Ohio State QB Justin Fields starts petition to relaunch Big Ten season

right, we'll just replace em with scabs!

No, we'll just replace'em with other college students who love to play football even though they will never get close to an NFL roster, and who are on full-ride scholarships to obtain a very expensive and valuable college degrees. Football is fun to watch at all levels with all kinds of players.

The most important and enjoyable thing about college football is beating your rivals in trophy games on Saturdays in the fall. It doesn't matter how good the players are or how exiting the game. Just winning the game and taking possession of the trophy is enough for the players, coaches, and fans.

Last edited:

No, we'll just replace'em with other college students who love to play football even though they will never get close to an NFL roster, and who are on full-ride scholarships to obtain a very expensive and valuable college degree. Football is fun to watch at all levels with all kinds of players.

The most important and enjoyable thing about college football is beating your rivals in trophy games on Saturdays in the fall. It doesn't matter how good the players are or how exiting the game. Just winning the game and taking possession of the trophy is enough for the players, coaches, and fans.

This. If there were a semi pro league that took the best high school players, college football would still do just fine. College basketball did just fine before the 1 year rule.... Dumb take by @bigtenchamps1899

This. If there were a semi pro league that took the best high school players, college football would still do just fine. College basketball did just fine before the 1 year rule.... Dumb take by @bigtenchamps1899
i agree, where did i argue otherwise. college baseball and college hockey do just fine.

the original post was slightly tongue in cheek. i was ribbing people like mplsgopher, who is all about holding management to account, until s/hes not.

but if the slightly tongue in cheek statement is incorrect, if the schools dont need the players, why is there a rule that says that the player has to play college football?

Here is the petition if people want to sign it:

Signed it.

why?

edit: seems to me that the only reason for this is collusion between the billionaires of the nfl and the millionaires of the ncaa.

edit ii: and now you have progressives who are going to bat for the millionaires and billionaires instead of the exploited player.
You’re trying to argue that it’s fair that the exploited player should get to be exploited??

right, we'll just replace em with scabs!

some of you sound like early-twentieth century robber barons: "their labor is duly rewarded for a days work with a days pay in Standard Corp chits that can be redeemed at the company store. don't like it, go work somewhere else" (meanwhile, we have colluded with government and other corporations to ensure you cant go work anywhere else)
You’re right.

The players should go on strike, until their demands are met.

Oh I see, the fake analogy you’re proposing is indeed fake.

The actual analogy would be if the owner of the steel mill said “I do say! All of these workers are entirely too young! And these conditions are deplorable! We must close the plant u til we can clean things up, and hire working men of suitable age!”

And you’re sitting there yelling “these soot and grime covered children have the right to labor!” :sneaky:

It is impressive. Send them back home, retest a few weeks later, and see the difference.
False analogy to the risks of contracting it from close contact football, and so irrelevant.

Bateman has asthma. The cardiac abnormalities occur with every virus, nothing new.

As always, the players who don't want to play, don't have to play.
Let me guess, you’re making this up because the guy who studies genetic cardiac disease, and doesn’t study viruses, said so.

The same way they focus to work out and socialize together off the field?
The school has nothing to do with that. If they’re dumb enough to go to parties outside of school, that’s their problem and their fault.

How does he interpret possibly not having a formal vote to meaning one person made the decision? A group can come to a conclusion without voting.
Correct.

The internet these days is nothing more than sleazy wannabe cult leaders, trying to run around and collect wannabe cult members. Believe what you want to believe, see what you want to see, read what you want to read, deny anyone who claims otherwise no matter what they say.

Thats impressive. MSU earlier had an outbreak as I recall. I am really curious to see what happens if (when?) players test positive once the season starts and how the quarantine chain would impact the games.

Just think if you were a Wisconsin football player, you could still practice football for 20 hours per week. Practice apparently won’t spread Covid but playing in a game would. Only in the B1G.

By the way, who’s auditing these Michigan St results?

