Patrick Reusse Poo Poo's Coach PJ Fleck

SHGopher

Reaction score

College football's biggest debacle isn't in Big Ten. It's in College Station, Texas, where they have $75 million to burn​

Texas A&M — tired of its secondary status in comparison to the Texas Longhorns — lured 38-year-old Jackie Sherrill as its coach away from the University of Pittsburgh.

Sherrill's contract would total $1.6 million for six years, an unheard-of average of $267,000 per season. The Aggies also added the title "athletic director'' to make the contract more palatable.

Sports Illustrated wrote about the contract under the headline: "Jackie Hits The Jackpot.'' The deal was described as "breathtaking.''

...Four decades after Sherrill seemed to break the bank at $267,000 per year, P.J. Fleck is generally filling two-thirds of the seats in smallish Huntington Bank Stadium, losing back-to-back games to lowly Illinois and lower-yet Purdue, and making $6 million annually to coach the Gophers.

...Rated No. 10 in the Associated Press preseason poll, with Gary Kubiak as a senior quarterback, Aggieland didn't get what was anticipated on opening night.

Those sneaky visitors had a not-yet-famous sophomore quarterback, a smallish fellow named Doug Flutie, and BC routed the Aggies, 38-16.

...Sherrill offered a quote familiar to the current generation of Gophers fans: Jackie said not to blame the players, it was on him...

...A&M's Board of Regents, in a clandestine meeting, approved the firing of Jimbo Fisher and the buyout payment in his contract of $75 million. Two days later, his team defeated Mississippi State, 51-10, to get to 6-4 for the season, and then Jimbo received the happy news of a full buyout — with no discount if he decides to take another job.

Local sports scene poo pooh'ing PJ Fleck.

Reusse is prepping this article for a potential Turkey of the year award to Gopher Footbsl. I sense the coach or program will be honored at the 2023 banquet and Strib readers will enjoy a big laugh. This article with it's call backs foreshadows Reusse having this one in the roaster oven.

News Flash - coaches in 1982, over 40 years ago, made less money than coaches today.

I can't wait until Belechick gets canned and our local media is able to somehow make that into an article about PJ Fleck.

I can't think of situations much different than Jimbo at A&M and PJ. In fact, they are so different, I almost think of the Jimbo situation as a warning against moving on from PJ.

Being that he's bed ridden, you'd think he'd have time to watch college football.

the main point of the column was to show how college football has changed by contrasting coaching moves by Texas A&M in 1982 and today.

Yes, Reusse took a couple of shots at Fleck. Big surprise - he doesn't like Fleck. but that was not the main point of the column. coaches get paid ridiculous amounts of money today. some are successful. some are not.

if you can set aside the comments about Fleck, you have to admit that playing someone $75-million not to coach is pretty freakin' ridiculous.

Reusse is prepping this article for a potential Turkey of the year award to Gopher Footbsl. I sense the coach or program will be honored at the 2023 banquet and Strib readers will enjoy a big laugh. This article with it's call backs foreshadows Reusse having this one in the roaster oven.

He has gone after athletics at the U often.

Last year P.J only made it to #5

No. 5. P.J. Fleck, Gophers football coach. The Chairman tried. He jumped on the bandwagon two days before Gophers went to Michigan State for a blowout win. Then Fleck found Gophers coach Henry Williams' playbook from the 1910s and started using it.

2020: Mark Coyle, Gophers
2018: P.J. Fleck, Gophers
2016: Men's Athletics at the University of Minnesota
2012: Tubby Smith, Gophers
2009: Tim Brewster, Gophers
2006: Pam Borton, Gophers
2003: Glen Mason, Gophers
1999: Clem Haskins, Gophers
1992: 25 Years of Gophers football
1986: Dr. Kenneth Keller, U of M president
1985: Lou Holtz, Gophers
1983: Paul Giel, Gophers

The Wolves, Vikings, and Twins are all off the hook (at least for now). I'd expect Fleck, Wild coach and/or GM or someone off the wall like Harbaugh.

Really brave of all the local media members to come out of the woodwork and take shots at the head coach when things are down.

Really brave of all the local media members to come out of the woodwork and take shots at the head coach when things are down.

which gets to a question that is impossible to answer -

would they be taking the same shots at Fleck if Fleck had a different approach or personality?

my best guess is that any coach who goes through a down year will be questioned - Dean Evason with the Wild for instance - but IMHO, some of the shots at Fleck are based on his style, his personality and how he presents himself in public - not just on wins and losses.

it's not a coincidence that media people are contrasting Fleck's approach with Vikings coach O'Connell. a lot of it is based on personality.

or to put it another way - if I'm a writer or columnist, and I personally like a coach, I'm probably not going to rip him for losing a few games. But if that writer or columnist doesn't like a particular coach, they're much more likely to get out the knives.

