Ohio State Shuts Down Workouts Due To COVID

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Press release just went out.

Story forthcoming

Ohio State has put voluntary workouts on hold due to positive COVID-19 tests.

Voluntary workouts for the football, men's and women's basketball, field hockey, men's and women's soccer and women's volleyball have been shut down indefinitely, according to a statement released by the university on Wednesday.
Ohio State has not released the number of athletes who tested positive for COVID-19, choosing not to share that information publicly “as it could lead to the identification of specific individuals and compromise their medical privacy.”
Per Ohio State's statement on Wednesday, any athlete who tests positive for COVID-19 “will self-isolate for at least 14 days and receive daily check-ups from the Department of Athletics medical staff. Student-athletes living alone will isolate in their residence. If they have roommates, they will self-isolate in a designated room on campus.”

Blip, bump, or Bull doze with this issue?

Floodgates are opening.

Big pause button on school/fall sports being pressed. My gut feeling, nothing more. Hope I’m wrong.

There is still time, but at this point pretty much all that will happen is that deaths will start going up, or not. Don’t think we can get cases under control.

Too much risk, too much unknown at this moment. Will this surge in cases translate into a surge in deaths, or not???

Floodgates are opening.

Big pause button on school/fall sports being pressed. My gut feeling, nothing more. Hope I’m wrong.

There is still time, but at this point pretty much all that will happen is that deaths will start going up, or not. Don’t think we can get cases under control.

Too much risk, too much unknown at this moment. Will this surge in cases translate into a surge in deaths, or not???

So far, there’s no evidence that we’ll see a surge in deaths. It’s been over 3 weeks since the number of cases per day started climbing. We’re not out of the woods yet, but this is not going to be anything like March/April.

Random thought/question for high school:

if things look like they’re going towards online only class and no fall sports, can seniors to be simply “opt out” of school this year? Or even just the fall semester? Why should they have to sacrifice their senior year/season?

Would schools and/or state activities associations try to disallow this??

So far, there’s no evidence that we’ll see a surge in deaths. It’s been over 3 weeks since the number of cases per day started climbing. We’re not out of the woods yet, but this is not going to be anything like March/April.
Hope you’re right!!

Experts seem to be in the camp of thinking it won’t be correct.

Hope you’re right!!

Experts seem to be in the camp of thinking it won’t be correct.

We should be seeing the surge any day then.

For about a week, I’ve been thinking the chances of any type of season are slim.

But...but I thought the warmer temperatures in April were supposed to eliminate the virus, and we should have started spring practice immediately, and this whole virus is a hoax or a conspiracy. :rolleyes:

So death is the decision point?

I don’t know. I don’t get to decide. I was responding to MplsGopher, who mentioned it. Was this question meant for him?
No it was for you, thanks for answering...sounded like deaths would be the decision point for you on playing.

No it was for you, thanks for answering...sounded like deaths would be the decision point for you on playing.

OK, so I’ll assume you didn’t read the comment I was responding to.

Having said that, I’m sure the relative number of deaths will be one of many factors they will consider. It’s kind of a big one.

Part of the surge in cases comes from the CDC grouping in positive antibody tests in with positive active COVID tests... this is also the art of the reason why deaths are not correlating with the increased cases... I certainly hope decision makers understand this since it seems like not many in the general public are aware...

Random thought/question for high school:

if things look like they’re going towards online only class and no fall sports, can seniors to be simply “opt out” of school this year? Or even just the fall semester? Why should they have to sacrifice their senior year/season?

Would schools and/or state activities associations try to disallow this??
I think there will be a larger amount of out of state transfers to Iowa and the Dakota’s than as is typical.

they can’t opt out of senior year unless they’ve already achieved enough credits to graduate. Because the required credits For graduation hasn’t changed per state law

But...but I thought the warmer temperatures in April were supposed to eliminate the virus, and we should have started spring practice immediately, and this whole virus is a hoax or a conspiracy. :rolleyes:
Warm temps don't eliminate the virus and it was never claimed to be such. It inactivates it, the virus was going to be around. What it is likely doing is making it harder to catch or infections are closer to MID. This a good thing, but it won't last. That said I have a hard time with all this hype over a 0.26 mortality rate.

Hope you’re right!!

Everyone the Media can put in front of a camera to sensationalize this seem to be in the camp of thinking it won’t be correct.

FIFY

It's just not news to talk about this being on the decline, it's either an apocalypse, or it's not newsworthy.

There are experts refuting this. There is evidence in death and hospitalization rates refuting this in Minnesota, nationally and in many countries around the world. Even Walz hesitating on pushing for state wide mask wearing should give you some indication that the worst of the sky is falling crowd is starting to believe we are heading out of this.

Warm temps don't eliminate the virus and it was never claimed to be such. It inactivates it, the virus was going to be around. What it is likely doing is making it harder to catch or infections are closer to MID. This a good thing, but it won't last. That said I have a hard time with all this hype over a 0.26 mortality rate.

If you don't have a hard time with hospitals running out of ICU beds then you have never had a loved one in an ICU, or spent time in one yourself. How many times does it need to be proven to people like you that Covid-19 isn't the same as the fucking flu?

Hospitals in Florida, Texas and Arizona Are Almost at Capacity as Coronavirus Cases Surge

Five hospitals in the St. Petersburg Fl area were out of intensive care unit beds, officials said. Miami’s Baptist Hospital had only four of its 88 ICU beds available. “If we continue to increase at the pace we have been, we won’t have enough ventilators, enough rooms,” said Dr. David De La Zerda, ICU medical director and pulmonologist at Miami’s Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Officials in Texas also reported hospitals are in danger of being overwhelmed. Hospitalizations statewide surged past 8,000 for the first time over the weekend, a more than fourfold increase in the past month. Houston officials said intensive care units there have exceeded capacity. Along the border with Mexico, two severely ill patients were flown hundreds of miles north to Dallas and San Antonio because hospitals in the Rio Grande Valley were full.

In Arizona, the number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 topped 3,200, a new high, and hospitals statewide were at 89% capacity. Confirmed cases surpassed 100,000, and more than half of those infected, or over 62,000, are under 44 years old, state health officials said.

Health officials in South Carolina reported over 1,500 new cases Monday. If the numbers keep rising at their current rates, hospitals will probably have to adopt an emergency plan to add 3,000 more beds in places such as hotels and gyms, authorities said.

Alabama has been averaging about 1,000 new cases a day, two or three times what it was seeing in late April, when its stay-at-home order was lifted. “We set a record for highs over the holiday weekend, and, of course, given the number of people who were out and about over the weekend celebrating, we are certainly concerned about what the next couple of weeks are going to look like as well,” said Scott Harris, Alabama’s health office

In West Virginia, Republican Gov. Jim Justice reversed course and ordered the wearing of face masks indoors, joining other state leaders around the country. “I’m telling you, West Virginia, if we don’t do that and do this now, we’re going to be in a world of hurt,” he said, adding: “It’s not much of an inconvenience.”

https://time.com/5863564/hospitals-capacity-coronavirus-surge/

Last edited:

Part of the surge in cases comes from the CDC grouping in positive antibody tests in with positive active COVID tests... this is also the art of the reason why deaths are not correlating with the increased cases... I certainly hope decision makers understand this since it seems like not many in the general public are aware...
I would be surprised if this is entirely correct. Haven't seen this reported anywhere, so how did you come to know it?

I think there will be a larger amount of out of state transfers to Iowa and the Dakota’s than as is typical.

they can’t opt out of senior year unless they’ve already achieved enough credits to graduate. Because the required credits For graduation hasn’t changed per state law
Poor word choice by me. I didn't mean forgo their senior year entirely, though that's probably what "opt out" means to most people. Sorry.

What I meant was basically to take the 2020-21 school year off. Then resume their senior year, including their last year of football eligibility, in the fall of 2021.

Can that be a thing?

FIFY

It's just not news to talk about this being on the decline, it's either an apocalypse, or it's not newsworthy.

There are experts refuting this. There is evidence in death and hospitalization rates refuting this in Minnesota, nationally and in many countries around the world. Even Walz hesitating on pushing for state wide mask wearing should give you some indication that the worst of the sky is falling crowd is starting to believe we are heading out of this.
Can you share some links to experts who have said that the surge in cases will likely not result in a surge in deaths, in the coming weeks? Ideally, this quote/interview should've happened sometime this week.

No. The air temperature of our environment itself has little to no direct effect.

The reason air temp has any correlation at all is simply related to how it allows people to be outside. The more people can be outside, in the moving air, the lower the chances are for transmission. The more people are indoors, with relatively still air, the higher the chances.

And that works both ways. When it was cold in the early Spring, northern climates suffered more because people were inside. Now in the very hot, it also pushes people indoors.

Can you share some links to experts who have said that the surge in cases will likely not result in a surge in deaths, in the coming weeks? Ideally, this quote/interview should've happened sometime this week.

June 24th transcript of podcast for Dr. Osterholm noting that in renconciling increasing cases and decreasing deaths lag time may play a role but given continued downward trend since April he isn't convinced how much that plays.

Data is current and up to date to today on CDC website and World Meter, keep hearing about the coming surge in deaths, it keeps not showing up.

1594303936476.png

No. The air temperature of our environment itself has little to no direct effect.

The reason air temp has any correlation at all is simply related to how it allows people to be outside. The more people can be outside, in the moving air, the lower the chances are for transmission. The more people are indoors, with relatively still air, the higher the chances.

And that works both ways. When it was cold in the early Spring, northern climates suffered more because people were inside. Now in the very hot, it also pushes people indoors.
Nope. The virus becomes inactive in higher temperatures. That is a fact.

June 24th transcript of podcast for Dr. Osterholm noting that in renconciling increasing cases and decreasing deaths lag time may play a role but given continued downward trend since April he isn't convinced how much that plays.

Data is current and up to date to today on CDC website and World Meter, keep hearing about the coming surge in deaths, it keeps not showing up.

View attachment 8680
June 24. That was before the very recent surge started to go off the rails, I believe. Regardless, thanks for sharing.

His response you highlighted seems to be less of a definitive stance and more of a "let's wait and see", still.

That's the same as where I am. I hope you are correct, and the surge in deaths never comes.

Nope. The virus becomes inactive in higher temperatures. That is a fact.
Not correct, at all, for the range of temperatures in our environment.

If you're talking like hundreds of degrees Celsius. then sure.

Or you're using your own, absurd definition of "inactive". That wouldn't surprise me either.

I would be surprised if this is entirely correct. Haven't seen this reported anywhere, so how did you come to know it?

Not correct, at all, for the range of temperatures in our environment.

If you're talking like hundreds of degrees Celsius. then sure.

Or you're using your own, absurd definition of "inactive". That wouldn't surprise me either.
Nope. The virus becomes inactive in higher temperatures.

Relevant source text:

The CDC stopped publishing anything resembling a complete database of daily test results on February 29. When it resumed publishing test data last week, a page of its website explaining its new COVID Data Tracker said that only viral tests were included in its figures. “These data represent only viral tests. Antibody tests are not currently captured in these data,” the page said as recently as May 18.

Yesterday, that language was changed. All reference to disaggregating the two different types of tests disappeared. “These data are compiled from a number of sources,” the new version read. The text strongly implied that both types of tests were included in the count, but did not explicitly say so.

Top Bottom