P.J. Fleck explains Gophers' cautious, run-heavy play-calling from 31-0 victory over Rutgers

A comment on the idea that the Rutgers game was an ugly win...

I know I'm in the minority, but it wasn't ugly to my eyes. I love B1G football. I love watching the style Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan play. Blocking, tackling, hard-nosed running, tough defense.

I can't stand 'basketball on grass'. To my way of thinking, it ain't even football; it's an entirely different sport.

Actually, I find it very impressive to be able to execute plays effectively and get a first down when the whole world knows what you are doing. As another poster stated, I'll take that over squandering a 28 point lead and losing.

Just because this is how we played Rutgers, it doesn't mean that we won't do a few things differently in upcoming games. This staff has proven that they can come up with unique wrinkles against the likes of Nebraska, Northwestern, Iowa, and Wisconsin if necessary.

Whatever works. Just beat Nebraska! Save style points for later.
See, I would rather us lose but pass the ball more.

We were not able to execute plays effectively when the whole world knew what we were doing! We got out to a 14-0 lead by mixing it up. We scored those 14 points in the first 7 minutes of the game. Once they knew what was coming, we did not have single sustained drive. Our other TDs came from turnovers (3 yards and 33 yards). The only long drive we had was when the backups were in.

So while you may enjoy watching a team execute and get first downs when the whole world knows what they are doing, you didn't see it on Saturday from the Gophers. We stopped mixing it up and we stopped moving the ball against a really bad team. The exact same thing happened against Illinois last year, Illinois this year ( a good team) and Bowling Green last year.

It's not about style points. LOL. It's about having an effective offense because we aren't always going to have a drastic talent advantage.

We were not able to execute plays effectively when the whole world knew what we were doing! We got out to a 14-0 lead by mixing it up. We scored those 14 points in the first 7 minutes of the game. Once they knew what was coming, we did not have single sustained drive. Our other TDs came from turnovers (3 yards and 33 yards). The only long drive we had was when the backups were in.

So while you may enjoy watching a team execute and get first downs when the whole world knows what they are doing, you didn't see it on Saturday from the Gophers. We stopped mixing it up and we stopped moving the ball against a really bad team. The exact same thing happened against Illinois last year, Illinois this year ( a good team) and Bowling Green last year.

It's not about style points. LOL. It's about having an effective offense because we aren't always going to have a drastic talent advantage.

You lost me, I'm afraid.

If you don't care if we lose, why does it matter if we have a talent advantage or not?

I know I'm in the minority, but it wasn't ugly to my eyes. I love B1G football. I love watching the style Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan play. Blocking, tackling, hard-nosed running, tough defense.

I can't stand 'basketball on grass'. To my way of thinking, it ain't even football; it's an entirely different sport.
Did you hate our first two TD drives?

That kind of mixing up the plays is what the other side is asking for. I don't think any one is wanting us to be a team that slings the ball 40 times per game. You know no one is asking for basketball on grass.

You lost me, I'm afraid.

If you don't care if we lose, why does it matter if we have a talent advantage or not?
It was a joke. I was making fun of the poster saying that he'll take that (our offense) over losing. Gee, ya think? We all would.

As to your second question, I have no idea what you're getting at. I care if we win or lose regardless of a talent advantage. LOL.

It was a joke. I was making fun of the poster saying that he'll take that (our offense) over losing. Gee, ya think? We all would.

As to your second question, I have no idea what you're getting at. I care if we win or lose regardless of a talent advantage. LOL.

Okay. Phew! Sorry I took your post wrong.

Did you hate our first two TD drives?

That kind of mixing up the plays is what the other side is asking for. I don't think any one is wanting us to be a team that slings the ball 40 times per game. You know no one is asking for basketball on grass.

No, I loved our first two drives. Very, very impressive. Tanner Morgan threw accurately and on-time in very key moments.

I'm not opposed to the forward pass at all. I just like a physical, run-heavy offense — like the one Fleck uses. In the same way as you're not asking for 'basketball on grass', I'm not asking for a return to the single wing.

One simple question. Was the game ever truly in doubt?

Bonus Question regarding future opponent(s): Does the team have to play the exact same game against Nebraska?

Illinois and Purdue essentially beat us at our own game. If we were in the hunt for the CFP then style points, etc. might matter. Now? Just win what is in front of us and hope for the best. This formula can and does work.

As a long time fan of Tressel ball, this is what Fleck asked his team to play last Saturday.

Woody Hayes approves this message.;)

https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...opens-up-about-special-bond-with-jim-tressel/

No, I loved our first two drives. Very, very impressive. Tanner Morgan threw accurately and on-time in very key moments.

