Other B1G Non-Conference Games 2022-23

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Here are most of the openers. The headliner is Tennesse @ Ohio State on Wednesday; although Northwestern @ Oregon deserves consideration. The Badgers and Panther matchup could be worth a looksee if you like intra state rivalries. Milwaukee defeated Wisconsin last season. Delaware State does the Michigan double.

Monday the 7th:

Hofstra @ Rutgers
Delaware State @ Michigan State
Omaha @ Nebraska
Northwestern
@ Oregon
Maryland @ George Mason
Wisconsin @ Milwaukee
Southern @ Iowa

Tuesday the 8th

Vermont @ Indiana
Tennesee @ Ohio State

Wednesday the 9th

Delaware State @ Michigan
Norfolk @ Penn State
LIU Brooklyn @ Illinois

Opening day went pretty much as expected. The Gopher 30 point win was the third lowest victory margin. In the other "close" games, Rutgers pulled away in the last 1:30 defeating Hofstra 73-68 and Wisconsin held off Milwaukee 58-49. On the West coast the Wildcats were crushed by the Ducks 57-100. Everyone else waltzed to victory.

Tonight we have Ohio State versus Tennessee on BTN

Indiana cruised past Vermont 89-49. Scalia with the start played 28 minutes scoring 11 points (3-6 from three). The Hoosiers are serious about threes hitting12 of 25. And they look like they found a player in Yarden Garzon whom played 27 minutes and led IU with 19 points (5-8 from three).

A big win for the Buckeyes. Trailing by 8 and the half, Ohio State outscored Tennessee 30-13 in the third quarter and never looked back taking down the Lady Vols 89-75 in Columbus. Jasmine Powell started for Tennessee scoring 19 points with three assists and 5 turnovers in 36 minutes of play. The Lady Vols turned the ball over 29 times. Taylor Mikesell led the Buckeyes with 25 points.

A big win for the Buckeyes. Trailing by 8 and the half, Ohio State outscored Tennessee 30-13 in the third quarter and never looked back taking down the Lady Vols 89-75 in Columbus. Jasmine Powell started for Tennessee scoring 19 points with three assists and 5 turnovers in 36 minutes of play. The Lady Vols turned the ball over 29 times. Taylor Mikesell led the Buckeyes with 25 points.
That's big news. Highly regarded #5 Tennessee fell to Big Ten #14 Ohio State.

QUOTE: "Ohio State’s full-court press defense caused problems for the Volunteers throughout the game as Tennessee turned it over a whopping 29 times, and the Buckeyes turned those turnovers into 37 points." END QUOTE

Ohio State applied the press to Minnesota last year. The Gophers had the lead later in the game and then towards the end it slipped away. Expect more pressure like that again this year -- the press.

Tennessee was tough to watch, they are incredibly talented but they dont have much shooting and they dont play team basketball. Some of those turnovers were mind boggling.

Purdue leading Marshall 62-57 with under 6 minutes to go.

#14 Maryland at home fell to #1 South Carolina 81-56.

Fairfield (Carly Thibault-DuDonis's team) lost to Penn State 49-77.

On Monday, #11 Indiana and (the former) #5 Tennessee clash.

On Tuesday, #22 Nebraska has a good test against #21 Creighton.

Gophers of course play on Sunday. Unfortunately, at the same time as viewers will be tuned into the hot Minnesota Vikings against the hot Buffalo Bills. I'll probably have the laptop and TV going.

1668231303654.png

Gophers of course play on Sunday. Unfortunately, at the same time as viewers will be tuned into the hot Minnesota Vikings against the hot Buffalo Bills. I'll probably have the laptop and TV going.
The Vikings play at noon and should be done by the time the Gophers start at 3:00.

The Vikings play at noon and should be done by the time the Gophers start at 3:00.
Argh. Thanks for sharing that!

I own season tickets to the Gophers but not going to that one.

Powell and Scalia tonight.

Plus, Hoosier guard Sara Scalia will face her old Minnesota teammate in Jasmine Powell, who transferred to Tennessee ahead of this season. In her last year as a Golden Gopher, Powell shot 35 percent from the field and 32.3 percent from three.

This season, she's averaging 11.5 points per game, plus 2.5 rebounds. Moren said thankfully Scalia doesn't show too much emotion and seeing a former teammate most likely won't rattle her.

"Not a lot of touchy-feely emotion there when it comes to stepping between those lines and competing," Moren said.

Indiana defeats Tennessee 79-67 in Knoxville

Scalia with 16 points and 4 rebounds in 35 minutes (Plus we got to see her runner befuddle the Lady Vols).

Powell with 16 points 10 rebounds and 4 assists in 34 minutes.

The two former Gophers got matched up against each other a few times. Anyway, another good result for the B1G

Good read.

