OMG! Season's Over!!!111!1!

I'm not sure I agree with how you're characterizing it. I don't think the expectation is that they have to be a top 4 Big Ten team in 3 years, just that they need to see progress by that third year that leads the administration to believe that they're on the right path.

I think any coach worth his salt is going to be confident that by the end of year three there will be enough in the program and on the field to show that regardless of record. And it's worth noting that this year is not over yet, so Brewster still very well may do that which is why I said the talk of firing him is premature.

Evaluating a program is a lot tougher than just win loss records and I think everyone, coaches included knows that.

Agreed!

Prof besides recruiting, do you think we a are improving game by game? I actually think our defense is OK, I really do believe there are 5 to 10 HS coaches in Minnesota that are more prepared/experienced to run an offense at Minnesota. Did Fisch even call plays at the HS level? Besides getting coffee for assistant coaches what experience did he have, gotta laugh now at Brew saying Manning wanted him as a QB coach.

So, what is it that you where expecting? Near as I can tell, from the most optimistic preseason predictions we have lost one more game (Wisconsin) than predicted. We still have five games left (three of which we should win). I personally expected us to win eight regular season games based on our experience more than our talent. That is still doable.

I don't think it's realistic at this point to say that the Gophers should win any game, except the SDSU game. And even that game could be in doubt. Gophers do not have an offense, SDSU has a very stout defense, even if it is DI-AA football.

Perhaps the most frustrating thing about the Gophers this year is that we returned a number of starters and are playing in a down Big 10, yet, there is no game where the Gophers can say they should win. Despite the score, Wisconsin made this team their bizzo, and they couldn't even muster first downs against a very beatable Penn St. team.

I don't think it's realistic at this point to say that the Gophers should win any game, except the SDSU game. And even that game could be in doubt. Gophers do not have an offense, SDSU has a very stout defense, even if it is DI-AA football.

Perhaps the most frustrating thing about the Gophers this year is that we returned a number of starters and are playing in a down Big 10, yet, there is no game where the Gophers can say they should win. Despite the score, Wisconsin made this team their bizzo, and they couldn't even muster first downs against a very beatable Penn St. team.

:cry:

You appologists have the same attitude as Sid. he always defended the lousy Gopher coaches saying Minnesota was too far away from the talent to recruit good players and no good coach would ever want to come here.

When Brew says he saw nothing wriong with Weber's performance, and he thought the Whaley play call on the 1 was a good play, then there is no hope. You guys can sugar coat all you want. We have an idiot for a head coach. And the offensive coordinator makes me long for Dunbar. And after Brew built up Gray all pre season, and now he can't even play when his starter has to be the worst D1 qb in the country, then all is lost/.

You appologists have the same attitude as Sid. he always defended the lousy Gopher coaches saying Minnesota was too far away from the talent to recruit good players and no good coach would ever want to come here.

When Brew says he saw nothing wriong with Weber's performance, and he thought the Whaley play call on the 1 was a good play, then there is no hope. You guys can sugar coat all you want. We have an idiot for a head coach. And the offensive coordinator makes me long for Dunbar. And after Brew built up Gray all pre season, and now he can't even play when his starter has to be the worst D1 qb in the country, then all is lost/.

Gee, does that mean you are going to take your ball and go home?

:clap:

good gawd people

it's coach speak to say what he did about weber

they all do it

weber will be under center at OSU next week.....did you really think he would say bad things about his qb

hell childress used to talk well of tavaris and brad johnson

I really do believe there are 5 to 10 HS coaches in Minnesota that are more prepared/experienced to run an offense at Minnesota.

Please list the names of the coaches you are speaking of as well as first-hand accounts from other coaches or your personal knowledge of how they prepare an offensive gameplan to support this opinion. Then, please describe, based on your knowledge of how Brewster and his staff prepare an offensive gameplan, why the high school coaches gameplans are better.

Or, you could just admit you made a ridicuous statement with absolutely no informational basis.

the season is over as long as Weber is running the Offense

What is happening on this thread...?

How dare you call out a grieving GHer making an unsubstaniated, opinionated comment!

Please list the names of the coaches you are speaking of as well as first-hand accounts from other coaches or your personal knowledge of how they prepare an offensive gameplan to support this opinion. Then, please describe, based on your knowledge of how Brewster and his staff prepare an offensive gameplan, why the high school coaches gameplans are better.

Or, you could just admit you made a ridicuous statement with absolutely no informational basis.

