OLD MUSIC

It's been my favorite album for 35 years now. Was fortunate to see Joe at Glam Slam when he toured behind his Rock Art and the X-Ray Style album. Fantastic show. Perhaps the best part was him altering the lyrics to Bankrobber Dub to get the audience to rush over to 1st Ave to catch Robyn Hitchcock afterwards.
Wow, that must have been a cool doubleheader.

I really regret not going to see Hitchcock at the Turf last month. Just couldn't envision mustering up the energy to go to a midweek show. Stupid.

Wow, that must have been a cool doubleheader.

I really regret not going to see Hitchcock at the Turf last month. Just couldn't envision mustering up the energy to go to a midweek show. Stupid.
Yo La Tengo got my money that week. Still wanted to see Hitchcock though.

I have a vague recollection of watching this on Fridays (SNL/ABC knock off that had Michael Richards) and thinking as an 11 year old "WTF?!!"

The Clash - Clampdown

I have a vague recollection of watching this on Fridays (SNL/ABC knock off that had Michael Richards) and thinking as an 11 year old "WTF?!!"

The Clash - Clampdown

I loved Fridays.

Already in his 70s when this was filmed a few years ago, I don't think it's possible to age more gracefully than Yusuf.

Cat Stevens, The Wind

top5_BobDylanBirthday_4330.jpg

Coolhand posted a different version of this song written by Guy Clark in another thread. It's now occurred to me that I have seen it covered by 3 musicians performing at the Minnesota Zoo.

This ACL version takes on a different low-key/campfire vibe, but still fantastic.

L.A. Freeway

Last edited:

Just looking through my music collection, I think the Cure would rank #1 on my list of still active bands/artists that I haven't seen live but would like to see perform.
As it turns out, I will have to replace the The Cure as #1 on my list after Thursday, barring anything unforeseen.

Pictures of You

As it turns out, I will have to replace the The Cure as #1 on my list after Thursday, barring anything unforeseen.

Pictures of You

The Cure at Coachella back in 2004 was amazing. Every song was truly great.
Fast forward to seeing them in Chicago about two months later...terrible.

The Cars debut album came out 45 years ago today. I could post one of the many classic songs but instead I'm going to give you this story from Elliot Easton about how he met Neil Diamond while Easton was in junior high. Maybe my favorite celebrity encounter storie ever.

In the same interview, Easton also recalls the time he borrowed a guitar string from a bathing-suit clad Neil Diamond, after learning the songwriter’s parents lived opposite his junior high school band’s rehearsal space, in Massapequa, New York.

“We could see this yellow Lincoln Continental [in the drive opposite] so we knew Neil was there visiting his parents. So this was a Sunday, I broke a string on my guitar, ‘Where are we going to get a string?’ ‘Oh, Neil’s home!’ His parents lived directly across the street, so I crossed the street and knocked on the door and Neil answers in a bathing suit! I’ll never forget it.

“We were like, ‘Uh, Mr. Diamond, you wouldn’t happen to have a guitar string? We broke a string and we’re having our band practice…’ He goes, ‘Sure I do!’ He goes over to the trunk of his car, opens up his guitar case and gives me a Gibson Sonamatic string. I kept the envelope. I kept it forever.”

The Cars debut album came out 45 years ago today. I could post one of the many classic songs but instead I'm going to give you this story from Elliot Easton about how he met Neil Diamond while Easton was in junior high. Maybe my favorite celebrity encounter storie ever.

In the same interview, Easton also recalls the time he borrowed a guitar string from a bathing-suit clad Neil Diamond, after learning the songwriter’s parents lived opposite his junior high school band’s rehearsal space, in Massapequa, New York.

“We could see this yellow Lincoln Continental [in the drive opposite] so we knew Neil was there visiting his parents. So this was a Sunday, I broke a string on my guitar, ‘Where are we going to get a string?’ ‘Oh, Neil’s home!’ His parents lived directly across the street, so I crossed the street and knocked on the door and Neil answers in a bathing suit! I’ll never forget it.

“We were like, ‘Uh, Mr. Diamond, you wouldn’t happen to have a guitar string? We broke a string and we’re having our band practice…’ He goes, ‘Sure I do!’ He goes over to the trunk of his car, opens up his guitar case and gives me a Gibson Sonamatic string. I kept the envelope. I kept it forever.”
That album is almost like a greatest hits album and it was their first.

