse passed from a urinary infection --not having one, being one--and the crowd erupts like the Gophers toppled a number one ranked the Ohio State.

And a thoroughly chastened and repentant Pat vows to change and he will change. He flags down some wandering boy--a marvelous boy, a delightful boy--to deliver a turkey to the Flecks.

And Pat empties his 401k to help Casey O'Brien get better and stay better, and all the Gopherholers love Pat Reusse, for he kept Gopher mania in his heart the whole year 'round, and his eyes grew moist and glistened everytime Casey says: "Keep us elite, everyone!"

Genuinely made me laugh out loud. Post of the year!

There it is. The degradation of public discourse is both a symptom and a cause of the dumbing down of our society.

Pat has figured out a way to continue to get paid while 'mailing it in', rather than honestly working at his craft.

In late 2019, that makes him a "winner" in the eyes of some.

Frame it however you like, but Pat is doing his job. Quite well, actually. That is what makes him a “winner” in this situation.

Good writer but a wasted talent. Back in the day he was one of the sports royalty in MN – heady stuff. Somehow his “enlightenend” fanbase sold themselves that the best person to listen to on local sports is a local guy who hates the local sports figures and generally despises fans. The ultimate expression was the annual Thanksgiving piece where he celebrated his personal contempt for people that made mistakes. What a bizarre case study on Minnesota, Reusse, and his fans reveling in it...

With the advent of the Internet his schtick is has been exposed as old, tired ,and ugly. Plenty of options and while I may occasionally read his articles recommended by others (a decent one on Clem Haskins comes to mind) I generally do not ever see his stuff. Too much other good stuff out there.

Pat, you had a good run with your “woman’s scorn” act but your relevance is waning. Good luck to you as you enter the “non-relevant” stage of your life.

Pat Reusse in his prime was an Anthony Carter of the Michigan Wolverines. His writing now is Elijah Moore.

Still getting clicks and getting paid for it.
Doesn't mean one isn't desired and the other is frowned upon.

Reusse should be a hero to every sports loving fan in GopherHole. Even if he's not your hero he couldn't care less. What you think of Reusse matters not at all to him. Since he graduated high school he has made his living and raised a family by getting paid to watch athletes play sports and then write and or talk about what he saw. It's the only thing he has ever done. Most guys would do what he does for free. For the large majority of his career he has been well paid to write a sports column for newspapers in the 15th largest metropolitan area in America. Most sports fans have neither the knowledge nor writing ability to get a weekly shopper newspaper to publish anything they write much less pay them for it.

Comics Section

Top Bottom