OMG! Season's Over!!!111!1!

MBAGuy

Needs something to cheer about
Reaction score
Get over it.

We lost a game everyone on the planet thought we were going to lose. There are a lot of things we need to work on, no doubt, but it's going to take some time. The sky is not falling. We beat a Purdue team a week ago that owned tOSU today. Just show some effing patience for God's sake.

we performed poorly, our offense stinks. what happens next year minus decker?

we performed poorly, our offense stinks. what happens next year minus decker?

We're totally effed. We'll probably lose every game. We've got no WRs on the team and no one will develop to get any better next year. We lose all of our defensive stars and will rely on a bunch of scrubs. God, we should consider disbanding the football program now. Maybe the MIAC will take us.

We're totally effed. We'll probably lose every game. We've got no WRs on the team and no one will develop to get any better next year. We lose all of our defensive stars and will rely on a bunch of scrubs. God, we should consider disbanding the football program now. Maybe the MIAC will take us.

nice work MBAGuy! :clap:

This was almost as poopy a game as Iowa last year

I expected a loss today, but the expectation was for the Gophers to at least be competitive. Score some points, maybe not make Penn States offense so tired and the Gophers offense look so rested yet cold. The Gophers were not competitive today against superior competition nonetheless, they will play on. Hopefully we can convert more first downs against the Buckeyes next week,maybe get the defense off the football field that would be progress and maybe even a little improvement. We give up less than 1 sack next week and convert more than, 5-10 first downs maybe force a punt, and then we will see some progress. This is year three there should be a little progress as the season goes on.
The goal next week has to be to make some measurable progress and maybe show up. Just a bad football game, turn the page
that's about all you can do. Why do so many fear next year, I for one am looking forward to some new players on the field next
year? I for one am ready for as many Brewster rercruits to play as possible on defense. Any and all pass rushers please apply.

I expected a loss today, but the expectation was for the Gophers to at least be competitive. Score some points, maybe not make Penn States offense so tired and the Gophers offense look so rested yet cold. The Gophers were not competitive today against superior competition nonetheless, they will play on. Hopefully we can convert more first downs against the Buckeyes next week,maybe get the defense off the football field that would progress. We give up less than 1 sack next week and convert more than, 5-10 first downs maybe force a punt, and then we will see some progress. This is year three there should be a little progress as the season goes on.

Yep, we laid a turd today. That's going to happen sometimes. tOSU laid a turd today and they're miles better than us. Our offense needs some work. I don't know if Gray is the answer or not, but we need to show better in the passing game than what we've seen over the last two weeks. I trust the coaching staff will address it. If not, they'll probably get canned and we'll try something new. That's how it works.

I'm just tired of all the idiotic bloodletting that takes place on this site after any loss. tOSU fans have a right to be irate right now because they are a solid team that lost to a grossly inferior team. We can be annoyed at our lack of offensive consistency, but the whole sky-is-falling attitude on here is just ridiculous. Folks, it's going to take more than 2.5 years to build a winning program.

Yep, we laid a turd today. That's going to happen sometimes. tOSU laid a turd today and they're miles better than us. Our offense needs some work. I don't know if Gray is the answer or not, but we need to show better in the passing game than what we've seen over the last two weeks. I trust the coaching staff will address it. If not, they'll probably get canned and we'll try something new. That's how it works.

I'm just tired of all the idiotic bloodletting that takes place on this site after any loss. tOSU fans have a right to be irate right now because they are a solid team that lost to a grossly inferior team. We can be annoyed at our lack of offensive consistency, but the whole sky-is-falling attitude on here is just ridiculous. Folks, it's going to take more than 2.5 years to build a winning program.

one of the better posts i have read on here in quite a while - including my own! ;)

We were a winning football program 3 years ago, not a January 1 inning program but a winning program. I've had season tickets for 22 years and turned 40 on Tuesday. I've been through 4 different coaches. Wacker left no more talent in the cupboard for Mason, then Mason left for Brew. We are outmatched on offense this year, I truly believe that if Dunbar were here we would have had a much better offense. There's something to be said about developing the talent that you do have. I haven't seen much improvement in this program.

We were a winning football program 3 years ago, not a January 1 inning program but a winning program. I've had season tickets for 22 years and turned 40 on Tuesday. I've been through 4 different coaches. Wacker left no more talent in the cupboard for Mason, then Mason left for Brew. We are outmatched on offense this year, I truly believe that if Dunbar were here we would have had a much better offense. There's something to be said about developing the talent that you do have. I haven't seen much improvement in this program.

6-7 is a winning team?? 3-5 in league play averaged over 10 years is a winning program?? :rolleyes:

As I recall Wacker left three All-Americans.

Man, you should have been around for the 84-13 Nebraska game.

