Pat Forde: If everything is negotiable and every agreement is breakable is Big Ten really committed to keeping Purdue and Minnesota for the long term?

I don't agree with the article but Minnesota has a lot of work to do if it is to remain competitive. Huntington Bank Stadium is already getting dated. The third deck needs either a club of some kind and more seating premium or not. The scoreboard should be switched to the other end zone on the third deck. Wider scoreboards are the trend. Williams Arena needs to either be gutted and enhanced or replaced. Alumni and supporters and the business community needs to step up and allow us to stay competitive or we should get out now. If we are not proactive we will be on the outside looking in.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is probably true, but I think they have to address the Barn before they do anything major to the football stadium.

This is probably true, but I think they have to address the Barn before they do anything major to the football stadium.
Isn't 3M getting renovated soon? Like aren't they downsizing the size of the rink?

Isn't 3M getting renovated soon? Like aren't they downsizing the size of the rink?
It needed a new refrigeration system so they decided to downsize the rink at the same time they had all that torn up.

SI much more likely to part with hack writer Forde than B1G is to part with legacy teams that are middle of pack in revenue. Just a really dumb take.

It needed a new refrigeration system so they decided to downsize the rink at the same time they had all that torn up.
Did they remove the heating coyles?

Are they installing the system during this summer?

I didn’t reply to this at first because I found Forde’s comments to be so stupid and uninformed that there wasn’t value in commenting.

But, I do have another angle so I’ll share that. I realize dumb takes like Forde’s in this case have two origins: either they are reaching for clicks/attention, or they are just THAT uninformed. What I think people like him don’t realize is they create a risk, as much as they gain attention with dumb takes like this. It might create a few conversations and clicks in the short term, but people like me will now avoid his content going forward. Not out of spite, but I can now only assume he is as ill-informed on other topics that I don’t know about, as much as he missed the mark on this subject that I do know about.

I was aware of Forde in the past and read some of his stuff and listened to his input on the Big Ten network. Now he will forever be “that guy who came up with the dumb take that a mid tier revenue, charter member school, located in a major media market, could potentially be contracted out of the B1G.” Squarely in my not-worth-it media ignore list.

Hey Bleed, how about at least a hat tip for me posting this article originally? I don't ask for much.
Where? I did a search for title of the thread. Sorry if I missed it. If it’s buried in a 200 reply thread about UCLA and USC, I haven’t made it that far yet. My bad.

Go WindyCityGopher’s Original Post!!
Windy's post was on the Basketball forum.

UCLA is not by any means a powerhouse football program, nor have they been in a very long time. They play in a stadium many miles from campus, and they don't even have a full size 100 yard practice field. Nor are they the flagship university in their system (that would be Cal). They may have some good and bad years, but overall in football, they will be a middle of the pack team in the B1G. I think USC is more or less bringing them along because they share a market. Stanford or Cal would be a better fit in the B1G. So would Washington. Any of those three would bring another major market (Bay area or Seattle) into the conference as well as all being top tier academic schools.

I think Gopherholers got way bent out of shape about Forde's comments.

While I do not think Minnesota could singularly get shunned by the Big 10 or whatever it morphs into, who is to say that that some of the powers/haves (Ohio St, Penn St, Mich, Wisc, USC) couldn't bolt and form their own Super Conference with some other schools?

At this point there is nothing that would surprise me.

Don't know if TCF is getting dated yet (compared to other B1G venues) but was surprised to see deteriorated outer edge of the concrete step right where we sit. This is Minnesota and there's 100+ years of experience in mix of ingredients, necessary curing, and maintenance for concrete. Again, very surprised.

If not fixed was going to email President Gabel about it. To U's credit the step was repaired by the third game. It was a true hazard up to that point.
Not very surprisingly, salt is the big killer of concrete. Unfortunately, after a hundred years of civil engineering, no one can figure out any better an ice beater. That's a fact. They douse the steps with it after any freezing events. Necessary liability evil.

Has little to do with the concrete ingredients or application.

I don't agree with the article but Minnesota has a lot of work to do if it is to remain competitive. Huntington Bank Stadium is already getting dated. The third deck needs either a club of some kind and more seating premium or not. The scoreboard should be switched to the other end zone on the third deck. Wider scoreboards are the trend. Williams Arena needs to either be gutted and enhanced or replaced. Alumni and supporters and the business community needs to step up and allow us to stay competitive or we should get out now. If we are not proactive we will be on the outside looking in.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Bank imaybe needs a little freshening up and larger monitors on the concourse, but other than that, it is great.

Top Bottom