Would we trust Alabama, LSU, Clemson, if they said the same? I sure as hell wouldn’t. I’d assume they were covering up positive tests, until proven otherwise.

Just think if you were a Wisconsin football player, you could still practice football for 20 hours per week. Practice apparently won’t spread Covid but playing in a game would. Only in the B1G.
Then gtfo. Bye

hes-right-you-waecco.jpg
So far they have been woefully unable to explain their decision. It’s looking a whole lot more like a violent knee-jerk than some sort of sound, data-driven decision. If you’re not embarrassed you’re not paying attention.
Ah, no. The majority of the benefit is the opportunity for free education, free room & board, and a degree (or two).
If that were true, no student athlete would ever chose a athletic scholarship over an academic scholarship. And it happens all of the time.

The value is in the scholarship, but that’s not the benefit that attracts athletes to sign. And you already knew that.

While I do support the B1G decision of cancelling the season, I do think the players should have been part of the decision making process. There should have been a video call or something where the players were provided all the same evidence the presidents were seeing. There should also have been an opportunity for the players to ask questions and make sure they understand all of the evidence correctly. Then all the players should have been able to voice whether or not they felt safe playing. Potentially with the stipulation that they sign a liability waiver stating they know the risks and will not hold the school responsible.

Then, after seeing how many players wanted to play, and would agree to not hold the school liable, then they should have made a decision. Would it have been the same outcome? Maybe, maybe not.

It will be interesting to see what traction this gets. I don't know what leverage the players have at this point.
Really? College football is not a democracy where everyone gets a vote. College football programs are full of systems designed to instill virtual into the young men and help them make the right decisions. Of course, every player wants to play, that is why they have put in the work and made the sacrifices in order to be on a college team. You can not count on all of them making the best decision for their future health. How much time and effort is made just to keep them from doing normal stupid stuff?

Or maybe the schools didn’t get a say

This is a BS assumption. The president for the U has already said back during the announcement that there was not a vote. They all came to a consensus and agreed to not play the season. Assuming that just one person made up the decision is just a wrong conclusion.

It would be interesting to see such a system.

Like who wants to manage a bunch of HS grads outside of some sort of... college or draconian structure....?

I've see hockey leagues where they house the kids with families....

Dr. Brian Hainline, CMO of the NCAA, " right now, if testing stays as it is, there's no way we can go forward with sports ".

Aaaand, your last 10 posts are why everyone thinks you are a douche, and are on "ignore" 2X you nearest rival.
If you weren’t a coward liar, you’d have proved this by now. But you are

Dr. Brian Hainline, CMO of the NCAA, " right now, if testing stays as it is, there's no way we can go forward with sports ".
I'm not sure how much difference a change in testing would make, but if the reaction to positive cases stays the same (teams shutting down for 2 weeks every time there are a few positive cases), some teams might not be able to play a full season for years.

So far they have been woefully unable to explain their decision. It’s looking a whole lot more like a violent knee-jerk than some sort of sound, data-driven decision. If you’re not embarrassed you’re not paying attention.

If that were true, no student athlete would ever chose a athletic scholarship over an academic scholarship. And it happens all of the time.

The value is in the scholarship, but that’s not the benefit that attracts athletes to sign. And you already knew that.

The reason for the decision is pretty self-evident, isn't it? There are 1.5 million active coronavirus infections in the United States and sporting events are not compatible with infection control. Each new infection costs the U.S.~$55,000 in lost productivity, potential medical cost, etc. Do the math on that one. Twenty years from now it will have hardly mattered that fall sports were shut down during 100 year epidemic. Should not even be a question.

Sure, I buy that.

But again, they got the benefit of getting to see what went wrong elsewhere, first.

Can you imagine the massacre that would’ve befallen the elderly and long term care patients in the south, if that region had been the first hit in March/April? They would’ve F’ed it up beyond all imagination.
You are not familiar with the horrible job Walz did with Nursing Homes here in Minnesota?

Top Bottom