OK I'll say it

Rog

Reaction score
I have for some time been keeping my thoughts on this coaching situation to myself but here goes.

Normally, when a division one team finds it necessay to hire a coach, they find a head coach at a lower level school or a coach that has had a good record but for whatever reason is now out of a job. He also has a staff who he has used and brings them with him (at least to a large degree) Sometimes a coordinator is promoted from the same school (ie Wisc) and most of the staff stays.

We for whatever reason we did neither. We hired one who had never been a head coach and did not have a "built in" staff to bring.

What has happened in the 3 years? We now have an experienced coach who has learned on the job, established a staff that has learned to work together and a coach who is an above average recruiter.

Based on that could we now hire new coach who would have a better resume'. I doubt it.

But, as in any new hire and I compare Brewster at this point in
time to a new hire, we don't know for sure the future outcome.

I beleive with these thoughts in mind we will see great things in the next few years if we will only have patience and throw our support behind Brewster and his staff, rather then starting the cycle all over again.

nuff said

On what do you base these conclusions:

"above average recruiter" - class quality has been declining each year by most objective measures, and we have yet to see a 'Brewster star'. Given the start to this year, and the fact that Brewster is on the hot seat, I expect recruiting to be VERY tough this year.

"established a staff that has learned to work together" - huh? It's been coordinator revolving door. This is simply a preposterous conclusion. If anything the data indicates Brewster has been UNABLE to develop and maintain a consistent coaching staff.

"experienced coach" - three years isn't exactly what I call 'experienced'. It's simply MORE experienced than zero.

It's absolutely mind-boggling how two people can look at the same facts and reach such polar opposite conclusions.

The way we lost to USD is pretty solid evidence that Brewster doesn't know what the heck he's doing. If we lose tomorrow that's the end of Brewster. He'll have dug too deep a hole to get out of it during conference play. He'd have to both Iowa, Wisconsin and Ohio St to save his butt. Otherwise, it's all too little too late. Why not move on and get someone in who has some idea about how to coach a football.

I have for some time been keeping my thoughts on this coaching situation to myself but here goes.

Normally, when a division one team finds it necessay to hire a coach, they find a head coach at a lower level school or a coach that has had a good record but for whatever reason is now out of a job. He also has a staff who he has used and brings them with him (at least to a large degree) Sometimes a coordinator is promoted from the same school (ie Wisc) and most of the staff stays.

We for whatever reason we did neither. We hired one who had never been a head coach and did not have a "built in" staff to bring.

What has happened in the 3 years? We now have an experienced coach who has learned on the job, established a staff that has learned to work together and a coach who is an above average recruiter.

Based on that could we now hire new coach who would have a better resume'. I doubt it.

But, as in any new hire and I compare Brewster at this point in
time to a new hire, we don't know for sure the future outcome.

I beleive with these thoughts in mind we will see great things in the next few years if we will only have patience and throw our support behind Brewster and his staff, rather then starting the cycle all over again.

nuff said

C'mon man, that's not what you really think

On what do you base these conclusions:

"above average recruiter" - class quality has been declining each year by most objective measures, and we have yet to see a 'Brewster star'. Given the start to this year, and the fact that Brewster is on the hot seat, I expect recruiting to be VERY tough this year.

"established a staff that has learned to work together" - huh? It's been coordinator revolving door. This is simply a preposterous conclusion. If anything the data indicates Brewster has been UNABLE to develop and maintain a consistent coaching staff.

"experienced coach" - three years isn't exactly what I call 'experienced'. It's simply MORE experienced than zero.

It's absolutely mind-boggling how two people can look at the same facts and reach such polar opposite conclusions.

Exactly. Brew was hired mainly on his ability to recruit and be a rah rah guy but at this point he has not shown his ability to recruit.

I tried to make a similar case in another thread. If you celieve that Brewsters major mistakes that set this program back (in my opinion these are the lack of an offensive identity specifically and staff turnover in general) were more a function of learning on the job than inability, then I think there is still plenty of reason to believe that Brewster can be the guy here. I believe this, although I admit it is harder for me these days. I believe that we have a better chance of long term success keeping Brewster than we would if we hit the coaching market barring a few choice exceptions.

The team in his fourth season should be better than the team in his second season. He's 7-14 in his last 21. They aren't improving.

We've been in really big trouble since about 1967. So this is news?

It's news if he thinks we can't hire a coach with a better resume than Brewster had in January 2007. That statement is absolutely false.

It's news if he thinks we can't hire a coach with a better resume than Brewster had in January 2007. That statement is absolutely false.

That's not what he's saying. He is saying that we would not be able to hire a coach with a better resume than Brew's resume today, not 2007.

