Ohio State has 10,000 tickets available for home opener vs Oregon

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
We like to fret over ticket sales around here but I suspect that is the way of the future for most teams, even big name programs facing other big name programs.

Perhaps they could offer tickets with frozen pizza?

The days of 100,000 person stadiums are likely behind us. I’d blow up TCF and add 15,000 seats though.

The days of 100,000 person stadiums are likely behind us. I’d blow up TCF and add 15,000 seats though.
Wasn't the foundation of the Bank stadium laid out to allow future seating capacity expansion?

If they are winning Big Ten titles, maybe adding 15,000 additional seats and lowering the ticket prices will encourage fan attendance.

Wasn't the foundation of the Bank stadium laid out to allow future seating capacity expansion?

If they are winning Big Ten titles, maybe adding 15,000 additional seats and lowering the ticket prices will encourage fan attendance.
Lowering ticket prices? LOL

From Wikipedia on Huntington Bank Stadium:
The 50,805-seat "horseshoe" style stadium cost $303.3 million to build and is designed to support future expansion to seat up to 80,000.

One thing for sure. All colleges have to get a handle on ticket prices and attendance. Once it starts to go down and people get out of habit of attending games, more people will do other things including expanding their man caves as opposed to shelling out their pocketbook to attend games.

I'd rather they didn't. Make it the hottest ticket in town. Add some cool amenities instead of more seats.

I'd rather they didn't. Make it the hottest ticket in town. Add some cool amenities instead of more seats.
Also improve the concession stands so the food lines can move faster. Add more concessions in certain areas.

Yes. IIRC it was/ is expandable to 80,000 in 10K increments by design.

Surprised to hear OSU didn't sell out for Oregon. Big game. National interest. And like everywhere, people there haven't had a chance to attend a college football game in a long time (and I hear they like their Buckeyes). There was a feeling in Huntington Bank Stadium last Thursday that felt sort of like a carnival. People were excited to be there. Personally, it felt soooo good to be able to take in all the sights and sounds of college football again.

Unrelated: I just realized it sucks to type out "Huntington Bank Stadium" - will have to just go with "the bank" from now on.

There is also a pandemic going on... The base of people comfortable with their normal activities (games, state fair, etc.) is significantly smaller to pull from than usual. Gophers could sell out the OSU game because the base for a game like that is a lot bigger than TCF capacity. I reckon most of the other home games will be ugly attendance.

More concessions/vendors would be a good start.
Just faster / professional concession folks would be nice.

The new quicker stations are nice ... but man the backlog is the wonky disorganized consession folks themselves. I don't blame them personally... it's not like professional concession person is a job that pays ... but man some struggle to just putz around back there.

Yes. You just "fill in" the west side to make a full bowl, and it goes up to 80k.

I'd rather keep the downtown view, though. Try to sell out 50k every game!

Last edited:

Yes. You just "fill in" the west side to make a full bowl, and it goes up to 80k.

Any future expansions would be a 3rd deck around the visiting side and/or student section. You can see form ariel views that it is designed for that. The west side plaza will remain open forever so the stadium is a horseshoe.

Any future expansions would be a 3rd deck around the visiting side and/or student section. You can see form ariel views that it is designed for that. The west side plaza will remain open forever so the stadium is a horseshoe.
Yeah any large scale expansion on the open end would be weird as there's not a lot of room on that side of the stadium anyway. That area is pretty high traffic as it is.

Not saying you're wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read something to the effect of what I said was the original conception.

That doesn't mean that it wouldn't be exactly what you said, as they might be willing to pay the 10x higher cost of that over just filling it in, to maintain the view.

Yeah any large scale expansion on the open end would be weird as there's not a lot of room on that side of the stadium anyway. That area is pretty high traffic as it is.
You'd buy-out and close down that B-dubs building, kill the Oak St little jog over, and just make that whole area a plaza shared with Mariucci.

kj7693G.png

You'd buy-out and close down that B-dubs building, kill the Oak St little jog over, and just make that whole area a plaza shared with Mariucci.

kj7693G.png
It would be a MAJOR project but you could re-route oak between B-dubs and Williams to do that. Probably not worth the astronomical cost though.

Or if they ever tear down Williams maybe that would be the time for something like that.

Last edited:

Good teams like OSU and Alabama have hit an impasse I think. When winning the game/division/conference/national championship is a forgone conclusion, what makes the game exciting? Some people like watching their team win big, but not everyone does. Some view it as boring.

OSU vs Oregon is a marquee matchup, but OSU fans may just view it as "Another top 10 win waiting to happen". Winning is no longer the most exciting thing about GameDay for OSU fans.

That's why stadiums will still fill up for Rivalries, even horribly unmatched ones, because its not just about winning, it's about beating the rival. Without that extra excitement, or something else to make it exciting, its tough to sell out and keep prices high.

I see a future where even the best teams need to be flexible with pricing if they want to sell out. Or they decide selling out isn't important.

It just isn't the same around here without an active thread discussing stadium expansion...

That would force the Gophers to win every home game. :cool02: That is a good thing don't you agree?

It will be nice to claim the pig and the ax every year the hogeyes and the red skunks come to the Bank.

You gonna need 2 more parking garages if we expand to 80k seats. Parking is bad enough already on sold out games.

Top Bottom