I was at that Aggie/Boston College game in College Station as a high school kid having never heard of Doug Flutie. Couldnt believe the Aggies lost that game, it didnt take long to appreciate the greatness of Flutie. PJ is no Jackie Sherrel.

He has gone after athletics at the U often.

Last year P.J only made it to #5

No. 5. P.J. Fleck, Gophers football coach. The Chairman tried. He jumped on the bandwagon two days before Gophers went to Michigan State for a blowout win. Then Fleck found Gophers coach Henry Williams' playbook from the 1910s and started using it.

2020: Mark Coyle, Gophers
2018: P.J. Fleck, Gophers
2016: Men's Athletics at the University of Minnesota
2012: Tubby Smith, Gophers
2009: Tim Brewster, Gophers
2006: Pam Borton, Gophers
2003: Glen Mason, Gophers
1999: Clem Haskins, Gophers
1992: 25 Years of Gophers football
1986: Dr. Kenneth Keller, U of M president
1985: Lou Holtz, Gophers
1983: Paul Giel, Gophers

Would PJ be the first multiple winner?

the main point of the column was to show how college football has changed by contrasting coaching moves by Texas A&M in 1982 and today.

Yes, Reusse took a couple of shots at Fleck. Big surprise - he doesn't like Fleck. but that was not the main point of the column. coaches get paid ridiculous amounts of money today. some are successful. some are not.

if you can set aside the comments about Fleck, you have to admit that playing someone $75-million not to coach is pretty freakin' ridiculous.

C'mon, SON, Reusse supposedly has hated every single Gopher football or basketball coach that's ever donned the Maroon and Gold. It's a total bit.

I was at that Aggie/Boston College game in College Station as a high school kid having never heard of Doug Flutie. Couldnt believe the Aggies lost that game, it didnt take long to appreciate the greatness of Flutie. PJ is no Jackie Sherrel.
Perhaps more of a Les Steckel. He may even punch himself in the face before the OSU game!

C'mon, SON, Reusse supposedly has hated every single Gopher football or basketball coach that's ever donned the Maroon and Gold. It's a total bit.

Yep, Pat's has liked a whole bunch of Gopher Coaches and A.D.s through the years. He even had a soft spot for Claeys and Beth Goetz.

It wasn't the case with Brewster and Fleck. He genuinely hated both of them. The only "bit" part as far as Brewster is concerned, he never really did much of it in print, but he often did it on the radio. While interviewing a Dallas Sportswriter buddy on the radio they talked about the thugs and criminals that Brewster brought up from Dallas.

Then after being forced to interview Brewster on the radio he denied ever writing that. Lost a lot of respect for Reusse then. That was kind of a go to move from Patrick. Rip on the radio much more than in print. Much harder to track.

As for Fleck, was listening to him on the radio after the introductory Press Conference and all he did was mock and ridicule him. Can't say I disagreed with that either.

Only other Coach he seemed to actively dislike was Holtz but that was a long, long time ago.

Yep, Pat's has liked a whole bunch of Gopher Coaches and A.D.s through the years. He even had a soft spot for Claeys and Beth Goetz.

It wasn't the case with Brewster and Fleck. He genuinely hated both of them. The only "bit" part as far as Brewster is concerned, he never really did much of it in print, but he often did it on the radio. While interviewing a Dallas Sportswriter buddy on the radio they talked about the thugs and criminals that Brewster brought up from Dallas.

Then after being forced to interview Brewster on the radio he denied ever writing that. Lost a lot of respect for Reusse then. That was kind of a go to move from Patrick. Rip on the radio much more than in print. Much harder to track.

As for Fleck, was listening to him on the radio after the introductory Press Conference and all he did was mock and ridicule him. Can't say I disagreed with that either.

Only other Coach he seemed to actively dislike was Holtz but that was a long, long time ago.
Of course he liked Claeys. Because he identifies with him. Although I think Claeys looks healthier than Reusse ever did.

Reusse has absolutely nothing in common with Fleck.

actual Reusse tweet from last night:

asked by someone why Reusse doesn't go after Ben Johnson the way he goes after Fleck, Reusse tweeted the following:

Simple: I like Ben as a guy, and I consider Fleck to be full of crapola up to his eyebrows.

Top Bottom