Omaha World Herald: Quarterback derby in the Big Ten West is a five-horse race

jaymil

Reaction score
Minnesota’s 28-24 win at Nebraska last season wasn’t fun for Husker fans. It might have been the nail in Bo Pelini’s coffin, too.

But, in a vacuum, it was a tight, exciting football game featuring strong performances from both quarterbacks. NU’s Tommy Armstrong, shrugging off weeks of struggles, created plays with his scrambles and improvised throws, amassing 268 total yards on just 31 combined pass and rush attempts. At 8.65 yards per attempt, it was Armstrong’s most explosive, efficient game in Big Ten play.

Trouble was, Minnesota’s Mitch Leidner played the most complete game of his career.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mckewo...cle_4d19a5e6-17be-11e5-9353-b7b5deeda713.html

Mitch Leidner will be the West MVP! Big year coming starting with TCU at home.

Key to his success? The new center.

An excellent read. I wish we had local sportswriters doing that caliber of work.

I can't remember... Who started for the Gophers at QB against Nebraska at home in 2013? The article said Leidner, but I mostly remember Nelson in that game. Can't remember who started.

I can't remember... Who started for the Gophers at QB against Nebraska at home in 2013? The article said Leidner, but I mostly remember Nelson in that game. Can't remember who started.

If I remember correctly, Leidner may have started the first series or two and Nelson finished the game. I remember it was Nelson who threw that TD pass to Engel on 4th and 18.

An excellent read. I wish we had local sportswriters doing that caliber of work.
+1. That was a great read. It also really goes to show the level of quarterback play in the West when a writer from another B1G city is saying that Mitch might be the best QB in the division.

Mitch Leidner has thrown a careers worth of one hoppers and 50 yard bombs when 40 were needed.
I wonder sometimes if he has a vision or depth perception problem

ML7 is a gamer

not always pretty but last years step forward brings hopes that this year could be better

some people on GH cant remember that ML7 had this team 1 win away from the West title, everybody wants that flashy QB but ML7 just gets it done

I cant say he will be MVP this season but if he improves over last year I will be happy

hopefully if an injury occurs we find a back up that can step up and fill the shoes

Is it just me, or was that article very articulate, well written, well researched and quite informative? Amelia? Local Fish Wraps? Not so much.

So if you haven't read the article linked above, give it a quick read.

They take CFB seriously in Neb. and it shows in the coverage. It is an afterthought in the Twin Cities.

If you want to project Leidner's next season, rewatch the Nebraska game...
He runs the ball like a fullback, more strongly than quickly. He makes one really nice throw, then bounces the next. He has good escapability but rarely makes a big play on the scramble. He is pretty safe with his throws, which limits interceptions. He fumbles a little too often (twice in the winning drive- one being recovered by his lineman, the other just after the whistle). And he is a productive, if not explosive, complement to an inside running attack.
That is what he is. Probably middle of the pack talent at his position in the conference.

Top Bottom