Open Spring Practice info?

Randy Johnson Strib notes:

With Ibrahim off to the pro ranks, the Gophers have big shoes to fill at running back. During Tuesday's practice, Western Michigan transfer Sean Tyler and true freshman Darius Taylor of Walled Lake, Mich., were running with the first-team offense. Taylor was slowed late in practice, and Fleck said he was banged up but should be fine.

"Darius has been able to get in there and do some good things," Fleck said. "It's just that he's got to learn. There's so much to learn so quickly. … But boy, he really is athletic."

Am I correct to think that Daniel Jackson did not get hurt on the big/questionable hit by Nubin?

Randy Johnson Strib notes:

With Ibrahim off to the pro ranks, the Gophers have big shoes to fill at running back. During Tuesday's practice, Western Michigan transfer Sean Tyler and true freshman Darius Taylor of Walled Lake, Mich., were running with the first-team offense. Taylor was slowed late in practice, and Fleck said he was banged up but should be fine.

"Darius has been able to get in there and do some good things," Fleck said. "It's just that he's got to learn. There's so much to learn so quickly. … But boy, he really is athletic."

Let me be the first to say, " T n T"

The Jet sweep is more than just a speedy player. The setup blocking is key. As I've watched our attempts to run a sweep of any sort the last few years, there has seemed to be a picket fence of defenders making the play marginal. We have had a few outside runs that were successful, but I don't think our execution has been all that crisp.

The Jet sweep is more than just a speedy player. The setup blocking is key. As I've watched our attempts to run a sweep of any sort the last few years, there has seemed to be a picket fence of defenders making the play marginal. We have had a few outside runs that were successful, but I don't think our execution has been all that crisp.
True. But when was the last time we had a guy this fast on offense?

My two cents from attending...

Athan looks in midseason form. Comfortable, in command of his throws. His deep throws look effortless compared to the other QBs and he hit the mark with every one of his throws. Knuth missed a couple short/medium throws. RBs looked good, with Evans and Williams taking a lot of snaps with the 1st team. Sean Tyler also looked pretty good. Brockington and Jackson took a majority of the 1st team snaps and both look great. Crab was there sort of working as an on field coach with the WRs. As mentioned earlier, Kristen Hoskins looks mighty fast.

Defense looked good overall, didn't see anything that I would consider concerning. Lindenberg is a baller, great instincts. Anthony Smith stood out to me, pushing and making the edge rush a couple times from the right DE spot. 99 Kesich has a sledgehammer for a foot. Accurate and long on all his kicks.

Anyone know who the older gentleman in street clothes on the field was? He was watching the OL throughout the practice on the field, and spent a good 10 minutes talking to them at the end of the practice.

Last edited:

They keep talking up Hoskins' speed. Hoping to see them run some jet sweeps this year.
He's a pretty small guy...definitely could hide behind the line on one. Maybe they get him on the field in special teams. Could see him making some big KO runs.

Where can we find the dang press conferences to these? I just tried looking. It’s annoying how easy all of that is to find for other teams and we have such little of it floating around out there.

It seems new coaches in the West are letting the press see the practices which is really good PR.
Why does PJ act as if secrecy in Spring is going to expose his Fall secrets?
lol.....you just can't help yourself can you?

There is no reason to have the media there for the full practice (outside of the ones that are designated as open to the public) and I would bet the vast majority of teams don't allow the media to stay the entire time for closed practices.

It isn't about hiding anything it is just about limiting distractions and focusing on what needs to be done without having to worry about what you are doing or saying at all times for fear that it will get spun a certain way and end up on the news.

But hey, if your favorite team is doing things a different way more power to them.

My two cents from yesterday's open practice:

First off, the offensive line and TEs are ginormous human beings. As always, Fleck ran a tight, well run, controlled chaos type practice. I focused on the watching the offense and they practiced a lot of passing plays, especially in the red zone. TEs were much more involved as receivers in the passing plays they ran.

Fleck lit up Athan after a particular series of 1's vs 1's, putting in Kramer to finish out the series of plays. Fleck was very animated and clearly chewing out Athan, having Athan stand right next to him the entire time. I do have to say, the play that started it looked like Athan kind of "half-assed" it...going through the motions. Later I saw Fleck talking to him and it looked more like a follow up teaching moment. Other than that, Athan looks very comfortable and has seemed to find his touch with his passes...very effortless delivery. LeCaptian did not participate, but was no longer wearing a walking boot, but had a limp.

If the spring game is April 22nd it is 14 days away on Saturday.

Question for the group: what happens after the spring game? Do they just come time to practice as usual? Or do they stop in-field practices, and just focus on the weight room until fall camp?

Team captains lead any organized practices with limited support staff. Coaches recruit, film and game plan over summer.

Question for the group: what happens after the spring game? Do they just come time to practice as usual? Or do they stop in-field practices, and just focus on the weight room until fall camp?
College football players go to work about 350 days a year. After official Spring practice they work out in position groups without coaches on the field, plus weight room.

College football players go to work about 350 days a year. After official Spring practice they work out in position groups without coaches on the field, plus weight room.
So after the spring game it’s captain-led position workouts, weights and film w/o coaches. I take from that that they’re not installing new stuff, mostly just technique, fitness…cool

So after the spring game it’s captain-led position workouts, weights and film w/o coaches. I take from that that they’re not installing new stuff, mostly just technique, fitness…cool
New stuff can only be installed by coaches, meaning spring and fall camp. Captains can organize drills that work on what has been installed.

Top Bottom