OT: Marvin Harrison

Marvin Harrison was one of my favorite players, but obviously not anymore. It's one thing to hear that a player is cheating on his wife, that's kind of a given - but shooting people? That's never something you expect.

Here's some video from the victim. I can't believe that with these eye witnesses, they didn't have enough to convict him...guess money and fame do let you get away with almost anything.

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=4827003"/></object>

This article in bleacher report is exactly how I felt when I learned about this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-headed-to-jail-as-colts-headed-to-super-bowl

That GQ article was an incredible read. Great writing.

The E60 video segment is pretty ridiculous. Obviously I'm not condoning gun fights, but I'm guessing you act like Dixon did in the hood of Philly and you are going to get shot/killed.

It's great when the good guys win

Short version of the story.

Law abiding former NFL player (Harrison) whose only crime was to do business in the neighborhood he grew up in. While running a legal establishment and attempting to protect his patrons he turned away a good for nothing thug (Pops) who prays on the "good" people in his own neighborhood. The Thug got pissed because Harrison had the audacity to tell him and his buddy they couldn't enter his business while carrying a gun. The Thug threatened Harrison on multiple occasions, the Thug was dealt with. I'm not referring in anyway to Pops later demise.

Asside from the boy being shot, I really don't have alot of sympathy.

Note: While being an educated law abiding citzen who lives in the surburbs, I was born on the South Side of Chicago and moved to Mn from East St. Louis. Life experiences has taught me sometimes some people just have to be "dealt" with. And no, thank god I have never had to deal with anyone to that degree.

Short version of the story.

Law abiding former NFL player (Harrison) whose only crime was to do business in the neighborhood he grew up in. While running a legal establishment and attempting to protect his patrons he turned away a good for nothing thug (Pops) who prays on the "good" people in his own neighborhood. The Thug got pissed because Harrison had the audacity to tell him and his buddy they couldn't enter his business while carrying a gun. The Thug threatened Harrison on multiple occasions, the Thug was dealt with. I'm not referring in anyway to Pops later demise.

Asside from the boy being shot, I really don't have alot of sympathy.

That is actually one of the reasons I admired and respected him so much - he's this multi-millionaire that created businesses where he grew up, creating jobs, helping people out, etc. However, if this was his only crime - this would be a non-issue.

I'm not saying that "Pops" wasn't in the wrong, he was clearly antagonizing, and there was no reason for him to come around everyday. And aside from the boy being shot, there was also another person that got shot, Robert Nixon. I guess I view 2 innocent people getting shot as a crime.

That is actually one of the reasons I admired and respected him so much - he's this multi-millionaire that created businesses where he grew up, creating jobs, helping people out, etc. However, if this was his only crime - this would be a non-issue.

I'm not saying that "Pops" wasn't in the wrong, he was clearly antagonizing, and there was no reason for him to come around everyday. And aside from the boy being shot, there was also another person that got shot, Robert Nixon. I guess I view 2 innocent people getting shot as a crime.

Innocent? Are you referring to Nixon the guy who is in jail for selling dope? Personally I question his credibility. If it where a cop who shot Pops (not killed him) I doubt anyone would give Nixons testimony much credence. I don't know about you but if a known criminal says he going to %uck me up, I might believe him and act accordingly (that means not waiting until he puts a bullet in my head when I'm getting off work). It's apparent that Pops was stuck on some stupid stuff and Harrison got caught in the middle of it.

Innocent? Are you referring to Nixon the guy who is in jail for selling dope? Personally I question his credibility. If it where a cop who shot Pops (not killed him) I doubt anyone would give Nixons testimony much credence. I don't know about you but if a known criminal says he going to %uck me up, I might believe him and act accordingly (that means not waiting until he puts a bullet in my head when I'm getting off work). It's apparent that Pops was stuck on some stupid stuff and Harrison got caught in the middle of it.

Are you kidding me? You may be the last person who is still in the Marvin Harrison camp.

Yes, I am. You aren't the only one that obviously questioned his credibility, because no charges were made. And yes, he was not innocent of dealing drugs, but he was innocent in the fact that, through all accounts, he had nothing to do with this feud...and was also not armed or in anyway dangerous the day the incident happened.

As for Harrison - he had everything to lose by going after this guy. He's the one with the money and fame, and yes, people have you as a target. I'm sure there were better ways to deal with the situation - be it with body guards, security, of having someone else to fight his battles.

On a much lesser scale It's almost like when our football players get in fights. Yes, chances are someone is antagonizing them, and chances are, they deserve getting a beat down...but the random kid on the street has nothing to lose, our players have everything to lose - school, football, free-rides...and have to show some restraint.