I'm not opposed to the forward pass at all. I just like a physical, run-heavy offense — like the one Fleck uses. In the same way as you're not asking for 'basketball on grass', I'm not asking for a return to the single wing.
I think this is all I'm saying. I thought the coaching staff put Morgan in a great position in those first two drives. We were still run dominant team but we threw a few times on early downs. They were beautiful drives.

All I'm saying is that I wish the staff would have continued with that kind of play calling throughout the game or at least for a couple more quarters.

I think with Morgan he has been less effective over the last couple of years partially because such a high percentage of his throws are on third and long.

I think this is all I'm saying. I thought the coaching staff put Morgan in a great position in those first two drives. We were still run dominant team but we threw a few times on early downs. They were beautiful drives.

All I'm saying is that I wish the staff would have continued with that kind of play calling throughout the game or at least for a couple more quarters.

I think with Morgan he has been less effective over the last couple of years partially because such a high percentage of his throws are on third and long.

I think those are excellent observations. There's no doubt we play more cautious, more often, than we did in 2019.

I'm pretty sure Fleck has confidence in Morgan. I wonder if our receiving corps is causing him doubts — especially with Autman-Bell gone.

Perfectly stated. Amazing how some people cannot grasp this.

Some people already understood that the 2022 Gophers are very good at grinding inferior opponents down with the running game, which they did Saturday. It was well-executed. There is also wanting to see some improvement, which there was ample opportunity for when the game was pretty well in hand.

Some of these guys will bend over backwards trying to defend against every last criticism of PJ or Tanner, regardless of the scale or merit of the criticism.
I know I am not the only one who has been defending Fleck on this issue, but Iof my many many flaws, i am certainly not someone who defends every last criticism of him. Quite the contrary, I've been criticized of being too eager to take shots at him after games where I think he performed poorly. I just really don't think a gameplan that led to a 31-0 win is evidence of a problem.

One simple question. Was the game ever truly in doubt?

Bonus Question regarding future opponent(s): Does the team have to play the exact same game against Nebraska?

Illinois and Purdue essentially beat us at our own game. If we were in the hunt for the CFP then style points, etc. might matter. Now? Just win what is in front of us and hope for the best. This formula can and does work.

As a long time fan of Tressel ball, this is what Fleck asked his team to play last Saturday.

Woody Hayes approves this message.;)

https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...opens-up-about-special-bond-with-jim-tressel/
You always pivot when you're in a corner. You said you love watching a team move the ball when they know it's coming. That did NOT happen on Saturday. We moved the ball when they did not know was coming, we stopped moving it when they did. That was your attempt at a point, so please don't pivot from that.

To answer your completely unrelated questions/points:

Was the game in doubt? Yes, it was. We were a dropped pass away from the game being 14-7 midway through the 3rd quarter.

Bonus Question? No, the team doesn't have to play the exact same way. They likely will because they have for three straight years.

Again, NO ONE IS ASKING FOR STYLE POINTS. We stopped moving the ball when we went to run-run-pass.

Purdue beat us playing our style? LOL Nope. They threw the ball 40 times and ran it 27 while winning for the whole game.

Illinois also threw the ball 32 times against us. They ran the ball 54 times, but they mixed it up way more than us. They ran the ball 64% of the time when they beat us. We ran the ball 72% against Rutgers. So even Illinois mixed it up way more than us in a game they were winning the entire time.

As far as Tressell ball? If only we threw the ball that much. The last two years, we have ran the ball 68% of the time. Tressell was running the ball 62% of the time (with a running QB like Pryor for three of the years).

I know I am not the only one who has been defending Fleck on this issue, but Iof my many many flaws, i am certainly not someone who defends every last criticism of him. Quite the contrary, I've been criticized of being too eager to take shots at him after games where I think he performed poorly. I just really don't think a gameplan that led to a 31-0 win is evidence of a problem.
Fair enough.

I would say that 14-0 against Rutgers in the 4th quarter isn't evidence of either a particularly well-coached or poorly coached game given the level of talent for the 2022 team. They accomplished the most important goal of winning the game, but I'm in the camp that would like to see some improvements in the passing game that are necessary to play balanced football against good teams and potentially, even have the capability to win a game where we get behind by more than a touchdown.

As far as improving the passing game, I'm not a football coach, but I don't see how they get better at that deficiency without actually attempting it in a game. When is the best time to work on it? When you're behind against a good team, or when you have a lead against a mediocre offensively challenged team? Not to say you abandon the run, but that would seem as good as any time to try to expand on what you already do well.