It's based on experience. Fisch has less experience than most of the coaches in the big twin cities high schools. What has he done but gotten coffee as an assistants assistant. What game planning has gone on over the last few weeks. If not for our defense/special teams we possibly would have been shut out two straight weeks. Don't we have two 4-star receivers on the roster? (Not including Decker)

MINN National Leader B10 Leader
Rushing Offense 105 103.43 Nevada 292.83 11 Michigan 235.00
Passing Offense 88 190.29 Houston 425.33 9 Michigan St. 280.43
Total Offense 114 293.71 Houston 560.33 11 Penn St. 432.71
Scoring Offense 90 23.14 Texas 42.00 9 Michigan 37.29

What has he done but gotten coffee as an assistants assistant

You're adding to your list of unsupported garbage here. C'mon, you know better than this.

Fisch has more experience coaching at higher levels (college, pro) than most HS coaches - especially in MN. I think it also pays to be around some of the greatest coaches in the game - even though you may only be a position coach.

Or, we could just hire some MN high school coach because he's been coaching for 40 years.

I don't know if Fisch is the right guy or not - but he needs more than 6 games.

Coaching Experience
2008: Denver Broncos Wide Receivers
2007: Baltimore Ravens Assistant Quarterbacks
2005-06: Baltimore Ravens Assistant Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers
2004: Baltimore Ravens Offensive Assistant
2002-03: Houston Texans Defensive Quality Control
2001: Houston Texans Offensive/Defensive Assistant
1999-2000: Florida Graduate Assistant
1998: New Jersey Red Dogs (AFL) Wide Receivers/Quality Control
1997-98: P.K. Yonge High School Defensive Coordinator

The bolded would be coffee getting jobs. An assistant to an assistant isn't game planning in the NFL, it's what the title is assist the assistant. Until this year he has never called a play, not even in high school! Believe me, I hope he works out, I haven't been impressed. After the Cal game he was in my tail gaiting lot (37) drinking beer with the Weber's instead of in the office trying to find a way to get the Gopher's to be better.

After the Cal game he was in my tail gaiting lot (37) drinking beer with the Weber's instead of in the office trying to find a way to get the Gopher's to be better.
Hahaha....some of you people will find any possible thing you can to bitch about.

For the amount of hours college football coaches work during the season - please let the man have a beer, take a few hours off, and then get back to work. He's not pulling a Mike Price or Larry Eustachy.

Good God.

No problem having a beer, I probably had a few more then him that day. I do have a problem with him drinking with a student athlete.

No problem having a beer, I probably had a few more then him that day. I do have a problem with him drinking with a student athlete.
Capt2-744x558.jpg

dude, shut up! :rolleyes:

Do you ever say anything but comments like this. If you read my posts there are some positives and some questions about the program. I've never read anything insightful from your posts. I don't think the offensive coordinator at Alabama and Florida are out drinking beers with their quarterback and their families after the game. Some people would call that unprofessional.

Wacker left no more talent in the cupboard for Mason, then Mason left for Brew.

You couldn't be more wrong.

In 1999, which was Mason's third year at Minnesota, he fielded 14 athletes who would go on to play in the NFL:

Jack Brewer
Arland Bruce
Tyrone Carter
Adam Haayer
Ben Hamilton
Ron Johnson
Mike Lehan
Willie Middlebrooks
Karon Riley
John Schlecht
Thomas Tapeh
Ben Utecht
Greg "Stylez" White
Jimmy Wyrick

Of these, all except Johnson, Lehan, Tapeh, Utecht, and White were recruited by Wacker. In other words, 9 Wacker recruits coached by Glen Mason in his 3rd season played in the NFL.

Of the Mason recruits that Brewster is fielding in his 3rd season at Minnesota, I would bet my house that none other than Decker will ever see the field in the NFL.

Apparently, in your world, 9 = 1.

Please educate yourself before you come on here and continue to make idiotic comments.

In 1999, which was Mason's third year at Minnesota, he fielded 14 athletes who would go on to play in the NFL:

Jack Brewer
Arland Bruce
Tyrone Carter
Adam Haayer
Ben Hamilton
Ron Johnson
Mike Lehan
Willie Middlebrooks
Karon Riley
John Schlecht
Thomas Tapeh
Ben Utecht
Greg "Stylez" White
Jimmy Wyrick

Of these, all except Johnson, Lehan, Tapeh, Utecht, and White were recruited by Wacker. In other words, 9 Wacker recruits coached by Glen Mason in his 3rd season played in the NFL.

Of the Mason recruits that Brewster is fielding in his 3rd season at Minnesota, I would bet my house that none other than Decker will ever see the field in the NFL.

Please educate yourself before you come on here and continue to make idiotic comments.

Bump

FTW.

Jack Brewer
Arland Bruce
Tyrone Carter
Adam Haayer
Ben Hamilton
Ron Johnson
Mike Lehan
Willie Middlebrooks
Karon Riley
John Schlecht
Thomas Tapeh
Ben Utecht
Greg "Stylez" White
Jimmy Wyrick

Your stretching pretty far as NFL careers go, I don't think many on that list will be drawing a pension.

