On sports huddle this morning...

ethomasp31

Reaction score
Sid said he expects Tubby will be back next year. Sid said Tubby sounded excited about the team next year, and didn't sound like a guy ready to leave. He also said that when talking to Mbakwe after the game yesterday, that he expects him to be back with the Gophers also. Sid sounded excited about the junior college guard Tubby watched last week, so someone close to the program must be pumping him pretty hard. With Purdue losing both of their stars, Wisconsin losing Leuer, and Ohio State probably losing Diebler, Lighty and probably Sullinger, the Gophers should be contenders next season.

the Gophers should be contenders next season.
Contenders for what? The Big 10 title?

I'll make a bet right now that they don't finish in the Top 3. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but nothing on next year's team screams title contender to me (and I'm on record for saying that I believe Mbakwe will leave, so I'm not planning on him being here).

the Gophers should be contenders next season. Whoa etho! I don't know man, that's a bold statement. I like your enthusiasm and maybe I'm a bit cynical at the moment.....

So you could actually.........

understand what Sid was saying?

9:00 o'clock hour on AM 1500 - Korzenowski (sp?) spent an hour ripping on Tubby.

Rated Gopher coaches last 40 years. 1.Clem 2.Dutch 3.Muss 4.Tubby 5. Monson. Looked at crunch time over last several games (final 2 to 4 minutes of game). Gophers outscored 44-10. Said Tubby's teams do not play with confidence - esp down the stretch.

optimism is one thing blind to reality is completely another.

9:00 o'clock hour on AM 1500 - Korzenowski (sp?) spent an hour ripping on Tubby.

Rated Gopher coaches last 40 years. 1.Clem 2.Dutch 3.Muss 4.Tubby 5. Monson. Looked at crunch time over last several games (final 2 to 4 minutes of game). Gophers outscored 44-10. Said Tubby's teams do not play with confidence - esp down the stretch.

I'd take Clem's game day coaching any day and his ability to fire up players, but he was also a cheater. Tubby has great morals, which I really like...I am too young to remember Dutch and Muss...

Sid said he expects Tubby will be back next year. Sid said Tubby sounded excited about the team next year, and didn't sound like a guy ready to leave. He also said that when talking to Mbakwe after the game yesterday, that he expects him to be back with the Gophers also. Sid sounded excited about the junior college guard Tubby watched last week, so someone close to the program must be pumping him pretty hard. With Purdue losing both of their stars, Wisconsin losing Leuer, and Ohio State probably losing Diebler, Lighty and probably Sullinger, the Gophers should be contenders next season.

This might be quote of the year stuff...

Unless you are quoting Sid on this.

The top 3 teams in the Big Ten lose a lot of players next year. The middle 6 are all about the same. If Mbakwe comes back, which I believe he will unless he wants to go to Greece or Lebanon to play next season because I don't think he would make an NBA roster even as watered down as the league is now, they should be improved. They will get a year older and hopefully better, lose only Hoff who is playing now, and should get 6 new players who make contributions next season. Who is going to be the favorite in the Big Ten next season? Wisconsin, OSU and Purdue are all losing a lot.

I'd take Clem's game day coaching any day and his ability to fire up players, but he was also a cheater. Tubby has great morals, which I really like...I am too young to remember Dutch and Muss...

I'd put Dutch and Clem tied for first, with an asterik* next to Clem. The rest is about right.

*You can look it up,......... oh wait.:cool02:

etho

The top 3 teams in the Big Ten lose a lot of players next year. The middle 6 are all about the same. If Mbakwe comes back, which I believe he will unless he wants to go to Greece or Lebanon to play next season because I don't think he would make an NBA roster even as watered down as the league is now, they should be improved. They will get a year older and hopefully better, lose only Hoff who is playing now, and should get 6 new players who make contributions next season. Who is going to be the favorite in the Big Ten next season? Wisconsin, OSU and Purdue are all losing a lot.

You do realize that the other Big Ten teams have recruiting classes coming along, don't you?

Yeah I do. Who do you expect to be the top teams the Gophers won't be able to compete against?

Yeah I do. Who do you expect to be the top teams the Gophers won't be able to compete against?

in no particular order Ohio St, Purdue, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Michigan and Illinois.

Off the top of my head?

OSU, Purdue, WI, MSU, IL. We have Coleman and Hollins coming in, but OSU's class is undoubtedly better, as is their team. Purdue has a good class, including Hummel back. WI will always be tough. MSU's class and team will again be strong (Izzo rarely has a down year). IL graduates some, but also returns some strong players, as well as a good class. Even Michigan has their whole team back and could finish higher than us, and we split 1-1 with them this year.

I think we can "compete" with these teams, no doubt.

But to stay that we're legitimate contenders next year when we are currently in 8th place, we lose our leading scorer and assist leader, including a PG in Nolen that helped us beat the likes of WVU, UNC, Purdue, and we're bringing in 2 "decent" recruits (compared to everyone else), I don't see us jutting out at the forefront of Big 10 basketball next year. But maybe it's just me.

Off the top of my head?

OSU, Purdue, WI, MSU, IL. We have Coleman and Hollins coming in, but OSU's class is undoubtedly better, as is their team. Purdue has a good class, including Hummel back. WI will always be tough. MSU's class and team will again be strong (Izzo rarely has a down year). IL graduates some, but also returns some strong players, as well as a good class. Even Michigan has their whole team back and could finish higher than us, and we split 1-1 with them this year.

I think we can "compete" with these teams, no doubt.

But to stay that we're legitimate contenders next year when we are currently in 8th place, we lose our leading scorer and assist leader, including a PG in Nolen that helped us beat the likes of WVU, UNC, Purdue, and we're bringing in 2 "decent" recruits (compared to everyone else), I don't see us jutting out at the forefront of Big 10 basketball next year. But maybe it's just me.

Purdue signed 2 recruits. 6-8 F Donnie Hale (Top 150 Hs last year but playing Prep school this year) and 6-8 F Jacob Lawson (injured his knee, out for season this HS year).

Also returning will be 6-8 F Hummel (if knee holds up) and 6-3 frosh G (redshirt) Anthony Johnson.

Boilers LOSE A-A (or All-B10) C JuJuan Johnson and G E'Twaun Moore. I don't see either replaced by the above 4 players.

Who? Never heard of this person. Probably just trying to make a name. Thanks for tipping me off on who to avoid in the future.

MSU losses Lucas and Summers
Purdue losses Moore and Johnson
OSU losses Sullinger, Diebler and Lighty
Wisconsin loses Leuer

The Gophers lose Hoff but should have Mbakwe who should have a decent chance to be a Big Ten Player of the Year candidate.

Sid also said that if Tubby were to leave that Flip would take the job as he (Sid) thinks Flip is getting tired of the NBA and would see the Gopher job as the last stop in his career.

Go Gophers!!

The team should be a lot quicker without Hoff at PG and both Sampson and Iverson starting. The Gophers front line should be very strong next year. I'm actually excited to see both incoming freshman play next year. I'd expect their guard play to be much better next year than it is right now. I think they will probably sign the JUCO kid, Welsh, who sounds like the type of player they could use now. They are so slow right now, that it is hard for me to believe they won't be much improved next year.

Maybe it's not next year, although they have a decent class coming in, but at some point logic suggests that Indiana will be a whole lot better.

Yeah I'm sure Indiana should be pretty good again soon. If the Gophers get good guard play, they should be pretty strong next year. They have their whole front court back with some depth being added from redshirts and Mo back from injury. If Mav and Chip don't improve, and Coleman and Andre Hollins are no better than the freshmen they had this year, yeah then they will struggle to a middle to bottom of the Big Ten finish. I expect them to be much quicker and better at guard, even though they lose Blake.

The team should be a lot quicker without Hoff at PG and both Sampson and Iverson starting. The Gophers front line should be very strong next year. I'm actually excited to see both incoming freshman play next year. I'd expect their guard play to be much better next year than it is right now. I think they will probably sign the JUCO kid, Welsh, who sounds like the type of player they could use now. They are so slow right now, that it is hard for me to believe they won't be much improved next year.

I am not convinced that Iverson will be starting next year. He needs to get his confidence up on the in both defense and offense. I think Mo will be starting next year assuming he is back in good health. I think Elliot could see a lot of PT next year. I do not think that Trevor will be back but I hope I am wrong.

If Sid thinks Tubby is going to stay, Trevor is going to stay and the Gophers are going to be contenders, that is bad news for Gophers fans.

Why? Because pretty much what Sid has said of late has been wrong. Brew wasn't going to get fired. Chilly wasn't going to be fired, etc.

And I don't see the Gophers being a contender because of the questions at point guard.

Maybe it's not next year, although they have a decent class coming in, but at some point logic suggests that Indiana will be a whole lot better.

Not with Tan Crean as head coach. His history shows that (absent Dwayne Wade in the lineup) he's not so hot.

Sid never said he thought they were going to be contenders. He said that Tubby is excited about the team and players he thinks he will have next year. He said in his conversations with Tubby, that he didn't think he sounded like a coach who was planning on leaving before next season. He said from his conversation with Mbakwe after the game, that he expects him to come back. Brew and Chilly were fired and didn't have the choice of making their own decision. Tubby and Trevor have the choice.

I don't think that Iverson will start next year either, mainly because they won't have to play Rodney Williams at guard. Rodney, Trevor and Sampson will be the starting front court, with Oto getting minutes at the 3 and Iverson and Mo getting minutes for Sampson and Mbakwe. Elliot will get some time also. At guard, I think they will bring in the JUCO kid they saw last week. I expect both Hollins, the JUCO guard and Coleman will get a lot of time at guard. I don't think that Mav or Chip will get any more time than they are this year unless they show a lot of improvement. They should be much quicker, athletic, and deeper next year than they are this year. If Trevor comes back (which I think he will) and depending on how good Andre Hollins and the JUCO kid are...the Gophers should be pretty good. i think their guard play will be way better than it is right now and the team they have on the floor will be much quicker and more athletic. Would I bet on them winning the Big Ten? No, but it wouldn't shock me if they finished in the top 3 or contended with the top 3 teams losing a lot to graduation and the NBA the the rest of the conference very balanced. If Mbakwe comes back, he should be one of the better players in the conference, Sampson and Iverson will be seniors and should make solid contributions and I don't think it is too much to ask for Rodney Williams to be a much more dynamic player than he is currently.

I really struggle to find where the Gophs are going to be so much better next year. Hopefully I am wrong, but it seems there is a lot of stock in Andre Hollins and he is going to have to become a PG for the team to do much of anything...

Do you think it is more likely we finish 3rd or 9th? I would bet on 9th...

9th? Are you joking me? If Mbakwe comes back, much better chance at 3rd for sure. They will be much more athletic, much deeper and much quicker. Rodney will more back to small forward instead of being forced to the off guard and Colten will probably be coming off the bench.

I hate to say it but these predictions sound a lot like the predications from the start of this year.
As proven in the past there is a LOT that can go wrong with the Gophers between now and then.

So I say predict with caution.

Top Bottom