PA Running Back Offer- Garmon

A PA kid with a PSU offer? Welp, see you later!

I'm not saying he's necessarily going there, but he sure as hell ain't comin' here. Why even bother?

I'm not saying he's necessarily going there, but he sure as hell ain't comin' here. Why even bother?

Indications are the North Carolina leads, so there might be a chance.

Shoot, why ever offer anyone outside of Minnesota? Why ever offer anyone who already has an offer?

Could be....

some connection with Kill or a member of his staff. Does seem a stretch though especially with offers from Penn State and Pitt.

Kill will out recruit Brew. Don't count us out until they commit somewhere else.

It's worth a shot. Who knows what the kid wants. Not everyone wants to play at home. The worst he could say is no.

Kill will out recruit Brew. Don't count us out until they commit somewhere else.

I won't necessarily say he'll get a top 25 class, but my gut does tell me Kill might prove to be a far better recruiter than we thought initially. I just get the vibe that he's really good at selling his program without overdoing it, but also just simply makes you wanna play for him.

What harm is there in asking?

I agree there is only so much time in a day. Therefore you can't spend your time chasing remote possibilities. But from what I can tell so far, Kill pursues kids that somehow have a connection to the U. Ramacher used to live here. Somebody on the staff knows the family or has a connection to the coach or something etc. There is thought to the possibilities of whether the possibilities are remote.

On a side note...is it just me or does it seem that every kid we are interested in has an offer from Iowa? I get the proximity to Minnesota on the Minnesota kids but this guy and some others are not in the Iowa 300 mile circle.

Kids will want to play for Kill. From an article about his job at SIU, in an interview with the AD:

"When Kill took the Emporia State job, his former players at Saginaw Valley State drove to Kansas to watch Kill's debut game. 'That spoke volumes of the kind of commitment he got' from players, Kowalczyk said."

Once they get to know him, they'll run through a wall for him.

I agree there is only so much time in a day. Therefore you can't spend your time chasing remote possibilities. But from what I can tell so far, Kill pursues kids that somehow have a connection to the U. Ramacher used to live here. Somebody on the staff knows the family or has a connection to the coach or something etc. There is thought to the possibilities of whether the possibilities are remote.

On a side note...is it just me or does it seem that every kid we are interested in has an offer from Iowa? I get the proximity to Minnesota on the Minnesota kids but this guy and some others are not in the Iowa 300 mile circle.

Well, Garmon doesn't have an Iowa offer right now, but he probably will. Iowa has been absolutely hammering the Northeast for a few years now, and especially this past year. Over the past 4 recruiting cycles they've signed: 7 from MD, 4 from NJ, 3 from PA, 2 from MA, 1 from NY, and 1 from CT. Perhaps Ferentz has already been onto the whole "cold weather speed" thing that Kill has been talking about.

The difference is that Iowa has been able to beat out several big-time schools to get these types of kids to sign. Minnesota has not. I'll believe it when I see it.

and then we can whine because Kill does not go after anyone with offers from better programs.:banghead:

Look, offering a PA player with PSU/Pitt offers is like offering a TX kid with a Schlonghorn offer, a FL kid with FL/FSU/Mia offers, an OH player with an OSU offer, or a CA kid with USC/UCLA/Cal/Stanford offers. Ninety-five percent of the time, those types of players will go to a major in-state school, and if they do leave the state, it's not going to be to come to Minnesota. The sooner you come to grips with that fact, the better off you'll be. That might change with a BCS bowl trip or 3, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Look, offering a PA player with PSU/Pitt offers is like offering a TX kid with a Schlonghorn offer, a FL kid with FL/FSU/Mia offers, an OH player with an OSU offer, or a CA kid with USC/UCLA/Cal/Stanford offers. Ninety-five percent of the time, those types of players will go to a major in-state school, and if they do leave the state, it's not going to be to come to Minnesota. The sooner you come to grips with that fact, the better off you'll be. That might change with a BCS bowl trip or 3, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Coach Kill has been doing this for a long time. I'm sure he realizes the uphill battle of pulling a kid away from a major hometown school. It isn't like he went out and sent an offer to every kid that is highly ranked but hadn't signed. There has to be something there for him to think this specific kid is worth his time. Maybe the kid has some MN connection, maybe Kill has a strong relationship with his HS coach, maybe the kid likes harsh arctic winters, or maybe he wants to play in the B1G for a coach that isn't senile. Or it could even be that Kill realizes he won't get this kid, but there is someone else on the team for next year or beyond and he wants to get his foot in the door.

