Other B1G Non-Conference Games 2022-23

It was disappointing to lose Scalia, Powell, and Sissoko, however I felt like each of them thought they were the star and they didn't share the ball well. The chemistry and
enthusiasm seem so much better this year. This year, the players are trying to be a team and they move the ball around and share the ball more. I hope they have a better record this year but they might not. I think they will continue to try hard to improve.

I agree, mostly for team chemistry.

(y)

(y)

👏

👍

Sissoko came on the last few games and she has talent but Heyer looks very solid now and will only get better. She might not be quite as good around the basket but she is more trustworthy with the basketball and she can stretch the floor where Sissoko couldn't. I was always puzzled Sissoko didn't rebound better than she did, and wasn't that good defensively either.

I still expect modest improvement over last year since Sissoko was not that great most of last year, Powell was gone for the meat of the season last year, we have Katie back and Braun is better than Scalia already and then we have Battle who is a stud already along with 2 post players that can score with Rose's improvement and Oberg has good feet and touch but she is kind of slow up and down the court. I like Oberg over Sconiers or Helgren. Sconiers wasn't fast either and Oberg displays more touch and confidence in the post too. Helgren provided nothing offensively, she was no threat and her presence put so much extra pressure on our guards because of it.
I like your optimism, but probably need to wait to better competition, which exposes weaknesses.

Notre Dame up 73-53 over Northwestern at the end of three in game that has seen four technicals and four ejections.

Northwestern's ejections were for leaving the bench when a double technical was called on a foul shot block out during the second quarter. ND's Olivia Miles was involved in the double technical. The Wildcats Walsh, Shaw and McWilliams were ejected for coming on to the court.

Then in the third quarter Miles was involved in another double technical for chirping with a Northwestern player which sent Miles to the locker room.

Other than that, the game has been pretty dull.

In case you missed it last night, Iowa lost. Clark sprained her ankle (maybe) on the final possession getting the ball thrown into her. I didn't see her land on anyone's foot so not sure how it happened. She was helped off the court but walked out of the arena. I'm writing it off as more of her theatrics until confirmed injury. Czinano was fouled on the last possession but it was about a half second after the game clock expired. Was kinda hoping it went to OT to see if Clark would've came back on the court.

In case you missed it last night, Iowa lost. Clark sprained her ankle (maybe) on the final possession getting the ball thrown into her. I didn't see her land on anyone's foot so not sure how it happened. She was helped off the court but walked out of the arena. I'm writing it off as more of her theatrics until confirmed injury. Czinano was fouled on the last possession but it was about a half second after the game clock expired. Was kinda hoping it went to OT to see if Clark would've came back on the court.

Wow. I checked the score late and didn't realize they lost. Thanks for that!

Iowa barely won the two games before that.

I will be going to the Minnesota-Iowa game, if the weather is safe to drive.

Sorry to hear about Clarke's injury. Well maybe now odds increase that the Gophers win!

QUOTE FROM ARTICLE: "The game came down to a final play, with Iowa having the ball and needing to score in 3.8 seconds.

The first disaster for the Hawkeyes was they didn't score. The second one was All-American Caitlin Clark appearing to hurt her ankle and needing to be helped off the court after the final buzzer sounded.

Clark was in clear pain in the backcourt as the Hawkeyes played on, ending the game with a contested miss from All-Big Ten center Monika Czinano." END QUOTE

Attachments

• 1668805574618.png
    1668805574618.png
    519.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Nebraska leads the Big Ten in 3-point scores and near the top for 3-point percentage, so far. Nebraska scored:

-14 3-pointers against Omaha

-10 against Houston Christian

-Only 5 in a losing effort to Creighton who scored 11.

Minnesota has the best 3-point percentage in the Big Ten and the second most 3-point scores.

Minnesota scored only 2 3's against NDSU (2-15).

Borowicz is the leader at 7-18 followed by Braun at 7-21.