That album is almost like a greatest hits album and it was their first.
Even though Side 1 has the singles/hits, Side 2 is just as fantastic.

I just hope they play the Dinosaur Jr cover.

😉
Indeed the Cure did play Just Like Heaven, towards the end. Here was the final song just as it was in Seattle last week in this clip.

Boys Don't Cry

At the time when I bought In Step spring of 1990, I would guess my CD collection was no more than 2 or 3 dozen tops. Well into quadruple digits now.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tightrope

I've seen some fine documentary efforts on Jimi Hendrix. I am not sure any do as well as this video for Are You Experienced?

Happy Birthday to Sir Richard Starkey!

Photograph

PBS re-aired it's Stevie Ray Vaughan ACL retrospective. On the opener, it hit me as revered as he is for the guitar work, the guy has an amazing underrated way with words. He could write a great lyric and boom them out vocally.

Pride and Joy

Also quite a fashion statement. Aqua kimono, waist length neck scarf and a rainbow ribbon on his trademark black hat. Baller.

This was the song when I saw Bob Mould cover it back in 1989, within weeks I was a full on Richard Thompson fan. Here is the original with backup help from Elvis Costello.

Shoot Out the Lights

I chatted with an Aussie in Gothenburg Sweden recently about his Radio Birdman shirt. You don't see many of those. Here they are with a 100 proof distillation of Iggy, surf music and Blue Oyster Cult.

I thought it was really cool that Jason Isbell introduced the John Prine retrospective Austin City Limits episode shortly after his passing. Just caught the re-air.

Illegal Smile

been reading about the new Replacements box set. for those who haven't been following the news, there is a new box set featuring a complete remix of the album "Tim."

that album is somewhat notorious for a muddy sound mix. so the original engineer on the album went back to the original tapes and did a total remix. samples are available on the internet and it sounds like a different album.

apparently the producer on the album, Tommy Erdelyi (aka Tommy Ramone) had a different concept of the album and the band was never happy with the result.

article in the Strib including an interview with Tommy Stinson.

been reading about the new Replacements box set. for those who haven't been following the news, there is a new box set featuring a complete remix of the album "Tim."

that album is somewhat notorious for a muddy sound mix. so the original engineer on the album went back to the original tapes and did a total remix. samples are available on the internet and it sounds like a different album.

apparently the producer on the album, Tommy Erdelyi (aka Tommy Ramone) had a different concept of the album and the band was never happy with the result.

article in the Strib including an interview with Tommy Stinson.
I picked it up this week. I am normally not someone who bothers with remastered versions of things but this was well worth the money. It's not just that you hear some things clearer, you hear some entirely new things. For example there is way more piano on Here Comes a Regular than you hear on the original. It's particularly amazing how much better the bass sounds. The live CD is fun too.

Naturally there are good stories in the book that came with it as well. And yes, God Bless Tommy Ramone for taking on a difficult task but he just made everything way too flat.

I picked it up this week. I am normally not someone who bothers with remastered versions of things but this was well worth the money. It's not just that you hear some things clearer, you hear some entirely new things. For example there is way more piano on Here Comes a Regular than you hear on the original. It's particularly amazing how much better the bass sounds. The live CD is fun too.

Naturally there are good stories in the book that came with it as well. And yes, God Bless Tommy Ramone for taking on a difficult task but he just made everything way too flat.
I agree with all of that. 100% better. The outtakes are great as well.

Recent world events prompted me to revisit this tune. Plus it's an opportunity to watch Richard Thompson shred a guitar solo.

Jerusalem on the Jukebox

This was commissioned by the George Harrison Estate as part of the All Things Must Pass reissue a couple of years ago. I'm guessing it didn't take much convincing to get the cadre of celebrities to participate, including a pretty Fab guy from Liverpool.

My Sweet Lord

On Steve Earle's SiriusXM show last week he played this song of his own, which is about a football player. He also remarked how proud he was that his grandkids have taken to wearing jersey No. 29 for their respective baseball & softball teams. Pretty cool.

Top Bottom