One commit and i think we get on a roll!

gopherdiehard

Reaction score
I think the way pitino recruits one commit for him is like blood in the water to a shark... im making a bert blyleven esc call if rashad or reid commits we will have a top 5 recruiting class.. yea i said it (no tyus tho hes long gone)

Rashad or Reid. Rashard and Reid. Either way, it would be a nice start to the class. Not worried about Jones, we will get a stand out point guard. They are doing a good job recruiting out East. It could be the best class ever.

We would need both Vaughn and Reid for a shot at a top five recruiting class. With two other four star recruits. Assuming you're talking about in the nation

I think the way pitino recruits one commit for him is like blood in the water to a shark... im making a bert blyleven esc call if rashad or reid commits we will have a top 5 recruiting class.. yea i said it (no tyus tho hes long gone)

Appreciate the optimism and not to be a debby downer, but I think Duke/Michigan/Michigan State/Ohio State/North Carolina/Kansas/Florida/Louisville/Indiana/Memphis/Kentucky and others aren't getting too nervous just yet.

We would need both Vaughn and Reid for a shot at a top five recruiting class. With two other four star recruits. Assuming you're talking about in the nation

I am hoping we can be top 5 in the Big 10, jumping to top 5 in the country is a big reach at this point.

I am hoping we can be top 5 in the Big 10, jumping to top 5 in the country is a big reach at this point.

Why? Tubby's first class was rated what, somewhere around #10-15 or thereabouts, right? And Tubby wasn't ever exactly a top-rate recruiter. I'm not saying that Pitino is guaranteed to be a better coach than Tubby, but I believe - and evidence already showing - that he is capable of recruiting on the same and potentially higher level.

Note that Tubby's recruiting didn't sour until he started flirting with other schools. Just like Glen Mason, on the football end of things. If Pitino can avoid THAT, he has the chance to form a great team and, thereby, create a great career for himself.

"Back in the day" Michigan coach Steve Fischer was able to get an early commit from Juwan Howard. That led to him getting commitments from the "fab five". My gut says a big early commit will also lead to a huge class for us. I feel it coming.

I'm feelin it.

I'll play the devils advocate.

What "Big Recruit" is going to commit "early" to a coach that's never coached in the big ten before?

Don't get me wrong, I want to smell what you're stepping in, but I don't think this is the year we get a "big" early commit. Maybe after a 2015 prospect sees the product that takes the floor next year.

Why? Tubby's first class was rated what, somewhere around #10-15 or thereabouts, right? And Tubby wasn't ever exactly a top-rate recruiter. I'm not saying that Pitino is guaranteed to be a better coach than Tubby, but I believe - and evidence already showing - that he is capable of recruiting on the same and potentially higher level.

Note that Tubby's recruiting didn't sour until he started flirting with other schools. Just like Glen Mason, on the football end of things. If Pitino can avoid THAT, he has the chance to form a great team and, thereby, create a great career for himself.

This fan base has worked itself into an inferiority complex about the U and the city. Why would anyone ever want to come HERE and play for THIS UNIVERSITY?!? YUCK!

After watching that 1982 highlight film, I'm reminded of how many great athletes we've gotten in here when we've had good recruiters and some momentum in the program. I think RP will turn out to be a very good recruiter. The obvious disadvantage is facilities, of course, but that's a solvable problem.

It would be great if Rashad Vaughn would just commit early... That way Perkins, Travis & an East Coast guy (Whitehead, Larrier, Francis, Newton, Joseph, etc...) would all be much more inclined to commit! And if we did get that recruiting class, we'd probably be somewhere in the 6-11 range unless the EC recruit was Goodluck Okonoboh (never going to happen) b/c then we'd have a top 10 recruit at each position (PG, SG, PF, C) and surely be top 5... Even if we didn't get any of the big 3 from Minn. and got some combination of those others guys we'd still have a stellar class coming in! The amount of top tier guys that Rich has already offered is incredible to me... Even in the class of 2015 he's offered like 10 studs already. I'm very optimistic that Pitino, Young, McHale & Johnson can land some great players in 2014 & 2015, Go Gophers!

That is the one thing that has truly impressed me about Pitino. He feels like this University and this program is good enough to have the top tier players, and that is who he is recruiting. He doesn't see any reason that he shouldn't be recruiting against the likes of the Blue Bloods. With that mentality, I see a bright future for the Gophers.

Not only are we recruiting and offerring top tier talent, most of the players mention that they want to visit or at least say we are among the hardest recruiters.

It's amazing to look at the "considering" portions of our recruiting page on ESPN for 2014 and 2015. It resembles what you'd expect to see from Kentucky, Duke, Syracuse etc.

2014: http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/135/class/2014/page/considering

2015: http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/135/class/2015/page/considering

Not only are we recruiting and offerring top tier talent, most of the players mention that they want to visit or at least say we are among the hardest recruiters.

It's amazing to look at the "considering" portions of our recruiting page on ESPN for 2014 and 2015. It resembles what you'd expect to see from Kentucky, Duke, Syracuse etc.

2014: http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/135/class/2014/page/considering

2015: http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/135/class/2015/page/considering

Exactly... Now compare that to the offer list that Tubby had in 2013 before being fired:

2013: http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/135/class/2013/page/offers

It appears, from the outside looking in, that Tubby & his staff were either lazy or Rich & his staff are just that much harder working / optimistic about who we can bring in! That's not to say that Tubby didn't land any good recruits in his time here, but they were limited to certain demographic areas and weren't the quality overall of who Pitino has offered.