That's not what he's saying. He is saying that we would not be able to hire a coach with a better resume than Brew's resume today, not 2007.

Still 100% false, even tacking on Brew's accomplishments here to his resume.

The timing of Brewster's hiring made it much harder for him to be successful here. Mason was fired on December 31, 2006 and Brewster was hired on January 16th, 2007 and National signing day was on February 7th.

It took Joel Maturi 17 days to find a coaching replacement during the hottest recruiting time of the year. He also hired Brewster only 21 days before National signing day. In those 3 weeks he had to move to Minneapolis, begin hiring a staff, identify recruiting needs and contact recruits. And he had to that almost all by himself. He had to make quick decisions, delegate responsibilities as staff came on board, and even help his son decide where to go to school.

Glen Mason didn't have a stellar class coming in and his best recruit, Greg Jones, changed to Michigan State before Brewster was hired.

No wonder the 2007 recruiting class ended up being thin.

I realize it's very difficult to incorporate this history within the current discussion, but it did have a huge impact on Brewster's chances to succeed. It's clear that Maturi wasn't prepared to fire Glen Mason when he did. In fact, firing Mason was most likely not even on Maturi's mind when he went down for the bowl game. But the arrogance Mason displayed with the fans, and the way the team lost, he must have felt there wasn't any other choice.

If Maturi fires Brewster this year, he should do it the day after the regular season ends, and he should have a short list of candidates ready to go so he can name a new coach within a week after the season ends. There is no way that I'll be happy if Maturi puts a new coach in the same situation as he did for Brewster.

Agreed, when Brewster was hired there were candidates with better resumes that were interested and that Maturi passed over. Coaches such as Charlie Strong and Bo Pelini. I would expect that the same would be true this time around, especially since there is a new stadium to showcase versus a drawing last time around.

Still 100% false, even tacking on Brew's accomplishments here to his resume.

I was only trying to make sure the original statement was understood. I was not saying that I was picking a horse in this race.

I was only trying to make sure the original statement was understood. I was not saying that I was picking a horse in this race.

I figured that was the case. Sorry if you thought my reply was directed toward you.

Nicely put

I tried to make a similar case in another thread. If you celieve that Brewsters major mistakes that set this program back (in my opinion these are the lack of an offensive identity specifically and staff turnover in general) were more a function of learning on the job than inability, then I think there is still plenty of reason to believe that Brewster can be the guy here. I believe this, although I admit it is harder for me these days. I believe that we have a better chance of long term success keeping Brewster than we would if we hit the coaching market barring a few choice exceptions.

This is precisely how I feel, I have no problem saying that. Well said.

With that being said, if I see certain things between now and the end of the season, I would have no problem voicing my desire for a change. Simple as that.

I guess I just think calling for his head right now is an exercise in futility. I have no clue what these people are trying to accomplish. There will not be a change in the middle of the season, it's just not going to happen. People are acting as if a decision has to be made today. Huh?

There's been turnover in coordinators and that's killed the current regime. There's not a doubt in my mind that if Horton, Cosgrove and Lee were hired in Year One with Brewster we wouldn't even be close to having this discussion.

Nine games left this year. Nine games to evaluate if the ship is headed in the right direction. How much is that to ask? You might as well cheer for these guys for two more months because whining and moaning isn't going to do you any good...

The timing of Brewster's hiring made it much harder for him to be successful here. Mason was fired on December 31, 2006 and Brewster was hired on January 16th, 2007 and National signing day was on February 7th.

It took Joel Maturi 17 days to find a coaching replacement during the hottest recruiting time of the year. He also hired Brewster only 21 days before National signing day. In those 3 weeks he had to move to Minneapolis, begin hiring a staff, identify recruiting needs and contact recruits. And he had to that almost all by himself. He had to make quick decisions, delegate responsibilities as staff came on board, and even help his son decide where to go to school.

Glen Mason didn't have a stellar class coming in and his best recruit, Greg Jones, changed to Michigan State before Brewster was hired.

No wonder the 2007 recruiting class ended up being thin.

I realize it's very difficult to incorporate this history within the current discussion, but it did have a huge impact on Brewster's chances to succeed. It's clear that Maturi wasn't prepared to fire Glen Mason when he did. In fact, firing Mason was most likely not even on Maturi's mind when he went down for the bowl game. But the arrogance Mason displayed with the fans, and the way the team lost, he must have felt there wasn't any other choice.

