Our MVP after 3 games

CWCWCW

Reaction score
Too early? Yep, but I'd like see the thoughts of other fans. After three games, who is your pick for our Golden Gopher MVP?

#3. Hageman. He has been disruptive and has had plenty of pressure on the quarterback. A lot of double teams have left things open for someone else.
#2. Barker. Big time catches. Nice hands. I'll admit it. I didn't expect this kind of performance from A.J. He's got to be Kill's poster boy for potential walkons.
#1 Wells. All over the field on defense. Hustles all the time, good coverage skills, picks, and sure tackler.

If I had made the list a couple of months ago, I may have had Hageman as a projected top 3 player. The other two? No way.

Too early? Yep, but I'd like see the thoughts of other fans. After three games, who is your pick for our Golden Gopher MVP?

#3. Hageman. He has been disruptive and has had plenty of pressure on the quarterback. A lot of double teams have left things open for someone else.
#2. Barker. Big time catches. Nice hands. I'll admit it. I didn't expect this kind of performance from A.J. He's got to be Kill's poster boy for potential walkons.
#1 Wells. All over the field on defense. Hustles all the time, good coverage skills, picks, and sure tackler.

If I had made the list a couple of months ago, I may have had Hageman as a projected top 3 player. The other two? No way.

All good choices, but there are a lot of guys in consideration at this stage. Just for arguments sake, I could make a top 3 that doesn't include any of your choices:

1. Wilhite- A pass rush off the edge has been missing since VanDeSteeg, and Wilhite has had big pressure at crucial times
2. Kirkwood- running hard, hasn't put the ball on the ground, and his late run against WMU might have been the key play of that game
3. Carter- Sticky pass coverage and int's

I agree with the entire list. Hageman is a disruptive force on the line and is ridiculously athletic. He could develop into a high round draft pick. Barker has been a huge surprise. Good punt returner, reliable hands, good route runner, exactly what this team needed. Wells has been the MVP in my mind as well. All over the field, physical, always seems to be in the right place at the right time, have seen quite a few great tackles on the kickoff team at times when defenders seemed to be growing thin.

Not what I expected at the beginning of the year, but if our expected MVP's play well and we have a few surprises, that is a very good thing. I would also like to give an honorable mention to Michael Carter. He has quietly played very well and had a standout game last saturday. Nice to see him playing at the level we thought he could.

All good choices, but there are a lot of guys in consideration at this stage. Just for arguments sake, I could make a top 3 that doesn't include any of your choices:

1. Wilhite- A pass rush off the edge has been missing since VanDeSteeg, and Wilhite has had big pressure at crucial times
2. Kirkwood- running hard, hasn't put the ball on the ground, and his late run against WMU might have been the key play of that game
3. Carter- Sticky pass coverage and int's

I also agree with Wilhite. Kill has stressed speed. Wilhite can move and has played very well.

Wells and Barker

Very much agree! I don't see how anyone can argue with number 1 or 2. Maybe after that additional guys have contributed to get votes for the third spot. I said last year what was missing was guys who make plays. As a result we lost games. No doubt, Wells and Barker have made plays!! They have been the difference makers. What makes them special after three games is they have been consistent in their excellent performances. They are why we are 3 and 0.

All the names mentioned in this thread are off to promising starts. Clearly far to soon to name an MVP as others have stated. If I had to pick one for OFF and DEF to this point though I would go with Barker and Wells.

I love that we think about MVPs instead of blame fixing. There is an atmosphere change going on and TCF attendance and the game day experience should be improving significantly. Thanks to the players, Coach Kill, and the die hard Gopher fans.

Go Gophers!

The crowd. While not sold out, it has been loud and supportive. The recruits that have attended have mentioned that in comment

stocker08;575054 Hageman is a disruptive force on the line and is ridiculously athletic. He could develop into a high round draft pick. [/QUOTE said:
I don't think I have seen a Gopher player so disruptive since Matt Spaeth. Spaeth was dominant coming off the line to block. He would level some linebackers. Opponents had to worry about his pass catching and his blocking equally. Hageman has that feel on defense.

Wells is the best looking D player the Gophers have had since Tyrone Carter. I think he has all big ten potential. Hageman, Carter and Wilhite could also be all Big Ten players. Add in Stoudermire, Vereen and Cooper and all of a sudden the Gophers seem to have a good defense with a multitude of talents.

Nice change.

Wells is the best looking D player the Gophers have had since Tyrone Carter. I think he has all big ten potential. Hageman, Carter and Wilhite could also be all Big Ten players. Add in Stoudermire, Vereen and Cooper and all of a sudden the Gophers seem to have a good defense with a multitude of talents.

Nice change.

Wells has played very well in the first 3 games but let's see how he holds up against Big Ten competion before putting him in a class with Tyrone Carter who was a true impact player for us. Don't get me wrong I hope Wells proves to be that good but like the Barker/Decker comparisons it is a little too soon to put him alongside the best.

The player on the defense with All Big Ten potential is Hageman, if he keeps growing into the position he has the potential to be a force at DT unlike anything we have had around here in a long time. Last big time DT I can remember at the U was John Schlecht who was not nearly as big as Shede but had a crazy burst off the ball.

1.The whole team!
It is to hard to pick a three guys. It has been awhile since we have seen the defense, the offense and special teams looking solid. We do not have stars just a band of brother's
Go Gophers !

Hageman/defensive line? Not yet; all they are doing is not being a liabililty. Every guy on the line/team should look good against the competion they have faced. I can't give props for generating a pass rush against the teams they have played to date. I will admit I think Hageman has been a big positive but again, I need to see it against D1 caliber players.

Barker? I completely agree. He has dominated like a D1 player should against the level of competition. Assuming we can get the ball to him in Big Ten play I think he is only scratching the surface.

Wells? I agree with your analysis. However; some folks are comparing him to Tyrone Carter....and why? TC was a tackling beast against Big Ten and NFL caliber rb's. I think we should hold off just a little bit ya think?

Top Bottom