Ohio State Matchups?

Laker

Reaction score
Anybody have a take on the matchups. OSU seems to be load at OL, DL, RB, and WR. 4 potential 1st rounders at WR. Questions are at QB and LB. DL has a bunch of very fast 5 stars. They will put a lot of pressure on the qb. How about the Gophers?

It is a matchup of experience vs talent. OSU is going to have better athletes at pretty much every position but they do have spots where they are lacking big time in game experience (QB, LB).

Gophers will need to bring their A game and capitalize on any and all scoring opportunities. OSU can be beaten but it will take a great effort from the Gophers in all 3 phases to get it done.

the OSU secondary was a weak link for them last year...they have dealt with some injuries there in Spring ball that are lingering into August camp...Marcus Hooker had a DWI off-season, will he play week one?...a top incoming recruit had season ending injury...

It is a matchup of experience vs talent. OSU is going to have better athletes at pretty much every position but they do have spots where they are lacking big time in game experience (QB, LB).

Gophers will need to bring their A game and capitalize on any and all scoring opportunities. OSU can be beaten but it will take a great effort from the Gophers in all 3 phases to get it done.
That's a succinct and accurate summary. Thanks.

I think punter and kicker will both be new starters...true frosh and redshirt frosh, I believe.

Maybe we get some special teams breaks.

Five new starters on offense, six new starters on defense, if all returning starters are healthy, things go as projected. Harry Miller, Haskell Garrett and Sevyn Banks have had injury issues.

From 247 after Spring ball:

On offense, the six returning starters include running back Master Teague, wide receivers Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson, left tackle Thayer Munford, left guard Harry Miller and right tackle Nicholas Petit-Frere.

The five returning starters on defense include defensive end Tyreke Smith, defensive tackle Haskell Garrett, safety Josh Proctor and cornerbacks Sevyn Banks and Marcus Williamson.

Ohio state remains loaded. Gophers will need some things to go right.

I think PJs game plan is going to be hammer the ball with Mo and other backs. Lean on the big dudes up front to dominate by the end of the game. Don’t turn the ball over. Don’t make special teams mistakes. Easier said than done obviously.

Defensively they need some stops at some point. Prey on the inexperienced QB. Cannot match up athletically, obviously. Especially on the outside.

This game just comes down to whether we can run the ball. If we run, it will allow Morgan to get comfortable with read option passes which allows us to break some big plays in the passing game. Defensively we need to get some kind of push because it is asking a lot to stop osu receivers ezpecially in the first game. I'm cautiously optimistic we can win especially if we pound them on the run

Anybody have a take on the matchups. OSU seems to be load at OL, DL, RB, and WR. 4 potential 1st rounders at WR. Questions are at QB and LB. DL has a bunch of very fast 5 stars. They will put a lot of pressure on the qb. How about the Gophers?
The entire room could be first round picks. They have to be the only team in modern history to have a player transfer (because he was buried on the depth chart) to Alabama and start

Last edited:

pound the rock, chew clock, and do not let their young qb get into rhythm
Yep, big test for our front 7. Run the ball on offense and make them beat us in the air on defense. If their QB is having a good day, that's a really tough game.

A strong interior push from the dts will go a long way. It would be nice to get pressure from multiple spots along the dline.

. Cannot match up athletically, obviously. Especially on the outside.
Not obvious to me.

St. Juste, Williamson, Winfield, Myrick, BBC, Murray, Travis, Thompson, Johnson, Wells have proven that just because a DB is wearing Maroon and Gold (or black, white and metallic maroon) doesn't automatically mean he doesn't have NFL athleticism, skills.

Durr will get NFL looks at cornerback. Six years experience, six years strength and speed training at an elite level will allow him to match-up.

Athletically, T-Time can match up. State champ speed in Georgia sprints. Long, strong, and four years with Nichols and crew on speed and strength. Has plenty of game experience vs NFL WRs and a LOT of practice experience vs some of best WRs in the League.