You always pivot when you're in a corner. You said you love watching a team move the ball when they know it's coming. That did NOT happen on Saturday. We moved the ball when they did not know was coming, we stopped moving it when they did. That was your attempt at a point, so please don't pivot from that.

To answer your completely unrelated questions/points:

Was the game in doubt? Yes, it was. We were a dropped pass away from the game being 14-7 midway through the 3rd quarter.

Bonus Question? No, the team doesn't have to play the exact same way. They likely will because they have for three straight years.

Again, NO ONE IS ASKING FOR STYLE POINTS. We stopped moving the ball when we went to run-run-pass.

Purdue beat us playing our style? LOL Nope. They threw the ball 40 times and ran it 27 while winning for the whole game.

Illinois also threw the ball 32 times against us. They ran the ball 54 times, but they mixed it up way more than us. They ran the ball 64% of the time when they beat us. We ran the ball 72% against Rutgers. So even Illinois mixed it up way more than us in a game they were winning the entire time.

As far as Tressell ball? If only we threw the ball that much. The last two years, we have ran the ball 68% of the time. Tressell was running the ball 62% of the time (with a running QB like Pryor for three of the years).
What's love got to do with it? What I said is copied below. Love was not mentioned (Again, See below).

"Actually, I find it very impressive to be able to execute plays effectively and get a first down when the whole world knows what you are doing. As another poster stated, I'll take that over squandering a 28 point lead and losing.

Just because this is how we played Rutgers, it doesn't mean that we won't do a few things differently in upcoming games. This staff has proven that they can come up with unique wrinkles against the likes of Nebraska, Northwestern, Iowa, and Wisconsin if necessary.

Whatever works. Just beat Nebraska! Save style points for later."

Moving on.

Regarding Purdue and Illinois:

Time of Possession: Minnesota: 27:38, Purdue: 32:22
First Downs: Minnesota: 14 / Purdue: 18

Close stats, but the game of keep away worked for Purdue.

Time of Possession: Minnesota: 19:56, Illinois: 40:04
First Downs: Minnesota: 12 / Illinois: 27

Purdue has under Brohm, and other Purdue, coaches utilized short rhythm (safe) passes that are essentially runs. It's their version of ball control offense. Yes the game was tighter, but they forced us to play from behind and chase points.

Minnesota vs Rutgers:
Time of Possession: 41:02, Rutgers: 18:58

First Downs: Minnesota: 21, Rutgers: 7

Regarding last Saturdays game, it wasn't ever 14-7. No need to adjust. Considering it was Rutgers, the staff knew that body blows would accumulate. They played safe and got the win. Even if it did end up 14-7 at one point, there is no way of knowing what they had dialed up for that scenario.

14 points in the second quarter, 17 points in the fourth quarter.

We never really gave Rutgers any opportunity to claw their way back into the game.

I'll take that ugly win any day of the week.

We disagree. No big deal

What's love got to do with it? What I said is copied below. Love was not mentioned (Again, See below).

"Actually, I find it very impressive to be able to execute plays effectively and get a first down when the whole world knows what you are doing. As another poster stated, I'll take that over squandering a 28 point lead and losing.

Whatever works. Just beat Nebraska! Save style points for later."

Moving on.

Regarding Purdue and Illinois:

Time of Possession: Minnesota: 27:38, Purdue: 32:22
First Downs: Minnesota: 14 / Purdue: 18

Close stats, but the game of keep away worked for Purdue.

Time of Possession: Minnesota: 19:56, Illinois: 40:04
First Downs: Minnesota: 12 / Illinois: 27

Purdue has under Brohm, and other Purdue, coaches utilized short rhythm (safe) passes that are essentially runs. It's their version of ball control offense. Yes the game was tighter, but they forced us to play from behind and chase points.

Minnesota vs Rutgers:
Time of Possession: 41:02, Rutgers: 18:58

First Downs: Minnesota: 21, Rutgers: 7

Regarding last Saturdays game, it wasn't ever 14-7. No need to adjust. Considering it was Rutgers, the staff knew that body blows would accumulate. They played safe and got the win. Even if it did end up 14-7 at one point, there is no way of knowing what they had dialed up for that scenario.

14 points in the second quarter, 17 points in the fourth quarter.

We never really gave Rutgers any opportunity to claw their way back into the game.

I'll take that ugly win any day of the week.

We disagree. No big deal
Ok. So you're going to play semantics on the fact that you never said "love". Gotcha. You're best off ignoring that point. What you "find impressive" never happened. We didn't move the ball when they knew the run was coming. They stopped us. Again, I know you'll do some BS pivot, but your point was wrong.

As to you clinging to terrible arguments.

