Our 4 Roster Unknowns

As I said before on this message board I am a friend of Ihnen and he is doing a lot better than most of you might believe. He will surprise a lot of people if he is able to stay healthy. In the gym all the time!
He was healthy until hurt (freshman and Soph seasons) and he didn't surprise anyone. He is a known commodity with 50 games under his belt (even if his injuries had not happened).

If he's good enough he'll get playing time. If not ready, no need to rush him as we were forced to do this year with freshmen.
You're not wrong. I just don't see any way he doesn't play 15-20 minutes a game. Fox is just as much of wild card as Betts with multiple knee injuries that will affect the explosiveness that got him the D1 opportunity.

He was healthy until hurt (freshman and Soph seasons) and he didn't surprise anyone. He is a known commodity with 50 games under his belt (even if his injuries had not happened).
No doubt....players are always finished products after their sophomore years of college. Whatever we have seen from him to this point is 100% all he will ever have to offer....no possible chance his game has changed or evolved in any way.....he was a finished product the last time he was on the court and will be exactly the same the next time he steps on the court.

I defy anyone to find an example of a player who was better as a senior than they were as a sophomore....it just doesn't happen.

You're not wrong. I just don't see any way he doesn't play 15-20 minutes a game. Fox is just as much of wild card as Betts with multiple knee injuries that will affect the explosiveness that got him the D1 opportunity.
We agree but I think the staff will want to ease him into the rotation if Ihnen and Fox can go. Of course that would be sooner if Betts emerges as a really strong player. Remember what Jerry Kill said a few games into Shannon Brooks freshman year: "This kid is too good to be standing next to me."

Betts will be an 18-year-old freshman. We'll see.

Most fans do subscribe to skepticism on the theory you can't go too wrong doubting everything. Worst case, you can be pleasantly surprised rather than wrong.

By the way, if he is a big contributor on a much improved team, he will most likely be a big reason for the team's improvement.
This. The common theme: The coach sucks. The players won't be improved at all and if they are, the rest of the league will improve more. The recruits won't be good and in fact our coaches can't evaluate talent. The guys that sat out won't help and the players that left will become studs because they were only held down by the coach's poor usage of them.

If we have a good year: Yea! Go Gophers!

This. The common theme: The coach sucks. The players won't be improved at all and if they are, the rest of the league will improve more. The recruits won't be good and in fact our coaches can't evaluate talent. The guys that sat out won't help and the players that left will become studs because they were only held down by the coach's poor usage of them.

I would bet that this character trait would apply to these people in more topics than sports? They would be experts on most topics. Snow removal, street repairs, taxes, DMV offices, politics, and the postal service to name but a few. Lots of negative views, very few solutions.

I would bet that this character trait would apply to these people in more topics than sports? They would be experts on most topics. Snow removal, street repairs, taxes, DMV offices, politics, and the postal service to name but a few. Lots of negative views, very few solutions.
We could use more experts on street repairs.

We agree but I think the staff will want to ease him into the rotation if Ihnen and Fox can go. Of course that would be sooner if Betts emerges as a really strong player. Remember what Jerry Kill said a few games into Shannon Brooks freshman year: "This kid is too good to be standing next to me."

Betts will be an 18-year-old freshman. We'll see.
Redshirt freshman. And he probably got more practice last year than Ihnen and Fox combined. But yes, we'll see.

I think the coaches can evaluate talent, hs kids anyway. II and Fox - complete wildcard. Will each of them be mentally ok to go?

There is no way to sugarcoat losing Henley. DePaul? Really?

Questions remain if cbj can actually win some games.

One solution for the U of MN to win BB games?

Dont hire head coaches that have no business being head coaches. Another? Act like you want to win. Do the things required. MN has done the opposite for decades, and some still wonder why all the losing.

No doubt....players are always finished products after their sophomore years of college. Whatever we have seen from him to this point is 100% all he will ever have to offer....no possible chance his game has changed or evolved in any way.....he was a finished product the last time he was on the court and will be exactly the same the next time he steps on the court.

I defy anyone to find an example of a player who was better as a senior than they were as a sophomore....it just doesn't happen.
This. And didn't he come from Germany???? Maybe, just maybe might take him a year or two to acclimate to NCAA basketball????

This. And didn't he come from Germany???? Maybe, just maybe might take him a year or two to acclimate to NCAA basketball????
Now you are just talking crazy.....he was a finished product before the injuries and as soggy blanket pointed out he is a known commodity. Players don't change or evolve....undried blanket is also ready to close the book on Carrington. If you don't have it as a true freshman there is no hope that you might develop into a good player down the line. Kick em to the curb and bring in someone new.

