Other Big Names

RoyalGopher

Reaction score
The ESPN Radio guy in Richmond apparently said the Gophers were chasing a big-name guy that would change the program. But he made it sound like it wasn't Shaka. Also, when looking at the Ram Nation VCU Basketball Board, a well-respected poster (maybe a mod?) said that his sources were telling him Teague's #1 guy was a high-profile guy but not Shaka.

Now, maybe this VCU poster and radio personality are spewing pure speculation, but why not throw out some big names for fun?

- Jamie Dixon - Pittsburgh - Maybe he's worried about the state of the Big East with the formation of the Catholic 7?
- Mike Brey - Notre Dame - Has Midwest connections and might be worried about the Catholic 7. Maybe Brey's worried that the football team's rise back to prominence will mean less money for the basketball program?
- Rick Barnes - Texas - UT fans might be disappointed with Barnes. Texas finished 16-18 and 7-11 in the Big 12.

Again, just throwing names out there. Comment what you think, add others, etc.

Different VCU posters have suggested it is Brad Stevens. However, he is many programs too target and that doesn't make him likely to come here.

You could argue that Flip Saunders who be considered a big splash hire nationally. He had a successful coaching career in the NBA and he's seen by millions covering the NBA for ESPN.

If Stevens leaves it will be for either UCLA or Purdue, to fill the vacancy of Matt Painter if Painter goes to UCLA.

The ESPN Radio guy in Richmond apparently said the Gophers were chasing a big-name guy that would change the program. But he made it sound like it wasn't Shaka. Also, when looking at the Ram Nation VCU Basketball Board, a well-respected poster (maybe a mod?) said that his sources were telling him Teague's #1 guy was a high-profile guy but not Shaka.

Now, maybe this VCU poster and radio personality are spewing pure speculation, but why not throw out some big names for fun?

- Jamie Dixon - Pittsburgh - Maybe he's worried about the state of the Big East with the formation of the Catholic 7?
- Mike Brey - Notre Dame - Has Midwest connections and might be worried about the Catholic 7. Maybe Brey's worried that the football team's rise back to prominence will mean less money for the basketball program?
- Rick Barnes - Texas - UT fans might be disappointed with Barnes. Texas finished 16-18 and 7-11 in the Big 12.

I'm sorry to be a d!ck but do you follow college sports? Both Pitt and ND are headed to the ACC. Rick Barnes would be the equivalent of grabbing a less accomplished Tubby Smith.

Have to believe Shaka was offered the job. Now if it is Buzz Williams, it will be quiet until Marquette is eliminated. Things are too quiet around Stevens, but hope that doesn't mean the door is closed. Gotta believe that Flip is the guy if it goes much into next week.

Teague has to have told boosters that he has better guys than Flip and convinced them of it.

I'm sorry to be a d!ck but do you follow college sports? Both Pitt and ND are headed to the ACC. Rick Barnes would be the equivalent of grabbing a less accomplished Tubby Smith.

And Dixon just signed an extension last week I believe.

Dixon just signed a big extension with Pitt...and why does he care about the Catholic 7...Pitt is going to be in the ACC
Brey maybe...is he a big name? Though I doubt he's worried about money at Notre Dame...again, they will be in the ACC so who cares about the C-7
Barnes - big name but has really struggled at a school that seemingly has more resources than anybody

I think it is most likely Stevens that people are referring to...but he and his wife are very much a part of the Indianapolis community and with the renovations going on at the basketball mecca known as Hinkle Fieldhouse plus with Butler joining the likes of Marquette, Villanova, etc in the new Big East, I'm not sure I see him leaving for the U.

While we are throwing out names, how about Jim Boeheim? He is pissed about the break-up of the Big East & not at all excited about the ACC.

How about Josh Pastnor from Memphis?

You could argue that Flip Saunders who be considered a big splash hire nationally. He had a successful coaching career in the NBA and he's seen by millions covering the NBA for ESPN.

Since I left Minneapolis, I've lived in San Antonio, Miami, Salt Lake and LA..All great Basketball towns...I can't tell you without a shadow of a doubt that Flip Saunders would not be considered a splash in any of the cities I've lived in. People know the name but nobody outside of Minnesota has much respect for him. People think of him as the guy who happened to be coachign KG in Minnesota all those years.

