***OFFICIAL wisconsin AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

The strategy when were on offense is dont worry about rebounds and get back on defense. On defense that is not the strategy. We fail to put a body on people. That offensive rebound they got last night with 20 seconds to go was a guy running from the corner while everyone just sat and watched which allowed wisconsin guy to tip it back. There were at least 5 offensive rebounds by wisconsin where i couldnt believe we didnt get.
And that tip should have been a foul on him. I think it was Battle who got hammered and ended up on the floor. God, I hate those f*****ers.

The strategy when were on offense is dont worry about rebounds and get back on defense. On defense that is not the strategy. We fail to put a body on people. That offensive rebound they got last night with 20 seconds to go was a guy running from the corner while everyone just sat and watched which allowed wisconsin guy to tip it back. There were at least 5 offensive rebounds by wisconsin where i couldnt believe we didnt get.
I have no doubt that the strategy to forego offensive boards has bled over to defensive rebounding as well. I imagine that the staff has done little on rebounding and blocking out in practice this year since it is not part of their strategy. They just have that drive or fight for the ball.

As someone who believes in defensive effort AND rebounding as the staples of a winning team, this strategy offends my basketball sensibilities. I understand why they have opted to go down this road this year but I can't wait until next year.

With additional numbers to allow starters to be more aggressive and the addition of some new players with some size, I hope that I can see some basketball that is more pleasing to the eye! I imagine that Johnson must feel the same way!

Fantastic job by Ben and the players last night. Even in a loss this was terrific ball movement and defense. The rebounding was terrible but a lot of the lost rebounds were long rebounds. We just don't have the physical size, strength and quickness to win those. If Ben can get a higher level of talent in here to work and move like these kids do- we are going to be really solid in years to come.
Once again we were only a rebounder and interior defender away from a win. Or, just a couple clutch free throw shooters away.

Johnson did put together a decent roster when you consider what Fox and Ihnen would have brought as rebounders and shot blockers at the rim. In a few of the losses that would have been the difference.

Once again we were only a rebounder and interior defender away from a win. Or, just a couple clutch free throw shooters away.

Johnson did put together a decent roster when you consider what Fox and Ihnen would have brought as rebounders and shot blockers at the rim. In a few of the losses that would have been the difference.
I dont really know why it would, but for some reason willis airball free throw kinda deflated me alittle. Could've taken the lead and we only got the tie! Would have been huge to finally take lead back!

On the rebounding, 100% understand Ben's idea here, we are less athletic/physical so just give up on the O-Reb end. I get it. That said, we are 357th out of 358th in offensive rebounding at 14.4%. That is something you simply can never have again, when the defense is virtually assured as only having to guard against 1 shot each possession you are fighting a huge uphill battle every game. If you want to look at it from a positive perspective, we are 171st in defensive rebounding rate, in the same area as a Duke/Iowa St/Kansas. Now i would like that to be higher, but the fact is we are middle of the pack there with the same less athletic guys so I think we are "teaching" or focusing on it enough that if you get more athletic that number should go up just because the whole run faster jump higher thing. I very much hope if/when we get better athletes Ben adjusts that O-Reb strategy some.

On another point someone made above "Do not want 2022-23 to be treated as a “throw away” season." I could not agree with a statement any more. I am certainly less patient than many, and I acknowledge that, but for me we can't end next year going, hey we didnt have any talent and boy did we try but its just not there, maybe in a few more years we will be consistently competitive! I have 0 interest in muddling on weakling wednesday for more years.

With Wahl, Crowl, and Hepburn they will be just fine. Hepburn will become a star.
oh for sure, I still think they could potentially take a step back and still be a good team..

we'll see

Man, could we use a Jordan Murphy type on this team. Battle is athletic enough, but he just doesn’t have the drive to go get rebounds. Curry has developed into a savvy post defender (for a guy who can’t block shots), but he is not a good rebounder. Our obvious team weakness has been very evident, as we are cream puff soft inside. That said, and as frustrating as these close losses have been, I never thought we’d be close to this competitive this year. I’m impressed with Ben’s Xs and Os; we just need better Jimmys and Joes.
To bad Brandon Johnson transfered this team sure could have used his rebounding and over all hustle.

