P.J. Fleck explains Gophers' cautious, run-heavy play-calling from 31-0 victory over Rutgers

There's a weird dynamic where folks seem to feel that more passing will somehow mean we take advantage of the opposing team playing a run focused defense.

As if that's not already happening .... all year long ... and still the results on passing have not been amazing and running going really well.

What is it then? 3 more passes a game will open it up?
You think it's a weird dynamic that people think having a more balanced attack helps to open things up? I get disagreeing with it, but you actually find it weird people think that.

Oh, by the way, it worked in the Rutgers game. We moved the ball up and down the field on them in the first half of the first quarter when we mixed it up a bit. Over half our passes came in the first 7 minutes of the game when we marched the ball up and down the field on them.

People are very glad we stomped Rutgers. And they recognize that PJ is one hell of a coach, a coach who creates good players and good citizens. (By the way, I believe Bret Bielema uses the passing game in a complimentary fashion to his run game—for all four quarters. He isn’t just smash mouth. Re-watch our most recent game with Illinois.)

Anyway, I don’t think the mild upset you comment on is about the Rutgers game per se. It is about the larger picture. PJ’s preference for the run is so overwhelmingly strong that might be the principal factor impeding the development of a decent, reliable passing game. His mantra seems to be “why pass when we can win by running?” But he would never say “why run when we can win by passing?”

A decent passing game requires timing, coordination and communication in tough game conditions. It has to be developed each year as personnel changes. If you run a grossly unbalanced offense, you develop your run game during the course of the season while simultaneously “undeveloping” your passing game. This approach works great against teams that can’t stop your run game (and you’ll be a bowl team most years), but it often has you hitting a brick wall when your play better teams that won’t be beaten by your run game alone …teams that force you to rely on your neglected, undeveloped passing game to win.

So, to me, the folks who see Rutgers as a missed opportunity to develop needed passing game experience and confidence under game conditions are looking at the larger picture. They see the success of the passing game in the first few series against Rutgers and think that this would have been a good game to work on further development of our pass game, to work on patterns, timing, coordination, screens, taking a few deep shots, etc. To help get our passing game ready for the run stopping defenses we will face in some upcoming games.

PJ’s desire to hyper-develop our run game during the season at the expense of developing a complimentary passing game—leaving us with one extremely powerful arm and another withered one—will win us a lot of games against lesser teams. But it also consigns us to great frustration against teams that can successfully defense our run game, forcing us to dust off and rely on our purposely neglected and undeveloped passing game. And it creates a feedback loop that makes it harder and harder for PJ to recruit decent WRs. Why would a top receiver play for a coach who has so little respect for the complimentary offensive benefits of the passing game?

So, to me, it isn’t about the Rutgers game. Not at all. It is about how little PJ cares about taking clear opportunities to develop our passing game as a co-equal element of our offense. In the modern age of football, where rules favor the passing game, PJ’s desire to avoid the passing game whenever possible limits the Gophers’ upside potential (and perhaps their ability to overcome 10 point deficits). “Use it or lose it” is a real thing.

That was an excellent essay that explained the primary trepidations many have about relying too much on the running game as well as explaining the general dangers to team development from the same.

Personally, though, I'm not sure the people to whom this essay is directed actually disagree with you or even give the subject matter much thought. I think they're just attitude police. Their primary targets are posters who are guilty (in their eyes) of failure to display sufficiently positive attitude. Their posts contain far more language about "some posters on here" than thoughts related to anything Fleck & Staff do or don't do.

That was an excellent essay that explained the primary trepidations many have about relying too much on the running game as well as explaining the general dangers to team development from the same.

Personally, though, I'm not sure the people to whom this essay is directed actually disagree with you or even give the subject matter much thought. I think they're just attitude police. Their primary targets are posters who are guilty (in their eyes) of failure to display sufficiently positive attitude. Their posts contain far more language about "some posters on here" than thoughts related to anything Fleck & Staff do or don't do.
SPOT ON!!!! Esp. the "attitude police" comment. It's prevalent in this thread, any thread about replacing Morgan with AK8, et al.

It's not a bad place to give it a try or two, especially when your opponent is pretty weak.
It was a 2 score game in the 4th quarter until a turnover in their own territory.

If you were coach & wanted to do that, I will give you credit; you have bigger balls than I do.

It was a 2 score game in the 4th quarter until a turnover in their own territory.

If you were coach & wanted to do that, I will give you credit; you have bigger balls than I do.
How about if the first sentence you wrote is phrased this way: "It was the 4th quarter and Rutgers had yet to score a point..." That doesn't sound nearly as daunting as the way you phrased it.

