Oklahoma State to get the hammer

I guess we'll just have to see it unfold.

Agreed. Just sounds like this is more than an isolated incident. ESPN just reported that there were incidents that they know of as recent as 2011. The NCAA needs to lay some wood here. Lack of institutional control only scrapes the surface if these reports are true.

It also makes reference to the fact that if it is recurring recently from earlier years that the NCAA can use that in issuance of punishment.

The NCAA can only use past penalties handed down by the NCAA. Allegations from years prior can't be an official part of their decision making (doesn't mean it can't or won't influence folks though).

Most of this seems to have happened outside the NCAA statute of limitations.

ESPN guy commented that the statutes of limitations doesn't hold in cases of "patterns of abuse" or "disregard of regulations". So the hammer will fall...

Special Report on Oklahoma State Football: Part 2 -- The Academics

Four players and two former assistants told SI that they had teammates who they believed were functionally illiterate even after attending the school for multiple years.

In 2008, Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant was named second-team academic All-Big 12, a salute to players who best combine athletic and scholastic achievement. There is no disputing Bryant's on-field accomplishments as a sophomore -- he was second in the nation with 19 receiving touchdowns -- but several teammates and two former assistant coaches scoffed at the notion that he would be honored for his academics. "You didn't have no choice but to laugh at it," says Victor Johnson, a Cowboys safety from 2008 to '10.

According to Johnson and one of the former assistant coaches, it was well known that Bryant would not go to class unless shepherded, often by a football staff member, and that tutors did a majority of his coursework. "He just wasn't supposed to be there. There's no way he could do the college work," said the former assistant coach. "Once he got there, he was connected with the people that would help him." Calvin Mickens, a cornerback from 2005 to '07, says he also saw tutors do coursework for Bryant.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130911/oklahoma-state-part-2-academics/

Go Gophers!!

Where's the proof? No proof, no sanctions.

The NCAA will do an investigation, but with no supoena power it will uncover very little concrete evidence. Very difficult to proove a cash transaction occured 10 years ago. (In the case of Reggie Bush, they had signed credit card receipts from an agent). All OSU has to do is deny 98% of it, admit to some minor violations and then self impose some scholarship and recruiting reductions. I believe everything in the article will be true about Okie State and probably true of around 90% of all other institutions. But the "hammer" will not fall.
USC

At the risk of sounding cynical........when I read these stories, I always note the names of players who are quoted extensively. My gut tells me those players have an axe to grind with the school or the (former) coach, and are willing to dish some dirt.

Now, that does not mean that the allegations are false. When you have that many players going on the record, there has to be some smoke there - but I'm just saying you have to consider the motivation of people who are willing to take part in this type of expose.

At the risk of sounding cynical........when I read these stories, I always note the names of players who are quoted extensively. My gut tells me those players have an axe to grind with the school or the (former) coach, and are willing to dish some dirt.

Now, that does not mean that the allegations are false. When you have that many players going on the record, there has to be some smoke there - but I'm just saying you have to consider the motivation of people who are willing to take part in this type of expose.

Russ Archambault type?

This article indicates four of them were kicked off the team:

http://kfor.com/2013/09/11/many-questioning-sports-illustrated-dirty-game-authors-credibility/

They'll get penalized. But it may take a while. I bet they will let NCAA do an investigation, and if the NCAA finds any hard evidence. They will self impose a penalty before NCAA imposes one. Something like no post season for a year. And 20 less scholarships in a 5 year period.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

SI's Special Report on Oklahoma State Football: Part 3 -- The Drugs

"Drugs were everywhere," says Donnell Williams, a linebacker on the 2006 team who says he didn't use drugs but observed other players who did. Other players echoed that, saying it was common for some players to smoke weed before games. "[Against] teams we knew we were going to roll, a couple of guys would get high," says Calvin Mickens, a cornerback from 2005 to '07. "Some of the guys [it] didn't matter what game it was, they were going to get high." In the weeks leading up to the 2012 Fiesta Bowl, running back Herschel Sims says that so many of his teammates were smoking marijuana regularly that if the school had suspended those who had the drug in their system, "we probably would have lost about 15-20 people who actually played." (According to the school, 18 of the team's more than 100 players were randomly tested by the NCAA before the game; one tested positive and was suspended.)

Defensive end William Bell told SI that he was a "borderline pothead" when he arrived as a freshman in 2004 and that he quickly learned he was not alone. He saw an opportunity and began bringing marijuana from his hometown of Belton, Texas, to Stillwater, selling blunts for $10 and quarter ounces for $30. "I kept Bennett Hall hot," he says of the dormitory in which he and other athletes lived. Bell says he also brought 3.5 grams of methamphetamine and sold it for $120 a gram to students who were not football players. "It was [the] country boys that really liked that s---," Bell says.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...a-state-part-3-drugs/?sct=hp_t11_a2&eref=sihp

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom