On sports huddle this morning...

MadtownGopher only believes that a "fan" is someone who looks at the world through maroon and gold colored glassess. optimisim and delusion are 2 different things.

and your assertion "Andre Hollins can actually create for himself and others..."" this is what you want to be true therefore in a maroon and gold colored world it must be true. I haven't seen him play and I doubt you have either to make such a claim.

You can say I have maroon and gold colored glasses or whatever, but I just find it more enjoyable to be positive about my favorite sports teams than constantly nitpick at every possible flaw they may have. I just wish more Minnesota fans would be positive, there's so many pessimists it makes it hard to read this board sometimes. I don't know if it starts with the media always being down on the U's sports or what, but we have to have the most pessimistic fan base in the Big Ten. If nothing else, at least we don't still have Monson as a coach and Spencer Tollackson starting at center. Things could be a whole lot worse.

Well if Mbakwe doesn't come back that changes everything. I just don't know where he is going to go for all those who think he won't be back.

the classic I have broken down his film. one of the funniest things on this board.

never seen him play never broke down film never watched him on youtube. because he might be able to create his own shot and create at the high school level as a SG does not mean he is going to come into the B10 and do all the same things his 1st year he can do in high school learning a new position. maybe he can. but to think it is a for certain is asking a lot from the guy.

You can say I have maroon and gold colored glasses or whatever, but I just find it more enjoyable to be positive about my favorite sports teams than constantly nitpick at every possible flaw they may have. I just wish more Minnesota fans would be positive, there's so many pessimists it makes it hard to read this board sometimes. I don't know if it starts with the media always being down on the U's sports or what, but we have to have the most pessimistic fan base in the Big Ten. If nothing else, at least we don't still have Monson as a coach and Spencer Tollackson starting at center. Things could be a whole lot worse.

Tollackson was a higher ranked recruit than everyone coming in next year!

Tollackson was a higher ranked recruit than everyone coming in next year!

Using a quick google search it looks like Tollackson was a 3 star recruit according to scout and rivals. Andre Hollins is a 4 star on scout and espn, and a 3 star on rivals.

But that doesn't even matter. Tollackson would be behind all 5 of our top front court players going into next year if he were on the roster. The point being, Tubby has brought in a lot of talent since taking over and things could be much worse than they are.

I find it hard to believe that Tollackson was a top 100 recruit coming out of high school.

I don't see Mbakwe going pro after this season. At the moment he wouldn't be a 1st round pick and there is the whole potential lock out issue. If he goes pro, he does it knowing there is a better than 50/50 chance he ends up in Europe and I think he'd rather play one more year at Minnesota than going over seas, which he'll be able to do no matter if he leaves now or after he graduates.

I think we are going to have a lot of dangerous weapons in the back court. Andre Hollins can actually create for himself and others, something we've never had at PG under Tubby. Austin Hollins and Chip Armelin have had flashes of brilliance this year and I can't wait to see what they can do next year. Then we have Joe Coleman, Rodney Williams, and Oto Osenieks on the wing who all offer something different.

I'd also disagree with your point that the front court doesn't matter in college basketball. Three of the top 5 or so Big Ten Player of the year canidates are big men; Johnson, Sullinger, and Leuer.

I'm excited for next year, I think it will be easily the best team Tubby has had at Minnesota. A lot of talented players with a great variety of skill sets.

Hollins can create his own shot? How do you know that? Yes, he can do it against high school competition, but so could Rodney Williams. Heck, I could create my own shot in high school but I didn't have any college coaches knocking my door down.

Can he shoot? That is what I want to know. We need guards that can both handle and shoot. Something we haven't had at this University since Bobby J. Wisconsin's last 2 point guards both came from Minnesota and they both were or are top 1-2 guards in the BT. Sucks that neither could have played here.

Also, Sullinger, Johnson and Leuer all 3 have top guards playing on their team too. Lighty, Moore, and Taylor are no slouches. Make no mistake, they are the reason these teams are where they are whether they are the top point getters, stat sheet stuffers or not.

I know this.. Williams and Austin Hollins are top level athletes. If this new Hollins kid is any kind of athlete, you'll see the pressing gophers again. Your whole starting lineup is playing out of position. You're starting 3 centers, a sf and sg. It's hard to be consistent when that's the case. You'd be better off starting 3 guards with Williams and Mbakwe and pressuring the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# out of people to score off defense. Bring Sampson and Iverson off the bench but your more experienced players is what tubby is going with.

Mbakwe is not a center.

Other than height, he's basically a college center. He needs to continue to work on his midrange shot. I think notagopherfan was basically saying we are starting 3 post players and only Ralph has any ability to score outside of 5 feet. And none of them can guard a player on the wing.

Hollins can create his own shot? How do you know that? Yes, he can do it against high school competition, but so could Rodney Williams. Heck, I could create my own shot in high school but I didn't have any college coaches knocking my door down.

Can he shoot? That is what I want to know.

Rodney Williams could create his own shot in high school? I don't think so, he was playing the post for most of it so I highly doubt that was the case, most of the creation I saw from his was down low, which is why I'm annoyed that we don't try to go to him in the paint at least every once in a while.....but that's another discussion.

There is some trust placed in talent evaluators on these sites, as well as other schools who are offering these kids, that they know what they're talking about. Obviously no one TRULY knows whether Andre will be able to be the playmaker he is able to be at the high school level. Going with that, then we could say that about every recruit ever. You never know how a guy is gonna react to the next level. Look at Harrison Barnes. The kid was about as hyped as anyone has been in a while, and he looked like a mess early in the year. Meanwhile, guys like a John Wall come in and instantly ball out. That's just the way it is, you never know a recruit is gonna handle things as a freshman. I feel confident in saying that I like Andre's odds of success here based on some of his vids, the way he carries himself, and the evaluation on his talent from those who have watched him play.

Other than height, he's basically a college center. He needs to continue to work on his midrange shot. I think notagopherfan was basically saying we are starting 3 post players and only Ralph has any ability to score outside of 5 feet. And none of them can guard a player on the wing.

Agreed.

Correction made by editing my previous.

19, is that what you say to your significant other when you both wake up in the middle of the night? :)

Just me and my bipap machine. It's my imitation of Loyd Bridges.

Top Bottom