This..... All of this .. a guy who hasn't seen game time in 2+ years and after 2 knee surgeries has the potential to be better than our best player .. and I thought my shine was good... Please pass a nipper my way rockraven

Redshirt freshman. And he probably got more practice last year than Ihnen and Fox combined. But yes, we'll see.
Red shirted as a 17-year-old high school senior. He would need to be a special talent to step in right away. I hope he is. For sure last season will have helped him a lot.

I think the coaches can evaluate talent, hs kids anyway. II and Fox - complete wildcard. Will each of them be mentally ok to go?

Barny, you finally made solid contact and put the ball in play. Henley is the biggest loss.

As for Parker Fox. There are 312 D-2 basketball programs. He was the D-2 player of the year, had 50 D1 offers when he entered portal. (including his final 8 of Ohio State, Creighton, Texas Christian, Texas Tech, Florida State, Vanderbilt , San Diego State and MINNESOTA) He averaged 19.9 points, 8.8 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 3.2 blocks, had 3.5 dunks per game (80 on the year) , was NSIC conference defensive player of the year. But most importantly he played three D2 years at Northern Sates Abberdeen, a super D2 program, and had 107 wins as the teams best player and best leader.

It is not crazy to think that he has the potential to be better than our best player. That is a level of competition above any high school program and he was the most dominant player out of 312 teams.

Posters who in-person saw Ben win as a player or as a coach. Show of hands (Kahn)

As for Parker Fox. There are 312 D-2 basketball programs. He was the D-2 player of the year, had 50 D1 offers when he entered portal. (including his final 8 of Ohio State, Creighton, Texas Christian, Texas Tech, Florida State, Vanderbilt , San Diego State and MINNESOTA) He averaged 19.9 points, 8.8 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 3.2 blocks, had 3.5 dunks per game (80 on the year) , was NSIC conference defensive player of the year. But most importantly he played three D2 years at Northern Sates Abberdeen, a super D2 program, and had 107 wins as the teams best player and best leader.

It is not crazy to think that he has the potential to be better than our best player. That is a level of competition above any high school program and he was the most dominant player out of 312 teams.
Was really excited to see what Fox could do when they signed him. Will be interesting to see how much the injuries have affected him but hopefully he is able to play all season and show what he can do.

He was definitely a player that was receiving a ton of attention in the portal and looked like a really good pickup at the time.

Was really excited to see what Fox could do when they signed him. Will be interesting to see how much the injuries have affected him but hopefully he is able to play all season and show what he can do.

He was definitely a player that was receiving a ton of attention in the portal and looked like a really good pickup at the time.
Sigh (what could have been). Imagine actually being in his (or Ihnen’s) shoes.

I think it is crazy to think a guy who's game is based on his explosiveness will be our best player after blowing out both knees.

C'mon.....none of those final offers other than the Gophers were committable......
D2----that's like glorified rec-league ball....
He's destroyed his knees....he can barely walk....should be playing wheelchair basketball...
He only committed to the Gophers BECAUSE he blew out his knee....
He can't shoot beyond 2 feet and he can't improve on that while rehabbing.....he couldn't even pick up a basketball and shoot....
107 wins....must be the coach, not the players.
SARCASM alert......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think it is crazy to think a guy who's game is based on his explosiveness will be our best player after blowing out both knees.
Agree that it is risky to expect a ton from Fox and Ihnen but there are some that are writing them off entirely and I think that is a mistake as well. Good chance that both can at minimum be solid rotation pieces.

Ok, without looking it up, name one other D2 player of the year ever.....

Ok, without looking it up, name one other D2 player of the year ever.....
lol.....what would not being able to name other D2 players of the year off the top of your head even prove?

The point is that Fox was highly sought after in the transfer portal so there is a good chance he has some ability. How he will look after the injuries remains to be seen but he was a nice pickup when he committed.

lol.....what would not being able to name other D2 players of the year off the top of your head even prove?

The point is that Fox was highly sought after in the transfer portal so there is a good chance he has some ability. How he will look after the injuries remains to be seen but he was a nice pickup when he committed.
I kid, I kid. The poster was waxing poetic about being the best of 312 teams, and I thought some perspective might be in order...there's a D2 player of the year every year, have any gone on to star in D1?

I kid, I kid. The poster was waxing poetic about being the best of 312 teams, and I thought some perspective might be in order...there's a D2 player of the year every year, have any gone on to star in D1?
Ryan Hawkins was slightly worse than Parker at NWMSU and went on to average 14 and 8 at Creighton last year. They have different games though.

Top Bottom