Offseason Areas of Improvement (Individual)

Reaction score
A mere two hours into the long offseason for Gopher basketball, I'm curious as to what 'Holers would like to see individual players work on over the summer. In my opinion, tonight was a pretty clear indicator as to what we need to work on individually and collectively over the next 7 months or so. Stanford did a great job of exposing/exploiting our weaknesses, but because we're such a young squad, I think we can all agree that this group of lads has plenty of room for improvement. Here are a few basic jottings on what I've noticed needs work for us to take the next step (not accounting for Mbakwe, Big Mo, Lockett, Buggs, or Ellenson).

-Andre Hollins: Ability to go left
-Joe Coleman: Finishing around the rim and making reasonable progress on the jumper (we can't expect a 35% 3pt shooter with the snap of a finger)
-Elliott Eliason: Being strong with the ball, both at the rim and away from the rim
-Andre Ingram: Finishing around the rim and going up strong
-Rodney Williams: Making further progress on his jumper and being stronger around the rim (free throw woes addressed in NIT [16-19, 84%]?)
-Julian Welch: Playing within himself (no need to constantly try and make the spectacular play)

Again, that list is by no means comprehensive and you'll notice I didn't include everyone. Feel free to make additions (or subtractions). Take your time responding if you need to let 2011-12 settle in for a few days/weeks, but with a very exciting offseason on the horizon, I can't wait to see how each player progresses leading into next season. Cheers!

It might just be me but I feel that if this team wants to get to the final 4 Rodney is going to have to the guy that takes the ball for the last minute minute 1/2. Nothing against either Hollins but neither is going to get the Gophers deeps in the tourny NEXT YEAR.

I would also add to Eliason's areas he needs to be able to knock down that 15 footer so centers have to come out and guard him there. He's a very good passer, and working that high low with Trevor next year will only work if they respect him with the ball at 15-17 feet.

I would also like to see Ingram and Eliason set better screens, or more specifically better ball screens. This is the only area I think the Gophers are going to miss RS.

I wouldn't worry too much about Welch, if he doesn't learn how to be the third option next year he's going to see a lot of bench time. I see Mo Eliason and Ingram rotating at the 5-4 next year, and Trevor and Rodney playing big minutes at the 3-4. I don't know if at any point next year you have a single minute where both are off the floor. I would say the Dre has locked up the 1 and I wouldn't be shocked if Coleman was playing a number of minutes at the off guard.

Very good first shot 920! I'm guessing Joe will be the one we don't recognize next season.

Austin: I think he could be a great player if he just attacked more. He has shown the ability to, he just doesn't do it. I'm not exactly sure how he would improve in this, but I think it needs to be done some how.

Austin: I think he could be a great player if he just attacked more. He has shown the ability to, he just doesn't do it. I'm not exactly sure how he would improve in this, but I think it needs to be done some how.

Hi zambam! I thought Austin really improved and has a good game. Unfortunately, think he will hit his ceiling as a solid B1G player. Hope I'm wrong!

Go Gophers!

Hi zambam! I thought Austin really improved and has a good game. Unfortunately, think he will hit his ceiling as a solid B1G player. Hope I'm wrong!

Go Gophers!
I think with Austin it's less about gaining skill, and more about taking advantage of chances. It seems the only times he shoots are when it's designed for him to get that shot.

I think with Austin it's less about gaining skill, and more about taking advantage of chances. It seems the only times he shoots are when it's designed for him to get that shot.

Absolutely. He can do a little bit of everything on the floor, but he needs to assert himself better (i.e. get a little more aggressive, play with a little more of a purpose when he gets the ball). Obviously they have different skill sets, but I view Rodney in the same light at times. I'm sure we all agree that both have improved quite a bit in the past year, but I'd like to see them bulk up a bit more in the offseason too.

I'm really excited to see how Rodney handles his senior season. Him and Andre kind of took the reigns during the NIT here and showed some leadership (that can and should be built on heading into next season). With Andre, Rodney, and potentially Trevor on the floor, I think we'll do a lot to fill that leadership void that was so glaringly obvious throughout this season.

as a team - they need another ball handler or teams will kill us with our turnovers - we need someone who can shoot the ball consistantly -

as a team - they need another ball handler or teams will kill us with our turnovers - we need someone who can shoot the ball consistantly -

Both good points, let me address the second. Clem used to always counsel his shooters that their shooting percentage would improve til their junior year. Specific examples are Ariel M. and Townsend O. It's just part of the process IMO. With that said, hope we get Thomas from Wisconsin next recruiting class.