Again, Purdue threw the ball 40 times and ran it 27 times. LOL. That's not our style. You're dying on a hill here that you shouldn't. This entire thread is about how the Gophers should mix in the pass more. It is a terrible take but doubling down on is the definition of insanity. You do understand you can get first downs passing the ball right?

I never said the score was 14-7. I said they were one drop passed away from being 14-7. They could have easily been within a TD of a team that had dominated them. We gave Rutgers EVERY opportunity to claw their way back by keeping it 14-0 until the 4th quarter. That's precisely the point. Rutgers just wasn't good enough to capitalize on the opportunity.

You don't really have an opinion - it changes with every post you make. We don't really have anything to disagree on because you don't really hold steady to any point. I would have argued that you think it makes sense to run the ball a ton to hold on to a win but then you brought up a game where Purdue threw the ball 40 times as an example. LOL. Granted, we both know that you were just completely talking out of your ass and decided to double-down on idiocy, but lets assume you had any logical integrity. Now, you're saying we should throw the ball a ton, like Purdue? Or we should run the ball a ton like Illinois. See what i'm saying? You don't have a point. Your logic is fighting itself.

I think our OC has the philosophy that it’s better to throw the ball 10 yds. and then run 40 ygs.versus throwing it 40 and run 10. Now he doesn’t have anyone who can run 40. He now runs Mo run 40 times.

I think our OC has the philosophy that it’s better to throw the ball 10 yds. and then run 40 ygs.versus throwing it 40 and run 10. Now he doesn’t have anyone who can run 40. He now runs Mo run 40 times.
lol.....what?

You think it's a weird dynamic that people think having a more balanced attack helps to open things up? I get disagreeing with it, but you actually find it weird people think that.

Oh, by the way, it worked in the Rutgers game. We moved the ball up and down the field on them in the first half of the first quarter when we mixed it up a bit. Over half our passes came in the first 7 minutes of the game when we marched the ball up and down the field on them.
I will just say this: Over the course of a long season, a balanced attack in which the running game and the passing are both valuable components, one in which all players across the board feel confident and engaged, is better than a dramatic over-reliance on one over the other. Balance gives you more ways to attack; balance (with sapient play calling) makes your offense much less predictable; balance develops all your offensive talent; and balance forces defenses to defend the whole field. I’m not quibbling with the Rutgers win—it was great—but I believe that in football as in life, balance is better than imbalance.

Ok. So you're going to play semantics on the fact that you never said "love". Gotcha. You're best off ignoring that point. What you "find impressive" never happened. We didn't move the ball when they knew the run was coming. They stopped us. Again, I know you'll do some BS pivot, but your point was wrong.

As to you clinging to terrible arguments.

Again, Purdue threw the ball 40 times and ran it 27 times. LOL. That's not our style. You're dying on a hill here that you shouldn't. This entire thread is about how the Gophers should mix in the pass more. It is a terrible take but doubling down on is the definition of insanity. You do understand you can get first downs passing the ball right?

I never said the score was 14-7. I said they were one drop passed away from being 14-7. They could have easily been within a TD of a team that had dominated them. We gave Rutgers EVERY opportunity to claw their way back by keeping it 14-0 until the 4th quarter. That's precisely the point. Rutgers just wasn't good enough to capitalize on the opportunity.

You don't really have an opinion - it changes with every post you make. We don't really have anything to disagree on because you don't really hold steady to any point. I would have argued that you think it makes sense to run the ball a ton to hold on to a win but then you brought up a game where Purdue threw the ball 40 times as an example. LOL. Granted, we both know that you were just completely talking out of your ass and decided to double-down on idiocy, but lets assume you had any logical integrity. Now, you're saying we should throw the ball a ton, like Purdue? Or we should run the ball a ton like Illinois. See what i'm saying? You don't have a point. Your logic is fighting itself.
🤣 You protest too much!

First of all, you keep bringing up that Rutgers, could have and would have done x,y,z, but... They did not. "Our" Gophers had a say in that. Do you think that the game may have taken a different direction if Rutgers had the talent to do so? It is fair to say that the team didn't necessarily impose their will, but keep in mind they still gained 253 which is at least double Rutgers season average.

Second. You can make it all about me if you want, but the fact is that the Gophers held the ball 40 plus minutes and no matter what you say never really let the outcome become doubtful. They played it safe as possible and walked off with an ugly, but convincing win. Tressel ball to a T.

Third. Looking for my opinion. It is obvious. Just win. Ugly or not. This team played a very familiar game. Even if it was uglier than the first four. Dominate the time of possession and Protect the ball ("The ball is the program"), limit "Chunk plays".

