Our chances are good we get the Ax next year at TCF

Reaction score
Wisconsin loses 3 key players. Ball, LT Ricky Wagner, WLB Mike Taylor who I think is more consistent than Borland; who is a senior next year. The QB Stave, who replaced transfer O'Brian, and who looks like Prince Valiant, is adequate at best.
James White, who really did a job on us, and Abbrederis, who is the best receiver in the BIG are seniors and will be the go to players. They lose one on the DL ( Brendan Kelly) and three in the already average defensive backfield, Cromartie, Johnson, and Devin Smith. Wisconsin will always be able to run the ball, but White is not durable enough to get the number of carries Ball lugged.
The Gopher's? We couldn't have been more beat up than last Saturday in
Madison, and yet we made a game of it in the first half. Nelson will have some games under his belt, a year older OL with more depth, the freshmen we're playing now will be sophomores with game experience. Final score Gopher's 31 Becky 17.
You can deposit that score at TCF...." The Broadway of College Football "

Wagner didn't play on Saturday. So the only loss on offense will be Ball.

Wisconsin loses 3 key players. Ball, LT Ricky Wagner, WLB Mike Taylor who I think is more consistent than Borland; who is a senior next year. The QB Stave, who replaced transfer O'Brian, and who looks like Prince Valiant, is adequate at best.
James White, who really did a job on us, and Abbrederis, who is the best receiver in the BIG are seniors and will be the go to players. They lose one on the DL ( Brendan Kelly) and three in the already average defensive backfield, Cromartie, Johnson, and Devin Smith. Wisconsin will always be able to run the ball, but White is not durable enough to get the number of carries Ball lugged.
The Gopher's? We couldn't have been more beat up than last Saturday in
Madison, and yet we made a game of it in the first half. Nelson will have some games under his belt, a year older OL with more depth, the freshmen we're playing now will be sophomores with game experience. Final score Gopher's 31 Becky 17.
You can deposit that score at TCF...." The Broadway of College Football "

There's the Inner Charlie Brown we've come to know with Rupie. This time Rupert, Lucy surely won't pull the football away. Keep prognosticating.

It's nice to see the Bucky trolls are getting here a year early. Or did you guys never leave? It's difficult to deduce whether or not you have things to do besides masturbate and eat hot pockets in a dark basement somewhere.

Just like spring football coach-speak, this is said every year.

I seldom, if ever, make prognostications. Save this baby for posterity:

2013 Badgers 20, Gophers 30.

AND, the beer tents will run out of beer.

Well good luck with that. Gopher fans have been singing the same song for 9 years now, you would think you guys would have learned your lesson about these threads by now. You keep talking about how young the Gophers were this year. Thats true, but in case you didn't notice UW has 8 seniors on its team. 2B's has been saying for over a year that 2013 was going to be his most talented team yet. Ball is a loss, as is Fredrick and Wagner, but Gordon would start for the U right now and there is another 4 star RB being redshirted behind him. We too have a Frosh QB who will improve and return the best WR in the B1G. The top DB Smith may very well get a 6th year so i wouldn't count him as a loss just yet.

Football is a 60 min game not 30. You were close for one half, but you were also completely dominated for a half and didn't look like a team that had any business being on the same field. You can't have it both ways. Maybe it will be a close game next year but I think it was clear to any objective fan that the gap in talent is more then a year away. Every team has injuries. Good teams have depth to overcome those injuries and the U has not had that for years.

But I recognize you have to have hope, so have at me. We can look back on this thread next year and see if it holds up better then this same thread you all have had for the last 9 years. My firm belief is that it will be just as comical as all the others. UW is thinking Rose Bowl/NC game next year, the U is hoping for the Music City bowl, but hey the streak has to end some time.

More then half the UW campus is 'by the lake' and is in no way a concrete jungle. If you don't have a class back there, there is no reason to go to that part of it, because it is away from the bars/city part of campus. I am one of those people who preferred the city aspect of the U and that was a factor in why I chose it, but that is just a false charge. Have you been to the west bank recently? It doesn't get more concrete then that.

Well good luck with that. Gopher fans have been singing the same song for 9 years now, you would think you guys would have learned your lesson about these threads by now. You keep talking about how young the Gophers were this year. Thats true, but in case you didn't notice UW has 8 seniors on its team. 2B's has been saying for over a year that 2013 was going to be his most talented team yet. Ball is a loss, as is Fredrick and Wagner, but Gordon would start for the U right now and there is another 4 star RB being redshirted behind him. We too have a Frosh QB who will improve and return the best WR in the B1G. The top DB Smith may very well get a 6th year so i wouldn't count him as a loss just yet.