This was the other article that shares a lot of the same views I do:

http://deadspin.com/5449790/some-author-commentary-and-deleted-scenes-from-gqs-marvin-harrison-story

Yes, I am. You aren't the only one that obviously questioned his credibility, because no charges were made. And yes, he was not innocent of dealing drugs, but he was innocent in the fact that, through all accounts, he had nothing to do with this feud...and was also not armed or in anyway dangerous the day the incident happened.

As for Harrison - he had everything to lose by going after this guy. He's the one with the money and fame, and yes, people have you as a target. I'm sure there were better ways to deal with the situation - be it with body guards, security, of having someone else to fight his battles.

On a much lesser scale It's almost like when our football players get in fights. Yes, chances are someone is antagonizing them, and chances are, they deserve getting a beat down...but the random kid on the street has nothing to lose, our players have everything to lose - school, football, free-rides...and have to show some restraint.

This was the other article that shares a lot of the same views I do:

http://deadspin.com/5449790/some-author-commentary-and-deleted-scenes-from-gqs-marvin-harrison-story

My issue asside from what I wrote earlier also includes the fact that it can't even be confirmed that Nixon was actually even shot on the DAY the shooting occured let alone by Harrison. The authors account is speculative at best. Sure he can offer up a good case that Harrisons gun fired the bullets but not under what circumstance. Nixons account had Harrison firing two guns, the police investigation did not agree and said only one gun was involved. Both Dixon and Nixon (as did Harrison) offered up different versions of what happened.

Nixon had motives, if he is willing to sell death for a living I doubt he would have a problem with lying to win a civil suit.

I base my opinon on the history of the folks involved, for me Harrison wins hands down.:)

Wow - just finished the entire article. What a read.

Marv Harrison was also one of my favorite NFLers. I'm no longer sure what to think of him, but certainly I'm glad to know more of the details surrounding his private life. Part of me admires his willingness to personally defend what was his, but obviously his methods were likely outside of the law.

Off-topic or not, thanks for sharing this article.

My issue asside from what I wrote earlier also includes the fact that it can't even be confirmed that Nixon was actually even shot on the DAY the shooting occured let alone by Harrison. The authors account is speculative at best. Sure he can offer up a good case that Harrisons gun fired the bullets but not under what circumstance. Nixons account had Harrison firing two guns, the police investigation did not agree and said only one gun was involved. Both Dixon and Nixon (as did Harrison) offered up different versions of what happened.

Nixon had motives, if he is willing to sell death for a living I doubt he would have a problem with lying to win a civil suit.

I base my opinon on the history of the folks involved, for me Harrison wins hands down.:)

As is the case in many crimes that are reported - there are 20 sides of the story, and it's the court's job to decide which on is correct.

It seems to me that if Nixon's motive would have been to make money off of this - he would have filed his civil suit right away. It seems like he was afraid, and waited a few months before even doing so. I don't buy him making up this story to win his $50,000, I think he has a lot more at risk than to gain.

Nadine,

Do you have another link to the video clip above? It says no longer available on my POS computer.

Nadine,

Do you have another link to the video clip above? It says no longer available on my POS computer.

Crazy, it's not your POS computer, it's no longer available. I wonder if it's evidence now, since the interview was with Dixon? Couldn't find it anywhere else.

As is the case in many crimes that are reported - there are 20 sides of the story, and it's the court's job to decide which on is correct.

It seems to me that if Nixon's motive would have been to make money off of this - he would have filed his civil suit right away. It seems like he was afraid, and waited a few months before even doing so. I don't buy him making up this story to win his $50,000, I think he has a lot more at risk than to gain.

Civil suits are much easier to win when there is a criminal conviction. Also if Nixon was indeed shot on the day of the incident why didn't he tell the police on that day? More importantly why didn't the officer who patted him down and questioned him not notice that he was shot?

Risk vs gain? If Marvin shot him he would have paid him off like he obviously did the young boy. Nixon was not to scared to try and extort money from Marvin (why else would he call and set up a meet?). It appears to me his offer was rebuked and to cover up the real reason for the phone call he said HE chose not to come out of fear. Nixon then went to plan B.

Are you kidding me? You may be the last person who is still in the Marvin Harrison camp.

I'm not in his camp or anyones elses camp. I just don't believe 1+1=2 in the case of the story. To believe that you have to believe that Nixon was shot, chose not to tell the police and the officer who frisked and questioned him didn't notice it.

You also have to believe that a "terrified" Nixon chose to tell this story while being locked up in gen pop of a jail where he is a sitting duck. Yeah right.

Top Bottom