Howden came in athletic (I believe a State Champ in Nevada in LJ and Sprints) and has been through the wars on the field in 2018, 2019 and 2020. Started 12 games in 2019 for an 11-2 team that matched up athletically with Auburn and Penn State talent (sealed victory with pick vs PSU).

Nubin was a highly recruited four star talent out of high school and has had three years now to build on that. Glowing reports from coaches on off-season work.

Justus Harris was on a State Championship game team in Georgia, has four years playing experience, and five years S&C training. Phil Howard had very high level speed (verified 4.38), hips out of high school if not size. He is six years removed from high school.

The true frosh Walley has a lot of athleticism.

Harasymiak and Haynes can coach dbs with anyone in nation.

Mafe will put up athletic numbers at NFL Combine that OSU guys might not match.

Otomewo no slouch. He was a top 50 DE out of high school and he has had five years to improve his athleticism and skills.

Ohio boy Rush will play with passion. Fourth year vet. MJ Anderson in year 3 may emerge. Had a ton of Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big 12 offers out of St Louis three years ago.

Some younger DEs may surprise opening night! Booker has OSU athleticism, if not age, strength, experience. Striggow has overlooked athleticism like that of Iowa, NW, WI DE guys that have gone on to NFL.

Wilt can coach dline with anyone in nation.

Inside, Gophs definitely can match up.

Pinckney was #5 ranked DT out of high school, has five years in Clemson S&C and another 3/4 year here. Grown man strength. He can match up.

DeAngelo Carter is very athletic (MVP for Georgia State Champs) and has stepped up his weight room work in the offseason...he can match up. Third year vet now. Look for him to get by some inexperienced OSU o-linemen.

DewTreadway was a high school AllAmerican, four years at Notre Dame, and now in third year here. Grown man strength. Fleck singing his praises for off-season work.

Martin was #8 overall prep talent in Georgia, #22 DT in nation out of high school...has five years experience since then, competed at high level in ACC for three years...another grown man.

Cheney another guy loaded with talent...four star, played for Georgia State Champions...three years in program now.

Gophers two deep d-line rotation outplays the Buckeye oline in a four quarter game?

Fleck motivational skills can raise level of play for one night.
Togetherness, giving, gratitude, humility, intelligence, knowing your identity, doing your job, having focus, playing with family....all can narrow any so called gap.
Ten months to focus on one team narrows the talent gap.
Sold out, under the lights, national TV, haven't been to a game since Auburn victory beating, starved for success home crowd behind you can raise level of play for one night.

My buddies and I had a helluva night in Columbus in 2000 (Ron effin' Johnson). Hope to raise a glass or two with them again a week from tomorrow.

Gophs can match up.

Last edited:

Not obvious to me.

St. Juste, Williamson, Winfield, Myrick, BBC, Murray, Travis, Thompson, Johnson, Wells have proven that just because a DB is wearing Maroon and Gold (or black, white and metallic maroon) doesn't automatically mean he doesn't have NFL athleticism, skills.

Durr will get NFL looks at cornerback. Six years experience, six years strength and speed training at an elite level will allow him to match-up.

Athletically, T-Time can match up. State champ speed in Georgia sprints. Long, strong, and four years with Nichols and crew on speed and strength. Has plenty of game experience vs NFL WRs and a LOT of practice experience vs some of best WRs in the League.

Howden came in athletic (I believe a State Champ in Nevada in LJ and Sprints) and has been through the wars on the field in 2018, 2019 and 2020. Started 12 games in 2019 for an 11-2 team that matched up athletically with Auburn and Penn State talent (sealed victory with pick vs PSU).

Nubin was a highly recruited four star talent out of high school and has had three years now to build on that. Glowing reports from coaches on off-season work.

Justus Harris was on a State Championship game team in Georgia, has four years playing experience, and five years S&C training. Phil Howard had very high level speed (verified 4.38), hips out of high school if not size. He is six years removed from high school.

