Other B1G Conference Games 2020-21

Michigan State playing without Cook (knee) and Ayrault (concussion protocol) lead Rutgers 46-39 at the end of three. Rutgers defense caused Spartan panic in the fourth and the Scarlet Knights won 63-53.
After the final buzzer, Tekia Mack was dashing off the court looking back at the Spartan bench and ran headlong into referee Angie Enlund who was backing away from the scoring table. Enlund was flattened and perhaps knocked out when she hit the floor. The stretcher was being brought out when BTN switched games. Mack appeared disconsolate seated on the bench.
Brief update from Lisa Byington:

Penn St. Knocking off OSU69-67. You have to be impressed with what Kieger is doing at PSU.

Another update:

EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Official Angie Enlund was hurt at the end of the Rutgers-Michigan State women’s basketball game Wednesday and taken to a hospital.

After the final buzzer, Rutgers player Tekia Mack was heading back to the Scarlet Knights bench when she inadvertently ran over Enlund at center court, hitting her hard.

Enlund was on the ground for a few minutes and taken off on a stretcher. She did have mobility and movement of her extremities and went to a hospital to be further evaluated.

“I know she was unconscious for a period of time,” Michigan State coach Suzy Merchant said. “They took her in an ambulance, but it’s a very scary and serious thing. She hit very, very hard. She hit her head really hard, so I would just pray for her and her family and hope that she is going to be OK.”

A big more on the five hour delay before the Iowa Michigan game:

The delay of the game was caused by a request from Michigan’s program for the Hawkeyes to retest for COVID-19 through PCR testing, which is more accurate than the usual rapid antigen tests the team uses on a daily basis.

On Wednesday, junior forward Logan Cook tested positive for COVID-19. The rest of the players and Tier 1 staff tested negative through rapid antigen testing on Wednesday and Thursday, but Michigan requested the more accurate tests.

“We were set to play at 3:30,” head coach Lisa Bluder said. “But then we all ran over [to the testing site], got our PCR test, all of them came back negative. We were just following Big Ten protocol the entire time, and really it came down to Michigan making a request of us, and we followed through with the request.”

Per Big Ten conference protocols, Cook will be out for at least 17 days, which means she won’t be available to play in the Big Ten Tournament, which takes place from March 9-13.

The Hawkeyes headed back home while waiting for the results of their PCR tests, causing uncertainty throughout the entire team.

“I had to force myself to relax, which was hard,” junior center Monika Czinano said. “Being out there for the game, being amped up to shoot, having the adrenaline for the game, and then having to go get tested and go home and just kinda relax. I was checking my phone every like ten minutes, thinking an hour had passed.”

Top Bottom