P.J. Fleck and players spring conference.

What a dipshit he only runs about 4-5 different plays per game what’s to hide?
New QB, who has starting experience (albeit not in a P5 conference), it's reasonable to think he is able to execute a broader playbook than AK reportedly was able to, so perhaps they want to avoid teams getting an early look at some of the new plays?

Biggest thing I noticed is that Daniel Jackson mentioned Max does things no other QB has done since he's been there. When pressed on an example, he said the ability to adjust the plays at the LOS pre-snap to get the WRs and RBs in the best chance to succeed against a defense.

Also noticed in his answers how smart Max seems to be.

Will be interesting to see

New QB, who has starting experience (albeit not in a P5 conference), it's reasonable to think he is able to execute a broader playbook than AK reportedly was able to, so perhaps they want to avoid teams getting an early look at some of the new plays?
If he is healthy come North Carolina and stays that way through the end of the game I’ll buy every member of GopherHole a case of Dinkeytown Athletes endorsed beer if Taylor doesn’t carry the ball 30 times; hell he might do that in the first half mostly up the middle. I bet Ferentz and Bert got a good chuckle when they heard the easiest head coach in college football to game plan against isn’t having a spring game for fear of giving away too much info — LOL.

Biggest thing I noticed is that Daniel Jackson mentioned Max does things no other QB has done since he's been there. When pressed on an example, he said the ability to adjust the plays at the LOS pre-snap to get the WRs and RBs in the best chance to succeed against a defense.

Players were fun to listen to.

If he is healthy come North Carolina and stays that way through the end of the game I’ll buy every member of GopherHole a case of Dinkeytown Athletes endorsed beer if Taylor doesn’t carry the ball 30 times; hell he might do that in the first half mostly up the middle. I bet Ferentz and Bert got a good chuckle when they heard the easiest head coach in college football to game plan against isn’t having a spring game for fear of giving away too much info — LOL.
That pig team lost to Fleck last year

I get it. I know the spring game is kind of an outdated tradition, but I do think it is something fun for fans. I know my second grader would die to watch them and if he could run down on the field afterwords and get autographs it would be one of the best days of his life.

Again, I totally get the actual spring game doesn't do a lot for the program, but it does do a lot in growing the program.

I took as more about the transfer portal and teams trying to recruit players off of other teams.

I believe after this season Gopher fans will name their newborn boys & girls Max or AirMax. If you don't believe in Max then you have that in common with Iowa & Wisconsin fans.

On UCLA interest, Gophers coach P.J. Fleck says he loves being at Minnesota​

Coaches are control freaks. Fleck is no different.

by keeping everything mostly indoors and out of the public eye, he gets to control more of what goes on. with a new QB and new DC, maybe there will be more changes than we expect.

I still assume that the BTN crew will visit a practice and at least watch a scrimmage - but maybe I'm wrong about that.

I do expect a good bit of griping from Ryan Burns and some of the other media members/bloggers/podcasters. I guess we'll find out how many "inside" sources they really have.

Todo bien. We won't know anything about this team until we get to see the first team offense in mid August

I took as more about the transfer portal and teams trying to recruit players off of other teams.
I didn’t think about that. Makes sense and a spring game while fun for the fans isn’t worth losing a player or two or three to the portal if they shine and get attention from others. PJ might be on to something.

I get it. I know the spring game is kind of an outdated tradition, but I do think it is something fun for fans. I know my second grader would die to watch them and if he could run down on the field afterwords and get autographs it would be one of the best days of his life.

Again, I totally get the actual spring game doesn't do a lot for the program, but it does do a lot in growing the program.
I like the way he is open about it and explains. Wants things inhouse more, wants to schedule things that won't get cancelled, and wants to support DTA.

I like the way he is open about it and explains. Wants things inhouse more, wants to schedule things that won't get cancelled, and wants to support DTA.
I get it and support him with this decision. Still kind of sucks for a very small portion of the fan base... mainly those under 10.

I am not sad I am not wasting a Saturday afternoon watching a glorified football practice, but I am sad I am not getting to experience seeing my son around some of his heroes.

It seems to me we should incorporate Brosmer's former team's offense to capitalize on his experience. Why make him learn a new anemic offense.

