Only for posters who played at least HS...

Reaction score
basketball and have some knowledge of the game. I cannot believe the neagative posts on Westbrook. He literally won the two "trophy" games last year against the Badger's. Tonight if you
were there or saw the 3-1 break against the Gophers where Westbrook was the defender. without using his hands he slid over in front of the guy with the ball and caused him to travel.
he also made a key shot with the clock expiring on a runner inside the key. He has the guts of an English bull dog and the heart of a lion. He also made several other outstanding plays in addition to getting the ball to Hoff. Is he cock sure of himself? absolutley. These dick wads who have never played the game come on here like they've played in the NBA for 10 years and lamb blast him. If you have not played the game. Shut the f--k up. And yes, I did play the game and actually guarded former Gopher Ollie Shannon when he played at Metro JC.

Westbrook's the kind of player that I'd wager fans across the Big Ten dislike. He's got an edge. He takes some bad shots, but he's a leader and he's the type of player that can play on my team anytime.

Yea, I can understand some of the frustration by Westbrook when he forces shots, ect. But I can't believe how much some people dislike him. I'm just going to chalk it up to the hyperbolic nature of the internet, and that people here seem to always need something to complain about.

Fact of the matter is, nearly every team is going to have some one who forces shots from time to time. It might be frustrating when that person is cold, but its not a bad thing to have someone brimming with confidence. And it isn't like Westbrook is lazy, thinks he is above the coaches, ect. From what I see, the kid is a warrior. A cocky warrior, but still a warrior and thats what counts. I might get aggravated and yell at him now and again, but he has a spot on my starting lineup any day.

You can't make this up...Ruppert ripping people for being critical of Westbrook, telling them to "shut the f-up" because they don't know what they are talking about, yet he was the one that said Joe Mauer wouldn't be that good because he has an inside out swing.

Ruppert, I agree with your assesment on Westbrook (sans the personal attacks and swear words) but I didn't come my analysis because I did play HS hoops, nor would my opinion be any less meaningful if I hadn't.

Go Gophers!!

And yes, I did play the game and actually guarded former Gopher Ollie Shannon when he played at Metro JC.

In the 60's I played in a Church league and wound up guarding a guy a foot taller than me (can't remember his name) who played for Duquesne in the 50's ... not sure that allows me an opinion by your standards but --- Westbrook's OK in my book.

Did you hold Ollie scoreless?

If you didn't you're not a REAL basketball player and shouldn't be posting on this subject.

Every winning team needs that player who can create his shot, and in most cases make the critical shot. Where some see this as a problem when he forces a shot early in the clock, they have to realize its a blessing when his shot goes up as time expires. And one other thing, take a minute to think of the opponent. How do you defend this guy? Only one way, keep the ball out of his hands. You have to have a Westbrook on any successfull team.

Like most players, there is good and bad with Westbrook. I love his ability to get his own shot, his three point range, his ability to finish around the basket and his confidence. I hate his stupid fouls, his tendancy to lose his man on defense, his poor decision making with the ball at times and his limited ability to pass to open teammates. With Lawrence, you never know what to expect. I am amazed at his ability to finish in the Big 10 at his size, but readilly admit I am asking Tubby to bench him when he is out of control or running around the floor trying to figure out where his man went on the defensive end of the floor.

I respect that everyone is entitled to their opinions but for those of you criticizing LW, let's see how you feel next year when we don't have his leadership, heart and toughness. Please enlighten us as to which current/future Gopher will fill those roles? If I was the Captain of a pick-up game, LW would be the first player I'd take off of this roster EVERY time. To hell with the haters, LW...keep "doin' what you be doin'"!!!!

Fact is, if Blake is not draining threes, Westbrook is really our only other offensive option. Like him or not, he is at worst our second best offensive player...and much more versatile than Blake.

He took us to the cleaner's

In the 60's I played in a Church league and wound up guarding a guy a foot taller than me (can't remember his name) who played for Duquesne in the 50's ... not sure that allows me an opinion by your standards but --- Westbrook's OK in my book.

