OK I'll say it

this is the biggest stretch ever. I can't even believe you are trying to go with this. Wow.

a coach's success during his tenure is tied to the timing of his hiring? Brewster or any other coach has no chance accroding to your theory no matter if they hang on for another year or 10 years based on when they were hired. simply mind-boggling.

thailleagle is right I just don't see the direct connection.

I'm 100% in this camp. This is just my opinion so let's not pretend that there is any empirical evidence associated with this. This current roster is the closest thing that Brew has to having "his imprint" on this team. Meaning, that most of the players on the roster are his recruits, ex the too short recruiting that he had just after his hiring. If we can't agree that his first class of recruits is not reflective of his recruiting or coaching ability, we will not be able to agree on much regarding anything further. With that being stated, when you look at the current roster, and the number of redshirt freshmen and sophomores that are getting significant playing time alongside the true juniors and I think that this team is too young to fully judge Brew's recruiting and coaching.

By the end of the year, we should have a better understanding of where this team is heading. If it looks like the team, in all facets of the game, is moving forward, I am in the camp that Brew deserves another year. If it appears that the team is stuck in neutral or shows signs of the staff losing control of the team, then I think it's time to move on. As much as I don't want to start over again. And no one will be able to convince me that bringing in the "right coach" is not restarting. It is, and there is turmoil involved with that.

this is the biggest stretch ever. I can't even believe you are trying to go with this. Wow.

a coach's success during his tenure is tied to the timing of his hiring? Brewster or any other coach has no chance accroding to your theory no matter if they hang on for another year or 10 years based on when they were hired. simply mind-boggling.

thailleagle is right I just don't see the direct connection.

I stand by my statement that a late hire in football has an affect on the new coaches ability to keep the previous team together, keep current recruits committed, determine what the team needs for recruits is, finding new commitments to address those needs, and upgrade talent.

What I didn't say, and what you think I said, was that Brewster's hiring date is the main factor for any failings he's had. I was outlining what happened to support my humble opinion that Maturi messed up by firing Mason at a late date, and then taking over 2 weeks to find a replacement.

I stand by my statement that a late hire in football has an affect on the new coaches ability to keep the previous team together, keep current recruits committed, determine what the team needs for recruits is, finding new commitments to address those needs, and upgrade talent.

What I didn't say, and what you think I said, was that Brewster's hiring date is the main factor for any failings he's had. I was outlining what happened to support my humble opinion that Maturi messed up by firing Mason at a late date, and then taking over 2 weeks to find a replacement.

That was then, this is now. He either starts winning or he goes home, it's pretty simple. I hear all these excuses for or against Brewster, it all comes down to winning not how close or how far just winning!

I believe Brew has to be at least .500 to keep his job for next season. Not only that, there has to be a couple of signature wins mixed in with that also. The Gophers need to make a huge statement tomorrow against NI and win the game. He loses tomorrow, in my opinion , he will need at least a 4to5 wins in the big ten to make it another year.

Agreed. I think the next two games(NI & NU) are must wins. After that the schedule gets tougher. Home games against the big boys and winning on the road in the Big Ten is never easy.

I'm 100% in this camp. This is just my opinion so let's not pretend that there is any empirical evidence associated with this. This current roster is the closest thing that Brew has to having "his imprint" on this team. Meaning, that most of the players on the roster are his recruits, ex the too short recruiting that he had just after his hiring. If we can't agree that his first class of recruits is not reflective of his recruiting or coaching ability, we will not be able to agree on much regarding anything further. With that being stated, when you look at the current roster, and the number of redshirt freshmen and sophomores that are getting significant playing time alongside the true juniors and I think that this team is too young to fully judge Brew's recruiting and coaching.

By the end of the year, we should have a better understanding of where this team is heading. If it looks like the team, in all facets of the game, is moving forward, I am in the camp that Brew deserves another year. If it appears that the team is stuck in neutral or shows signs of the staff losing control of the team, then I think it's time to move on. As much as I don't want to start over again. And no one will be able to convince me that bringing in the "right coach" is not restarting. It is, and there is turmoil involved with that.