That is the one thing that has truly impressed me about Pitino. He feels like this University and this program is good enough to have the top tier players, and that is who he is recruiting. He doesn't see any reason that he shouldn't be recruiting against the likes of the Blue Bloods. With that mentality, I see a bright future for the Gophers.

Exactly right. If the coach doesn't believe it- who will? He is also approaching this in big numbers- he's not concentrating on just a few guys, they are recruiting all over the place. Good stuff - now we can only hope the right players see what he beleives.

Offering players is meaningless. The head coach from UNC Asheville could offer every top 100 recruit in the country, and it would mean nothing, just as it does here. Let's wait and see Pitino actually get one of these players to sign on the dotted line before we all start s'ing each others d's.

Offering players is meaningless. The head coach from UNC Asheville could offer every top 100 recruit in the country, and it would mean nothing, just as it does here. Let's wait and see Pitino actually get one of these players to sign on the dotted line before we all start s'ing each others d's.

Ahhh that's why I mentioned that the best part is these high profile kids are not only mentioning that we offered them, but have mentioned how they want to visit and mention Minnesota among the handful of teams recruiting them the hardest. It's not like we are just offering them for the hell of it, we are offering them with the intent of having them visit on officials and hopefully sign with us. Anyone can offer anyone, but we are excited about the positive things these 4 and 5 star recruits are saying about Pitino and their vocal interest in the program and style of play. We had not seen this the last few years under Tubby, particularly outside of the state.

Ahhh that's why I mentioned that the best part is these high profile kids are not only mentioning that we offered them, but have mentioned how they want to visit and mention Minnesota among the handful of teams recruiting them the hardest. It's not like we are just offering them for the hell of it, we are offering them with the intent of having them visit on officials and hopefully sign with us. Anyone can offer anyone, but we are excited about the positive things these 4 and 5 star recruits are saying about Pitino and their vocal interest in the program and style of play. We had not seen this the last few years under Tubby, particularly outside of the state.

Again, to reiterate, all of this is 100% meaningless until one of these players sign on the dotted line and end up wearing a Gopher uniform. It's all window dressing. Cory Joseph was really "considering" Minnesota, remember? So was Harrison Barnes. If he is actually able to sign one or more - great, awesome, we'll all be excited. If he doesn't, we'll all be bitching that he should've spent his time pursuing more realistic recruits.

You are exactly right, DPO. The proof gunna be in the puddin'. It appears Dick Pit definitely has a more aggressive, overt recruiting style than Tubby. That's not a rip on Tubby. For what it's worth, outside of a couple outliers (Devoe, RW), Tubby recruited some nice kids (Dre Hollins is, by all appearances, a terrific person). But is it just me or does it seem like there's a lot more known "action" on the recruiting trail under Dick Pit? Again, your point above is well-taken. But I feel excitement for this program that hasn't been there. Energy. I like it.

Again, to reiterate, all of this is 100% meaningless until one of these players sign on the dotted line and end up wearing a Gopher uniform. It's all window dressing. Cory Joseph was really "considering" Minnesota, remember? So was Harrison Barnes. If he is actually able to sign one or more - great, awesome, we'll all be excited. If he doesn't, we'll all be bitching that he should've spent his time pursuing more realistic recruits.

It's not 100% meaningless as long as top players are expressing genuine interest, saying good things about the U and expending official visits on us. That generates buzz and momentum. Sometimes you have to walk before you can run.

"Back in the day" Michigan coach Steve Fischer was able to get an early commit from Juwan Howard. That led to him getting commitments from the "fab five". My gut says a big early commit will also lead to a huge class for us. I feel it coming.

Fisher also had that little National Championship just 2 years prior to the Fab Five committing. That may have helped the recruiting process somewhat.

But when they do sign on the dotted line, we will start s'ing each others d's? Just trying to make sure I understand how it works around here.

In all seriousness though, I'd rather have a lot of highly regarded players saying positive things about us than having no activity at all. Makes me hopeful that we can land some good recruits. Might not be exciting to you, but it is to me and apparently I'm not alone.

It's not 100% meaningless as long as top players are expressing genuine interest, saying good things about the U and expending official visits on us. That generates buzz and momentum. Sometimes you have to walk before you can run.

100% accurate... It's not meaningless at all, generating buzz & getting the fan base excited about potential great recruits (and a lot more of them than Tubby ever had) is a positive thing. No one is "s'ing each others d's," were just excited at the vast number of high level guys that are considering us compared to the that did under the past regiment.

100% accurate... It's not meaningless at all, generating buzz & getting the fan base excited about potential great recruits (and a lot more of them than Tubby ever had) is a positive thing. No one is "s'ing each others d's," were just excited at the vast number of high level guys that are considering us compared to the that did under the past regiment.

+1

(waits for Dpo to continue trying to remove people's excitement and optimism)

+1

(waits for Dpo to continue trying to remove people's excitement and optimism)

I'm not trying to remove anyone's excitement or optimism. I'm trying to get people to place news in the proper context. Also, while we're at it, can we be excited and optimistic without needlessly bashing the former coach?

Top Bottom