Ok...Once and for all

I gotta disagree on that...

When we were pretty much "Rush Central" we got a lot of press and were constantly mentioned on ESPN & Highlights galore, since we have no identity we've basically been ignored by more national media except last year when we had a huge turnaround that eventually got written off later in the season.......

From my view in the East, the BTN/ESPN+/ABC national TV coverage this year was the best ever in the history of the program.

I'll paste most of this from another thread since this one is relavent. Brew has his positives. His willingness to promote the program 365. His effort to build relationships with the HS's in the state. His recruiting is at least marginally better then anyone since Holtz, though I think it's over-rated by most people on here.

But the negatives simply over-whelm the positives. It's not the wins and losses that are disturbing about Brewster at this point. It's the appearance of getting out-coached virtually every week, rarely sending a team out there that looks well-prepared. It's about never, in 3 years, blowing anyone out, even though there were several times you should have. It's having an offensive stretch of 7 games that's as bad as I've ever seen. It's about constant personal foul penalties and general lack of discipline both on and off the field. It's about players screaming at coaches on the sideline. It's about other players seeming disinterested in what thier teamates are doing. It's about a coaching sideline that generally appears to be in chaos. It's about calling timeout to set up a play and then immediately having to call another one to avoid a delay of game. It's about a constant need to spin everything in a positive manner, even when it has long ceased to be 'refreshing' and now just makes you look like a fool. It's about reaming out your boss in front of your players. It's all of the above and more. The man can't cut it at this job. It's become painfully clear. And Big Ten level colllege football is not somewhere you can be allowed to learn on the job. He will be fired eventually, so it may as well happen now.

From my view in the East, the BTN/ESPN+/ABC national TV coverage this year was the best ever in the history of the program.

ESPN Games - Tulsa (Thursday), Colorado State, Purdue, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan State & Iowa.......

ABC Games - Penn State, Ohio State...

TV Record (not including BTN) - 6-4 (10 games)

ESPN Games - Syracuse, California, Wisconsin, Purdue

ABC Games - Ohio State, Penn State

TV Record (not including BTN) - 2-4 (6 games)

I think Brewster deserves one more year, but my biggest concern with him thus far is I haven't seen the improvements that some on this board are seeing. Despite the fact that there is more talent on both sides of the ball, the talent hasn't translated into on field results. The defense is improved but we aren't getting off the field on third downs and are still giving up way too many yards. With that said, it's scary to think what this season would have been without their improvements. They kept us in most games and are the only reason we won against SDSU.

On the offensive side, we've just had no consistency. Stupid penalties, terrible passes, and no running game have contributed to a total offensive ineptness. I don't know how that gets resolved or what should be done differently.

The last thing I'll say is that it's hard to see each year's surprise team. I keep wondering when it will be the Gopher's turn to be that team. Even smaller than that, there are huge upsets nearly every week in college football, but when is the last time it's been the Gophers pulling the upset? Michigan in 2005? Maybe next year will be that year. All I know is that Brewster needs to show progress next year to keep his job and, most likely, that progress needs to be seen in wins and losses.

Thanks gopher pops, another thing people on this board just don't understand is that you can't play 1st and 2nd yr. kids with 4th and 5th yr. men. On a whole, it won't come out pretty. If Brew. gets his 5 yrs. which he should, I think we will be pleased he didn't get fired. Remember they hung Murray Warmath in a frat. front yard and then he goes to 2 Rose Bowls. Not saying we are going, but Brew.. is building the foundation of a much better program.

Top Bottom