I think you are right on. I can't imagine that anyone should see next season as a throw away. Johnson is coming up on one year at the helm and the unique circumstances of last year are no longer obstacles.

He has a product to show recruits now which I would think should be attractive to a wide assortment of players. He has begun establishing some solid relationships with local high school players. He should be able to recruit the portal well as there should be a bunch of grad transfers and other transfers who can see how the staff will be able to integrate them into a team.

I have been impressed with this staff's ability to build a team out of a small core bunch of undersized, athletically-challenged, under-recruited kids. I think this skill will be useful next year and beyond when working with a higher talent level. Next year can't come soon enough!

On the rebounding, 100% understand Ben's idea here, we are less athletic/physical so just give up on the O-Reb end. I get it. That said, we are 357th out of 358th in offensive rebounding at 14.4%. That is something you simply can never have again, when the defense is virtually assured as only having to guard against 1 shot each possession you are fighting a huge uphill battle every game. If you want to look at it from a positive perspective, we are 171st in defensive rebounding rate, in the same area as a Duke/Iowa St/Kansas. Now i would like that to be higher, but the fact is we are middle of the pack there with the same less athletic guys so I think we are "teaching" or focusing on it enough that if you get more athletic that number should go up just because the whole run faster jump higher thing. I very much hope if/when we get better athletes Ben adjusts that O-Reb strategy some.

On another point someone made above "Do not want 2022-23 to be treated as a “throw away” season." I could not agree with a statement any more. I am certainly less patient than many, and I acknowledge that, but for me we can't end next year going, hey we didnt have any talent and boy did we try but its just not there, maybe in a few more years we will be consistently competitive! I have 0 interest in muddling on weakling wednesday for more years.
I don't consider this season a throw away, nor will next season be one. After eight years of Pitino and what Johnson had to do to field a team this year, a wee bit of patience is in order. Most likely half, if not more, of this roster will turn over. With the new recruits coming in, the starting lineup will look way different, hopefully with a few surprises. I think Johnson's 3rd season is where we can start to have some higher expectations.

I don't consider this season a throw away, nor will next season be one. After eight years of Pitino and what Johnson had to do to field a team this year, a wee bit of patience is in order. Most likely half, if not more, of this roster will turn over. With the new recruits coming in, the starting lineup will look way different, hopefully with a few surprises. I think Johnson's 3rd season is where we can start to have some higher expectations.
If we're not at the very least on bubble in his third year, I'll be concerned

If we're not at the very least on bubble in his third year, I'll be concerned
I think that depends a bit on who ends up being starters next season. I can see a situation where he has a deeper bench and higher talent potential but still has several transfer starters who are one and done. He could end up 15-14 (6-14) for the regular season this year. Almost the same as Pitino last year. Will need to be close to .500 in B1G to be on the bubble year three. Definitely doable.

I watch what Ben has been doing and I can't help but compare him to the process that Clem Haskins put in place to make Minnesota a strong basketball program year in and year out.
I find myself smiling, despite the losses, because I can see the process and I believe Minnesota basketball is on a great trajectory.

12.5% of the way thru a Pitino 8 yr plan. Similar results. Pitino tree lives on…

To bad Brandon Johnson transfered this team sure could have used his rebounding and over all hustle.
I figured Robbins would follow Conroy, making Johnson the guy I really wanted to keep around. Like you say, hustle and a banger. I don't know how many wins he would have meant, but we wouldn't have been pushed around inside as much if Johnson had stayed (or Ihnen or Fox had been healthy).

Hey, I hate to lose to WI as much as the next guy.

But, setting the hate aside, let's remember this.

Going into the game you had 1 team with a record of 21-5 overall, 12-4 in the conference and ranked #13 in the Country. The other team had a record of 13-12 overall, 4-12 in the conference.

On paper, that is a mismatch.

but on the court, it was a 1-point game. (or a 4-pt game until a final 3 at the buzzer).

Again, I don't like losing. But it beats getting blown off the court by 20 points.

Before you can win the game, you have to be in the game.

The Gophers played a competitive game with a ranked team. it could be worse.

Regarding the complaining, it's clearly a strategy of theirs. I don't think it's something that would warrant a technical foul though, if that's what you're implying.