We doubled and at times even tripled up on him and I think he still put 25 on us. Ollie was a New York kid and was super at creating a shot and could leap out of the building. I remember the ass't coach at that time ( Glen Reed) for the Gophers was always around when Ollie played. If Ollie had a weakness it was that he didn't like to play defense which got him in Coach Kundla's dog
house when he was at the U.

Why I should be the unquestioned BB expert on the board using Ruppert's logic:

1. During my junior year in HS, I blocked future metro player of the year Nick Horvath's(Duke) shot three times in a game. Not bad for a 6'4" player against someone at least 6'9" at the time.

2. I also was teammates with Adam Boone (UNC and Gophs) in a 14u summer league

3. One of my high school teammates, who I beat in one-on-one drills a couple of time, was a scholarship player at D1 Marist before transferring to Oakland(MI) and now is on the Belgian National team.

4. Another one of my high school teammates got scholarship offers to Northern Illinois and Toledo before choosing to play football at a BCS conference school instead.

5. HS team played against Jake Sullivan(ISU), Darius Lane(Seton Hall), Matt Anderle(Gophs), and El-Amin(UConn)

If you have any questions about the game of basketball, PM me and I'll do my best to edit your posts so it looks like you know what you're talking about.

it is an internet basketball forum people are allowed to discuss negative aspects of a player. there is a difference in being able to create your own shot and being the go to guy and taking bad shots early that kill momentum or start a run by the other team. LW does that (i thought he played well yesterday). I realize you have to take the good and the bad but I think he contributes to everyone else standing around

I heard that you had to have played a sport in order to understand it.

I heard that you had to have played a sport in order to understand it.

That rumor is entirely false. All one needs to understand basketball is be an anonymous poster on the GopherHole.

Bleed..

You can't make this up...Ruppert ripping people for being critical of Westbrook, telling them to "shut the f-up" because they don't know what they are talking about, yet he was the one that said Joe Mauer wouldn't be that good because he has an inside out swing.

Ruppert, I agree with your assesment on Westbrook (sans the personal attacks and swear words) but I didn't come my analysis because I did play HS hoops, nor would my opinion be any less meaningful if I hadn't.

Go Gophers!!

I must correct you on Mauer.I said he would never be a consistent" HR hitter" with the inside/outside swing. If you noticed this past year he started turning on the ball middle in which means he started rolling his top hand over instead of under the handle.;)

Yea, I can understand some of the frustration by Westbrook when he forces shots, ect. But I can't believe how much some people dislike him. I'm just going to chalk it up to the hyperbolic nature of the internet, and that people here seem to always need something to complain about.

Fact of the matter is, nearly every team is going to have some one who forces shots from time to time. It might be frustrating when that person is cold, but its not a bad thing to have someone brimming with confidence. And it isn't like Westbrook is lazy, thinks he is above the coaches, ect. From what I see, the kid is a warrior. A cocky warrior, but still a warrior and thats what counts. I might get aggravated and yell at him now and again, but he has a spot on my starting lineup any day.

The whole LW forces his shot thing doesn't make sense as long as he is shooting above 50% for the season.

We doubled and at times even tripled up on him and I think he still put 25 on us. Ollie was a New York kid and was super at creating a shot and could leap out of the building. I remember the ass't coach at that time ( Glen Reed) for the Gophers was always around when Ollie played. If Ollie had a weakness it was that he didn't like to play defense which got him in Coach Kundla's dog
house when he was at the U.

I made my first basket in first grade (eight foot rim). Can I have an opinion?

Wetbrook frustrates so many because of his free spirit and he goes off out of control at times. However that guy is tough as nails, and is as competitive as anyone who has ever played for the gophers. I know some are tired of the jawing that happened at halftime, but at least they don't let anyone walk into the barn and push them around.