Stay positive everyone

By the end of the third quarter we actually crossed mid-field

I cant wait for OSU.....that will be special

I was there for one around 1988-89, Paul Hopewell dropped a wide-open post pattern and it was all down-hill from there.

I think we (Gopher Fans) should expect more, I'm sick of hearing all the excuses. I don't think next year will be much better. If someone out there of Tubby Smith's caliber wanted this job, I'd have no problem supporting a change. If you think our offense is improved, you've got to be the most positive person in the Great State of Minnesota.

6-7 is a winning team?? 3-5 in league play averaged over 10 years is a winning program?? :rolleyes:

As I recall Wacker left three All-Americans.

Man, you should have been around for the 84-13 Nebraska game.

I think we (Gopher Fans) should expect more, I'm sick of hearing all the excuses. I don't think next year will be much better. If someone out there of Tubby Smith's caliber wanted this job, I'd have no problem supporting a change. If you think our offense is improved, you've got to be the most positive person in the Great State of Minnesota.

So, what is it that you where expecting? Near as I can tell, from the most optimistic preseason predictions we have lost one more game (Wisconsin) than predicted. We still have five games left (three of which we should win). I personally expected us to win eight regular season games based on our experience more than our talent. That is still doable.

Tubby Smith wanted the Minnesota job because he knew it was a place where they wouldn't call for the coach's head over unrealistic expectations.

Think about it.

So, what is it that you where expecting? Near as I can tell, from the most optimistic preseason predictions we have lost one more game (Wisconsin) than predicted. We still have five games left (three of which we should win). I personally expected us to win eight regular season games based on our experience more than our talent. That is still doable.

Hopefully our defense plays well enough for us to win 7, I don't think we're good enough on that side of the ball to sweep. What do I want, I want to see improvement, I think we went from an average offense last year to a poor offense this year. Eric Decker has accounted for 1/3 of our total offense, what happens next year?

Tubby Smith wanted the Minnesota job because he knew it was a place where they wouldn't call for the coach's head over unrealistic expectations.

Think about it.

So you would choose coach Brew over a Tubby Smith type in football?

So you would choose coach Brew over a Tubby Smith type in football?
So apparently you didn't think about it.

If we fired Brewster after 3 seasons, nobody is going to want this job. Tubby took the Minnesota job because he wanted a place with job security with fans that would appreciate effort and improvement.

It would be incredibly disrespectful, not to mention unwise, to fire Brewster after only 3 years on the job.

Hopefully our defense plays well enough for us to win 7, I don't think we're good enough on that side of the ball to sweep. What do I want, I want to see improvement, I think we went from an average offense last year to a poor offense this year. Eric Decker has accounted for 1/3 of our total offense, what happens next year?

What, you're looking for stats? We score from the one at the start of the second quarter today and we are down 13 with 13 minutes left. Hardly out of it. Instead their D comes up with a big play. Life is like that some time. I personally don't give a rat's behind how many yards we gain or how many minutes we hold the ball, I am looking for wins.

As for next year, at times I think Decker is almost a liability where Weber is concerned. Decker is sort of a crutch for him. I think with Decker gone, Weber will be forced to quarterback.

If we fired Brewster after 3 seasons, nobody is going to want this job. Tubby took the Minnesota job because he wanted a place with job security with fans that would appreciate effort and improvement.

It would be incredibly disrespectful, not to mention unwise, to fire Brewster after only 3 years on the job.

Not to mention that Brewster is only making $800K per year. Now a days that is pretty close to chump change.

There are always going to coaches at smaller level programs or coordinators at programs that are going to want to coach in a BCS conference regardless. Also, with Brewster's record thus far it isn't as if there is going to be national outrage if he were replaced. This would not be a Tommy Tuberville type of situation.

There are always going to coaches at smaller level programs or coordinators at programs that are going to want to coach in a BCS conference regardless. Also, with Brewster's record thus far it isn't as if there is going to be national outrage if he were replaced. This would not be a Tommy Tuberville type of situation.
Yes, someone will take the job, but nobody in a Tubby Smith class, which is what the OP was about.

Brewster has done no worse than his predecesor, who got 10 years. It's not like he took a good program and made it worse. He took an average program and made it average, he deserves more time to try and turn it around with his guys, and he'll get it.

Tubby Smith took the Minnesota job because he determined he could WIN at Minnesota. He could have went to any number of schools that "would appreciate effort and improvement".

Minnesota is a good job, and it is time to start winning here. Is it time to fire Brewster? Not today, but he should be evaluated after the season. I agree with you that firing Brewster after 3 years is probably a bad idea. That said, if this year ends poorly and Maturi determines next year is unlikely to see significant improvement, he should make the move this year rather waiting a year. I like some of what I've seen from Brewster and I hope he succeeds, but year 3 cannot be a complete free pass. If his 3 year resume involves losing every trophy game he was apart of, you can't really argue that firing him would be "unfair".