What good WR is going to sign here when he looks at the stats and sees we run the ball so often.
PJ got rid of the O coordinator at the end of last year why? Our passing game certainly hasn't taken a step forward this season with the change.
Apparently not enough because Fleck and Co have whiffed hard at the position for several years. I don't know enough about HS recruiting to know what they're doing wrong, but you might be right that the approach on O is a big part of it. I doubt it's as drastic as some people think because it's pretty easy to tell a recruit, "Hey, when we have amazing WRs like YOU we have years like 2019 and put WRs into the NFL. When we don't, we run it to win. Come be the next Bateman" or whatever. It's a balancing act: winning now and recruiting for the future. Fleck gets paid millions to lead that and I trust him, but I don't begrudge others for not trusting him. We've all got our opinions.

How about if the first sentence you wrote is phrased this way: "It was the 4th quarter and Rutgers had yet to score a point..." That doesn't sound nearly as daunting as the way you phrased it.
Personally, I'd say that's even more of a defense to not do anything stupid.

I just checked out of curiosity.

Minnesota
358 rushing attempts 65.6% - 223 ypg
188 passing attempts 34.4% - 198 ypg

Michigan
345 rushing attempts 61.9% - 246 ypg
212 passing attempts 38.1% - 224 ypg

The mix isn't that far off when comparing to what many would consider an ideal power oriented offense. MN would need to throw only 2.5 more times per game to have the same percentage as Michigan. The biggest difference is probably timeliness of execution in big moments. It seems like MN has had several key drops or bad throws that would have extended drives or resulted in scores if executed.

I'm never going to complain about a win but yeah it actually does make sense. Our inability to pass the ball has killed us against better opponents. So yep, it worked against a terrible team and I'm happy it did.

This kind of mindset makes it impossible to ever have an opinion about coaching decisions (which is what I think a lot of people want). If we only bring it up when we lose, we look like the kind of people that only complain about things when they DONT work.

I said the same thing for years about the amount of touches Fleck gives the starting running backs, do you think I was going to post after Potts and Williams got hurt last year and celebrate? I'd MUCH MUCH rather have the Gophers win than be right.

A well reasoned reply like this is not going to popular with this bunch.

The OC is subordinate to the HC and most if not all have a one-year contract.
I remain with the view that running #24 that many times when it was not necessary is not good planning for the rest of the season.
But I have no skin in the game and PJ does.

Let me put it this way:

The Formula that MN used against Rutgers worked. MN won the game. That's great.

The question I have (and others have) is this:

what happens when the Formula doesn't work?

If you're playing Iowa or Wisconsin, and the Formula is not working, is there a Plan B?

Or, if the Formula is not working, do you just say "well boys, this ain't our day" and pack it in?

If you only have one formula that allows you to win a game - and every other team knows it - then every other team is going to try and stop that formula from working.

walking a tightrope is exciting. and everyone cheers when it works.
but when it doesn't work, you end up like Karl Wallenda...............

The OC is subordinate to the HC and most if not all have a one-year contract.
I remain with the view that running #24 that many times when it was not necessary is not good planning for the rest of the season.
But I have no skin in the game and PJ does.
I do find it interesting that last year the majority of the critiques were pointed at Sanford, as if he was the complete reason for the close to the vest offense.

This thread seems totally aimed at Fleck. Ciarrocca's name even mentioned?

If you're playing Iowa or Wisconsin, and the Formula is not working, is there a Plan B?

Or, if the Formula is not working, do you just say "well boys, this ain't our day" and pack it in?
That's my biggest issue with this staff. That's exactly what it feels like. You get behind and things don't go well. it's basically over. It can even happen against a team like Bowling Green.

It seems to be a pattern, not a fluke.

I do find it interesting that last year the majority of the critiques were pointed at Sanford, as if he was the complete reason for the close to the vest offense.

This thread seems totally aimed at Fleck. Ciarrocca's name even mentioned?
Part of the issue is what recruiting the WR looked like while Kirk C. was gone. Only 2 of the 5 Wr's are still on the roster (2020/2021) and Daniel Jackson is the only one to see the field. Dylan Wright was a transfer and is unreliable.

Hopefully the WR recruiting can get a boost with Coach C. back. He can at least point back to 2019 and what the offense looked like with competent WR's.

Let me put it this way:

If you only have one formula that allows you to win a game - and every other team knows it - then every other team is going to try and stop that formula from working.

walking a tightrope is exciting. and everyone cheers when it works.
but when it doesn't work, you end up like Karl Wallenda...............
The catch is plan B is plan B because it offers a lower % chance to win ...

Fans seem to think alternate plans or another imagined play has the same odds (or even better) to be successful. If you send Morgan out and say "Go play gunslinger with some WRs who can't seem to find space.".... game might end in one play.

Then we all wonder why they didn't do the thing they do well.

The catch is plan B is plan B because it offers a lower % chance to win ...

Fans seem to think alternate plans or another imagined play has the same odds (or even better) to be successful. If you send Morgan out and say "Go play gunslinger with some WRs who can't seem to find space.".... game might end in one play.

Then we all wonder why they didn't do the thing they do well.

It's not just about the WRs. Morgan is not a gunslinger that creates plays on his own. He's a system QB, and when the system breaks down against a good defense, they...suck.

