OL Cameron James enters portal

Interesting in how many players transfer if they don't see the field in year 1 or 2.
It would be interesting to see a study of some kind that shows how many players transferred and found success or playing time at their new location.

Instant gratification culture we live in now. Guys aren't going to be willing to wait around when they can just freely take off and give it a go somewhere else. Tough to fault them I guess but would be nice to see more guys willing to stick it out and earn their starting spot as opposed to jumping ship because they are stuck behind others on the depth chart.

It would be interesting to see a study of some kind that shows how many players transferred and found success or playing time at their new location.

Instant gratification culture we live in now. Guys aren't going to be willing to wait around when they can just freely take off and give it a go somewhere else. Tough to fault them I guess but would be nice to see more guys willing to stick it out and earn their starting spot as opposed to jumping ship because they are stuck behind others on the depth chart.
Eh....

If you "stick it out" the portal also means some guy just jumps in front of you anyway.

Sticking it out has almost no value now as you have NO CLUE who is on the team next year.

It's not instant gratification, it's any chance guys are looking for.

Eh....

If you "stick it out" the portal also means some guy just jumps in front of you anyway.

Sticking it out has almost no value now as you have NO CLUE who is on the team next year.

That's fair. The year to year roster churn in college football is pretty amazing now. Traditional way of building a roster is a thing of the past.

That's fair. The year to year roster churn in college football is pretty amazing now. Traditional way of building a roster is a thing of the past.
I think this will slow down 3 years from now.
Right now 6 years worth of guys all get 1 free transfer without sittings. But once you transfer you don’t have a free transfer anymore. And 6 year guys won exist anymore by 2026.

In the good old days, you might get bumped on the depth chart by incoming FR.

Now, you can get bumped on the depth chart by incoming FR, grad transfers and portal transfers.

so for a guy who is stuck in the middle, you're getting squeezed from both directions.

you don't have to be a rocket scientist to look at the roster and see what that means for your chances at getting meaningful playing time.

this can be a positive for the program.......IF the coaching staff is bringing in FR and transfers who are better than the players who are leaving.

now, if the coaches are not bringing in better players, then...........................................

Eh....

You just defined “instant gratification”…

Sees Ersery, Lewis, and/or Carroll as starters next year at Tackle.

Wants to play next year.

Good luck to him!
I never read too much into things and try not to guess on people who would leave but this one does not surprise me at all. We recruited a number of OL this year and I've heard people talk about Alvarez and Purcell but never James.

So I would guess it has less to do with his inability to pass the guys on the depth chart but more that he got passed by some younger guys.

Right now 6 years worth of guys all get 1 free transfer without sittings. But once you transfer you don’t have a free transfer anymore. And 6 year guys won exist anymore by 2026.
Might also change once B1G starts paying players

I think this definitely has something to do with it. Think of CrAB, Morgan, Ibrahim, and all the 6th year guys that normally wouldn't have been here this year. Then think of all the playing time they ate up that would have normally gone to the next group of guys. Once the cycle of players that are eligible for the free Covid year have gotten through the system, I think it should get better.

Add in the potential for some kind of restrictions on transferring and/or portal (that I think all coaches would like to see), and the number of transfers will likely go down. Then add in NIL and how some schools were way better out of the gate with it and how they were able to poach players easily. Once schools figure out the NIL thing, the difference between programs should even out a bit. With the free transfer, it will never get as low as it was, but I think we're at the high water mark in regards to transfers.

I think this definitely has something to do with it. Think of CrAB, Morgan, Ibrahim, and all the 6th year guys that normally wouldn't have been here this year. Then think of all the playing time they ate up that would have normally gone to the next group of guys. Once the cycle of players that are eligible for the free Covid year have gotten through the system, I think it should get better.

Add in the potential for some kind of restrictions on transferring and/or portal (that I think all coaches would like to see), and the number of transfers will likely go down. Then add in NIL and how some schools were way better out of the gate with it and how they were able to poach players easily. Once schools figure out the NIL thing, the difference between programs should even out a bit. With the free transfer, it will never get as low as it was, but I think we're at the high water mark in regards to transfers.
Color me skeptical...In my honest opinion, I don't think NIL will ever get figured out.

Color me skeptical...In my honest opinion, I don't think NIL will ever get figured out.
I don't believe NIL will allow any school to close a huge gap that was there without NIL.

The rich programs will have the richest NIL, and thus maintain that large gap they had with less rich programs.

I don't believe NIL will allow any school to close a huge gap that was there without NIL.

The rich programs will have the richest NIL, and thus maintain that large gap they had with less rich programs.

Yet some of the richest NIL schools are having down years, and one of the richest Texas A&M is terrible.

Yet some of the richest NIL schools are having down years, and one of the richest Texas A&M is terrible.
On field records of one year have nothing to do with the gaps I'm talking about. They were and still are largely related to $$$.

Doesn't guarantee you wins.

2020 was the free year so 2025 should be end of it. If year 1 for James was 2021 should technically only have 3 years left.

2020 was the free year so 2025 should be end of it. If year 1 for James was 2021 should technically only have 3 years left.
You could be a freshman 2020
Redshirt 2021
RS fresh 22
RS soph 23
RS Jr 24
RS Sr 25

Anyone who was a freshman or redshirt freshman in 2020 could still be on the roster in 25 without any strange circumstance

With a medical redshirt year you could see some people in 2026 on a rare occasion too

You could be a freshman 2020
Redshirt 2021
RS fresh 22
RS soph 23
RS Jr 24
RS Sr 25

Anyone who was a freshman or redshirt freshman in 2020 could still be on the roster in 25 without any strange circumstance

With a medical redshirt year you could see some people in 2026 on a rare occasion too
Correct. So I took 2nd year that 2021 was first year on campus. If first year for James was 2020 my mistake.

Top Bottom