Barnes is an interesting name because he's definitely going to be on the hot seat next year and probably wouldn't mind a soft landing before the vulchers come, but as goldengophers said above, it does feel like a less accomplished Tubby.

It's an interesting idea to ponder. Steve Lavin reportedly showed interest in the Gopher job a few years back and has Big Ten ties. There was a group of boosters in the past that he was close to, although I'm not sure if that relationship is still in tact.

Go Gophers!!

I don't like Barnes at all. How bad would he be if I didn't constantly have 4 star recruits? I don't think he could recruit like at MN.

Does Teague have a previous relationship with Stevens? It just seems like that is such a huge stretch? Shaka obviously made some sense, but Stevens?

It is my understanding that Dixon just signed a new contract with Pitt, one that goes well into the future. But contract extensions really mean little nowadays.

edit: I see everyone beat me to this. I hope Richmond Radio Guy is right.

If Stevens leaves it will be for either UCLA or Purdue, to fill the vacancy of Matt Painter if Painter goes to UCLA.

What? is that a rumor? Painter to UCLA? Wow, really? That would shock me...

My first thought would be Stevens but I just don't see him leaving Butler for Minnesota.

Dixon just signed a big extension with Pitt...and why does he care about the Catholic 7...Pitt is going to be in the ACC
Brey maybe...is he a big name? Though I doubt he's worried about money at Notre Dame...again, they will be in the ACC so who cares about the C-7
Barnes - big name but has really struggled at a school that seemingly has more resources than anybody

I think it is most likely Stevens that people are referring to...but he and his wife are very much a part of the Indianapolis community and with the renovations going on at the basketball mecca known as Hinkle Fieldhouse plus with Butler joining the likes of Marquette, Villanova, etc in the new Big East, I'm not sure I see him leaving for the U.

While we are throwing out names, how about Jim Boeheim? He is pissed about the break-up of the Big East & not at all excited about the ACC.

How about Josh Pastnor from Memphis?

Pastner signed an extension/restructured contract yesterday.

Go Gophers!!

I don't like Barnes at all. How bad would he be if I didn't constantly have 4 star recruits? I don't think he could recruit like at MN.

Does Teague have a previous relationship with Stevens? It just seems like that is such a huge stretch? Shaka obviously made some sense, but Stevens?

Barnes is awful! I can tell you from my time in San Antonio he is a dirty coach....I'm sure Teague knows him from the days when Barnes was at Clemson...

What? is that a rumor? Painter to UCLA? Wow, really? That would shock me...

Painter is considered about the 5th or 6th guy on the UCLA watch list....I believe the main reason is that they had success with some other Purdue guy starting about 80 years ago...lol

Painter is considered about the 5th or 6th guy on the UCLA watch list....I believe the main reason is that they had success with some other Purdue guy starting about 80 years ago...lol

And that is about as far as I would go with those comparisons...Painter has done decent enough there, but he sure isn't Wooden.

What about Bruce Pearl?

Damaged goods because of his actions at Tennessee?

LOL...I think so...I just threw that name out there because of some of the other ridiculous ones we have seen. Why on earth would he leave Syracuse now?

It'd be pretty funny if he did. And if he did, it's because he's running from something!

Boeheim would be Tubby but better results. He might want out with the allegations and the break-up if Big East. I give it a 5% chance.

And that is about as far as I would go with those comparisons...Painter has done decent enough there, but he sure isn't Wooden.

Painter is actually a very good coach but he is increasingly squeezed by the perils of trying to recruit with major programs all around him. Making matters worse for Painter is the arrival of Butler onto the scene as an increasingly dangerous foe when it comes the Indy talent...Especially now that Butler will be playing in the BigEast and getting major airtime on ESPN.

I actually think Painter would be a good hire for the Bruins.

The way I saw their list was as follows:

1)Shaka
2)Donovan
3)Pitino
4)Stevens
5)Painter/Gottfriend/Romar/Enfield

Top Bottom