Patrick Reusse Turkey Award

Joe Hardy

Reaction score
What a dink. Hope you’re in Florida on Saturday, Patrick!

who won it this year? He didn't do the right thing and give it to himself?

who won it this year? He didn't do the right thing and give it to himself?

He didn't name one this year. He's basically retiring from it. He took some credit for reviving some of the winners in the past. PJ was one of them he took credit for.

His heart wasn't in it after looking like the azz that he was with last years pick. One can understand. Nice pick "fat ass from fulda".

He's fulda himself on this one. You have to admit Patrick likes to grind into the psyche of Minnesotans.

It is so un-Minnesotan to acknowledge something positively good just in case we fail.

He really took a lot of flack for picking Fleck last year. I believe he thinks of himself as a Gopher fan, but the hardcore fanbase wants no part of him on the bandwagon due to all the negative things he has said and written.

It's just a needling article.
After blowing it as bad as he did with Fleck, the whole award lost its meaning.

Only makes sense to end it.
Giving it to himself for the 2nd of 3 years would have been unimaginative at this point.

His last paragraph today:

(Note: I recently signed a two-year contract to continue at the Star Tribune through 2021. So, presuming ongoing mobility, that would make me available to cover Fleck’s first game as the Notre Dame coach on Labor Day night 2021 at Florida State.)

Can someone post it, I refuse to click his article.
He just went over the history of the award. Said that 2017 was supposed to be the end of it. Then noted he came back in 2018 to name Fleck, and right after that we started crushing it. So pretty much no apology or concession, just said it was over.

And then troll job at the end, which you can see in post #10 above.

His personal contributions in life.
1) Got drunk
2) Got fat
3) Writes negative articles
4) His ego is higher than Trumps if you can imagine that so doesn't take responsibility.
5) Got a two year extension to the Trib much to the dismay to people who subscribe to the paper.

A selfish prick no doubt with no values to contribute to society.

Not sure there are more than a couple good sports writers in MN but he clearly taints them all except Sid.

And people wonder why the Gopher fan base is accused of being thin-skinned.

For those who did not read the article - a very short summary:

Reusse started the TOY column to poke fun at pompous and self-important sports figures. (Woody Hayes, Pete Rozell, etc) He also used the TOY to spotlight people whom he saw as under-achieving - as a form of satiric motivation.

Remember - at the time Fleck got the award last year, the Gophers were struggling on the field and drawing actual crowds of 15,000 people. Since that column, the Gophers have played well and attendance is way up. So, Reusse is giving himself credit for motivating Fleck and Gopher fans to do better, putting the program in a position where it has a chance to go to the Rose Bowl for the first time in decades.

He ends the column with the phrase, "my work here is done."

It's satire.

Remember in elementary school - there was that kid that everybody teased, because he or she would always get mad and make a scene. and that's what the other kids wanted - to get that reaction.

In this case, Reusse is teasing Gopher fans, expecting them to react. And they react exactly the way Reusse expected. Every time. When Gopher fans react, Reusse wins.

Pat Reusse is not the problem. Gopher fans who react like 6th-graders are the problem.

Reusse started the TOY column to poke fun at pompous and self-important sports figures. (Woody Hayes, Pete Rozell, etc) He also used the TOY to spotlight people whom he saw as under-achieving - as a form of satiric motivation.

Remember - at the time Fleck got the award last year, the Gophers were struggling on the field and drawing actual crowds of 15,000 people. Since that column, the Gophers have played well and attendance is way up. So, Reusse is giving himself credit for motivating Fleck and Gopher fans to do better, putting the program in a position where it has a chance to go to the Rose Bowl for the first time in decades.

It's satire.

Remember in elementary school - there was that kid that everybody teased, because he or she would always get mad and make a scene. and that's what the other kids wanted - to get that reaction.

In this case, Reusse is teasing Gopher fans, expecting them to react. And they react exactly the way Reusse expected. Every time. When Gopher fans react, Reusse wins.

Pat Reusse is not the problem. Gopher fans who react like 6th-graders are the problem.
I don’t like Reusse.
I don’t read Reusse.
Problem solved.

He can't win if people don't click on the articles. We can discuss him as much as we want, as long as we don't click.

His personal contributions in life.
1) Got drunk
2) Got fat
3) Got ugly
4) Got fatter
5) Got fatter
6) Got fatter
7) Still can't get over how he disappointed his father by not being good at anything but tearing down others

Fixed it for you.

I suggest we retire Pat from GH, and never quote or have a thread about him again. Enough said.

It's satire.

We'll agree to disagree.

Pat is a lout, and a very poor writer. He keeps a job because the paper he writes for is a dead dodo, and there is very left of consequence. Read a paper in another city, and you realize how awful the Strib is. He's a symptom of a bigger disease.

I'm guess I'm confused at the "Reusse was wrong for last year". Fleck won Turkey of the Year, not lifetime. I didn't have a problem with him being named in 2018. 2019 is a new year. How was Reusse wrong in 2018?

For the last couple of generations our local media has been outrageously ignorant about college football. And when they are called -out on it they resort to the “thin skinned” phrase. At this point it’s just code for “I had no idea what I was talking about, and I got called-out by people who do.”

I have mostly enjoyed Reusse’s work over the years. His understanding of how college football works always seemed to be tainted by decades-old memories.

Last edited:

I'm guess I'm confused at the "Reusse was wrong for last year". Fleck won Turkey of the Year, not lifetime. I didn't have a problem with him being named in 2018. 2019 is a new year. How was Reusse wrong in 2018?

Because he didn't have a bad 2018.

Pat was impatient last year and wanted to strike while he could. For those watching the team last year at this point, there were signs that 2019 could be greatly improved, so if Pat didn't do it last year, despite it not being that bad of a year, he had to stick his neck out a bit and do it for 2018.
He was wrong and can't admit it.

For the last couple of generations our local media has been outrageously ignorant about college football. And when they are called -out on it they resort to the “thin skinned” phrase. At this point it’s just code for “I had no idea what I was talking about, and I got called-out by people who do.”

I have mostly enjoyed Reusse’s work over the years. His understanding of how college football works always seemed to be tainted by decades-old memories.
I think Reusse is an excellent storyteller but he has trolled Gopher football fans for a long time.

Our local writers, TV, etc., were very ignorant about college football and have gotten by with it for years.

Barreiro has used the "thin-skinned" thing many times and as I was pointing out two years ago, he had no idea what he was talking about when criticizing the Gophers at that point for Fleck saying they were young. To which Barreiro's counter was that Fleck missed on Vic Viramontes as if having a transfer QB was all the team needed to go from young an inexperienced to excellent.

Chip Scoggins is THE ONLY media person in this town who had a clue the last few years.

I don't mind fair criticism, but when you are filling airtime with potshots with no homework done to understand the team, roster, or coaches, you're just being a lazy media member and should be called out.

Agree with this assessment. I ran into Reusse @ a LPGA tournament years ago after he had written a negative article about women's basketball. I asked him if he had seen Lindsey Whalen play and he said no. He did tell me he received a lot of negative feedback and said he had gone too far. He wrote an article later after seeing her play that was more balanced. I have not read him in years because his endless criticisms of the U got old and boring.

And I remember the kid from elementary school who was a basic pain in the ass bugging everyone because he desperately wanted attention. Not sure what the kid's problem was: might have been because he was fat; or might have been because he had an alcoholic father; or might have been because he was unathletic despite loving sports; or it might have been because of all three.

Reusse should be a hero to every sports loving fan in GopherHole. Even if he's not your hero he couldn't care less. What you think of Reusse matters not at all to him. Since he graduated high school he has made his living and raised a family by getting paid to watch athletes play sports and then write and or talk about what he saw. It's the only thing he has ever done. Most guys would do what he does for free. For the large majority of his career he has been well paid to write a sports column for newspapers in the 15th largest metropolitan area in America. Most sports fans have neither the knowledge nor writing ability to get a weekly shopper newspaper to publish anything they write much less pay them for it.

Last edited:

I've said it before: Pat is a really good writer and a great storyteller.

But the stuff he's doing now is a waste of his talent. It's beneath him. Journalism is a noble profession. Trolling, on the other hand, is pathetic.

There are good reasons for the stereotype of pasty, out-of-shape, lonely guys in their thirties who live in their mom's basements turning into trolls. These poor slobs don't have anything else in their lives.

As for Pat, I don't know if he's just tired and worn out or what the problem is, but for someone like me who has admired his past work, this present version of Pat is just plain sad to see.

With the new contract it's a perfect time for a return to past glory, Pat. No reason why you can't recapture the magic. Write a bold new chapter.

Leave this trolling crap to the losers who invented it.

Top Bottom