Well said. I'm in your camp.

That was then, this is now. He either starts winning or he goes home, it's pretty simple. I hear all these excuses for or against Brewster, it all comes down to winning not how close or how far just winning!

The problem with your reasoning is that it excludes the process of building a program. That wins will just materialize out of sheer will.

Wins of course are the goal. It's the time frame that is really at issue. Maturi's viewpoint has always been to build a winning program and the wins will follow. Thus the program isn't going to be judged on wins now, only on how the program is building.

It's a process that isn't fan friendly, but none-the-less is reality. You don't move off of the bottom of the big ten to the top in a consistent manner in such a short time frame. No amount of whining can make it happen.

The problem with your reasoning is that it excludes the process of building a program. That wins will just materialize out of sheer will.

Wins of course are the goal. It's the time frame that is really at issue. Maturi's viewpoint has always been to build a winning program and the wins will follow. Thus the program isn't going to be judged on wins now, only on how the program is building.

It's a process that isn't fan friendly, but none-the-less is reality. You don't move off of the bottom of the big ten to the top in a consistent manner in such a short time frame. No amount of whining can make it happen.

There has to be some significant signs during the building process. When Brewster comes in and on his first week on the job starts talking about taking gopher nation to the Rose Bowl and Big Ten championships, then by year 4 we need to see that this program is heading in that direction, and the way that is judged is by winning, especially against teams such as SD or any team from the Dakotas' for that matter. Giving up 41 points to a middle tier FCS team isn't exactly showing that your heading in the right direction.

If the season ended now, you'd be correct.

Everyone knew we were headed for some serious growing pains with this defense. It was plasted all over the media all summer. Well turns out growing pains looks like something when you actually play a game. And it sucks. Are you really surprised?

Do you really think Maturi cares more about what happened yesterday than what's going to happen tomorrow? He's building towards something. The only thing Maturi cares about is the growth of the underlying program. That's it. Wins will follow.

At the end of the season if it looks like the program has gones as far as it can with Brewster, then he'll make a change. It's a pretty simple concept. If it looks like we're stronger he'll keep moving forward with Brew. Until all the data is in, whining is fruitless.

....It's a process that isn't fan friendly, but none-the-less is reality. You don't move off of the bottom of the big ten to the top in a consistent manner in such a short time frame. No amount of whining can make it happen.

That sums it up well. Keeping that in mind, I think we Gopher fans need to be patient and not so bi-polar with our opinions. There is a tendency to do that in a professional sports city.

Here's my assessment on Coach Brewster:

Good:
1) I like his devotion to football in general. He seems to be totally engaged.
2) He respects traditions.
3) He's a hard worker
4) He's not afraid to do the right thing - even though it may be unpopular

Bad:
1) Our team (both offense & defense) do not have an identity. It makes recruiting difficult because you're always trying to develop good athletes to fit your system. Sometimes it works, but more times than not, it's like fitting a square peg in a round hole.
2) Injuries in practice - I've seen more players out as a result of practice injuries than I've seen in games. They should practice hard, but "keep a lid" on the injurious moves for game day. This is squarely on the coaching staff - they need to maintain control at all times.
3) Bronze medal in the Fulmer Cup
4) I have yet to see a team under Brewster totally dominate an opponent. They're always in it in the 4th quarter. Sometime, I'd like to see us run all over an opponent. I haven't seen a beatdown in many years.
5) The loss to South Dakota - you can say anything ypu want, the bottom line is we were not prepared for that game. From top to bottom, we were better than they were, but the players and worse yet, the coaches looked past a cupcake.

I guess I could go on and on. I was and to a certain extent still am a Brewster Backer. The thing is, I don't think he is the coach to take us any further than we are now. We've plateaued at this mediocre level.

Good analysis. He's a guy I'd like to see succeed, but he's got to show the program has turned a corner this year. I don't think the record is so important as some this year, but there can be no doubt at the end of the year that the on field play is improved and looks poised for a great year next.

complete agreement with this.