There are also coaches that complain non-stop and that is their strategy that makes them think they are influencing the refs. Hard to say if any of it works. I think last night the refs were inconsistent, but didn't necessarily end up favoring one team or the other (and I'm not always one to defend refs, if you've ever seen me in the football in-game threads).
BS !! It works,Loewe was knocked down by Davis with a high elbow , never did they even think about going to replay to change it to a flagrant 1. They should have.
Maybe its the coaching staff that needs to do a better job,so team on floor gets a better shake.

BS !! It works,Loewe was knocked down by Davis with a high elbow , never did they even think about going to replay to change it to a flagrant 1. They should have.
Maybe its the coaching staff that needs to do a better job,so team on floor gets a better shake.
I guess with my own interactions as a player and a coach, sometimes complaining works, sometimes it backfires. Multiple examples of both in my experience.

I have no doubt that the strategy to forego offensive boards has bled over to defensive rebounding as well. I imagine that the staff has done little on rebounding and blocking out in practice this year since it is not part of their strategy. They just have that drive or fight for the ball.

As someone who believes in defensive effort AND rebounding as the staples of a winning team, this strategy offends my basketball sensibilities. I understand why they have opted to go down this road this year but I can't wait until next year.

With additional numbers to allow starters to be more aggressive and the addition of some new players with some size, I hope that I can see some basketball that is more pleasing to the eye! I imagine that Johnson must feel the same way!
Amen brother. I would like our team to be described as tenacious/relentless. We need Vincent Greers, Paul Carters, Damien Johnsons, Trevor Mbakwes, Jordan Murpheys, etc.

With how the game has shifted to stretch forwards and focus on 3 point shots, I think there is a trend toward passivity. Don’t want to sound too Fleckish, but gopher ball needs to change the team culture from past coaches.

Those Badger players aren’t bigger than us, yet they back us down in the post, grind on the glass, work harder. We need more energy from the team (and the crowd). Let’s get this party rockin.’

Good game, but the Gophers lost because they failed to contain Steven Crowl.

Good game, but the Gophers lost because they failed to contain Steven Crowl.
That is one reason for sure but there were a few...Battle and Willis need to make free throws and we got out hustled too often on 50/50 balls among others. But hey, lose to the conference leader by one with six guys...I'd say that's an impressive outing year one.

That is one reason for sure but there were a few...Battle and Willis need to make free throws and we got out hustled too often on 50/50 balls among others. But hey, lose to the conference leader by one with six guys...I'd say that's an impressive outing year one.
If Crowl has half the points we win easy. Wahl and Davis are going to get there's and we did a reasonable job against them. Can't let a first year starter have a career night against us on the road, it was the nail in the coffin of the other reasons.

Amen brother. I would like our team to be described as tenacious/relentless. We need Vincent Greers, Paul Carters, Damien Johnsons, Trevor Mbakwes, Jordan Murpheys, etc.

With how the game has shifted to stretch forwards and focus on 3 point shots, I think there is a trend toward passivity. Don’t want to sound too Fleckish, but gopher ball needs to change the team culture from past coaches.

Those Badger players aren’t bigger than us, yet they back us down in the post, grind on the glass, work harder. We need more energy from the team (and the crowd). Let’s get this party rockin.’
It already has, if you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you. Johnson cobbled a team together with literally no time to do so, threw in some scotch tape and baling wire, and just took a top B1G team to the wire. He did it by instilling his view of how the game should be played, along with a grind it out mentality. mix in some higher talent with the same additude as this bunch, and we'll see a lot more wins.

I watch what Ben has been doing and I can't help but compare him to the process that Clem Haskins put in place to make Minnesota a strong basketball program year in and year out.
I find myself smiling, despite the losses, because I can see the process and I believe Minnesota basketball is on a great trajectory.
Clem was able to play his 1st recruiting class and let them get beat up on for a couple years before they made a Sweet 16 run.

I prefer Johnson take the same route. It will basically be a whole roster turnover again next season. Let the incoming freshman class take their lumps for a couple seasons while adding more depth and talent.

Johnson has shown he was ready for the coaching part of his job. Still remains to be seen if he can recruit well enough to elevate the program.

Losing is never impressive.

The big difference is Clem had a core young group first year he groomed to be stars by third year and legends by 4th. Ben is basically starting over again next year.

Top Bottom