The true frosh Walley has a lot of athleticism.

Harasymiak and Haynes can coach dbs with anyone in nation.

Mafe will put up athletic numbers at NFL Combine that OSU guys might not match.

Otomewo no slouch. He was a top 50 DE out of high school and he has had five years to improve his athleticism and skills.

Ohio boy Rush will play with passion. Fourth year vet. MJ Anderson in year 3 may emerge. Had a ton of Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big 12 offers out of St Louis three years ago.

Some younger DEs may surprise opening night! Booker has OSU athleticism, if not age, strength, experience. Striggow has overlooked athleticism like that of Iowa, NW, WI DE guys that have gone on to NFL.

Wilt can coach dline with anyone in nation.

Inside, Gophs definitely can match up.

Pinckney was #5 ranked DT out of high school, has five years in Clemson S&C and another 3/4 year here. Grown man strength. He can match up.

DeAngelo Carter is very athletic (MVP for Georgia State Champs) and has stepped up his weight room work in the offseason...he can match up. Third year vet now. Look for him to get by some inexperienced OSU o-linemen.

DewTreadway was a high school AllAmerican, four years at Notre Dame, and now in third year here. Grown man strength. Fleck singing his praises for off-season work.

Martin was #8 overall prep talent in Georgia, #22 DT in nation out of high school...has five years experience since then, competed at high level in ACC for three years...another grown man.

Cheney another guy loaded with talent...four star, played for Georgia State Champions...three years in program now.

Gophers two deep o-line outplays the Buckeye oline in a four quarter game?

Fleck motivational skills can raise level of play for one night.
Togetherness, giving, intelligence, focus, family can narrow any so called gap.
Ten months to focus on one team narrows the talent gap.
Sold out, under the lights, national TV, starved for success home crowd behind you can raise level of play for one night.

Gophs can match up.
Being fast doesn't mean you can match up with a wide receiver, otherwise they'd just have sprinters play.

After reading your thoughts I honestly wonder if Ohio State will get across midfield. I just hope when our 2nd and 3rd team get in for mop up duty in the 3rd quarter that they will take it easy on Olave and Teague. Don't want to hurt their draft stock too much!

I think the Gophers can win but a lot of what you mentioned is nonsense. Like our o-line outplaying their o-line. Their o-line plays against our d-line.

After reading your thoughts I honestly wonder if Ohio State will get across midfield. I just hope when our 2nd and 3rd team get in for mop up duty in the 3rd quarter that they will take it easy on Olave and Teague.
Fairly recent Ohio State night games vs Big Ten west teams Purdue and Iowa were pretty much blow out mop up games late. Unathletic NW held OSU team to 22 last year, in final week of season, with OSU with experienced QB, RB, Oline, TEs, K, P.

Last edited:

I think the Gophers can win but a lot of what you mentioned is nonsense. Like our o-line outplaying their o-line. Their o-line plays against our d-line.
Obviously that was a typo...our d-line may rotate 8 or more guys, is talented, and may outplay their talented, but still defining positions and looking to gel, oline...especially late if d-line rotation works.

What else is nonsense?

Last edited:

Fairly recent Ohio State night games vs Big Ten west teams Purdue and Iowa were pretty much blow out mop up games late. Unathletic NW held OSU team to 22 last year, in final week of season, with experienced QB, RB, Oline, TEs.
You should bet it all on the Gophers covering.

Since 2012 tOSU is 70-4 in the conference, if my math is correct. Those losses were to #9 Michigan St finished 6th in AP Poll), @ Penn State (finished 7th in AP Poll), @ Iowa (finished NR in AP Poll) and @ Purdue (finished NR in AP Poll).

Ryan Day is 18-0 in the conference.

I'm not saying the Gophers can win but your summary of them being equal or better across so many positions is insane.

I agree with your summary.

Experience vs Talent with the wild card always being luck (turnovers).

Not sure Gophers can match up “athletically,” even given our confidence in the team and it’s development programs. Bottom line: The Gophers might not try to match up athletically across the board. That is a fool’s errand. They will try to direct their greatest strengths towards OSUs most obvious weaknesses (and by weaknesses, I mean only relative weaknesses in comparison to OSU’s obscenely plentiful strengths).

On offense, OSU has only two theoretical weaknesses: (1) a QB making his first start and (2) a recent re-shuffling of the positions of OSU’s talented and experienced OL. I think the Gophers re-made front seven could provide some resistance to OSU’s running game. If OSU tries to emphasize its incredible downfield passing game, the Gophers must mount a meaningful pass rush. No pass rush and the new QB still cuts us to pieces because of OSU’s unbelievable WR talent. To mount a meaningful pass rush the Gophers will have to take chances with blitzes … unless OSU’s reshuffling of OL positions has momentarily adversely affected communication and coordination among the OL, in which case the Gophers can use their DL strengths, as well as confusion and perhaps stunts to get a pass rush going without becoming too vulnerable with jail break type blitzes. If the Gophers get to the new QB, forcing him out of rhythm or into bad decisions, it could be because the incredible OSU OL is off just a tick because of the recent position reshuffling.

On defense, OSU has very athletically talented players everywhere, and a dominant DL, but LBs that are untested and unproven in game settings … and DBs who, though experienced, have yet to really prove themselves as dominant. Though the run game is our obvious strength, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Gophers attacked the OSU defenses’ back seven early and often to probe for any weakness that could give the Gophers some favorable passing game match ups. If the OSU DBs have trouble with our WRs, or the LBs are ineffective or confused covering TEs and WRs on passing plays, the Gophers might hit this hard and essentially use the pass to keep OSU from stacking the box on every play. If the OSU defense has enough trouble with our passing game, and therefore plays “even up” in the box, then you will see our true strength: Mo Ibrahim running behind a very good, experienced, huge OL. This could be a bad scenario for OSU’s defense, even with the huge athletic advantage it arguably enjoys.

The other “strength” PJ has been developing is DEPTH … at RB, and in the OL, DL and at LB. This year’s team will not have a thin set of starters who are “gassed” in the 4th Q and lose simply because the opponent has more and fresher bodies. This year’s team will use rotations at almost all key positions. And the coaches are focused on keeping Mo fresh for critical 4th Q drives … and keeping the DL fresh for a 4th Q battle royal. It will be harder this year for OSU to beat the Gophers simply by wearing down our starters and then pouring on the gas in the 4th Q. We should have fresh bodies to meet that strategy this year.

You are welcome.

Will the new jumbo OL be able to keep pressure off the Gopher QB. Unless you are Tom Brady experience doesn’t mean much if you are running for your life

which of my statements is insane?
Almost everything you mentioned was about how long they've been on campus and what their high school ranking was. I think at this point we know that what they ranked 5 years ago is irrelevant. IF they are as good as you we would have seen more from them previously. You're projecting the best case scenario on nearly every player.

Yes, Otomewo was not a top 50 DE, he was 82 as a WDE, unless you're cherry picking just one rating. He was ranked outside the top 1500 overall. Just because he has had 5 years doesn't mean he is better or good.

You also pointed out, repeatedly, how long guys have been with other programs and out of high school. Thats great--if they are ready and got better. But if they couldn't get reps consistently or have had injuries or a variety of other factors it doesn't matter. Again--you're projecting on these guys.

I think our DL is fine and will be fine. I also said they don't match up well outside.

Go pull the track titles and other nonsense for all the tOSU and tell me you love our athleticism compared to them.

Swingman, you make some great points, but you're up against the "look at us, we're lovable losers" mentality of some Minnesota fans.

I've never lived outside the Twin Cities metro. Can anyone who has lived other places tell me if other fan bases are like ours? I mean, it seems to me that we have certain fans who get almost offended if anyone suggests one of our teams can actually compete against the best.

You should bet it all on the Gophers covering.

Since 2012 tOSU is 70-4 in the conference, if my math is correct. Those losses were to #9 Michigan St finished 6th in AP Poll), @ Penn State (finished 7th in AP Poll), @ Iowa (finished NR in AP Poll) and @ Purdue (finished NR in AP Poll).

Ryan Day is 18-0 in the conference.

I'm not saying the Gophers can win but your summary of them being equal or better across so many positions is insane.
He was responding to someone who said the Gophers "obviously" don't match up physically. The words "equal" and "better" do not appear in his post anywhere.

Swingman, you make some great points, but you're up against the "look at us, we're lovable losers" mentality of some Minnesota fans.

I've never lived outside the Twin Cities metro. Can anyone who has lived other places tell me if other fan bases are like ours? I mean, it seems to me that we have certain fans who get almost offended if anyone suggests one of our teams can actually compete against the best.
I've lived all over the country, all things considered, I think Gopher fans are pretty realistic and super honest with evaluations. It's similar to die hard Timberwolves fans, they are super knowledgeable because we've been out of contention for so long that we're not as biased.

I love the Gophers and I certainly think we've come a long way but we do not match up athletically with Ohio State. That isn't a rip on the U, pretty much the only school that does is Alabama.

Take our secondary. This is a secondary that I think we will be improved, but pointing to the fact that we have 1 DB who will play in the NFL and some guys who ran track in HS does not equate to matching up against Ohio State's WR. Ohio State's #1 and #2 will likely be first round picks (so think of like Bateman, they are both that good) and their #3 is someone who beat out the guy who transferred to start at Alabama. Their #4-6 are all TOP rated recruits. I love Swingman's optimism, but disagreeing with him is not a sign of pessimism. Think of some Gopher greats - - Antonio Winfield Jr., Rashad Bateman, Tyler Johnson - - this Ohio State team puts out about 5-10 similarly productive players every single year.

We are a good team with a good deep OL. We can beat Ohio State but we have significantly fewer paths to a W than Ohio State. IMO.

I've lived all over the country, all things considered, I think Gopher fans are pretty realistic and super honest with evaluations. It's similar to die hard Timberwolves fans, they are super knowledgeable because we've been out of contention for so long that we're not as biased.

I love the Gophers and I certainly think we've come a long way but we do not match up athletically with Ohio State. That isn't a rip on the U, pretty much the only school that does is Alabama.

Take our secondary. This is a secondary that I think we will be improved, but pointing to the fact that we have 1 DB who will play in the NFL and some guys who ran track in HS does not equate to matching up against Ohio State's WR. Ohio State's #1 and #2 will likely be first round picks (so think of like Bateman, they are both that good) and their #3 is someone who beat out the guy who transferred to start at Alabama. Their #4-6 are all TOP rated recruits. I love Swingman's optimism, but disagreeing with him is not a sign of pessimism. Think of some Gopher greats - - Antonio Winfield Jr., Rashad Bateman, Tyler Johnson - - this Ohio State team puts out about 5-10 similarly productive players every single year.

We are a good team with a good deep OL. We can beat Ohio State but we have significantly fewer paths to a W than Ohio State. IMO.

I get it.

But the word 'fan' came from 'fanatic' (or so I've been told). Therefore, the realism and rationality you point to and praise seem a little out of place for true-blue fans. It's one thing to be realistic, but it's taking it to another level when a 'fan' is lightning-quick to throw cold water on any show of enthusiasm.

If we're placing large bets, I want rationality and realism. If we're rooting for and building up our team, I prefer lots of enthusiasm.

And Swingman made a really good case for his argument that the Gophers may not be as far from Ohio State's level as we (very Minnesotan) 'fans' think they are.

Top Bottom