People are very glad we stomped Rutgers. And they recognize that PJ is one hell of a coach, a coach who creates good players and good citizens. (By the way, I believe Bret Bielema uses the passing game in a complimentary fashion to his run game—for all four quarters. He isn’t just smash mouth. Re-watch our most recent game with Illinois.)

Anyway, I don’t think the mild upset you comment on is about the Rutgers game per se. It is about the larger picture. PJ’s preference for the run is so overwhelmingly strong that might be the principal factor impeding the development of a decent, reliable passing game. His mantra seems to be “why pass when we can win by running?” But he would never say “why run when we can win by passing?”

A decent passing game requires timing, coordination and communication in tough game conditions. It has to be developed each year as personnel changes. If you run a grossly unbalanced offense, you develop your run game during the course of the season while simultaneously “undeveloping” your passing game. This approach works great against teams that can’t stop your run game (and you’ll be a bowl team most years), but it often has you hitting a brick wall when your play better teams that won’t be beaten by your run game alone …teams that force you to rely on your neglected, undeveloped passing game to win.

So, to me, the folks who see Rutgers as a missed opportunity to develop needed passing game experience and confidence under game conditions are looking at the larger picture. They see the success of the passing game in the first few series against Rutgers and think that this would have been a good game to work on further development of our pass game, to work on patterns, timing, coordination, screens, taking a few deep shots, etc. To help get our passing game ready for the run stopping defenses we will face in some upcoming games.

PJ’s desire to hyper-develop our run game during the season at the expense of developing a complimentary passing game—leaving us with one extremely powerful arm and another withered one—will win us a lot of games against lesser teams. But it also consigns us to great frustration against teams that can successfully defense our run game, forcing us to dust off and rely on our purposely neglected and undeveloped passing game. And it creates a feedback loop that makes it harder and harder for PJ to recruit decent WRs. Why would a top receiver play for a coach who has so little respect for the complimentary offensive benefits of the passing game?

So, to me, it isn’t about the Rutgers game. Not at all. It is about how little PJ cares about taking clear opportunities to develop our passing game as a co-equal element of our offense. In the modern age of football, where rules favor the passing game, PJ’s desire to avoid the passing game whenever possible limits the Gophers’ upside potential (and perhaps their ability to overcome 10 point deficits). “Use it or lose it” is a real thing.
Perfectly stated. Amazing how some people cannot grasp this.

Some people already understood that the 2022 Gophers are very good at grinding inferior opponents down with the running game, which they did Saturday. It was well-executed. There is also wanting to see some improvement, which there was ample opportunity for when the game was pretty well in hand.

Some of these guys will bend over backwards trying to defend against every last criticism of PJ or Tanner, regardless of the scale or merit of the criticism.

Last edited:

Right now, Illinois is attempting about 7 more passes per game than Minnesota.

Wisconsin is attempting 1 more pass per game than Minnesota.

Iowa is attempting 3.5 more passes per game than us.

Michigan is attempting 3 more passes per game than the Gophers.

---

The Top 5 teams in the B1G in pass attempts per game:

Indiana — 47.5
Purdue — 44.6
Northwestern — 39.6
Maryland — 35
Penn State — 34.25

Let me put it this way:

What happens? I'll tell you what happens: People bitch and moan on Gopher Hole. A lot!

In fact, it's similar to the bitching and moaning after a 31-0 win.

I am baffled as to why it is necessary to "explain" anything at all.

It was a 31-0 victory.

Our first shutout of a B1G opponent since 2004.

To say that the game plan was extremely effective is an understatement.
tumblr_mkbjbmOuJx1rl35vno1_1280.jpg

It was an ugly game to watch, just like the first 3 wins of the season. In the end, Fleck and the Gophers absolutely had to have this game - if they don't beat Rutgers their season is done. The most important thing to Fleck was to get ahead then slam the door shut and get the W.

Being a long time fan, I will take this strategy over say a Mason - led team winning by 28 points with several spectacular offensive plays then having a late defensive meltdown and losing the game. The same goes for Nebraska -- just get the W and I do not care if it is boring or ugly or if it takes 10 plays just to get to get to the 50 yard line. We need this one!!
Well Stated! Couldn't agree more if you gave me the winning powerball ticket.

You think it's a weird dynamic that people think having a more balanced attack helps to open things up? I get disagreeing with it, but you actually find it weird people think that.

Oh, by the way, it worked in the Rutgers game. We moved the ball up and down the field on them in the first half of the first quarter when we mixed it up a bit. Over half our passes came in the first 7 minutes of the game when we marched the ball up and down the field on them.
Actually, I find it very impressive to be able to execute plays effectively and get a first down when the whole world knows what you are doing. As another poster stated, I'll take that over squandering a 28 point lead and losing.

Just because this is how we played Rutgers, it doesn't mean that we won't do a few things differently in upcoming games. This staff has proven that they can come up with unique wrinkles against the likes of Nebraska, Northwestern, Iowa, and Wisconsin if necessary.

Whatever works. Just beat Nebraska! Save style points for later.

Top Bottom