Pat Forde: If everything is negotiable and every agreement is breakable is Big Ten really committed to keeping Purdue and Minnesota for the long term?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Forde:

• As we trend toward survival of the richest and fittest, how secure should the less marketable and successful schools feel within the Big Ten and SEC? If everything is negotiable and every agreement is breakable, is the Big Ten really committed to keeping Purdue and Minnesota for the long term? What about Vanderbilt and the Mississippi schools in the SEC? Watch your backs, Boilermakers and Gophers and Commodores and Rebels and Bulldogs.

Go Gophers!!

There’s no chance of the conference retaining Maryland and Rutgers and then kicking out Minnesota. Minnesota is also well above any cut line (if one exists) based on media market size, academics, and also being the 3rd best all sport athletic program in the league most years. Gopher football is also quite competitive, as we know.

This is a non-issue unless all of college football moves to a Premier League type model and all existing conferences cease to exist. That could have Minnesota and many of its West brethren as powers in a less-money fueled B league. And let’s face it, all of NCAA football already is a B league to the NFL.

What a dink. Perhaps someone should remind him Minnesota is in the 14th largest media market in the country, 5th largest in the new B1G. Not to mention other gaping problems with his brainless fear mongering.
Exactly, if the California schools join its because of money; couldn’t possibly justify exiting a market the size of Minnesota (UofM represents all of MN). Don’t remember the exact number but something crazy like 50% of all Minnesotans have a family connection w the UofM (direct family member has gone there).

Support of UofM sports is kinda like the Twins, may be under the surface for a lot of foke but when the team begins to win nearly every sports fan is on board.

Last edited:

This guy grew up watching the Gophers during their lean years. He’s forgotten that they actually have been competitive for quite a while now for the most part. Both Killer and PJ have had them competing for the West down to the last few weeks (please win the West!).

Why zero in on MN and Purdue? Rutgers, NW, and Indiana would be other candidates too in that scenario.
All of this, plus a lot of people keep forgetting that wins are zero-sum. If they build the biggest juggernaut football conference possible for TV ratings and kick out all their old friends, some of those juggernauts are going to start losing. A lot.

Is America going to tune in by the tens of millions to watch 2-9 Michigan play 8-3 Ohio State? How about 5-6 USC vs. 1-10 UCLA on the final week? Will they still get 100K into Beaver Stadium when Penn State hasn't had a winning season in a decade? Will Notre Dame lose its mystique when it's just a sub-.500 program in South Bend, Indiana?

Some of these current big college football brands would mathematically become the college equivalent of the Jacksonville Jaguars in a full-on football superconference

Football Revenue per Big 10 School (2021):
  1. Michigan - $125.8 million
  2. Ohio State - $115.5 million
  3. Penn State - $101.7 million
  4. Nebraska - $95.8 million
  5. Wisconsin - $87.4 million
  6. Iowa - $81.4 million
  7. Michigan State - $68.9 million
  8. Illinois - $65.6 million
  9. Minnesota - $61.8 million
  10. Northwestern - $59.5 million
  11. Indiana - $56.5 million
  12. Purdue - $51.9 million
  13. Maryland - $44.7 million
  14. Rutgers - $32.9 million
Bottom Line: Pat Forde = Dink

Last edited:

Revenue per Big 10 School (2021):
  1. Michigan - $125.8 million
  2. Ohio State - $115.5 million
  3. Penn State - $101.7 million
  4. Nebraska - $95.8 million
  5. Wisconsin - $87.4 million
  6. Iowa - $81.4 million
  7. Michigan State - $68.9 million
  8. Illinois - $65.6 million
  9. Minnesota - $61.8 million
  10. Northwestern - $59.5 million
  11. Indiana - $56.5 million
  12. Purdue - $51.9 million
  13. Maryland - $44.7 million
  14. Rutgers - $32.9 million
Bottom Line: Pat Forde = Dink
Add $100M to each of those numbers

Per Forde:

• As we trend toward survival of the richest and fittest, how secure should the less marketable and successful schools feel within the Big Ten and SEC? If everything is negotiable and every agreement is breakable, is the Big Ten really committed to keeping Purdue and Minnesota for the long term? What about Vanderbilt and the Mississippi schools in the SEC? Watch your backs, Boilermakers and Gophers and Commodores and Rebels and Bulldogs.

Go Gophers!!
Minnesota, but doesn't mention like, Indiana...or the obvious, Maryland and Rutgers.
Or even Iowa or sconnie who have less championships 8)

Hey Bleed, how about at least a hat tip for me posting this article originally? I don't ask for much.

Hey Bleed, how about at least a hat tip for me posting this article originally? I don't ask for much.

Where? I did a search for title of the thread. Sorry if I missed it. If it’s buried in a 200 reply thread about UCLA and USC, I haven’t made it that far yet. My bad.

Go WindyCityGopher’s Original Post!!

The B1G has never given any indication that they would kick out any of the original 10. No way this even gets a discussion.

Agreed. It would never happen. The top of the BG10 could always exit to a "premier" league, but the existing BG10 would never eliminate original members.

What a dink. Perhaps someone should remind him Minnesota is in the 14th largest media market in the country, 5th largest in the new B1G. Not to mention other gaping problems with his brainless fear mongering.
Yeah. There is risk…but Mn in a better position than northwestern (small alumni), Purdue/Indiana (you don’t really need both), Michigan state you could even argue Mn is more valuable

My question: How does Northwestern generate 10th place football revenue of $59 million?
Any home game you see on TV has two thirds at minimum of empty seats. Naming rights? Scoreboard advertising? Donor? What would be just football revenue to get them that far up the ladder?

Agreed. It would never happen. The top of the BG10 could always exit to a "premier" league, but the existing BG10 would never eliminate original members.
That doesn't include Nebby, right? We can still kick them out?

My question: How does Northwestern generate 10th place football revenue of $59 million?
Any home game you see on TV has two thirds at minimum of empty seats. Naming rights? Scoreboard advertising? Donor? What would be just football revenue to get them that far up the ladder?
Not quite on topic but here's a fun fact...Northwestern University enjoys one of the largest university endowments in the world. At $16 billion not up there with Harvard ($42 billion) and Yale ($31 billion) but still not chump change.

For comparison our beloved Maroon and Gold is at $3.5 billion...my other alma mater UGA is at $1 billion...

I don't agree with the article but Minnesota has a lot of work to do if it is to remain competitive. Huntington Bank Stadium is already getting dated. The third deck needs either a club of some kind and more seating premium or not. The scoreboard should be switched to the other end zone on the third deck. Wider scoreboards are the trend. Williams Arena needs to either be gutted and enhanced or replaced. Alumni and supporters and the business community needs to step up and allow us to stay competitive or we should get out now. If we are not proactive we will be on the outside looking in.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't agree with the article but Minnesota has a lot of work to do if it is to remain competitive. Huntington Bank Stadium is already getting dated. The third deck needs either a club of some kind and more seating premium or not. The scoreboard should be switched to the other end zone on the third deck. Wider scoreboards are the trend. Williams Arena needs to either be gutted and enhanced or replaced. Alumni and supporters and the business community needs to step up and allow us to stay competitive or we should get out now. If we are not proactive we will be on the outside looking in.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't know if TCF is getting dated yet (compared to other B1G venues) but was surprised to see deteriorated outer edge of the concrete step right where we sit. This is Minnesota and there's 100+ years of experience in mix of ingredients, necessary curing, and maintenance for concrete. Again, very surprised.

If not fixed was going to email President Gabel about it. To U's credit the step was repaired by the third game. It was a true hazard up to that point.

Top Bottom