1668884326743.png

Nebraska better hope Haiby comes back soon because they desperately miss her. They really need someone that can get to the basket and create offensively. The step down from her to Brady/Hake/krull is massive.

If All-American (sprained ankle) can’t play, Central Michigan transfer Molly Davis is a likely starter at point guard

"....According to a Friday email to The Gazette from UI sports information, Clark is “day-to-day, but the plan is a goon Sunday, when the Hawkeyes (3-1) host Belmont (1-2)."

In non-Big Ten; but regional rival news, Megan Duffy's Marquette team defeated
#3 Texas.

PARADISE ISLAND, Bahamas — The Marquette women's basketball team (4-0, 0-0 BIG EAST) earned its highest-ranked win in program history Saturday afternoon as it took down #3 Texas 68-61 in the first round of the Battle 4 Atlantis.

"It's an incredible night for us to kick off our first night here beating Texas, this is one of the best wins in program history for Marquette," said Marquette head coach Megan Duffy. "I'm so proud of Rose (Nkumu) and Jordan (King), but also our entire team for giving every ounce of energy. Our toughness was incredible tonight, I thought we played smart, tough basketball."

In what was a near start-to-finish lead for MU, the Golden Eagles got out to a strong start and turned efficient offense into a 20-14 lead after a quarter, with seven different MU players getting in the scoring column in the first ten minutes. Both offenses fell stagnant in the second quarter, shooting a combined 8-for-35 in the period, but Marquette was able to remain on top as it took a 31-28 lead into the locker room.

MU came out of the gates firing in the third quarter, led by a 6-0 personal run by junior guard Rose Nkumu on three Marquette steals, but the Longhorns closed out the quarter on a 12-0 run to make it a one-point MU lead heading into the final frame.

Some good performances in B1G non-conference play. Here's a couple:

Maryland (4-1) went to Waco and defeated Baylor (3-1) 73-68. Diamond Miller with 32 points and 10 rebounds for the Terps.

Wisconsin (3-2) traveled to Illinois State (3-0) and were dropped by the Red Birds 57-62. The Badgers could not contain Drury transfer Paige Robinson who scored 37 points on 7-7 shooting from three. Illinois State was 11-26 from three.

Sara Scalia of #12 Indiana had 6 points, 2 steals, 1 assist, 4 rebounds, and 3 turnovers in a win over Quinnipiac.

Caitlin Clark of #4 Iowa had 33 points and 5 assists in a win over Belmont.

#11 Tennessee got smoked by unranked UCLA (Big Ten in 2024) 63-80. Powell had 5 points, 1 assist, 0 rebounds, 0 steals, and 2 turnovers in that upset loss.

#23 Michigan dispatched Fairfield 69-53.

Last edited:

South Dakota State (3-2) bumped off Rutgers (3-3) 75-56 in the Bahamas. The Jacks led 32-26 at the half and then blew the game open by outscoring the Scarlet Knights 24-8 in the third.

Penn State (5-0), our first Big Ten opponent, rallied from a 21 point early third quarter deficit to defeat Syracuse (4-1) 82-69. Makenna Marisa led the Lady Lions with 22.

Sara Scalia of #12 Indiana had 6 points, 2 steals, 1 assist, 4 rebounds, and 3 turnovers in a win over Quinnipiac.

Caitlin Clark of #4 Iowa had 33 points and 5 assists in a win over Belmont.

#11 Tennessee got smoked by unranked UCLA (Big Ten in 2024) 63-80. Powell had 5 points, 1 assist, 0 rebounds, 0 steals, and 2 turnovers in that upset loss.

#23 Michigan dispatched Fairfield 69-53.

#23 Tennessee lost again, this time to Gonzaga. I wonder if Powell will quit mid-season again. She contributed 7 points on .268 field goal shooting, 0-1 (.000) on 3-pointers, 4 assists, and 2 turnovers.