Tubby Smith took the Minnesota job because he determined he could WIN at Minnesota. He could have went to any number of schools that "would appreciate effort and improvement".
Tubby left Kentucky for Minnesota because he wanted to win? Mmmkay.

Yes, someone will take the job, but nobody in a Tubby Smith class, which is what the OP was about.

Brewster has done no worse than his predecesor, who got 10 years. It's not like he took a good program and made it worse. He took an average program and made it average, he deserves more time to try and turn it around with his guys, and he'll get it.

He took an outstanding run offense and made it poor, he took a poor defense and made it average.

Get over it.

We lost a game everyone on the planet thought we were going to lose. There are a lot of things we need to work on, no doubt, but it's going to take some time. The sky is not falling. We beat a Purdue team a week ago that owned tOSU today. Just show some effing patience for God's sake.

Next season has always been the year that the schedule favors the Gophers. This year's murderer's row of @Penn State, @Ohio State, @Iowa reverses next year with all the games at TCF.

This does matter...

Wisconsin's resurgence in 1993 looked like this:

Date Opponent Result
Sep 4, 1993 vs Nevada W 35 - 17
Sep 11, 1993 at Southern Methodist W 24 - 16
Sep 18, 1993 vs Iowa State W 28 - 7
Sep 25, 1993 at Indiana W 27 - 15
Oct 9, 1993 vs Northwestern W 53 - 14
Oct 16, 1993 at Purdue W 42 - 28
Oct 23, 1993 at Minnesota L 21 - 28
Oct 30, 1993 vs Michigan W 13 - 10
Nov 6, 1993 vs Ohio State T 14 - 14
Nov 20, 1993 at Illinois W 35 - 10
Dec 5, 1993 vs Michigan State W 41 - 20

Some notes: UW qualified for the Rose Bowl by virtue of a tie with Ohio State at 6-1-1 in conference with a head to head tie. They also tied in the first tiebreaker, overall record at 10-1-1. They got the nod because it had been 30 years since they'd been to Pasadena. Included in this record was a come from behind win at SMU where they were down late - lose that game and tOSU is in Pasadena. Also, at the time of the Ohio State tie, tOSU had no loss. Michigan had to defeat them on the last day of their season to open the door for UW. Finally, notice who was not on the UW schedule, Penn State (with Kerry Collins / KiJana Carter / Kyle Brady), and Iowa - who at the time owned a 16 game winning streak against Wisconsin that wouldn't be broken until 1997. Also noteworthy is that Wisconsin didn't qualify for a bowl in 1992.

My point is that sometimes the stars actually do need to align to have a breakthrough season.

Even if the Gophers fail to win either of thier remaining road games, they can improve on their Big Ten record by finishing 4-4 in conference and they can win a bowl game. This in my opinion would be a nice step forward for this team.

I don't think respect enters into it. You only have a job as long as management believes you're earning a fair return on their investment.

I think talk of firing Brewster is grossly premature at this point, however I don't think the administration's willingness to make a move after 3 years would make it a tough hire. At worst coaches might ask for more guaranteed years up front, but I think everyone in the profession knows they only have a job as long as they perform.

I don't think respect enters into it. You only have a job as long as management believes you're earning a fair return on their investment.

I think talk of firing Brewster is grossly premature at this point, however I don't think the administration's willingness to make a move after 3 years would make it a tough hire. At worst coaches might ask for more guaranteed years up front, but I think everyone in the profession knows they only have a job as long as they perform.
Let's say the Gophers finish at 6-6, 3-5 in the Big Ten. If we fire Brewster, we're essentially saying that you had better take a program that hasn't done *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# in over 30 years and make them a top 3-4 Big Ten team in 3 years or you're fired.

Good luck making that sell.

Let's say the Gophers finish at 6-6, 3-5 in the Big Ten. If we fire Brewster, we're essentially saying that you had better take a program that hasn't done *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# in over 30 years and make them a top 3-4 Big Ten team in 3 years or you're fired.

Good luck making that sell.
I'm not sure I agree with how you're characterizing it. I don't think the expectation is that they have to be a top 4 Big Ten team in 3 years, just that they need to see progress by that third year that leads the administration to believe that they're on the right path.

I think any coach worth his salt is going to be confident that by the end of year three there will be enough in the program and on the field to show that regardless of record. And it's worth noting that this year is not over yet, so Brewster still very well may do that which is why I said the talk of firing him is premature.

Evaluating a program is a lot tougher than just win loss records and I think everyone, coaches included knows that.

Top Bottom