Outback Bowl Uniforms

The only thing I miss about the old uniforms is gold numbers on maroon. However, can’t say I miss the “traditional” maroon or those hideous tan pants.

Sounds like a bunch of hens in here complaining about some other woman wearing white after Labor Day.

I'm fine with whatever the football squad wears.

I am fine with the uniform choice that seems to be on deck for the Outback Bowl and like our uniforms in general except for the anthracite alternates. What I'd like to see is some adherence in future seasons to a particular uniform style and to particular shades of color so that the Gophers can adopt some sort of cohesive visual identity. Over the past 50 or so seasons there have been a number of changes, some small and some big, that mean even our own fans don't have a true idea of what our uniforms should look like. Let's go with what we have for a long time so it becomes our natural look.

The U of M also absolutely must get some sort of standardization for the shades of maroon and gold used for uniforms, field markings, court markings, official merchandise and so on. Among the different teams and official merchandise, the maroon can be brownish, reddish or even have a purplish hue while the gold can be mustard like, yellowish or even appear to have a cheddar cheese like orangish appearance. It's all over the map. There are lots of schools that have no such problems with this. It's time the U of M joined them.

Except the current "maroon" is purplish and not a true maroon as before. True maroon is a reddish brown.
You must have a lot of fun at the paint store.

No complaint, but I favor our traditional gold helmet (as seen in my avatar) with maroon appointments... Goldy on one side occasionally is fine.
Except the helmets you like are actually yellow, not gold. Gold, by nature, has a metallic sheen. The yellow helmets were ok, but we aren’t the “Yellowed Gophers”, so I’ll take the chrome gold helmets, as helmets made from actual gold would cost too much and might weigh a bit too much as well ?.

Except the helmets you like are actually yellow, not gold. Gold, by nature, has a metallic sheen. The yellow helmets were ok, but we aren’t the “Yellowed Gophers”, so I’ll take the chrome gold helmets, as helmets made from actual gold would cost too much and might weigh a bit too much as well ?.

Doesn’t Notre Dame use actual gold in their helmets? I think it’s from one of their landmark buildings on campus.

The UM official gold color is a yellow gold. You can see the official colors here:

https://university-relations.umn.edu/resources/colors-and-type

By Nature?

One last post from the Auburn family prior to the game....
Some may be aware that Auburn's first Heisman winner, Pat Sullivan, passed away shortly after the Iron Bowl win. I won't belabor the point, but he was a first class human being and embodied everything good about amateur athletics. Tomorrow Auburn will honor his memory with a very slightly modified uniform which is incredibly rare. Changes to the uni have been mostly off limits to Under Armour under the banner of "sacred". In case anyone is interested the tips are the gray facemask and Sullivan's retired number 7 on the helmet and all black cleats:

Good luck tomorrow and War Eagle.

Love the chrome gold helmets, but could do without the Gopher on them. That, plus gold pants would be a perfect road uniform all the time, taking advantage of the huge free branding we get from all media as "Golden Gophers," never just "Minnesota Gophers." Brand, ID - it's all good. But somehow we end up with maroon, white, anything but gold.
In my opinion, the chrome gold and yellow-gold clash when paired together. Hence why I don't think we've ever had them in the same combo (I could be wrong).

One last post from the Auburn family prior to the game....
Some may be aware that Auburn's first Heisman winner, Pat Sullivan, passed away shortly after the Iron Bowl win. I won't belabor the point, but he was a first class human being and embodied everything good about amateur athletics. Tomorrow Auburn will honor his memory with a very slightly modified uniform which is incredibly rare. Changes to the uni have been mostly off limits to Under Armour under the banner of "sacred". In case anyone is interested the tips are the gray facemask and Sullivan's retired number 7 on the helmet and all black cleats:

Good luck tomorrow and War Eagle.
Wow- awesome tribute, and a beautiful video. I don't have any connection with Auburn but I got chills.

Good luck to you as well- thanks for being a classy opponent.

Top Bottom