Option offense

Reaction score
Yes, I might be off my rocker, but I would be interested in a coach that installed the wishbone or a true run option offense. There are pros and cons to doing this:
Pros
1. Everything runs in cycles. Teams all switched to the spread offense when it became tough to stop. As more teams switch, it gets easier to prepare. Only a few teams (including the service academies) run the wishbone or triple option offense, which makes it extremely difficult to prepare for, giving your team the advantage.
2. With recruiting, there are a lot of athletic, quick quarterbacks across the country who don't have a lot of options in college to work in this style of offense. With few teams recruiting these quarterbacks and style players at other positions, you increase the possibility of landing the best in the country. It would basically come down to us and the Yellowjackets right now, as it is a different style of recruiting at the service academies.
3. It is an entertaining style to watch. Watching Georgia Tech is fun. I remember watching Rickey Foggie run the offense for the Gophers and it was entertaining.
4. Weather isn't as big of an issue as it is made out to be, but the Big Ten season isn't always the best for throwing the ball. A run-game would adapt just fine.
Cons
1. If you fall behind, it's difficult to stage a comeback with the option offenses that aren't based upon a spread attack.
2. Preparing your defense for the next game is more difficult, because with option athletes on offense and the scout team, it would be difficult to recreate conditions in practice for pass-happy opponents.
Overall, I think making the switch would be worthwhile. We'd be one team every week that our opponents would dread preparing for in practice. I've heard coaches in the ACC say exactly that about Georgia Tech. We'd have the top athletes for our offense every year. Even if we got the second-best option quarterback in the country, that would be better than the 75th best passing QB. And best of all, we'd have an identity to build upon.

Why not? Everything else has failed. Recruits should really love this!

They could run the A-11 offense for all I care, as long as they run it disciplined and effectively.

They could run the A-11 offense for all I care, as long as they run it disciplined and effectively.

NCAA has different rules than High School making the A-11 nearly impossible to run... and yes I know what sarcasm is.

Lets face it any coach is better than what we had or have at this point.

GaTech had success Johnson's first year there, catcthing teams by surprsie (and he had great personnel to make it work), but has been less successful since. I don't think you could win in the Big Ten with a triple option - maybe some modified version of it - but you have to pass in the Big Ten to win. Wisconsin is known for the run, but they pass about as often as they run. I still like Fry's philosophy: start with defense, then the kicking game, then a good passing QB and a good runner. Get all that in place and you will do well.

Things don't run in cycles. The base formations make cycle in and out of favor but there is no question that the offensive schemes become more complex and blurred during each cycle.

GaTech had success Johnson's first year there, catcthing teams by surprsie (and he had great personnel to make it work), but has been less successful since. I don't think you could win in the Big Ten with a triple option - maybe some modified version of it - but you have to pass in the Big Ten to win. Wisconsin is known for the run, but they pass about as often as they run. I still like Fry's philosophy: start with defense, then the kicking game, then a good passing QB and a good runner. Get all that in place and you will do well.

Wisconsin doesn't pass as much as they run. This year they have ran the ball 379 times and attempted passes 200 times. That is probably enough to keep the defense honest, but almost a 2 to 1 ratio in favor of running.

Top Bottom