Other noise. You tell on yourself too much. Obviously you know little to nothing about Purdue and there variations on West Coast style ball.

Cheers!

If I am understanding your point correctly, it sounds like a variation of Woody Hayes/ Tressel ball. To that point I agree. We potentially have two more games that we can get away with that strategy. The other two will tell us if this 2022 team is capable of doing things that are out of their comfort zone.

I will not be surprised at all if we don't see two more Rutgers type games if the team can get away with it.

I didn't have a problem with the Gophers winding down the clock before halftime...they gave it a shot but the first two plays put them in a rough spot to be aggressive..I think PJ made the right call. Then during halftime I start getting texts from some friends all bitching about Fleck not trying to score. Most of my friends can only name two players on the team - Tanner Morgan and Mo; and they all think Tanner is terrible, yet somehow think now is the time he can drive the team down in under 2 minutes and score a touchdown.
A lot of people aren't happy unless they're angry.
Yes. Up two scores and get the ball to start the second half. No need to force anything.

Personally, I'd say that's even more of a defense to not do anything stupid.
I guess it depends on your goals for the season. If the goal is to beat the cupcakes and cross your fingers on the rest of the games and be excited for a December bowl game, then your take is correct. If your goal is to improve as the season progresses and hopefully be able to compete with the top of your division, then my perspective is correct.

I just checked out of curiosity.

Minnesota
358 rushing attempts 65.6% - 223 ypg
188 passing attempts 34.4% - 198 ypg

Michigan
345 rushing attempts 61.9% - 246 ypg
212 passing attempts 38.1% - 224 ypg

The mix isn't that far off when comparing to what many would consider an ideal power oriented offense. MN would need to throw only 2.5 more times per game to have the same percentage as Michigan. The biggest difference is probably timeliness of execution in big moments. It seems like MN has had several key drops or bad throws that would have extended drives or resulted in scores if executed.

Great research/post!

Any idea on what the splits are for the 🦨 and Pigeyes?

Actually, I find it very impressive to be able to execute plays effectively and get a first down when the whole world knows what you are doing. As another poster stated, I'll take that over squandering a 28 point lead and losing.

Whatever works. Just beat Nebraska! Save style points for later.
Ex-FB bias rearing it’s concused noggin🤓

I am baffled as to why it is necessary to "explain" anything at all.

It was a 31-0 victory.

Our first shutout of a B1G opponent since 2004.

To say that the game plan was extremely effective is an understatement.

The win is the tactical objective; the strategic objective IMO did we play a complete game and improve in all facets of the game - checkers vs. chess.

I could give 2 💩💩 regarding the shoutout. If it happens great; if it comes at the expense of achieving the strategic objectives, then who cares IMO

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure Fleck has confidence in Morgan. I wonder if our receiving corps is causing him doubts — especially with Autman-Bell gone.

Listen to him talk, this is surely the case. He continually talks about guys not going up to get the ball and dropping passes. He is not a ding dong. Everyone knows part of the reason we aren't throwing alot is because of our receiving core.

as I said before - The Gophers have proven that they can win games when they are able to run their preferred system. that's great. wins are good.

my question remains: what do they do when the other team prevents them from running their preferred system?

some posters assure us that the coaches have a backup plan. maybe they do. I haven't seen it.

there is a big difference between not throwing because you choose not to.......
and not throwing because you are incapable of executing a successful passing attack.

the first is a choice. the second is a whole different kettle of fish.

Ex-FB bias rearing it’s concused noggin🤓
Gotta keep those LB's on their toes...

as I said before - The Gophers have proven that they can win games when they are able to run their preferred system. that's great. wins are good.

my question remains: what do they do when the other team prevents them from running their preferred system?

some posters assure us that the coaches have a backup plan. maybe they do. I haven't seen it.

and not throwing because you are incapable of executing a successful passing attack.

Could be me, but I get the feeling that beyond some minor wrinkles, there seems to be a conceding to the impression that we can't throw the ball effectively. The only real lever seems to be the element of surprise. Hard to do if when you get too far behind. It would be interesting to see if running with tempo intermittantly (speeding things up) could loosen things up.

It's a mix of this IMO. We don't have high end receiving talent or QB play. I would say the QB is mid grade and receivers poor after Autman Bell went out. This group is not going to win many 50/50 balls and we see very little success in the RPO game anymore.

Fleck doesn't like what he sees in the passing game, thus he thinks he doesn't need to use it. I don't like this approach either.

There are still areas I feel we can move the ball threw the passing game. The TE should see lots of targets and seam routes or use the RB out of the backfield some after you have cleared out an area.

Top Bottom