This is definitely something that was lacking both with TM and AK. They certainly did occasionally call audibles and change the play at LOS pre-snap, but a lot of those were changes coming from the sidelines and not from the QB. The fact that this is being called out by another player tell me that Max changes/adjusts the play on his own way more than our previous QBs.

Daniel Jackson seemed to imply that that increase has had a net-positive effect, but I guess we won't know until next season. I could also see this translating into him keeping the ball more and running himself, because I think the same type of awareness that allows a QB to make those judgement calls pre-snap allows them to better decide whether to hand it off to the RB or keep it themselves. Plenty of plays last year where AK handed the ball off to the RB, only for the RB to get stuffed, that could have been large gains (seemingly, obviously the defense may had responded different if they noticed him keeping the ball) if AK had tucked the ball and run.

This is definitely something that was lacking both with TM and AK. They certainly did occasionally call audibles and change the play at LOS pre-snap, but a lot of those were changes coming from the sidelines and not from the QB. The fact that this is being called out by another player tell me that Max changes/adjusts the play on his own way more than our previous QBs.

Daniel Jackson seemed to imply that that increase has had a net-positive effect, but I guess we won't know until next season. I could also see this translating into him keeping the ball more and running himself, because I think the same type of awareness that allows a QB to make those judgement calls pre-snap allows them to better decide whether to hand it off to the RB or keep it themselves. Plenty of plays last year where AK handed the ball off to the RB, only for the RB to get stuffed, that could have been large gains (seemingly, obviously the defense may had responded different if they noticed him keeping the ball) if AK had tucked the ball and run.
I agree. It didn’t look like AK read anything. He made the decision to keep or hand off when they broke the huddle.

FWIW - Ryan Burns posted a full transcript of the Fleck Press Conference.

and I'll be honest - it was a lot of word salad. Yeah, he's a football coach. he talks in coach-speak. I understand that.

But, for example, someone asked if Brosmer or Darius Taylor would go through any full-contact practices where they might be tackled. Fleck's answer runs on for several paragraphs, and while he generally suggests that neither player will see full contact, he never actually answers it with a Yes or a No. for RB's, he talked about depth at the position and evaluating other players. on the QB's, he said "we never really go live on the QB all the time."

FWIW, I thought the most interesting answer was on the new Special Teams coordinator. Here's part of the answer:
But also, we get to be able to create things maybe we haven't created here and emphasize things we haven't emphasized because of that change and his open mindedness and his experience that he brings to the Gopher family."

a couple of other noteworthy items...on the new DC:
And I think every coordinator is going to come in here and make it their own. So there's going to be pieces of it that are different, but we do believe in what we believe in here defensively. And Corey is going to be an extension of that and he's going to make it his own.

and on Brosmer:
You're talking about a guy who most people spring break here at Panama City or Miami or all these things. Nope, he took a bunch of players back with him and they worked out during spring break. That's leadership and he's on a mission. He knows what he wants.

It’s all the same coach speak.....Prior to last season, AK was talked up about his leadership and smarts as well. One of the biggest challenges to throwing the ball will be put on the WR’s and their ability to get separation and get open. AK missed those short passes when his guys were open in short yardage situations all the time. Admittedly, I am not impressed with Brosmer’s arm strength, it appears below average for this level, but if he is accurate and anticipates, he will be just fine. Go Gophers!

It’s all the same coach speak.....Prior to last season, AK was talked up about his leadership and smarts as well. One of the biggest challenges to throwing the ball will be put on the WR’s and their ability to get separation and get open. AK missed those short passes when his guys were open in short yardage situations all the time. Admittedly, I am not impressed with Brosmer’s arm strength, it appears below average for this level, but if he is accurate and anticipates, he will be just fine. Go Gophers!
I have no idea what he will do, but like you said, accuracy and throwing to the correct receiver make up for a lot of sins. Think Morgan, especially in 2019.

I've been watching Kurt Warner's videos on breaking down the NFL draft QBs and he places huge stock on the them "hitting the layups" on short yardage throws as key to NFL success in addition to pre-snap reads. For example, he's down on Drake Maye for missing a lot of lay ups even though he has a good arm for the long throws. AK seemed to fit that mold except a lot lower down the ladder from Maye. Let's hope Brosmer is an upgrade in those categories.

Top Bottom