On track for largest in state class since 02?

Ole

Reaction score
QB- Nelson
QB/TE- Leidner
WR-McDonald
WR-Freucte
TE-Williams
S/OLB-Rallis

Offers
TE-Johnson
OT-Pirsig
OG-Hayes

That would be 9, most I could find for scholarship players from MN. 2002 was 8
Who knows if someone like Ford/Webb/Lee/Roullier/Herbert/Larsen gets one if others don't commit.
I like that we are building some goodwill in-state. Thoughts?

I think that Antonio Ford has a chance at an offer in the nest few days after that the rest are plan B prospects at best.

What's going on with Dunbar? I haven't heard his name much.

Dunbar is a true Nose Tackle I don't think he fits the new defensive scheme.

What's going on with Dunbar? I haven't heard his name much.

His dream offer is LSU (He's from La.) & Alabama is close behind. He's going to camp at both this summer, but it's looking less & less likely imo. I think it's becoming clear that he's not an LSU/Bama type recruit, but we'll know more after the camps. He's also talking about lesser programs in La now & frankly I wouldn't be shocked to see him end up at La Lafayette or La Monroe or somewhere like that. It feels like he's torn between wanting to play at a high level & wanting to be in La. I don;t expect he'll ever be a Gopher or play North of the Mason-Dixon line.

Ole...

You are also missing Davidson who is a psuedo-in state guy.

I think there are a few other guys who have a chance of getting a Gopher offer (more like a plan B).
DT - Harden
OT - Sam Lee ...oops, you had Lee
WR - Adam Bungum
Ath- Duke
CB - Tavaughn Blair (injured last season but he was a top prospect and getting recruited by Ivy League schools)

Off the top of my head...so I wouldn't be shocked if we saw a few more MN offers.

Ole...

You are also missing Davidson who is a psuedo-in state guy.

I think there are a few other guys who have a chance of getting a Gopher offer (more like a plan B).
DT - Harden
OT - Sam Lee ...oops, you had Lee
WR - Adam Bungum
Ath- Duke
CB - Tavaughn Blair (injured last season but he was a top prospect and getting recruited by Ivy League schools)

Off the top of my head...so I wouldn't be shocked if we saw a few more MN offers.

I see each of these guys being considered for Pref walk-on material. with Josh T leaving, I would esp like to see Harden join us but like Dunbar, he is a true NT imo.

I think it is great that Coach Kill & Co. are having great success in recruiting MN kids. That said, I don't think it is a good idea to recruit MN kids for the sake of recruiting MN kids. It is more important that they're a good fit and want to play here. Heck, I'll take a wisconSIN kid if he is ready to bleed maroon and gold.

I see each of these guys being considered for Pref walk-on material. with Josh T leaving, I would esp like to see Harden join us but like Dunbar, he is a true NT imo.

Yeah, i'm not so sure I agree with you. I think those guys will probably need offers to come here (besides Bungum).

Harden, Sam Lee, and Duke either have or will have offers.

Blair...he's in a tough situation. He is coming off of an injury so if he doesn't start out playing really well, he might not get an offer. However, if he comes back and plays well, i'm sure he'll get a Division 1 offer somewhere.

I think there is another list of guys who could all very well become preferred walk ons.

Also, I do somewhat disagree on Harden. He is such an unusually shaped kid that it's hard to put him in an exact mold. However, I don't think of him as a NT/space eater type of DT. I think Harden will do most of his damage coming up field. I think if Harden was a NT, he would have zero chance of getting a Division 1 scholarship offer because of his height. The reason why Division 1 teams are looking at (and offering) him is because he really does disrupt the line of scrimmage and get up field.

I think either Ford or Larson will get an offer at RB, either Anwanyu or Hebert as an Athlete will get one, probably 50-50 on Harden, may take some senior game film, Charles Webb has an offer if he can get the grades but that may take awhile, Dunbar could earn one if he domintaes at DT during high school ball, if Emeche Wells ever decided to take football serious he would be a no-brainer but he wants to play basketball so it's doubtful, Lee or roullier might get a chance once Pirsig, Johnson, and Hayes decide, Blair will have to earn it during season after injury, Michaelson and Rich look doubtful with Davis and Jose on board plus Rallis, no on Mollberg, Brewster very doubtful, dahl would be a great walk-on, and I don't consider Davidson a local recruit.

Sounds like Ford could be close to getting an offer, if Kill is going to offer an instate rb all signs point to Ford, I hope he has enough speed to play in the big10. I'm not big on offering Anwanyu or Hebert either.

I think it is great that Coach Kill & Co. are having great success in recruiting MN kids. That said, I don't think it is a good idea to recruit MN kids for the sake of recruiting MN kids. It is more important that they're a good fit and want to play here. Heck, I'll take a wisconSIN kid if he is ready to bleed maroon and gold.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Coming out of high school a kid is not set in stone. The program still has the ability to mold him physically into the player that he will be.

What the program can't do is: force a desire to want to be a Gopher upon the player, force a loyalty to the university and state upon the player, force the midwestern, hard-working attitude upon the player, force the acceptance of the climate and culture of Minnesota on the player.

These are things that MN high school players have automatically (with exception of late move-ins and players with dad's that played at other BCS schools).

As I said in another thread, Kill would do very well to take best players in MN and build them into fantastic Big Ten players. Speed and strength can be taught to these young men and with the facilities and S&S coach that Kill has it should not be a challenge.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Coming out of high school a kid is not set in stone. The program still has the ability to mold him physically into the player that he will be.

What the program can't do is: force a desire to want to be a Gopher upon the player, force a loyalty to the university and state upon the player, force the midwestern, hard-working attitude upon the player, force the acceptance of the climate and culture of Minnesota on the player.

These are things that MN high school players have automatically (with exception of late move-ins and players with dad's that played at other BCS schools).

As I said in another thread, Kill would do very well to take best players in MN and build them into fantastic Big Ten players. Speed and strength can be taught to these young men and with the facilities and S&S coach that Kill has it should not be a challenge.

I think some of this is a little Praire Home Companion-esque but I think you are missing what the last guy said. He said that he doesn't place a special emphasis on MN kids, he just want kids who "bleed maroon and gold".

I think you are jumping to the conclusion that only comes with kids from MN and I would argue that is a bit naive. We have plenty of MN kids who aren't nearly loyal as some kids from other areas. It's about finding the right kid who wants to be here without worrying too much about where he is from.

There are certainly some tactical advantages to recruiting well locally and those are important.

Top Bottom