Football is a 60 min game not 30. You were close for one half, but you were also completely dominated for a half and didn't look like a team that had any business being on the same field. You can't have it both ways. Maybe it will be a close game next year but I think it was clear to any objective fan that the gap in talent is more then a year away. Every team has injuries. Good teams have depth to overcome those injuries and the U has not had that for years.

But I recognize you have to have hope, so have at me. We can look back on this thread next year and see if it holds up better then this same thread you all have had for the last 9 years. My firm belief is that it will be just as comical as all the others. UW is thinking Rose Bowl/NC game next year, the U is hoping for the Music City bowl, but hey the streak has to end some time.

You chose the U over Madison and now you're puffing your chest about and referring to Bucky as "we." GTFO

Whatever man we've had this discussion before. I'm a Madison native who grew up 4 blocks from the Camp and have been a lifelong Badger fan but wanted a bigger city for college. Its not that difficult to grasp. I see the badgers as my city team, not a school. I could care less about the University but thats just my hometown team. I'm one of the 10 people in Wisconsin who is a bigger badger then packer fan.

The point remains that until the U starts actually competing in some of these games, threads calling for a 14 point Gopher victory are dumb and will be mocked.

The Axe...the Pig...and the stupid Penn St. Trophy. 2013 could be our year to fill our cases back up.

Whatever man we've had this discussion before. I'm a Madison native who grew up 4 blocks from the Camp and have been a lifelong Badger fan but wanted a bigger city for college. Its not that difficult to grasp. I see the badgers as my city team, not a school. I could care less about the University but thats just my hometown team. I'm one of the 10 people in Wisconsin who is a bigger badger then packer fan.

The point remains that until the U starts actually competing in some of these games, threads calling for a 14 point Gopher victory are dumb and will be mocked.

Wisconsin has won 16 of the last 18 games, but 7 of those 16 were by 7 points or less. Had they not beaten Minnesota in overtime in 1999, it would have been the Gophers in the Rose Bowl. They won in a very unlikely fashion in 2005 and had to come back from halftime deficits in 2007, 2008, and 2009. The game at TCF in 2011 was the first time the Gophers had lost at home to the Badgers by more than a touchdown since 1983. Minnesota has been competitive, they just haven't been winning.

Thank you for spelling Axe correctly.

It is okay either way:

ax - Wiktionary
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ax
[edit] Verb. ax (third-person singular simple present axes, present participle axing, simple past and past participle axed). Alternative spelling of axe.

Thank you for spelling Axe correctly.

As the good doctor said. Either spelling is correct. TAW, do you, or did you
slap your kids hands if they used the short fork instead of the long fork at the
dinner table? The "Axe or Ax " will be ours.

If you are talking about any old ax or axe, then sure, spell it either way.

But, if you're talking about THE AXE, then one would have to assume you mean Paul Bunyan's Axe, which is spelled AXE.

Wisconsin will continue to have...

a jerk for a coach. For everything else there is Master Card.

Well...we Gopher fans can always have this consolation...we'll never lose to Becky in baseball!!!

You're a joke.

Wisconsin has won 16 of the last 18 games, but 7 of those 16 were by 7 points or less. Had they not beaten Minnesota in overtime in 1999, it would have been the Gophers in the Rose Bowl. They won in a very unlikely fashion in 2005 and had to come back from halftime deficits in 2007, 2008, and 2009. The game at TCF in 2011 was the first time the Gophers had lost at home to the Badgers by more than a touchdown since 1983. Minnesota has been competitive, they just haven't been winning.

Help me on the 1999 statement. If the gophers would have won, they would have been 6-2 in conference, with a 9-3 overall record. I see why they jump Wisco (who would had identical conference and overall records - lose on head-to-head tie breaker) but how do they jump Michigan and MSU (both had 6-2 conference records and 10-2 overall records). Since none of them played head-to-head, I assumed the next tie-break is overall record and after that it would be who hadnt been to the rose bowl in the longest time (which MN would win). Did I get the order of those two tie-breakers wrong? Think it would have been MSU that would have went had MN beat Wisco

EDIT: Never mind - I am an idiot. Wikipedia includes the bowl game in the record, so MN, MSU, Wisco and UM all would have had identical records at 9-2 and I am assuming gophers win the the 4-way tie because they beat wisco and didnt lose to the others and hadnt been to the rose bowl in the longest time. Mason was 1 overtime win away from the rose bowl in his third year

No, you are being mocked. But, please, feel free to continue posting and removing whatever little doubt is left.

You can't even grasp the meaning of pride. WTF man?

Our chances are definitely much better than they were this year. If we go into next year's matchup with some health, and another year of experience and stability, I think we will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

This tune has not been sung every year the last 9 years. I don't know of many who honestly thought, over the last three seasons at least, that we had much of a shot at winning this matchup. The last time I felt we had a legit shot was the first Axe game at the Bank in '09, and we were kinda there, but it didn't work out. '08 was pretty competitive in Madison, as was '07, but I didn't come into those games thinking we had great shots to win, but I was very hopeful.

