Opener against NM state

RoseGoldy

Reaction score
Do think we will sell out or get close to selling out, let’s say 90 percent capacity, for the opener? I know typically that’s a snoozer or a game but coach kill is coming to town and it’s going into the holiday weekend. I’ll be there. Just hoping for a good atmosphere as it’s a late game on a work night for many

Do think we will sell out or get close to selling out, let’s say 90 percent capacity, for the opener? I know typically that’s a snoozer or a game but coach kill is coming to town and it’s going into the holiday weekend. I’ll be there. Just hoping for a good atmosphere as it’s a late game on a work night for many
2021: sellout vs OSU
2019: 49112 vs SDSU
2018: 41291 vs NMSt
2017: 43224 vs Buffalo

I'd probably say it is more likely to be like the NMSt, Buffalo versions given no local angle and probably will be highly contingent on the weather. I don't think the average fan will care about Kill

I read that as MN State and I thought you were proposing we play them and I was about to die....

But no I don't think we sell it out / Kill is a nice story angle but that story doesn't have legs / won't put butts in seats.

Okay so using that recent history, I’m guessing we will get 45kish seeing as the team has more expectations this year. Kill’s just the cherry on top

Blah opponent, midnight finish in Minneapolis, 40K tops. Will be my first game missed in 25+ years, no interest in an 8pm start.

How many signs referring to Kill being back on campus will we see?

No

I missed the 8pm start part. Not sure why it's starting that late when it's on BTN. Our previous season Labor Thursday games on BTN have had 6pm starts. The one against South Dakota St was 8pm but on FS1.

Wanting to give people more time at the Fair?

Since this is Coach Fleck's 6th year and we had a year with Coach Claeys before that, Coach Kill's tenure at the -U- works out to "a long time ago". It might be a more interesting story if NMSU had a better team/prospectus to do well this year. But it is jsut not a very competitive program at Division 1.

I admit to some curiosity about the game and will have it on the tv. My wife and I usually get up to a single game each year (we're form the State S. of Minnesota!) but are targeting the Western Illinois game this year.

Blah opponent, midnight finish in Minneapolis, 40K tops. Will be my first game missed in 25+ years, no interest in an 8pm start.

Yes, starting the game at 8 PM really was a poor decision especially considering the quality of the opponent.

Still, the South Dakota St games was an 8pm start and per upnorthkid's post had 49k.

Maybe a concession to the Aggies due to AggieVision's previously scheduled "Horned Frog Rodeo Highlights" coverage out of Abilene...
View attachment 19415
Simulcast on The Ocho of course...

As horrible as AggieVision was ... I remember the commentators were really enthusiastic / entertaining. Maybe not the best but their enthusiasm really made up for it.

I feel like an attendance/interest milestone was reached in 2019 and although Covid certainly was a roadblock to that momentum, the days of a one fifth full student section seem to be behind us. Lame opponents will still likely result in non-sellouts, but in general I think we can now normally anticipate at least 40-43k regardless of opponent or kickoff time.

As horrible as AggieVision was ... I remember the commentators were really enthusiastic / entertaining. Maybe not the best but their enthusiasm really made up for it.
I agree - the great thing about Aggie Vision is that it generated a memorable story that (9 years later) still creates a smile when thinking about it. It's something that rarely occurs for a non-P5 opponent blow out.

Penn St in 2019 still so far has been the pinnacle.

Under different circumstances, a later week in the season with a daytime game, and both still undefeated, the Ohio St 2021 game could have bested it. But being a night Thursday game, was what it was.

I agree - the great thing about Aggie Vision is that it generated a memorable story that (9 years later) still creates a smile when thinking about it. It's something that rarely occurs for a non-P5 opponent blow out.
As I recall too that AggieVision was it...the only way to see the game online or even on TV.

We've come a long way since then but them being the only game in town too made for a joint entertainment memory that just persists.

I think of that as a lesson that goes something like:

"If you're not going to be ESPN ... don't try. Get comfortable that you're cable access and celebrate it."

It worked.

Careful... It's a sure thing until it isn't
Fleckball must be ready for "Ol Country Jer" to pull out all stops. Onside kicks, fake punts, deep passes, etc......anything to gain an advantage. Sometimes its called being out coached but its really about letting it all hang out and hope for the best.

Gophers run the ball and chew clock and its not on a major network. Game will go quick.
Plus I watched Jerry have the ball at his own 40 with 3 minutes left before the half looking to run the clock out for years. This thing might be done in like 2 hours 🤣

Burns was talking about Aggie Vision on KFAN today.
"Indelible" is the obvious label for AggieVision to all who beheld its technological mastery.

To be fair to AV, there have been a couple of ESPNU productions that made one wonder if the gametime production had been subbed out to AV...

AggieVision brought to you by Danny Gamboa's Casa de Autos

I think memories of Aggievision and all the things that came with it (Casa de Autos) would belong in the Gopherhole HOF (if there was one). Some of the threads and posts at the time were solid gold. It was such a strongly shared experience and the humor that got injected into it (to this day) simply put it over the top.

I do remember sweating through the game itself, a bit for a while. It wasn’t easy finding/procuring Aggievision, but it probably wasn’t any harder then firing up the Pac12 network now. The Aggievision production quality, cameras, editing, etc. were all so comical, and perfectly called out here.

Top Bottom