Oregon Ducks unveil $68 million football offices; what do you think? (Photo gallery)

It's hilarious some of you say it's "over the top". If the U got something even remotely close to this (which they probably never will) you would be jumping for joy and saying its the best facility out there. Sour grapes. I think it looks great and hope they do well this season.

I would think it was nice, but WAY over the top. And the local media would flip their *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. I'm not sure I would entirely disagree with them. Many things in this facility are merely pointlessly opulent baubles meant to impress rather than improve performance. There's a line between "useful facility" and "Bond villain fortress."

You've got to admit that when tuition and student loan debt are skyrocketing it looks PRETTY bad from an outsider's perspective to be building something like this, even if it is only with private money. You should take a look at how people outside the little bubble of college sports fandom are reacting to this. A lot of incredulity and headshaking from what I've seen. "Bread and circuses" is the operative phrase.

A big part of me can't wait for the O'Bannon asteroid to wipe out this dinosaur system so something more ethical can emerge. I don't think you need to hate college sports to recognize that there's an awful lot wrong with them. And that this facility is emblematic of at least some of what's wrong with it.

Al and Pat Reser contributed millions to their alma mater, so Parker Stadium was renamed after then in 1999 (the year I moved to Portland, for those of you interested). Al died three years ago, so I'm wondering who is picking up the slack. Perhaps BeaverGopher is.

BeaverGopher Stadium does have nice ring to it LOL. Perhaps if I hit the Powerball Sat. night. One of Al's grandsons is a pitcher on the baseball team.

Oregon has pushed things to a ridiculous level. That being said, if someone was forking over boatloads of cash to Minnesota or Oregon State I would think it was great. A mixture of resentment and envy towards the quacks by the rest of the college football world. For Beaver fans it is disheartening that our arch rival now has resources that will never allow us compete evenly in football. As much as I dislike the Badgers, they built themselves up the old fashioned way. What really sticks in our craw is the baseball team. Beavers win back to back national championships in '06 and '07 and suddenly Oregon decides to restart their baseball program. So they hire one of the top coaches in the country, George Horton from Cal State Fullerton, and build a beautiful state of the art park. Throw a boatload of cash in and create an instant baseball power.

Top Bottom