Next year is the first year (at least sitting here right now), that I THINK we might have a good shot since '09. It's at home, it'll be Year 3 of Kill, he'll have a QB who has a year's worth of games under his belt, the offense will be more experienced, and hopefully we'll have better health. Obviously many things can happen between now and the next 13 months, but there are reasons to think this can happen.

There's always hope every single time you play your rival. Even when we were 1-9 or whatever in 2007, I'm pretty sure I said I thought we could win the game, as I said before, I was very hopeful. That's just how I will always think. I want to believe my favorite team will win their next game. Even against all odds. But next year, I do think we'll have more justified reasons in believing we will win the Axe back.

I'm more interested in beating Purdue on Saturday than what could theoretically happen a year from now. But I also think the 2015 match-up against Ohio St. is setting up very well for us with Connor Mayes blocking for Jeff Jones.

LOL. Yes clearly the guy who continues to support the team he has always supported regardless of all my friends giving me crap has no sense of pride. Its not like I'm some 18 year old kid who has only known the Badgers as a power and jumped on the bandwagon. I was sitting there in the empty stands till the last second ticked off when UW was winning 1 game a year cheering my joke of team. I've been there through the bad times (well sense 1983 when I was born at least) and still stuck by my team. I didn't choose my school based on their sports teams. I really don't understand how you can call someone a joke for sticking with their team regardless of circumstances. That is the very definition of a true fan. Whatever haters going to hate. However, I shouldn't have used the term 'mock', thats my bad and is too close to trolling for my liking, for that I apologize.

Personal shots aside, I really hope UMN does turn it around so these games can be close and entertaining again. There have been some close scores in the last ten years thats true. But during those Brewster halftime lead games how confident were you that the U was going to pull it off? Those were some very average UW teams but there was no doubt in my mind, or in any of the fans I was watching with (including Gopher fans) that UW was going to pull it out. We just know our teams and when the going got tough UMN usually folded. That may well be my UW bias coming through so I can absolutely see how those games were examples of UMN competing. Unfortunately for the rivalry those close games are usually followed by a beatdown that swings it back to national irrelevancy.

And the point I was making is that the last 3 games have not been close in any way. Calling for a 39 point swing next year when we return almost our entire team just doesn't seem very logical. Its not like the young guys on UW aren't going to improve too. I just don't see anyone on the U that scares me outside of Nelson. Meanwhile UW has multiple All-American level players coming back to be supplemented by some very solid recruiting classes. I just don't see it being much better for the Gophers next year and home field has not meant much to the U for a while now.

Its just a matter of time before the series swings back UMN's way, there is no denying that. It may be a while though before we see this kind of two decades of dominance on the U's side though, what with 2B's being so young. But there is always hope.

I didn't choose my school based on their sports teams. I really don't understand how you can call someone a joke for sticking with their team regardless of circumstances. That is the very definition of a true fan.

Part of choosing a school is being loyal to all aspects of that school, sports programs included. This is the only acceptable rationale for 99.999% of the population. If you love Becky so much, go to school there. Going to school at their #1 rival and still cheering for them makes you an even bigger joke. It's not like you chose the U and root for Whitewater. You're cheering directly against your alma mater, which is all kinds of lame and pathetic.

"Multiple All-American players coming back" Hey pal, have you been drinking the water out of Lake
Mendota?? "I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. I just love to watch them roll".....John Lennon

Whatever dpodoll68, thats your opinion and is no where close to a universal truth. Its different growing up in a suburb of a city with a bunch of teams, then growing up in the heart of campus of a college town that revolves around football saturdays. If you disagree fine, but your name calling and single mindedness shows the quality of your character.

Chris Borland, Jared Abbrederis, James White have all already gotten All-American/B1G awards and will be on many lists next offseason. Throw in the annual O-lineman on the Outland watch list and you have multiple All-American level players. Nice try though.

no where close to a universal truth

I never said that it is.

Its different growing up in a suburb of a city with a bunch of teams, then growing up in the heart of campus of a college town that revolves around football saturdays.

Where you grew up is utterly irrelevant. I grew up in Nowheresville, SD. I'll repeat - if you love Becky so much, go to school there. It's pretty simple.

By the way - since you're a U student, you may want to see if they offer a class in remedial homonym usage. Once you've mastered that, you can take the advanced ESL class "Nowhere - One Word or Two?"

If you are talking about any old ax or axe, then sure, spell it either way.

But, if you're talking about THE AXE, then one would have to assume you mean Paul Bunyan's Axe, which is spelled AXE.

Lemme Axe you something. How fun will it be to get that Axe back next year?!

Top Bottom