Ohio State Rematch

I didn't go to the state fair last year -- but I don't recall it being in the display cases in previous years.
The Chair has become more of an online fundraiser trophy than an actual physical trophy. That said, I would be all for letting some engineering student use the parts from the Victory Bell to make the Chair so that we could have another trophy game that people actually gave a crap about as opposed to the Bell which neither team cares about one bit.

The Chair has become more of an online fundraiser trophy than an actual physical trophy. That said, I would be all for letting some engineering student use the parts from the Victory Bell to make the Chair so that we could have another trophy game that people actually gave a crap about as opposed to the Bell which neither team cares about one bit.
I've said it before and I don't want to beat a horse -- but let's get a legitimate bell vs what we have now. Also -- the last two games between the teams have been barn burners. I could see the "rivalry" taking form if we get paired with him next for the 6 year rotation (assuming the structure of league play is similar then)

I've said it before and I don't want to beat a horse -- but let's get a legitimate bell vs what we have now. Also -- the last two games between the teams have been barn burners. I could see the "rivalry" taking form if we get paired with him next for the 6 year rotation (assuming the structure of league play is similar then)
We have had a lot of fun games with Penn State through the years. I just don't think we need a trophy associated with it. Trophy games are fun when they have a cool story or history behind them. The fact that we were Penn State's first Big Ten opponent is not a good reason to have a traveling trophy. Pretty sure they don't have one for Nebraska, Maryland and Rutger's first Big Ten opponents from after they joined the conference.

We have 3 of the coolest traveling trophies in all of college football and then we have the Bell. The chair actually has a really fun backstory behind it and could be turned into something cool if both schools got behind it.

Guess I still don't follow what the OC has to do with it. Obviously it is crazy for any fan to take anything for granted given how inconsistent we have been this year. But there is still zero harm in fans looking ahead and having fun with predictions and scenarios.

Anyone looking at flights and hotels in Indy is nuts but the rest is harmless.
On most football teams the players dictate their performance. That is not as true when game plan and play calling limit the talent. Sanford has shown signs of improvement but still don't fully trust him.

Melt the bell and pour it over the chair.
Problem solved.

Use some chili left over from a Wisconsin game to melt it.

Let's get by Maryland, then the East sets up for a shakeout, with OSU/PSU AND MSU/Michigan. We can't underestimate Northwestern they annually seem to win one game the shouldn't even during sub par years.

Melt the bell and pour it over the chair.
Problem solved.

Use some chili left over from a Wisconsin game to melt it.
You are of course assuming there is some metal in the Bell. It is one of the more cheaply made trophies I have seen. I wish they would just retire it, makes no sense to keep playing for it every year when literally nobody cares about it on either side.

You are of course assuming there is some metal in the Bell. It is one of the more cheaply made trophies I have seen. I wish they would just retire it, makes no sense to keep playing for it every year when literally nobody cares about it on either side.
You mean playing for it whenever the magic B1G eight scheduling ball says so.

We have the Chair too. What happens to the $5 Bits of Broken Chair trophy between games?
I believe that it is (or will be) on display at the Masonic Children's Hospital. They have a display case for it.

Yes the TEAM needs this focus, but FANS do not. FANS speculating on the future does not affect the performance of the TEAM.
However, when fans pencil in wins before the games are played…sometimes those penciled in wins are erased and become losses. Then, those fans moan, wail, gnash teeth and want to fire coaches, assistant coaches and take out all their feelings of being entitled to those now erased wins that they were EXPECTING.
Then: they get really reactive and kind of crazy…. Then they blame the quarterback.

This feels like the stock market of today. We were hopeless 3 weeks ago, now a couple upticks and everything is headed for the moon on a runaway rocket.

If the Gophers can win a meaningful title in football (even just the division) for the first time in my life then it will be time to play one of 4 teams that have a good shot at it in the East.
Cup and handle!

However, when fans pencil in wins before the games are played…sometimes those penciled in wins are erased and become losses. Then, those fans moan, wail, gnash teeth and want to fire coaches, assistant coaches and take out all their feelings of being entitled to those now erased wins that they were EXPECTING.
Then: they get really reactive and kind of crazy…. Then they blame the quarterback.
Sounds like a personal problem.

Agree. Respect each opponent. Acknowledge and scheme against its strengths. Take nothing for granted. Best way to lose is to look past an opponent. We experienced the archetypal example of this problem once already this season. Iowa experienced it last weekend. Let’s just beat Maryland.

Let's forget about Bowling Green, Purdue, and Nebraska.

With the Gophers' six remaining Big Ten games left, the Gophers have to put blinders on and focus one game at a time. They have to earn the title by winning outright or, have the right kind of combination of wins and losses by MN, Iowa, Purdue, and Wiscy.

Let's see how we do against Maryland first. The Gophers cannot take anyone for granted.

Agree. Respect each opponent. Acknowledge and scheme against its strengths. Take nothing for granted. Best way to lose is to look past an opponent. We experienced the archetypal example of this problem once already this season. Iowa experienced it last weekend. Let’s just beat Maryland.
I don't think Iowa looked past Purdue. Ferentz has seen far too much football in his life to ever buy the idea he had the second best team in the country.