I hope I'm wrong, I want to Gophers to do well. It's my opinion that it won't get done with this staff. I'm sick of hearing the recruit, recruit, recruit lines. As a coach you need a staff to develop what you do recruit. How well are our 4 start JUCO wide-outs playing? I know from people inside the program that Brewster is doing a great job of putting his efforts to recruit great football players. I just don't see a lot of progress being made on the offensive side of the ball. I believe Jedd Fisch was a bad hire, probably our 4th or 5th choice right? Is he a kill shot hire??? You got to play the hand your dealt, I don't think we are doing a good job on the offensive side of the ball. I think our defense is solid, they are on the field a lot. Our front 7 is amongst the best in my 22 years of having season tickets.

Your stretching pretty far as NFL careers go, I don't think many on that list will be drawing a pension

Once again you continue to make dumb statement after dumb statement. You have proved nothing in this thread except you have no clue what you are talking about.

9 players PLAYING in the NFL versus one. It doesn't matter how long they played, or to what success in the NFL. They STILL PLAYED IN THE NFL - which is more than you can say for Mason's guys. The point is still valid that the players under Wacker had more talent and went on to greater success.

And by the way - at least five of those players listed drew a pension in the NFL - so once again, you are outmanned by the facts.

Stop manipulating the truth to try to prove a point that isn't there. It is getting tiresome, and you're fooling nobody.

My concern with Brewster is more about player development. Mason did a great job of developing players, especially offensive lineman. I think he took Waker's players and turned nothing into something. I haven't seen Brewster do much player development with Mason's players. Obviously Decker will play in the NFL but after that...not much development and definitely some regressing by key players. In any case there is a couple of ways at looking at this and one of them is Brewster was left with nothing and it is difficult to make a good stew with out good ingredients. However, the good coaches turn decent players into good players and good players into great players and I think Mason did some of that especially on offense. I think Brewster is suspect because where is the player development on the current team.....especially on offense? Thoughts?

I would say Simoni Lawrence will play in the NFL, and he is one of Brewster's

Once again you continue to make dumb statement after dumb statement. You have proved nothing in this thread except you have no clue what you are talking about.

9 players PLAYING in the NFL versus one. It doesn't matter how long they played, or to what success in the NFL. They STILL PLAYED IN THE NFL - which is more than you can say for Mason's guys. The point is still valid that the players under Wacker had more talent and went on to greater success.

And by the way - at least five of those players listed drew a pension in the NFL - so once again, you are outmanned by the facts.

Stop manipulating the truth to try to prove a point that isn't there. It is getting tiresome, and you're fooling nobody.

What regular season NFL game did Arland Bruce play in?

My concern with Brewster is more about player development. Mason did a great job of developing players, especially offensive lineman. I think he took Waker's players and turned nothing into something. I haven't seen Brewster do much player development with Mason's players. Obviously Decker will play in the NFL but after that...not much development and definitely some regressing by key players. In any case there is a couple of ways at looking at this and one of them is Brewster was left with nothing and it is difficult to make a good stew with out good ingredients. However, the good coaches turn decent players into good players and good players into great players and I think Mason did some of that especially on offense. I think Brewster is suspect because where is the player development on the current team.....especially on offense? Thoughts?

Right ON!

Right ON!

Interpretation: Someone's not disagreeing with me. YESSSSS!!!!!!!! Finally!!!!!!

It's funny. I remember when Mason was still the coach - all the threads were about why our receivers never improved. Why didn't our defense improve - we had a lot of experienced players? Why wasn't Greg Eslinger better as a senior than a freshman? Where was the coaching? Now all of a sudden he can write the how-to book on technique and player development. Hilarious.

What regular season NFL game did Arland Bruce play in?

You. Continue. To. Be. An. Idiot.

I'll admit it's not a great NFL career - but you asked. He is still playing professionally today in the CFL - 10 years as a pro wherever you are playing is nothing to sneeze at.

SEASON RETURNS STATS - San Francisco 49ers, 2003
Year KOR Yds Avg Lg TD PR Yds Avg Lg FC TD
2003 6 125 20.8 29 0 4 24 6 18 2 0

Now please end your silly crusade.

You. Continue. To. Be. An. Idiot.

I'll admit it's not a great NFL career - but you asked. He is still playing professionally today in the CFL - 10 years as a pro wherever you are playing is nothing to sneeze at.

SEASON RETURNS STATS - San Francisco 49ers, 2003
Year KOR Yds Avg Lg TD PR Yds Avg Lg FC TD
2003 6 125 20.8 29 0 4 24 6 18 2 0

Now please end your silly crusade.

Sorry. I don't think saying that some one the list having meaningless NFL careers is idiotic.

And this is just a question, but Mason coached the 97 Gophers, are you sure Brewer, Riley weren't Mason recruit's? Same with Bruce? Looking when the lettered, even if they sat out a year they look to be Mason recruits.

Top Bottom