Absolutely. He can do a little bit of everything on the floor, but he needs to assert himself better (i.e. get a little more aggressive, play with a little more of a purpose when he gets the ball). Obviously they have different skill sets, but I view Rodney in the same light at times. I'm sure we all agree that both have improved quite a bit in the past year, but I'd like to see them bulk up a bit more in the offseason too
If you haven't seen this take a look:
http://fromthebarn.org/2012/03/28/a-special-guest-post-by-dan-hanner-the-future-is-here/
Austin gets the 3rd most minutes on the team, and is the 3rd most offensively efficient player on the team (followed closely by Ingram though), despite not seeing a lot of usage. I definitely think if he was used more in the offense, our offense would be more balanced. Big part of this is he needs to be more assertive. Austin stepping up would be a great help to Dre, I think, because Dre wouldn't be the only guard beating guys off the bounce.
Welch is pretty consistent (unless you count clutch free throws I guess). Austin is getting more consistent.

Coleman's jump shot. I agree with 920 that he can't become great over night, but at his position, he needs to be able to shoot well enough that if the defense is going to sit back, guard the lane, and concede the shot, that he can drill the open shot. He doesn't need to be able to shoot a circus shot with a defender all over him, because he has the ability to drive.

I don't know how to do it, but Welch needs to find a way to hit those late free throws. A free throw shooter that good missing that many in those situations is a real problem.

I hope to see the Goose mature a little bit in the offseason and stop complaining to the refs. He is young and sometimes emotion gets the better of you, hopefully he grows out of it and we don't end up with a Kevin Love who makes his team defend against a hockey style powerplay as we play 5 on 4 with the fifth man at the other end gesturing at the official.

I saw some more aggressiveness out of Austin at the end, would like to see that development continue.

Ingram, just lay the damn ball in and get us our two points.

As the announcers continuously reminded us, Dre needs to work a little on going to the left.

Would like to see Rodney work on the jumper and continue his improvement there, this will be crucial if he ends up playing SF.

Armelin, work on free throws.

Rodney work on his ball handling. Also continue getting better at shooting, get pickier too, when you get a pass from the inside you hit the 3 a lot more. You can't dunk over people everytime you get in the lane. Learn to jump stop before you charge and shoot a 6-8 foot floater.

Eliason confidence to take 12 foot shot. Also hit the weights. And learn a couple of post moves.

Dre learn how to go left and work on making pg plays for others.

Coleman shooting and ball handling.

Austin hit the weights. Also become a leader, this team would be better if you were more assertive, like Rodney learned this year.

Welch work on ball handling and get in the best shape of your life.

Oto hit the weights and just play ball. You already play hard, I just think you need more experience playing american basketball.

Chip work on ball handling. Work on a midrange game.

MO get in the best shape of your life. There could be a ton of competition for minutes down low.

Also add Dre should just work on being a PG. Setting up the offense, making plays to get guys open, making the right passes, etc.

Dribbling skills for just about everyone on the team. As a team we are horrible at being in control with the ball. Improve on that and lots of postive things will follow.

For the whole team ball handling and shooting, work on specific shots which a certain player struggles like free throws, around the rim, or mid-range. You can never take too many shots and can always improve ball handling especially in the off season. I also agree some guys becoming more agressive would help this team a lot, its almost like guys are too unselfish at some points.

For the whole team ball handling and shooting, work on specific shots which a certain player struggles like free throws, around the rim, or mid-range. You can never take too many shots and can always improve ball handling especially in the off season. I also agree some guys becoming more agressive would help this team a lot, its almost like guys are too unselfish at some points.
Yep. Passing up open jumpers to try to make the extra pass for a closer shot, even if the guy is well covered.

All of the above fine points and I will add this simple refrain: Finish, Finish, Finish the darn play, learn to Finish strong despite the contact, instead of reflexively pulling back and coming up short. How many times did we see such strong moves only to be disappointed by the lack of finishing the play. (Breathe Bounder breathe).

I always think of Austin H as potentially Quincy L II. He has a long way to go to get there, but they are similar physically and athletically, seem to have similar personalities, both are bright kids. I think I recall Quincy really bloomed in his junior year, and improved even more as a senior. Don't know if it will happen, but that is what I hope to see.

Needs to work on his handle. Can not drive to the hole at this time. He takes a step or two, then pulls it back & passes out to Dre because he doesn't have the ability to handle the ball in traffic while driving the lane. His game is limited to coming off of curls & screens for jumpers.

Dribbling skills for just about everyone on the team. As a team we are horrible at being in control with the ball. Improve on that and lots of postive things will follow.

We only have one guard who can really handle the rock. Welch, Mav, Austin, Joe, Chip, all suspect when pressured. Dre's the only one who can go full speed through traffic & not lose his dribble.

As a team, if the Gophers can become more tenacious on defense they will be in good shape next season if they can become more productive on offense.

Needs to work on his handle. Can not drive to the hole at this time. He takes a step or two, then pulls it back & passes out to Dre because he doesn't have the ability to handle the ball in traffic while driving the lane. His game is limited to coming off of curls & screens for jumpers.
Except he has shown to be able to beat guys off the dribble, see Illinois OT at the Barn. You say he stops after 1 dribble because he can't handle it? I say he stops after 1 dribble because he's not very aggressive.

Top Bottom