Parent of HS Athlete looking for advice on offseason training

Don't think that was intent of this post at all. I think it was for additional training information, not an insult to HS staff at all. Poster made a reference he didnt feel he could coach it. Kudos to the kid for wanting more of an edge. Some parents are fortunate enough to provide extra resources. It's no different than parents of highly motivated academic kids seeking out learning opportunities and challenges, just in a specific position for a sport. That and dude was just asking for recommendations. I say chill, it's not a shot at anyone.
I am more responding to his response to me

His response to me was 100% saying his local high school staff wasn’t good enough for his kid.

You think I should chill yet here you are entering a conversation you weren’t involved with. Maybe you should chill?

So, you believe it is all a monetary calculation.
not at all
If it was all a money calculation nobody would play sports or watch sports.

I do think it is funny that this guy is going to spend all kind of money to get his kid outside training…poo poo his high school coaches and then the college will call the high school coaches for a report on his kid. And if the coaches say the family is a pain to work with, they will stop recruiting his kid unless he is an absolute no brainer. Whoops

His response to me was 100% saying his local high school staff wasn’t good enough for his kid.

You think I should chill yet here you are entering a conversation you weren’t involved with. Maybe you should chill?
Agreed, didn't realize you got a direct response until I re--read through thread. FYI the HS staffs in that district are well respected in Metro. Many coaches volunteer far more time and energy in kids than they are ever compensated for.

It's a message board. Everyone who wishes is involved with any conversation.

My son is obsessed with Football, like I was a long time ago, and has dreams of playing on Saturdays like his old man.

My only problem -- I have absolutely no idea how to coach his position (Linebacker), and don't know good/reputable resources from bad ones (and they're all expensive).

Anyone else have this problem? Better yet -- anyone have any good solutions? There's gotta be like an App or something that helps young kids train during the offseason... right?
When he’s age-appropriate his high school, coach will tell you exactly what he should do. In the meantime, you should calm down.

I didn't. You said a poster had no business intruding on your exchange. I totally disagree with you on that.
Yes, you did agree with the point I was making
The point being I can tell this idiot parent whatever I want on a message board

This whole things sounds like a "look at me, i need attention"

If your an ex. D-1 football player, and apparently your kid is some sort of stud....You would know where to go and what to do. Get real.

If you’re in Maple Grove, their HS just won the 6A championship and has multiple D1 recruits. Lombardi is also as well connected as they get with college coaches. That’s if they attend MG.

Ehhh I don't think so... Respectfully, as someone who was a top recruit out of HS, and played Pro, it takes more than just the BAU programming to get there.

I got lucky and had a very invested coach in HS (who went on to coach in the NFL), and fed me as much offseason work as I wanted.

My son doesn't have that. I'm looking for help finding it.
Honestly, one of the best things you can do is put your son in wrestling and get him into stretch therapy. Flexibility and body control are two of the things he probably won't get from weight training and HS sports and two of the hardest to build later.

There are quite a few paid-camps but I wouldn't know enough to differentiate between a good camp and a grifter. As others have said, the HS coach in your area (if it's maple grove) would.

Honestly, one of the best things you can do is put your son in wrestling and get him into stretch therapy. Flexibility and body control are two of the things he probably won't get from weight training and HS sports and two of the hardest to build later.

There are quite a few paid-camps but I wouldn't know enough to differentiate between a good camp and a grifter. As others have said, the HS coach in your area (if it's maple grove) would.
This answer is good, also if he’s a linebacker, he should be running track. Even if he’s more suited to throws, train with the sprinters.

He should eat as much as possible and tackle very hard, remember to keep your head up or you might hurt yourself.

This answer is good, also if he’s a linebacker, he should be running track. Even if he’s more suited to throws, train with the sprinters.
Good point on track. Might even want to work with the hurdlers as well...big time footwork and timing along with that different mindset and temperament...which is probably pretty similar.

This is for sure a bit, just to get us riled up...the LAST place I would go for actual advice for my kids training is GopherHole....

Do you w

He should go to his high school 11 days of summer stuff.
He should lift and speed train with his high school.

His best chance to be a college football player is to be a high school starter. And those are the top two things he can do to be a high school starter.

To be d1, the best thing he can do is be a starter on a good high school team. And those are also the top two things he can do to be a starter on a good team.

Beyond that, attending camps of college teams he is interested in is the next best thing.
I can't speak about the current situation, but if a local DIII school has a summer camp, that might be affordable. Sometimes coaches from local HS and other colleges coach at these camps. Often great advice is given to raw talent with potential. They often introduce subjects such as persuit angles and situational awareness as well. Great for a player wanting to switch/ learn a new position.

Only other thing I'd add is flexiblity exercises/ training. This will help one stay on the field.

Google Search suggestions:

linebacker training program

Learn how to play linebacker

https://www.viqtorysports.com/how-to-play-linebacker-in-football-complete-guide/

https://www.muscleandfitness.com/ro...tines/lift-linebacker-more-size-and-strength/

Cheers!

Do as many sit-ups and pushups that you can do per day. It worked for Hershel Walker.

I can't speak about the current situation, but if a local DIII school has a summer camp, that might be affordable. Sometimes coaches from local HS and other colleges coach at these camps. Often great advice is given to raw talent with potential. They often introduce subjects such as persuit angles and situational awareness as well. Great for a player wanting to switch/ learn a new position.

Only other thing I'd add is flexiblity exercises/ training. This will help one stay on the field.

Google Search suggestions:

linebacker training program

Learn how to play linebacker

https://www.viqtorysports.com/how-to-play-linebacker-in-football-complete-guide/

https://www.muscleandfitness.com/ro...tines/lift-linebacker-more-size-and-strength/

Cheers!
Often times the difficult part about college camps is they train different technique than the local high school (as a private trainer might).

And the toughest thing is both (or all 3) of these groups are correct in their teaching. There are many styles that can be correct. And correct at multiple levels.

I would suggest exhausting the resources already available to you before taking on any specialized training. Youth sports is becoming more of a money grab with each passing day. Don't fall for the trap. There is no replacement for hard work and an insatiable hunger for growth. I'll link a few youtube videos below.

Top Bottom