Oh Snap! Get Ready Y’all!

When was it attempted?? I remember a gold out for a wisconsin game a back when I was still in school...probably early 2010s. It was poor because 1) wisconsin red and 2) it was raining (not a lot of people have gold rain gear).

Didn't they encourage people to wear maroon for the PSU game?? That was pretty successful without a ton of effort.

I cannot be THAT difficult to pull off. Keep doing it annually (at least) and people will figure it out.
My worry is the old farts in the lower level between the 40s who won't even stand for big plays. 😉

Have you checked your email??? I got an email and I'm not even a season ticket holder.
Just got the email

So I no longer think the university is slipping on the job

Short of giving away shirts for free, which I assume they aren't doing since the e-mail doesn't mention it, I hope that they have dedicated vendors selling nothing but maroon and gold t-shirts in sizes large and XL for $10. The Bookstore periodically has simple t-shirts with script "Minnesota" on the chest for sale at that price, so it should be feasible. Large sizes so you can just slip it on over whatever you are wearing.

We can’t even pull off a “gold-out” or a “maroon-out”. 0 for 10 or 12 is my guess.
Stripes??? I’ll do my part, but zero chance this works.
I think it depends on what "works" means to you. Is there going to be 85-95% compliance like you see some places? No, and if success to you means that it looks like Iowa on a stripe out day, I agree that it won't work. But I'll consider it a success (and progress) if they get to 50-60% compliance and there is enough color differentiation that you can make out the "stripes" from across the stadium.

I predict this will fail. The Maroon out for PSU did work and that surprised me. But, part of the repeated failures with stuff like this is a lot of people simply don't have gold gopher gear.

I recall a game (somewhere in the 2009-2011 range) where they tried a "gold out" and I was at BWW prior to the game and literally took a photo of a large group of people walking to the stadium and put it on facebook with a caption "Fans excited for today's gold out at the bank". Every single person in the group (20 or so) were in maroon gear.

I think it depends on what "works" means to you. Is there going to be 85-95% compliance like you see some places? No, and if success to you means that it looks like Iowa on a stripe out day, I agree that it won't work. But I'll consider it a success (and progress) if they get to 50-60% compliance and there is enough color differentiation that you can make out the "stripes" from across the stadium.
Well, 50-60% is an F, so 🤷‍♂️

And 35% wins you a batting title. What the hell does that have to do with anything?
You said “it depends what I consider “working”. I don’t consider only half the people doing it “working”. Plain and simple.

Had a summer session statistics class that was the same. Very rough curve. Still don't get it...
I don’t get it either. Never understood the point. Maybe to show the students they don’t know much yet? Always found it dumb. I remember one kid in the class yelling at the prof during the final. On the bright side, I enjoyed that 🤷‍♂️

I've been told it's to let the really smart kids distinguish themselves from us pleebs on gopher hole.

I remember a class I think was called transport theory or something where our avg on the first midterm was 28%. That was even an open book/notes test. If your students score that low on avg on a test, the test was either too difficult or you're a shit teacher.

I remember a class I think was called transport theory or something where our avg on the first midterm was 28%. That was even an open book/notes test. If your students score that low on avg on a test, the test was either too difficult or you're a shit teacher.
I had an Econ final where after I walked in my apartment door and immediately started drinking. I told my roommate how badly I failed the final because I couldn't answer so many of the questions. I got a freaking A lol.

A lot of STEM academia has this wierd obsession with "weeding out" the students who "can't handle" the major. So that, plus a lot of professors who really just want to do research but have to teach because they work at a university, and you get these classes where they have to curve it so heavily to have the right number of folks pass.

A lot of STEM academia has this wierd obsession with "weeding out" the students who "can't handle" the major. So that, plus a lot of professors who really just want to do research but have to teach because they work at a university, and you get these classes where they have to curve it so heavily to have the right number of folks pass.
As a U of M IT (now College of Science and Engineering) grad, I can agree with this. Physics was the worst. Chem was more reasonable. It was not unheard of in my sophomore-year physics classes for test averages to be under 40 out of 100. That was in the mid-90's. Maybe it's changed though?

Anyway...back on topic... I'll have both my maroon and gold ready to go since I'm a Gopher pass holder and don't know where my seats will be til 2 days before the game.

Last edited:

See, if folks would just practice a little bit of patience instead of immediately complaining that "this hasn't been communicated" (cough cough Some guy cough cough) when the game is literally in 13 days maybe we'd all have a little less stress in our lives.
But it is so much more fun to just immediately complain and look for the negative angle :)

Glad they are doing this early in the year and getting the word out ahead of time. I actually think it has a chance of working as long as they keep on promoting it. Will be interesting to see if our fanbase can come through and do something that is routinely done at the schools we want to be considered equal too.

We noticed this year how many more people are wearing Maroon and Gold than even five years ago...so much less of people wearing random colors (Edina Green, Vikings Purple, Camo, etc.....)....demographic is much younger in the stadium than it was even five years ago

the tailgate lots were packed and extravagant again on Saturday....going back a full decade now to 2013, it has been a good product

Things have changed

I won't, only because you used the word "y'all" in your thread title.

As a U of M IT (now College of Science and Engineering) grad, I can agree with this. Physics was the worst. Chem was more reasonable. It was not unheard of in my sophomore-year physics classes for test averages to be under 40 out of 100. That was in the mid-90's. Maybe it's changed though?

Anyway...back on topic... I'll have both my maroon and gold ready to go since I'm a Gopher pass holder and don't know where my seats will be til 2 days before the game.
It was still the same mid-2010s (I also graduated from the College of Science and Engineering). Physics was a particularly bad offender.

Top Bottom