I will throw out this comparison of LW...

first I will say I am a very big fan of Lawrence and what his game brings to the table. He makes more tough layups than any two other players on this team combined. He's got a floater, a midrange game and can hit the three...he's an intense competitor and hates to lose.
My comparison of LW is to AJ Pierznski. My favorite quote about AJ is this... Ozzie Guillen, summed up the situation as, "If you play against him, you hate him. If you play with him, you hate him a little less." Sound like LW?
My pardons to ruppert, I never played HS hoops, only a million pick up games since. What a ridiculous way to start a thread.

basketball and have some knowledge of the game. I cannot believe the neagative posts on Westbrook. He literally won the two "trophy" games last year against the Badger's. Tonight if you
were there or saw the 3-1 break against the Gophers where Westbrook was the defender. without using his hands he slid over in front of the guy with the ball and caused him to travel.
he also made a key shot with the clock expiring on a runner inside the key. He has the guts of an English bull dog and the heart of a lion. He also made several other outstanding plays in addition to getting the ball to Hoff. Is he cock sure of himself? absolutley. These dick wads who have never played the game come on here like they've played in the NBA for 10 years and lamb blast him. If you have not played the game. Shut the f--k up. And yes, I did play the game and actually guarded former Gopher Ollie Shannon when he played at Metro JC.

Maybe my opinion is acceptable, since I played ball all through high school, won an IM championship team at the U, and with 30 years playing experience, still captain a championship basketball team in southern Pittsburgh (?!?!?)... *rolls eyes*

That said, Ruppert, while your assertion that a person must play a game to understand simple concepts is ridiculous - it often helps, but to observe whether a player is good or not does not require playing experience. (Example: I can tell a good pool player when I see one, even though I never played professional pool.) However, the rest of your post is right on except for the extra curricular mouthiness.

While watching yesterday's game, it occurred to me what we'll be losing when Westbrook is gone next year - a fierce competitor, who gives more good than bad, who can drive, shoot, and play pretty good defense. His passing and dribbling were always a bit suspect, but he improved both this year and is the team's best all-around player, IMO. This year in particular, I feel comfortable when he is on the floor and lament when he is taken out of the game. Between he and Hoff, they are the two that currently are best able to make things happen on the offensive end. It is probably no coincidence that we lost to Texas A&M in a game that he played few minutes.

I'm trying to figure out whether or not I am aloud to post on this thread because I only played two years of high school basketball. Does it mean anything that I was a really good middle school basketball player? Waiting on your approval Ruppert...

If you have not played the game. Shut the f--k up.

Can we have an opinion? We never played college basketball.

Sincerely,

Mark Few
Tom Crean
Bruce Pearl
Rick Majerus
Dan Monson
Gene Keady
Bruce Weber
Mick Cronin
Bill Grier

Ruppert, if you plan on being taken seriously, might want to rethink that intro...

Guys...

Ruppert, if you plan on being taken seriously, might want to rethink that intro...

If you saw some of my other responses you should know the "heading' itself was tongue in cheek.
as far as the guys ragging on Westbrook I'm dead serious on that.

1. During my junior year in HS, I blocked future metro player of the year Nick Horvath's(Duke) shot three times in a game. Not bad for a 6'4" player against someone at least 6'9" at the time.

2. I also was teammates with Adam Boone (UNC and Gophs) in a 14u summer league

3. One of my high school teammates, who I beat in one-on-one drills a couple of time, was a scholarship player at D1 Marist before transferring to Oakland(MI) and now is on the Belgian National team.

4. Another one of my high school teammates got scholarship offers to Northern Illinois and Toledo before choosing to play football at a BCS conference school instead.

5. HS team played against Jake Sullivan(ISU), Darius Lane(Seton Hall), Matt Anderle(Gophs), and El-Amin(UConn)

If you have any questions about the game of basketball, PM me and I'll do my best to edit your posts so it looks like you know what you're talking about.

Congratulations, you played varsity basketball in the Twin Cities area in the late 90's.

words

What about me? I played for the coach with the most wins in high school basketball in this state. I should be an expert too, right? (I think he's up to 800 something and climbing.)

Top Bottom