As a fan, I like to keep my focus on the next opponent knowing that if I overlook them, we just might lose.
Exactly. Bowling Green reminder, anyone? Let's go 1-0 vs. Maryland this week, and then go from there.

It comes down to MN at Iowa and the winner having the inside track. Beating Iowa would put MN in line to have the WI game be meaningless for the division.
You and @GoldenRodents are penciling in B1G wins for a team that lost to Bowling Green, at home, on homecoming, less than a month ago.

If MSU finds their way to the Big Ten title game it will be one of the most shocking occurrences of the 2021 season. That team is so ridiculously over rated that it isn't even funny at this point.

That said, I would love to see them knock off Purdue in a few weeks. Heck at this point I am pulling hard for any East teams in their remaining crossover games with the West. With the obvious exceptions of Maryland and Indiana when they face us.
They have won every game they have played. You have to give them credit for that. We choked against one of the worst teams in the nation. If we actually win out, think how much fun it would be actually speculating about a playoff spot - not possible give the loss to BG. That said, because we lost to BG and have been so up and down (including 1st half vs 2nd half NE), I suspect we will go 4-2 the rest of the way.

Week by week it will clear up. MN, WI, NW still control destiny on paper. Purdue and Iowa need help. Iowa will get that help with Purdue still playing OSU and MSU. It comes down to MN at Iowa and the winner having the inside track. Beating Iowa would put MN in line to have the WI game be meaningless for the division.

Northwestern and Wisconsin potentially get all but eliminated this weekend.
hold on...not so fast. So you forgot about Maryland, NW and Illinois? Damn buddy...do you know something that the rest of us don't ? We need to win more games before we can contend for BTW.

They have won every game they have played. You have to give them credit for that. We choked against one of the worst teams in the nation. If we actually win out, think how much fun it would be actually speculating about a playoff spot - not possible give the loss to BG. That said, because we lost to BG and have been so up and down (including 1st half vs 2nd half NE), I suspect we will go 4-2 the rest of the way.
MSU is solid, they just aren't top 10. They have had a crazy easy schedule to this point and should have lost to Nebraska. Their schedule is very backloaded so they will get a chance to prove they belong starting in a couple weeks with Michigan.

Lot of people concerned about fans looking ahead or losing focus on the game at hand. Nothing we do or say here will have anything to do with what happens on the field over the remainder of the season.

Things are pretty simple, 6 games left on the regular season schedule, all 6 are winnable and we could just as easily lose all 6.

I do think some perspective should change on that Bowling Green game. Many of you think we are likely to lose games down the stretch because we lost to Bowling Green. I actually think losing to Bowling Green might help us avoid having major letdowns down the stretch and might even help us win more games.

If we played Bowling Green again I have zero doubt that we would kick the crap out of them.

Lot of people concerned about fans looking ahead or losing focus on the game at hand. Nothing we do or say here will have anything to do with what happens on the field over the remainder of the season.

Things are pretty simple, 6 games left on the regular season schedule, all 6 are winnable and we could just as easily lose all 6.

I do think some perspective should change on that Bowling Green game. Many of you think we are likely to lose games down the stretch because we lost to Bowling Green. I actually think losing to Bowling Green might help us avoid having major letdowns down the stretch and might even help us win more games.

If we played Bowling Green again I have zero doubt that we would kick the crap out of them.

Here's a guy who gets it.

Some Ohio St. fans sat behind us during the first game of the year. They were alright as far as opposing fans go. After the game, I was talking to one of them and as we parted ways we said "see you in Indy" at the exact same time. Whoa....
However, neither of us immediately said "jinx" so I don't know if that means it will come to fruition or not.
U do rock and also roll 😎

I think the coaches can always point back at the BG game and get the team's attention. It may indeed have done more good than harm. Only time will tell. If the Gophers can just focus on one game at a time, which I know they are trying to do, then the rest of the games will take care of themselves. All are winnable - all are losable, and we can't take any for granted. Hopefully we win the next 3 and go into that team from the South's stadium with some real meaning riding on the outcome. Just like 2019 only with a different ending, hopefully. The goal is always to play games in November that actually mean something. I can remember when that NEVER happened to us. Let's hope it becomes an annual rite of Fall.

I think the coaches can always point back at the BG game and get the team's attention. It may indeed have done more good than harm. Only time will tell. If the Gophers can just focus on one game at a time, which I know they are trying to do, then the rest of the games will take care of themselves. All are winnable - all are losable, and we can't take any for granted. Hopefully we win the next 3 and go into that team from the South's stadium with some real meaning riding on the outcome. Just like 2019 only with a different ending, hopefully. The goal is always to play games in November that actually mean something. I can remember when that NEVER happened to us. Let's hope it becomes an annual rite of Fall.
Players did not look past BG. That was Fleck and Sanford.

Need this one! It's a BigTen game!

Top Bottom