1669082628286.png

Last edited:

#20 UCLA (Big Ten in 2024) beat Marguette (a regional team).

Those road trips to sunny Southern California and that huge media market will be sweet. Get off the plane in winter and it's sun and more sun.

I can visualize it... the dynamic Gophers put on a show in LA, land of Hollywood.

1669083500668.png

Last edited:

Ohio State obliterated Wright State 105-52.

And that was without star guard Jacy Sheldon who leads the team in assists (26) and a whopping 27 steals. Without Sheldon the team racked up 26 assists in the game.

1669329609720.png

Ohio State as a team seems to produce from many players rather than one superstar like Caitlin Clarke. That takes time. For example, last season seven players had 100+ rebounds but none had 200+. Five players had 60 or more assists.

"Our defense is the backbone of our game.” Jacy Sheldon, November 18, 2022

Attachments

• 1669329273953.png
    1669329273953.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 0

Caitlin sprained her ankle in the Southern game. It just depends on how it holds up. As far as theatrics that's not the case.

Michigan State got clobbered by #5 Iowa State 80-49. Michigan State had been undefeated, though not one of the top teams of the Big Ten.

Nebraska earned a convincing 73-44 win against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in the Puerto Rico Clasico.

"After Nebraska women’s basketball endured shooting struggles for multiple games, a change in scenery — to the Puerto Rico Clasico — helped NU turn the page in a 73-44 win over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

The Huskers (4-2) hit 11 of 26 3-pointers Friday afternoon. Forward Annika Stewart — one of Nebraska’s top perimeter shooters — had a career-high 23 points off the bench, hitting a trio of treys. Allison Weidner — returning from a left-eye injury — had 13 points and five rebounds. Alexis Markowski had 10 points and 10 rebounds, as well.

“We got lots of great contributions, particularly off our bench,” NU coach Amy Williams said on her postgame radio show. “When the ball’s going through the basket, everything just seems to operate better.”"

-Ohio State leads the Big Ten in steals at 98 through five games. Ohio State's 19 steals against Wright State gave the Buckeyes 10+ steals in five-consecutive games.

-Ohio State leads in scoring followed by Iowa.

-Minnesota leads in rebounding per game followed by Illinois.

-Rose Micheaux is #3 in the Big Ten for rebounding. Mallory Heyer is #7.

-Minnesota is last for 3-point shooting percentage -- the dilemma of a designated 3-point shooter's shots not dropped for whatever reason.

-Michigan leads in assists per game followed by Ohio State.

-Iowa has the highest attendance.

1669413634094.png

1669413726884.png
1669413878506.png
1669413905002.png

1669413947151.png

1669413974297.png

1669413502434.png

UConn took the lead with a little over five minutes remaining and finished off Iowa 86-79. The Huskies finally got rolling with their three point shooting.

#21 Baylor about to tip off with a matchup against #22 Michigan on Flohoops. This should be a good game.

Undefeated Penn State (7-0) beat Fresno State 68-49 yesterday in the Daytona Beach Invitational.

Minnesota opens the Big Ten season next Saturday against Penn State at Minnesota (on Big Ten Network or get tickets).

Guard Makenna Marisa leads Penn State in scoring and assists. She's earned some accolades. She was the #58 prospect in 2019 per ESPN HoopGurlz.

Freshman point guard Shay Ciezka was the #56 2022 prospect. The Gophers will be seeing more of her in future years.

Coming soon to an arena near you:

Battle vs Ciezka -- Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5....

1669598065026.png

1669598039149.png

Attachments

• 1669597933244.png
    1669597933244.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 0

#21 Baylor about to tip off with a matchup against #22 Michigan on Flohoops. This should be a good game.

Michigan defeats Baylor.

Michigan is 7-0 on the year.

I think Michigan was a bit underrated entering the season because Naz Hillmon went onto the WNBA.

I think next season the Gophers will be right there with Michigan. Just have to keep on, keeping on.

1669682066434.png

Top Bottom