There has to be some significant signs during the building process. When Brewster comes in and on his first week on the job starts talking about taking gopher nation to the Rose Bowl and Big Ten championships, then by year 4 we need to see that this program is heading in that direction, and the way that is judged is by winning, especially against teams such as SD or any team from the Dakotas' for that matter. Giving up 41 points to a middle tier FCS team isn't exactly showing that your heading in the right direction.

this is my same take on the situation. I am not one that was Brewster needs to be fired right after the SD game or fired for even losing the game. it was how the game was lost that for me is an indication things are not and have not progressed in year 4. I agree this season needs to play out. however, I know some think even getting to 4 wins is enough and I have even read 3-9 is enough to keep Brewster around 1 more year.

IMO Brewster is not the right guy based on what we have seen so far regardless of wins and losses. I just don't see any significant building process that many others claim there is.

Brew is not a good gameday coach, period. In every game he makes mental mistakes/judgements that should not be made. For example, vs. S. Dakota, he went for it on 4th and 2 rather than going for the FG and getting the ball back to take the lead with a TD. Every coach in every league would take the FG 98% of the time, the other 2% are coaches in desperation, much like Brew (or they are 5 yr olds playing college football on Playstation 3).

Bring in Frank Solich!

For example, vs. S. Dakota, he went for it on 4th and 2 rather than going for the FG and getting the ball back to take the lead with a TD. Every coach in every league would take the FG 98% of the time, the other 2% are coaches in desperation, much like Brew (or they are 5 yr olds playing college football on Playstation 3).

Bring in Frank Solich!

4th & 2, against a big wind from the 26.

The odds of Ellestad making that FG? <5%

Every coach in that situation would have gone for it. It's the play call that the argument is about.

I wasn't giving any excuses, just the facts. And I agree Brewster has to start winning. Heading into this year, I felt that Brew needed to have a good recruiting class that included a few difference makers. If Brew can have a respectful season and a nice recruiting class, I'll welcome a fifth year for him.

4th & 2, against a big wind from the 26.

The odds of Ellestad making that FG? <5%

Every coach in that situation would have gone for it. It's the play call that the argument is about.

Recruit a better kicker.

Ball was on the 24, that's a 41 yd FG, wind was 10-15 mph. Way more makeable that 5%. If your kicker can't do that, you will lose a lot of games. I say Ellestad has a better chance than running a toss play. So you are way off by saying most coaches would go for it. Way to big of a gamble for the possible reward.

I think Brew just wanted to here ---- "that's another golden gopher 1st down"

I think there is a wind tunnel effect at TCF, there sure were alot of allowances made for the wind considering only a 10-15 mph wind. The team with the wind at their backs seemed to go awfully long, and then short the other way around.

That could be a side effect of a game being played by a former DII school and a team playing like a DII school.

Wasn't that play into the closed end of the stadium? That would have been downwind. I just think that Ellestad's confidence was shot, and there was no reason for him to have his dobber further down by missing another one from a distance where he has been having trouble.

Going for it -> Correct decision
Play that was called -> bad decision

I think there is a wind tunnel effect at TCF, there sure were alot of allowances made for the wind considering only a 10-15 mph wind. The team with the wind at their backs seemed to go awfully long, and then short the other way around.

Come on Brewster...I mean Schnoodler that is just an excuse:)

Wasn't that play into the closed end of the stadium? That would have been downwind. I just think that Ellestad's confidence was shot, and there was no reason for him to have his dobber further down by missing another one from a distance where he has been having trouble.

Going for it -> Correct decision
Play that was called -> bad decision

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. But I remember it the other way around.

On second thought I'm thinking of the one he missed. So i don't know for sure.

I could be remembering wrongly too. I know that the wind was smoking in pretty good from the open end. That's why the fateful kickoff was kicked so low, he was trying to beat it through the wind and get it deep. Would have been better to flair one up in the wind and hope for a fair catch at the 35.

A U shaped stadium creates a swirling effect. If the wind is coming in the open end at a slight angle it could be blowing west to east on one side of the stadium and east to west on the other. There are times the flags on the goal posts could be blowing in diff. directions. Not unusual in a stadium. It effects punting as to which hash your on and can affect FG's

Top Bottom