Our 4 Roster Unknowns

Wasn’t Gibbens the leading FCS tackler in the country?

Ihnen is a career 2/2 guy before the two major knee surgeries.

Edit: Ihnen a career 3/3 guy. Gibbens had more tackles in 2019 than Ihnen has scored points in a season.
The point was not to compare their respective stats. The point was that Jack seemed to be as unlikely to be a great player as you think of Ihnen today.

The point was not to compare their respective stats. The point was that Jack seemed to be as unlikely to be a great player as you think of Ihnen today.

No. He was far more likely than Ihnen. He was very good at a lower level. And healthy when arriving on campus. Ihnen getting vastly better after not playing for 2 years is extremely unlikely. We’ve seen him play 50 games. I really hope I’m wrong and Ihnen is great for us.

The Gibbens comparison is probably better reserved for Fox. Very good at a lower level—though Fox was better in D2 than Gibbens was at ACU.

Behind Ben. Clem season 1. 9-19, 2-16 in BIG SOS 19th, S2. 10-18, 4-14 BIG SOS 30th. Ben S1. 13-17, 4-16 BIG SOS 38th, S2. 9-22, 2-17 BIG SOS 48th. Clem went to the tourney year 3. Of course I'll take your bet that Ben goes to the tourney in year three. Let's $1000? Clem doubled his win total from y1 to y2. Ben did the opposite. What was Clem before he came to MN? Oh yeah, A College Head Coach. Imagine that. Ben also has an extra tool that Clem didn't have. The portal.
This should be a sticky!!!!

Very possible. He has been healthy through practice, training table, strength and conditioning.

As I said before on this message board I am a friend of Ihnen and he is doing a lot better than most of you might believe. He will surprise a lot of people if he is able to stay healthy. In the gym all the time!
A Pitino gym rat, I see. Hope you’re right, but probability isn’t in our favor.

No. He was far more likely than Ihnen. He was very good at a lower level. And healthy when arriving on campus. Ihnen getting vastly better after not playing for 2 years is extremely unlikely. We’ve seen him play 50 games. I really hope I’m wrong and Ihnen is great for us.

The Gibbens comparison is probably better reserved for Fox. Very good at a lower level—though Fox was better in D2 than Gibbens was at ACU.
Can't disagree with your thinking but you are somewhat missing my point. In terms of surprise, the unexpected, it would be less surprising if Ihnen came through as a big contributor.

Ihnen was a 4 star recruit. Gibbens came out of high school unrated, unknown, and unrecruited by big schools.

Can't disagree with your thinking but you are somewhat missing my point. In terms of surprise, the unexpected, it would be less surprising if Ihnen came through as a big contributor.

Ihnen was a 4 star recruit. Gibbens came out of high school unrated, unknown, and unrecruited by big schools.

That’s irrelevant because Gibbens spent multiple years in college. So has Ihnen. What they were doing at 16 or 17 doesn’t matter when they are 21. Kids change. Grow. Develop.

Is it more surprising Gibbens ended up as a very good B1G player? Sure, I guess. But to say Ihnen is more likely at 22 or whatever age he is would be less surprising to be great than Gibbens at the same age is disingenuous and wrong.

Again—one was a top player at his level and wanted. The other is a 3/3 guy in FIFTY games and has had two major knee surgeries. No way you can think Gibbens was the bigger surprise if Ihnen becomes our best player.

That’s irrelevant because Gibbens spent multiple years in college. So has Ihnen. What they were doing at 16 or 17 doesn’t matter when they are 21. Kids change. Grow. Develop.

Is it more surprising Gibbens ended up as a very good B1G player? Sure, I guess. But to say Ihnen is more likely at 22 or whatever age he is would be less surprising to be great than Gibbens at the same age is disingenuous and wrong.

Again—one was a top player at his level and wanted. The other is a 3/3 guy in FIFTY games and has had two major knee surgeries. No way you can think Gibbens was the bigger surprise if Ihnen becomes our best player.
Have no expectation that Ihnen will be our best player. I will not be surprised if he is a big contributor.