If Maturi fires Brewster this year, he should do it the day after the regular season ends, and he should have a short list of candidates ready to go so he can name a new coach within a week after the season ends. There is no way that I'll be happy if Maturi puts a new coach in the same situation as he did for Brewster.

so what you are saying is that timing of when he was hired in 2007 also affected his chances of being successful in 2008, 2009 and 2010.

that is one I have not heard before.

so what you are saying is that timing of when he was hired in 2007 also affected his chances of being successful in 2008, 2009 and 2010.

Yes, firing Mason on December 31st, 2006 has a lot to do with why we lost to South Dakota on September 11th, 2010...

If you can't see the direct connection I don't know what to tell you...

I agree with the original post. And I think that is what Maturi has been saying. Brewster will be fired or retained on where he thinks the team will be next year with him.

The real problem is that it's difficult to sell a program in the fourth and fifth year if you don't have results. This recruiting class will be a real indicator of Maturi's decision. If it's poor without good on field results Maturi may have to pull the plug. But if Brew can close out this class as it's started and they look solidly improved on the field i don't see a change coming for the reasons the OP stated.

I have watched the recruits and watched practice for the last 3 yrs. and the caliber if athlete coming here is improved a whole lot, I watch the speed technique and size of these kids and marvel. (O-line still it toooo FAT) There has to be something else going on here, and I don't know what, but the caliber of athlete wee have is very comparable to other GOOD teams. I don't know if they don't have heart or what, but how they can compete with SC for 2+ qtrs, then basically quit and get beat by USD is truly befuddling. Coaching ???? If you have good motivated kids and they don't perform I guess it must be the coaching. But look at what Coach Davis has done with the line, they have made alot of progress, but the secondary still seems lost after 3 yrs. Even at the bowlgame they had exp.and were confused or not that good. They hardly ever watch the QB and break on the ball and are always playing catch up, that is coaching, or scheme.?????????????????Searching. Also remember the head coach doesn't do much coaching, he coordinates and puts in his scheme, the assistants do the teaching and coaching.

I agree with the original post. And I think that is what Maturi has been saying. Brewster will be fired or retained on where he thinks the team will be next year with him.

The real problem is that it's difficult to sell a program in the fourth and fifth year if you don't have results. This recruiting class will be a real indicator of Maturi's decision. If it's poor without good on field results Maturi may have to pull the plug. But if Brew can close out this class as it's started and they look solidly improved on the field i don't see a change coming for the reasons the OP stated.

I believe Brew has to be at least .500 to keep his job for next season. Not only that, there has to be a couple of signature wins mixed in with that also. The Gophers need to make a huge statement tomorrow against NI and win the game. He loses tomorrow, in my opinion , he will need at least a 4to5 wins in the big ten to make it another year.

I have watched the recruits and watched practice for the last 3 yrs. and the caliber if athlete coming here is improved a whole lot, I watch the speed technique and size of these kids and marvel. (O-line still it toooo FAT) There has to be something else going on here, and I don't know what, but the caliber of athlete wee have is very comparable to other GOOD teams. I don't know if they don't have heart or what, but how they can compete with SC for 2+ qtrs, then basically quit and get beat by USD is truly befuddling. Coaching ???? If you have good motivated kids and they don't perform I guess it must be the coaching. But look at what Coach Davis has done with the line, they have made alot of progress, but the secondary still seems lost after 3 yrs. Even at the bowlgame they had exp.and were confused or not that good. They hardly ever watch the QB and break on the ball and are always playing catch up, that is coaching, or scheme.?????????????????Searching. Also remember the head coach doesn't do much coaching, he coordinates and puts in his scheme, the assistants do the teaching and coaching.

I agree with a lot of this post. The reason that Davis has done a lot with the line is that they are probably the most experienced unit on the squad, conversely, the D backfield is the greenest. I really want to see if Brew is the right guy, and I think it will take through next year to find that out.

Absolutely, although less so for each consecutive year. Brewster wasn't given much of a chance to retain committed recruits or to fully evaluate the team and target his own recruits.

More to the point is that I'm hoping Maturi will not make the same mistake again.

Yes, firing Mason on December 31st, 2006 has a lot to do with why we lost to South Dakota on September 11th, 2010...

If you can't see the direct connection I don't know what to tell you...

Love the wit, but we should never have lost to SD, no matter what.

Absolutely, although less so for each consecutive year. Brewster wasn't given much of a chance to retain committed recruits or to fully evaluate the team and target his own recruits.

this is the biggest stretch ever. I can't even believe you are trying to go with this. Wow.

a coach's success during his tenure is tied to the timing of his hiring? Brewster or any other coach has no chance accroding to your theory no matter if they hang on for another year or 10 years based on when they were hired. simply mind-boggling.

thailleagle is right I just don't see the direct connection.

Top Bottom