"Sunday, IU coach Teri Moren talked about the importance of keeping Tennessee off the boards, particularly 6-6 center Tamari Key. Mackenzie Holmes drew the primary assignment on the Vols' top rebounder and attempted to overcome the three-inch height disparity by fronting Key in the post and using her lower center of gravity to push her out of the paint when shots went up, far enough back to prevent Key from reaching over her."

Watching the Penn State game tonight, is that Pam Borton I spy at the game? :unsure:

Scalia scores over Powell

And Powell blows past Scalia

Sissoko plays 40 minutes and scores 19 last night, Scalia doing her thing, Powell under control with a double double.. you can say this is year 1 for gophers again, the schedule is soft, so we will enjoy some early wins ..

Sissoko plays 40 minutes and scores 19 last night, Scalia doing her thing, Powell under control with a double double.. you can say this is year 1 for gophers again, the schedule is soft, so we will enjoy some early wins ..

Good insights. Former good players doing well elsewhere, a loss to Minnesota this season.

There are upsides also to losing them.

The new players are forced to play. That gives them more playing time to get better. In the long run that is better. Give them the reps

Gophers now are playing recent high schoolers being thrown into Big Ten basketball. It is not possible to know fully what they are doing yet. That will take time to adapt, especially Battle's challenging point guard position.

They eventually will be upgrades.

Elite Mara Braun eventually is an upgrade at shooting guard. Would be nice to have both but if I had to choose only one it would be rock star Mara Braun.

Elite Amaya Battle is an upgrade at point guard with time. Powell struggled last season and bailed mid-season, is winless against Ohio State and Indiana [correction] at Tennessee. Addition by subtraction there. Give the reps at point guard to Battle and Borowicz (and others) for training.

Very good Mallory Heyer will be an upgrade at power forward. Yes, Sissoko is a good player and missed. Neither Heyer nor Sissoko are top at rebounding, yet freshman Heyer with enough size and athleticism has that upside. Heyer has speed for an uptempo game and I trust 3-pointers.

Losing those players hurts in the short term. In the long run, the new players get more playing reps. We need to be patient with this first season as a training year. Next season is when we keep score.

So yes they were losses but something historic will unfold in the seasons after this training one.

Last edited:

Good insights. Former good players doing well elsewhere, a loss to Minnesota this season.

There are upsides also to losing them.
I agree, mostly for team chemistry.
The new players are forced to play. That gives them more playing time to get better. In the long run that is better. Give them the reps
(y)
Gophers now are playing recent high schoolers being thrown into Big Ten basketball. It is not possible to know fully what they are doing yet. That will take time to adapt, especially Battle's challenging point guard position.

They eventually will be upgrades.
(y)
Elite Mara Braun eventually is an upgrade at shooting guard. Would be nice to have both but if I had to choose only one it would be rock star Mara Braun.
👏
Elite Amaya Battle is an upgrade at point guard with time. Powell struggled last season and bailed mid-season, is winless at Tennessee. Addition by subtraction there. Give the reps at point guard to Battle and Borowicz (and others) for training.
👍
Very good Mallory Heyer will be an upgrade at power forward. Yes, Sissoko is a good player and missed. Neither Heyer nor Sissoko are top at rebounding, yet freshman Heyer with enough size and athleticism has that upside. Heyer has speed for an uptempo game and I trust 3-pointers.
Sissoko came on the last few games and she has talent but Heyer looks very solid now and will only get better. She might not be quite as good around the basket but she is more trustworthy with the basketball and she can stretch the floor where Sissoko couldn't. I was always puzzled Sissoko didn't rebound better than she did, and wasn't that good defensively either.
Losing those players hurts in the short term. In the long run, the new players get more playing reps. We need to be patient with this first season as a training year. Next season is when we keep score.

So yes they were losses but something historic will unfold in the seasons after this training one.
I still expect modest improvement over last year since Sissoko was not that great most of last year, Powell was gone for the meat of the season last year, we have Katie back and Braun is better than Scalia already and then we have Battle who is a stud already along with 2 post players that can score with Rose's improvement and Oberg has good feet and touch but she is kind of slow up and down the court. I like Oberg over Sconiers or Helgren. Sconiers wasn't fast either and Oberg displays more touch and confidence in the post too. Helgren provided nothing offensively, she was no threat and her presence put so much extra pressure on our guards because of it.

In their, let's-pretend-we're-UConn, field day game, Illinois wiped out McNeese State 100-38 for their third straight win under Shauna Green. Kendall Bostic had 12 points and 12 rebounds in 18 minutes.

The Illini were 9 of 19 from three and 23-28 from the line. McNeese State committed 23 fours. It was 52-13 at the half before the McNeese rally.

I thought someone already mentioned this but I don't see it.

#22 Nebraska fell to #20 Creighton by a comfortable margin.

I think Nebraska is slightly overrated.

I think chances are good that Minnesota beats Nebraska.

1668645384752.png

The Badgers (3-1) crushed hapless Bradley 103-49. Wisconsin led 60-24 at the half.

Top Bottom