Kids do choose to go to less major out of state programs for a variety of reasons (playing time, coach, scheme, academics). I'm not about to bet my mortgage on us signing Garmon, but without discussing with Kill to understand his reasoning I'll hold off before I say it's a waste of time.

And really, if the article was correct that UNC is in the lead, it isn't like they are in the same class as PSU or Pitt either...

Well, Garmon doesn't have an Iowa offer right now, but he probably will. Iowa has been absolutely hammering the Northeast for a few years now, and especially this past year. Over the past 4 recruiting cycles they've signed: 7 from MD, 4 from NJ, 3 from PA, 2 from MA, 1 from NY, and 1 from CT. Perhaps Ferentz has already been onto the whole "cold weather speed" thing that Kill has been talking about.

The difference is that Iowa has been able to beat out several big-time schools to get these types of kids to sign. Minnesota has not. I'll believe it when I see it.

It helps that Ferentz grew up in Southwestern PA. Ironically enough, he went to my high school's archrival.

Either he starts trying for the talent or the Gophers will never get them in the first place. If I remember correctly, Gray had some pretty good offers, but Brewster kept after him. Lets not forget Michael Carter who was all set to sign with a school that was more reasonable for him, yet the Gophers got him. One thing I believe Brew did right was he went for the talent. He may not have gotten many of them, but he put the name of the school in the eyes of the coaches and the players and did get some.

How are the Gophers suppose to get to the BCA bowl games without making the effort to get the talent in the first place? He may or may not get this particular player, but Coach Kill is starting to make some inroads to get other players as the program grows in prominence. And another thing, if he does not try to get him, it is 99.999990% surety that he will not get him. At least in this way he at least takes a shot to get him.

Are you saying Coach Kill is just starting out with recruiting "cold weather speed". Before Minnesota didn't coach Kill at NIU recruit the NE?

just looking at rivals 2011 class in PA

only 2 of the top 10 stayed in PA. 2 committed to penn sate while 3-4 other spurned offers from penn state to go elsewhere. Almost all showed offers from Pitt but considering there coach troubles I believe they were offering basically anyone that would talk to them.

Sure glad you aren't doing our recruiting.

I thought you were joking at first, and I'm still not completely sure, but are you telling me we shouldn't go after these kids? And is there any proof that 95% will stay in state?

Nice offer list. Kill appears to be fishing for the big ones!

Would love to beat out Sconnie and Iowee for this guy.

So I take it you wont be staking out the airport to see if Mr. Garmon steps off a plane on an official visit :)

dpo, I have thoroughly enjoyed your various points on several threads, but I disagree with your position on this thread. After all...Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

PSU is having to work harder at recruiting now. They are still tough at home, but not like OSU or even Iowa anymore.

Iowa has recruited NJ and PA effectively for a while, an they seem to have an "in" at Dematha in Hyattsville Maryland these days which is too bad because they have players in football and Bball every year. The Baltimore PS system is so bad kids just about have to leave to get a good enough education to get into college. Not that different from public school kids winding up at Breck, De laSalle, CDH, etc., although here it has as much to do with bad ps football programs as bad Public schools.

PSU is having to work harder at recruiting now. They are still tough at home, but not like OSU or even Iowa anymore.

Iowa has recruited NJ and PA effectively for a while, an they seem to have an "in" at Dematha in Hyattsville Maryland these days which is too bad because they have players in football and Bball every year. The Baltimore PS system is so bad kids just about have to leave to get a good enough education to get into college. Not that different from public school kids winding up at Breck, De laSalle, CDH, etc., although here it has as much to do with bad ps football programs as bad Public schools.

What are you talking about not like Iowa? PSU has had the same or better record in the 5 years previous this past one (they played one less game, same number of losses though). Plus PSU has won a big10 title just 3 years ago and finished 2nd 2 years ago. 5 top 25 finishes including 3 top ten finishes in the past 6 years for psu only 2 top 25 and 1 top ten for Iowa in that span.

What are you talking about not like Iowa? PSU has had the same or better record in the 5 years previous this past one (they played one less game, same number of losses though). Plus PSU has won a big10 title just 3 years ago and finished 2nd 2 years ago. 5 top 25 finishes including 3 top ten finishes in the past 6 years for psu only 2 top 25 and 1 top ten for Iowa in that span.

I think he means in terms of being able to retain home recruits, not W-L results.

Top Bottom