Have no expectation that Ihnen will be our best player. I will not be surprised if he is a big contributor.
I will be pleasantly surprised if he is a big contributor on a vastly improved team. Perhaps less surprising that he contributes on a team equivalent to this years. I’m in the camp of being skeptical of how much players coming off serious injuries can do. Between diminished physical capabilities and long layoffs, they are behind a large 8 ball. I think naïve to expect a lot from them.

Don't think so. No need to rush Betts. Ihnen and Fox will play first.
They might play first but their production will be limited because they have no knees. You're not really rushing a guy who skipped high school to red-shirt. Betts will play alot next year.

Looks like a plan to add 10 more before season. 6’8” and 225. Sharpshooting wing.

So "kids change. Grow. Develop."???? But Ihnen (and Fox) are stuck with who they were 2 years ago? All i see from most on here is "Ihnen couldn't shoot when he played. Limited ball-handler. Ridiculous to think he could play the 2." "Fox can't shoot. D2 player"......is it possible (dare i say likely?) that these two have made strides in their games/skills while rehabbing over the last seasons? You can't have it both ways.....

So "kids change. Grow. Develop."???? But Ihnen (and Fox) are stuck with who they were 2 years ago? All i see from most on here is "Ihnen couldn't shoot when he played. Limited ball-handler. Ridiculous to think he could play the 2." "Fox can't shoot. D2 player"......is it possible (dare i say likely?) that these two have made strides in their games/skills while rehabbing over the last seasons? You can't have it both ways.....
I think it’s possible both ways. It’s a fair question to ask how much their skills have improved while in major rehabilitation at the same time. That’s the issue I have.

putting muscle/weight on his frame was one of the things he needed to accomplish his red shirt year. so glad to hear he was able to put 15lbs on. which isnt easy for his body.
Going to be really interesting to see what Betts can do. Still just the same age as the typical true freshman but has a whole year under his belt of being around the team and developing so should be in a position to potentially contribute next year.

Of course they can. Practice and games help development considerably. It’s nearly impossible to get better at basketball without playing it. Something Ihnen and Fox have been largely unable to do for 2 years. If you think rehab is the same as playing and practicing that’s great. I disagree.

And he was a limited ball handler who couldn’t shoot when he did play. He’s a career 36.3% shooter. And he’s worse at 3s. He also got worse at shooting from year 1 to year 2.

Ihnen’s last game was 3/11/21. The other reserves who played for the Gophers were Both Gach and Sam Freeman. He played 25 minutes. They lost to tOSU.

Last edited:

Of course they can. Practice and games help development considerably. It’s nearly impossible to get better at basketball without playing it. Something Ihnen and Fox have been largely unable to do for 2 years. If you think rehab is the same as playing and practicing that’s great. I disagree.

Ihnen’s last game was 3/11/21. The other reserves who played for the Gophers were Both Gach and Sam Freeman. He played 25 minutes. They lost to tOSU.
It would be interesting to know how much individual work they have been able to do over the past two seasons. Obviously they haven't been able to do much full speed 5v5 stuff but I am sure they have been able to work on some technique and shooting during their recovery time. Not a substitute for actually playing the game but I am guessing they have done everything possible not to waste this time away also.

Well then they should be 99% FT shooters and if we were to field a wheel chair BB team…
Must have had an extra bad winter.

I will be pleasantly surprised if he is a big contributor on a vastly improved team. Perhaps less surprising that he contributes on a team equivalent to this years. I’m in the camp of being skeptical of how much players coming off serious injuries can do. Between diminished physical capabilities and long layoffs, they are behind a large 8 ball. I think naïve to expect a lot from them.
Most fans do subscribe to skepticism on the theory you can't go too wrong doubting everything. Worst case, you can be pleasantly surprised rather than wrong.

By the way, if he is a big contributor on a much improved team, he will most likely be a big reason for the team's improvement.

They might play first but their production will be limited because they have no knees. You're not really rushing a guy who skipped high school to red-shirt. Betts will play alot next year.
If he's good enough he'll get playing time. If not ready, no need to rush him as we were forced to do this year with freshmen.

And he was a limited ball handler who couldn’t shoot when he did play. He’s a career 36.3% shooter. And he’s worse at 3s. He also got worse at shooting from year 1 to year 2.

Can you actually say Both Gach was in that game when he was always out of bounds?

Top Bottom