OK I'll say it

I could be remembering wrongly too. I know that the wind was smoking in pretty good from the open end. That's why the fateful kickoff was kicked so low, he was trying to beat it through the wind and get it deep. Would have been better to flair one up in the wind and hope for a fair catch at the 35.

This is one of the most under-utilized kick today. Not many KO's more effective than the high, short kick pinned against the sideline. You get the ball in the hands of somebody who's not a returner, the return team is not positioned for a return with the ball that area, and the coverage team has a lot less area to defend.

Better yet, I like KO from the far left hash mark across the field, high and short, pinning against the far sideline. Then you have even more coverage defenders over there. Also, when you set up the KO on one hash, the return team generally calls for a return on THAT side as well (they're assuming the kicker will kick it straight and deep); then you get the guy fielding the ball on the other side of the field with virtually no blockers.

Top Bottom